ADVERTISEMENT

New Columbia Study Blames the White House for at Least 130,000 ‘Avoidable’ COVID Deaths

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
Caveat: It's from some South American JuCo but nevertheless...

New Columbia Study Blames the White House for at Least 130,000 ‘Avoidable’ COVID Deaths

A new report from Columbia University on COVID-19 deaths estimates that hundreds of thousands of Americans died because the United States’ response to the pandemic was an “abject failure,” particularly the actions of President Donald Trump. With an adequate response, the United States could have avoided tens of thousands of deaths and an incalculable amount of suffering, the researchers said.

Dr. Irwin Redlener, the lead author on the study and the founding director of the National Center for Disaster Preparedness, laid the blame at the feet of the White House in an interview with The Daily Beast: “We believe that this was a monumental, lethal screwup by an administration that didn’t want to deal with reality.”

In the report, titled “130,000–210,000 Avoidable COVID-19 Deaths—and Counting—in the U.S.”, researchers at Columbia’s NCDP studied “the staggering and disproportionate nature of COVID-19 fatalities in the United States.”

The researchers compared the coronavirus response of the U.S. to that of six other countries— South Korea, Japan, Australia, Germany, Canada, and France—and found that the American government’s response to the pandemic rated unfavorably against them all. The U.S. has suffered a COVID-19 fatality rate more than double that of Canada and 50 times that of Japan. Extrapolating from the deaths per 100,000 people in each country, the researchers estimated how the U.S. might have fared had it followed the example of a more robust response. The answer: always better than it did in reality.

“If the U.S. had followed Canadian policies and protocols, there might have only been 85,192 U.S. deaths—making more than 132,500 American deaths ‘avoidable.’ If the U.S. response had mirrored that of Germany, the U.S. may have only had 38,457 deaths—leaving 179,260 avoidable deaths,” the researchers wrote.

The researchers chose the half dozen countries that have achieved some level of success in responding to the pandemic.

“We should model ourselves on the best. We should be the best,” Redlener said. “We have the resources, the economy, the scientific expertise to do this the right way. We’re facing a lethal pandemic, and we had very misguided leadership that chose to berate the purveyors of masks and social distancing. The president himself became a superspreader. He has blood on his hands.”

Researchers cite several well-known but catastrophic factors that plagued the U.S. response: insufficient testing, delayed lockdowns, a lack of a unified federal response, and a failure to mandate non-medical interventions like masks and social distancing. American leaders, the researchers wrote, have shown a “failure to model best practices,” especially wearing masks during public appearances. Though research publications rarely venture into politics, both Scientific American and the New England Journal of Medicine have published editorials excoriating the Trump administration for its handling of the pandemic in the past month.

“There continues to be confusion, mismanagement, and dishonesty, and we’re reaping the consequences of misconduct in office. Usually academic publications are not so overtly political, but this incredibly anti-science administration has caused an enormous tragedy in America. The fact that these deaths could have been avoided is a stunning realization,” Redlener said.

More than 220,000 people in the United States have died of the coronavirus this year, and over 8.3 million have tested positive, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. Public health experts estimate that millions more have contracted the virus but not received an official diagnosis because of a lack of adequate testing. The actual death toll from the virus also may be much higher than recorded.

Public health officials across the country are warning that the upcoming winter may be an especially brutal period as coronavirus infections rise to a third peak and flu season arrives. Adding to that gloomy forecast, the Columbia researchers wrote that the federal government’s “continued mismanagement” of the pandemic shows few indications of improvement: “The abject failures of U.S. government policies and crisis messaging persist.”

The end, according to Redlener, is nowhere in sight.

“Americans have a bad case of pandemic fatigue. We want to get back to some semblance of normalcy, but we never did what we had to do to achieve that state,” he said. “We’ve delayed the return of normalcy and fallen into this web of dishonesty and opposing science that was concocted by the president.”

Anyone get around to blaming the Communist Chinese Party leadership yet?

Asking for 240,000 friends...
You must be Cuban-american. Clearly your reading & comprehension isn't the best attribute despite having read the article.

Buena suerte, mi amigo.

You must be Cuban-american. Clearly your reading & comprehension isn't the best attribute despite having read the article.

Buena suerte, mi amigo.

Didn't bother to read it...

You've become a one trick pony... : Orange man Badddd....

All I have to do is see it's a post by you and I don't even need to open it...

I'm sure your business partners are proud of you...

Reactions: IUSUMMERS

Agree. The fact that a POTUS is a racist, makes me pretty focused. Its completely unacceptable in my moral codes.

The fact that you can overlook that simple fact that he is racist, and one can defend him, says a lot more about you than me.

Last few days leave you salty? There is probably still some time to join the rioters at one of the counting sites. Be careful though, they’re like Afghanistan!

Orange man is bad. The Gaslighter in Chief is on the verge of a slow defeat, as he spirals down the conspiracy rabbit hole.

These articles are exhausting. So much more to it than this response. Economy; poverty; mental health; education; lack of medical screenings; lack of clinical trials for cancer; domestic abuse; school closings; the list is endless. These posts are just attacks and tunnel vision. That trump got 67 mil votes speaks volumes to this issue and lockdowns etc imo

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
These articles are exhausting. So much more to it than this response. Economy; poverty; mental health; education; lack of medical screenings; lack of clinical trials for cancer; domestic abuse; school closings; the list is endless. These posts are just attacks and tunnel vision.
You are slipping. You forgot your go to word: Shutdown.

You are slipping. You forgot your go to word: Shutdown.

I had a pop up on my FB that cancer research funding is down 50 percent due to Covid. I liked that for my list so I will use it more too. Not sure how it’s connected...but still....

I’m not responding to sgl directly as I trust he’s most cranky after that United performance this week.

Last edited:
This isn't all that complicated.

Look for modernized democracies with good health care caapcity & technology, like Germany as an example, then imagine if their infection & death rates were our infection & death rates, and compute the reduced carnage that comes from having capable leadership.

Then wait for excuses like
"Germany is too small"
"Germans are too obediant"
"They are sheep, we are not, except for the libtards"
"Obama is a Kenyan"

Reactions: sglowrider
This isn't all that complicated.

Look for modernized democracies with good health care caapcity & technology, like Germany as an example, then imagine if their infection & death rates were our infection & death rates, and compute the reduced carnage that comes from having capable leadership.

Then wait for excuses like
"Germany is too small"
"Germans are too obediant"
"They are sheep, we are not, except for the libtards"
"Obama is a Kenyan"

fyi

The population of Indiana all stuffed into the same geographical area of Indianapolis. NO deaths since June.

It comes down to having smart governments. Focused and they always find a way.

well I’m in the same boat post election Republican gov re-elected that’ll let counties handle Covid response and the dem doctor won Stl co again. Status quo

A new report from Columbia University on COVID-19 deaths estimates that hundreds of thousands of Americans died because the United States’ response to the pandemic was an “abject failure,” particularly the actions of President Donald Trump. With an adequate response, the United States could have avoided tens of thousands of deaths and an incalculable amount of suffering, the researchers said.

Dr. Irwin Redlener, the lead author on the study and the founding director of the National Center for Disaster Preparedness, laid the blame at the feet of the White House in an interview with The Daily Beast: “We believe that this was a monumental, lethal screwup by an administration that didn’t want to deal with reality.”

In the report, titled “130,000–210,000 Avoidable COVID-19 Deaths—and Counting—in the U.S.”, researchers at Columbia’s NCDP studied “the staggering and disproportionate nature of COVID-19 fatalities in the United States.”

The researchers compared the coronavirus response of the U.S. to that of six other countries— South Korea, Japan, Australia, Germany, Canada, and France—and found that the American government’s response to the pandemic rated unfavorably against them all. The U.S. has suffered a COVID-19 fatality rate more than double that of Canada and 50 times that of Japan. Extrapolating from the deaths per 100,000 people in each country, the researchers estimated how the U.S. might have fared had it followed the example of a more robust response. The answer: always better than it did in reality.

“If the U.S. had followed Canadian policies and protocols, there might have only been 85,192 U.S. deaths—making more than 132,500 American deaths ‘avoidable.’ If the U.S. response had mirrored that of Germany, the U.S. may have only had 38,457 deaths—leaving 179,260 avoidable deaths,” the researchers wrote.

The researchers chose the half dozen countries that have achieved some level of success in responding to the pandemic.

“We should model ourselves on the best. We should be the best,” Redlener said. “We have the resources, the economy, the scientific expertise to do this the right way. We’re facing a lethal pandemic, and we had very misguided leadership that chose to berate the purveyors of masks and social distancing. The president himself became a superspreader. He has blood on his hands.”

Researchers cite several well-known but catastrophic factors that plagued the U.S. response: insufficient testing, delayed lockdowns, a lack of a unified federal response, and a failure to mandate non-medical interventions like masks and social distancing. American leaders, the researchers wrote, have shown a “failure to model best practices,” especially wearing masks during public appearances. Though research publications rarely venture into politics, both Scientific American and the New England Journal of Medicine have published editorials excoriating the Trump administration for its handling of the pandemic in the past month.

“There continues to be confusion, mismanagement, and dishonesty, and we’re reaping the consequences of misconduct in office. Usually academic publications are not so overtly political, but this incredibly anti-science administration has caused an enormous tragedy in America. The fact that these deaths could have been avoided is a stunning realization,” Redlener said.

More than 220,000 people in the United States have died of the coronavirus this year, and over 8.3 million have tested positive, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. Public health experts estimate that millions more have contracted the virus but not received an official diagnosis because of a lack of adequate testing. The actual death toll from the virus also may be much higher than recorded.

Public health officials across the country are warning that the upcoming winter may be an especially brutal period as coronavirus infections rise to a third peak and flu season arrives. Adding to that gloomy forecast, the Columbia researchers wrote that the federal government’s “continued mismanagement” of the pandemic shows few indications of improvement: “The abject failures of U.S. government policies and crisis messaging persist.”

“Americans have a bad case of pandemic fatigue. We want to get back to some semblance of normalcy, but we never did what we had to do to achieve that state,” he said. “We’ve delayed the return of normalcy and fallen into this web of dishonesty and opposing science that was concocted by the president.”
Here is the problem. We are 50 separate states. Each of these states has governors and mayors of major cities. Do any of these have any blame? Why is it just centralized blaming? Is it Trump's fault that Cuomo put covid patients in nursing homes and killed thousands? Did he order Cuomo to do it? The same could be asked about Gov Whitmer in Michigan. Remember that video of the young man beating up an old man? The young man had covid and was staying in the same room as the old man. Gov Whitmer caused this. Did she receive orders from Trump to do this?

An administration does not have to have dictator-level authority to lead.

If the executive branch of the Federal government, acting erratically and independently, blowing in the wind, says one thing one day and then tells governors to ignore advice and protocols as specified by the CDC, do you think if negatively affects outcomes? I do.

If the executive and legislative branches of the Federal government worked together with health officials and maybe even with Homeland Security, and asked governors to follow advice and protocols as specified by the CDC, do you think there would have been pretty widespread compliance? I do. 100%? No. 90%? maybe.

An administration does not have to have dictator-level authority to lead.

If the executive branch of the Federal government, acting erratically and independently, blowing in the wind, says one thing one day and then tells governors to ignore advice and protocols as specified by the CDC, do you think if negatively affects outcomes? I do.

If the executive and legislative branches of the Federal government worked together with health officials and maybe even with Homeland Security, and asked governors to follow advice and protocols as specified by the CDC, do you think there would have been pretty widespread compliance? I do. 100%? No. 90%? maybe.
70 million people are voting for trump. what YOU want isn't representative of what tens of millions of americans want. just like what i want isn't what tens of millions of americans want. this was always going to be a divided issues regardless of a president's words

I'd think that most of the 70 million people voting for Trump would have been inclined to follow good advice from him, just as most of the 70 million people voting for Trump were inclined to follow bad advice from him.

I suppose you could argue then that the Democrats would have been the anti-mask warriors, but I would bet that they are less monolithic and are more likely to attempt to understand and follow sound science.

So the bottom line is that we are in a better place when a POTUS is a responsible leader and spreads sound science-backed advice calmly yet with conviction, rather than spreading bad advice and crackpot conspiracy theories while blowing in the wind. In short, preferably, the POTUS is committed to protecting the well-being of the people he/she serves.

I don't see why that's a bold statement in any way, but I guess you object to associating a body count with choosing to spread bad advice and crackpot conspiracy theories while blowing in the wind.

I'd think that most of the 70 million people voting for Trump would have been inclined to follow good advice from him, just as most of the 70 million people voting for Trump were inclined to follow bad advice from him.

I suppose you could argue then that the Democrats would have been the anti-mask warriors, but I would bet that they are less monolithic and are more likely to attempt to understand and follow sound science.

So the bottom line is that we are in a better place when a POTUS is a responsible leader and spreads sound science-backed advice calmly yet with conviction, rather than spreading bad advice and crackpot conspiracy theories while blowing in the wind. In short, preferably, the POTUS is committed to protecting the well-being of the people he/she serves.

I don't see why that's a bold statement in any way, but I guess you object to associating a body count with choosing to spread bad advice and crackpot conspiracy theories while blowing in the wind.
the republicans i know are strongly on board with masks. it's lockdowns they oppose and they associate lockdowns with dems.

the republicans i know are strongly on board with masks. it's lockdowns they oppose and they associate lockdowns with dems.
The decision to do, or not do, long lockdowns is not a contributing factor to the analysis that is the subject of this thread, other than the long delay in choosing to do anything at all.

Why are U.S. deaths disproportionately high?
1) Insufficient testing capacity.
2) Delayed response.
3) Lack of mask mandate or guidance.
4) Politicization, leadership vacuum, and the failure of top officials to model best practices.

It might help to read what you are commenting on, in an effort to improve the intelligence of your comments.

The decision to do, or not do, long lockdowns is not a contributing factor to the analysis that is the subject of this thread, other than the long delay in choosing to do anything at all.

Why are U.S. deaths disproportionately high?
1) Insufficient testing capacity.
2) Delayed response.
3) Lack of mask mandate or guidance.
4) Politicization, leadership vacuum, and the failure of top officials to model best practices.

It might help to read what you are commenting on, in an effort to improve the intelligence of your comments.
Lmao GFY. You still don’t have a six grade understanding of federalism. 70 million people came out to vote for the worst president in American history because of dumb shits like you

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country".

Oh wait, Federalism... your motto is instead...

"We don't give a shit about you, nor you about us. Ask not what you can do for your neighbor, screw that, ask how you can get yours. While you're at it, pown the cannibalistic pedophile libtards.

Lmao GFY. You still don’t have a six grade understanding of federalism. 70 million people came out to vote for the worst president in American history because of dumb shits like you
ajslp-15-0042finke_featimage.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66

You vastly overestimate the number of people looking to politicians for medical advice. NOBODY I know does.

Yes, Rube Slackjawski .. many have. They and Trump both need held accountable for the lies told and lives lost. fwiw 80,000 of those belong to the CCP, the rest lie in Trump's very tiny hands..

You vastly overestimate the number of people looking to politicians for medical advice. NOBODY I know does.
Observing the many Trump Super-Spreader rallies from afar, I'd say that his followers heed his bad advice / bad personal examples very enthusiastically

Observing the many Trump Super-Spreader rallies from afar, I'd say that his followers heed his bad advice / bad personal examples very enthusiastically
right but you ignore the florida block party events without masks and a thousand other things that led to the spread of covid. do you ever even feign objectivity? about anything? or is it just trump, trump, trump for you? you realize 70 million people in this country don't think like you do.

Do you really think 70 million voters like trump? I doubt half of them “like/tolerate” him. They just bought the bs about socialism & the stock market crashing.

Can't wait to see the study on NY's response. Not shutting down public transportation, sending sick people to nursing homes, allowing protesting, etc. Let me know when Columbia and the good Doc complete that "study".

The second Biden takes office he will be responsible and accountable for every last COVID death, no excuses. The blood will be on his hands. The poor people at the kitchen table missing their friend or loved one, it’s on Joey.

The second Biden takes office he will be responsible and accountable for every last COVID death, no excuses. The blood will be on his hands. The poor people at the kitchen table missing their friend or loved one, it’s on Joey.
Good thing for him the virus went away yesterday, right? Isn't that what you pubs said for months?

Agree. The fact that a POTUS is a racist, makes me pretty focused. Its completely unacceptable in my moral codes.

The fact that you can overlook that simple fact that he is racist, and one can defend him, says a lot more about you than me.

Another radical left winger loosely throwing around that “racist” card.
Trump is so racist that he actually increased votes for him amongst minorities.
I guess they’re racists as well?

It’s a great strategy: don’t agree with me? I’ll just call you a racist.

Just what I would expect from a Joe “Super Predator” Biden supporter.

Reactions: 76-1

He didn’t say that. Lol. And yes, Trump is without a doubt a racist and has shown us that year after year by both words and actions.

Trump is going to lose sometime around 3 a.m. this morning when Pennsylvania takes Joe Biden over the top. I am not going to be ecstatic but I will be relieved. And then hopefully tomorrow as a country we will take a new look at this ongoing covid crisis. 120000 new cases yesterday.

Trump is going to lose sometime around 3 a.m. this morning when Pennsylvania takes Joe Biden over the top. I am not going to be ecstatic but I will be relieved. And then hopefully tomorrow as a country we will take a new look at this ongoing covid crisis. 120000 new cases yesterday.

Sadly this 120k today won't be the peak. It will be broken soon.
That's why the summer window to break the back of the pandemic was critical.

• Sad
Reactions: outside shooter
Do you really think 70 million voters like trump? I doubt half of them “like/tolerate” him. They just bought the bs about socialism & the stock market crashing.

You think that a senile geriatric and a radical leftist were that appealing either?

Can’t wait until Kommisar Kamala puts in place one of her weird social agendas that has you scratching your head and maybe looking at your wallet.

He didn’t say that. Lol. And yes, Trump is without a doubt a racist and has shown us that year after year by both words and actions.

If Trump is racist...he’s in good company with Joe Biden and you, zeke. You’re also a racist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT