ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach Choices

I never started the fighting speak. You old boys did. Remember your racist buddy that came in here and you told him I need an ass kicking?

Your situational awareness is astounding. I would PAY to see you try and grow up in my era. Without a keyboard and multiple screen names, you wouldn't last long.

Enjoy that heavy bag. Best thing about it? It doesn't hit back.

Your situational awareness is astounding. I would PAY to see you try and grow up in my era. Without a keyboard and multiple screen names, you wouldn't last long.

Back in your day custodian, I never would have made it. You are a man among men to tell the tale.

Reactions: Remain
Am I allowed to use my hands? Lol. I am 35 and in the best shape of my life and work out on a heavy bag a few times a week. I’m not gonna go to jail for beating up a old man lol.
I'm sure Aloha isn't looking for a fight either but he's a tough old buzzard. LOL!

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
".13"?

What is this,
multiple posters?
One poster multiple names?
Sequential post-banning reincarnations?

Lol. Custodiangeez got a few handles banned. Probably highlight of his year thus far. His mod buddy got very concerned about this board and me calling him out for being racist. You will notice there is never any inappropriate conversation or trolls here, I had to be taken care of.

Lol. Custodiangeez got a few handles banned. Probably highlight of his year thus far. His mod buddy got very concerned about this board and me calling him out for being racist. You will notice there is never any inappropriate conversation or trolls here, I had to be taken care of.

12 bannings? Yikes

A distant second around here but still quite an effort.

Am I allowed to use my hands? Lol. I am 35 and in the best shape of my life and work out on a heavy bag a few times a week. I’m not gonna go to jail for beating up a old man lol.
We're even. I'm not wanting to go to jail for beating up a younger man.

Reactions: MrBing
meds and drugs are the same thing. People get butthurt on a free internet chat room, this is my 13th name. This gives me giggles in this shitty covid where I can’t go socialize and go to games.
Don’t take the internet that serious.

Yo my main Hoss,

You know I'm a big fan of yours but drop the tough guy stuff, Ok lil Cooter?

btw, how'd you do on the NFL yesterday?

I lost badly on the Packers but made up for it with the Chiefs and some props

Yo my main Hoss,

You know I'm a big fan of yours but drop the tough guy stuff, Ok lil Cooter?

btw, how'd you do on the NFL yesterday?

I lost badly on the Packers but made up for it with the Chiefs and some props

Dont worry Jethro, I dont have that hillbilly strength you got from years of inbreeding, I would never come callin down your holler.

Had a futures bet on TB to win the NFC at +525, that was a good hit. Pussed out and hedged a bit with a live bet of packers +150. Also pussed out on not going bigger on the chiefs, I just had a small bet on them.

But I won yesterday for sure.

Reactions: B_Town_Buford
meds and drugs are the same thing. People get butthurt on a free internet chat room, this is my 13th name. This gives me giggles in this shitty covid where I can’t go socialize and go to games.
Don’t take the internet that serious.

OK let me make this easier for your limited intellectual skills. Do you take meds or ILLEGAL drugs? 99% would understand that but apparently you need a flow chart.

Just the mention of Pitino coming to IU by fans tells you exactly how desperate this fan base is now. If we hired him, we could win five national championships in a row and I wouldn't watch. I wouldn't want him even before all the nonsense at UL.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Pearl is actually, on paper, more difficult to justify than Pitino. Pitino was cleared of any self involvement ... Pearl is dealing with a self-imposed ban this year. Money will fix it, and we pay enough ... just to bad choices, we could do as well or better than current results paying 500K to about half of all coaches
Hmmm, there was that little incident that led to a blackmail trial that left a mark......

I never had any personal dealings with Kelvin Sampson. But I had a number of personal dealings with Bruce Pearl when he was at USI. If his positivity and enthusiasm is an act, he's a fantastic actor who has never, in my experience, let the act down.

Let me put it this way, last March USI celebrated the 25th anniversary of his 1995 National Championship team during a game. Auburn also had a game that day -- against Kentucky. Big game. And Kentucky ended up winning. Shortly after the tough loss, Pearl hopped on a plane and flew back to Evansville to take part in the celebration with his old team. And it was all smiles and hugs. Virtually the entire roster made the effort to be there along with their former coach.

It's no act. He's the real deal. But, yeah, he does have a casual relationship with the rules -- and that's ironically always been what has kept him from reaching his true potential. Because he really is a terrific basketball coach.
That is my impression of him from SIU days also.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
Explain...and be specific.

We’re not going to pay him more than he’s already making, he has no ties to IU, he had the option for better jobs than us after the F4 run and decided to sign an extension, his entire family is in Texas. I could go on, but you get the point, you’re latching onto fairy tales is what I’m saying.

The guy has signed two straight contract extensions since he’s been there, in that time he’s been the hottest name in the college ranks. When will you people learn to take no for an answer?

And just because he once crossed paths with Knight does not mean that he sees us as anything more than a fallen blue blood desperately trying to cling to relevance.

People don’t view this job like they once did, you need to get over yourself.

We’re not going to pay him more than he’s already making, he has no ties to IU, he had the option for better jobs than us after the F4 run and decided to sign an extension, his entire family is in Texas. I could go on, but you get the point, you’re latching onto fairy tales is what I’m saying.

The guy has signed two straight contract extensions since he’s been there, in that time he’s been the hottest name in the college ranks. When will you people learn to take no for an answer?

And just because he once crossed paths with Knight does not mean that he sees us as anything more than a fallen blue blood desperately trying to cling to relevance.

Four specifics in there. Extension, ties, family and pay. You are wrong about two.

The rest was conjecture.

"getting over myself" is not an issue here...blind conjecture is.

Four specifics in there. Extension, ties, family and pay. You are wrong about two.

The rest was conjecture.

"getting over myself" is not an issue here...blind conjecture is.

Two what? Extensions?https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lu...d-straight-contract-extension?template=ampart

I suppose it’s possible he might come here one day in the same way Bill Self or Jay Wright might come here. My advice to you is to dig in and keep the faith, despite evidence proving you should let it go.

Does anyone know Calbert’s area of coaching with the pacers? Guards, forwards?
No idea if he would be a success here but I would take him over archie

Bull. Is it the same job it was 30 years ago? Obviously not, but many of the folks who recognize the advantages most keenly are coaches themselves. You have to get away from the trees a bit to see the forest. You want me to make the pitch for IU vs T Tech, it's simple: At T Tech you will always, ALWAYS be 2nd fiddle to: football, UT, and Kansas... and probably spring football. Some years you might best them, but year in year out the fball program will get the shiny new car and you're getting the hand-me-down, and UT and KU will get the better recruits you desire.

At IU, you are the premier program, not only at your own school, but also in the state and if you can rebuild the brand, you can be the big dog, or one of the big dogs in the conference. For a guy who truly wants a NC and to be at the highest level of his profession, IU is still the choice. He may have TX ties as you say, be totally happy there and never want to leave, but there are career advantages at IU that you'll never enjoy at Tx Tech.

PS, and yes, if he can deliver, he will get more $$ at IU, but he's going to have to deliver first to get the much bigger paycheck.

Bull. Is it the same job it was 30 years ago? Obviously not, but many of the folks who recognize the advantages most keenly are coaches themselves. You have to get away from the trees a bit to see the forest. You want me to make the pitch for IU vs T Tech, it's simple: At T Tech you will always, ALWAYS be 2nd fiddle to: football, UT, and Kansas... and probably spring football. Some years you might best them, but year in year out the fball program will get the shiny new car and you're getting the hand-me-down, and UT and KU will get the better recruits you desire.

At IU, you are the premier program, not only at your own school, but also in the state and if you can rebuild the brand, you can be the big dog, or one of the big dogs in the conference. For a guy who truly wants a NC and to be at the highest level of his profession, IU is still the choice. He may have TX ties as you say, be totally happy there and never want to leave, but there are career advantages at IU that you'll never enjoy at Tx Tech.

PS, and yes, if he can deliver, he will get more $$ at IU, but he's going to have to deliver first to get the much bigger paycheck.

He already is one of the Big Dogs in the conference. A conference that is just as competitive as the B1G. He can win a championship there, he was in the championship game two years ago, elite 8 the year before. If IU wants to make him a 6+ million dollar offer, maybe he'd consider it, do you see that happening?

Last edited:
Agree it is doubtful Beard even listens to us. He built a solid program there that at this point is pretty much no pressure. It is a football school so he will never be under the microscope like he would be at IU. The Big is a much tougher conference as well. Why give up what is in essence a lifetime job to take a chance at IU? Won't happen. The next coach has to be someone with a commitment and drive to succeed that is huge. Plus, supreme self confidence.

Agree it is doubtful Beard even listens to us. He built a solid program there that at this point is pretty much no pressure. It is a football school so he will never be under the microscope like he would be at IU. The Big is a much tougher conference as well. Why give up what is in essence a lifetime job to take a chance at IU? Won't happen. The next coach has to be someone with a commitment and drive to succeed that is huge. Plus, supreme self confidence.

Why do you say the B1G is a tougher conference? It hasn't had a higher RPI than the Big 12 since the 2012-2013 season.

Lubbock isn’t the easiest place in the world to recruit to. He had some success, and he’s clearly a great coach, but if he’s going to have long term success at being elite in Lubbock, he’s going to need to change up how he is building his teams (less reliance on mercenary type players).

IU has some logistical advantages over Lubbock from a recruiting standpoint (not being in the middle of nowhere).

I’m not sold IU is willing to pony up more money than these schools. I’m sure they would pay maybe 5 million a year? But if they really want Beard offer him 100 million for 10 years. I don’t think IU is willing to pay someone the most money in the profession, that’s what it takes to get someone of that magnitude to come here. Paying them an extra a million a year ain’t gonna do it, it needs to be a big increase in money, and really it needs to be close if not more than what the top coaches are being paid.

I’m not sold IU is willing to pony up more money than these schools. I’m sure they would pay maybe 5 million a year? But if they really want Beard offer him 100 million for 10 years. I don’t think IU is willing to pay someone the most money in the profession, that’s what it takes to get someone of that magnitude to come here. Paying them an extra a million a year ain’t gonna do it, it needs to be a big increase in money, and really it needs to be close if not more than what the top coaches are being paid.
I don't think IU is willing, or able at this point, to pony up that kind of money. I've thought all along, our best bet at getting a home run is the same as we did it last time: finding a diamond in the rough and hiring that guy. It's not what I want or most excites me, but I'd agree, we're not paying someone 6+ million a year. To get to that level, they'll need to come here and get us back to national relevancy, which will increase the coffers and loosen the purse strings... as it did at TX Tech.

I don't think IU is willing, or able at this point, to pony up that kind of money. I've thought all along, our best bet at getting a home run is the same as we did it last time: finding a diamond in the rough and hiring that guy. It's not what I want or most excites me, but I'd agree, we're not paying someone 6+ million a year. To get to that level, they'll need to come here and get us back to national relevancy, which will increase the coffers and loosen the purse strings... as it did at TX Tech.
Big 10 money makes plenty of things possible, but decades long provincial thinking is what keeps bold moves from happening at IU. Miller isn’t go anywhere until at least next year.

No coach ever is going to get a 10 year $100 million contract off the bat. That is patently absurd and it completely handcuffs your entire athletic department for years. These guys like Calipari and Coach K are getting big extensions (after multiple years of success) as it literally makes the impossible to be poached. And while I think Beard would do extremely well in Bloomington, guaranteeing him $100 million means you're stuck with him regardless. Our friends to the south are finding out what its like to be handcuffed to a large coaching contract.

No coach ever is going to get a 10 year $100 million contract off the bat. That is patently absurd and it completely handcuffs your entire athletic department for years. These guys like Calipari and Coach K are getting big extensions (after multiple years of success) as it literally makes the impossible to be poached. And while I think Beard would do extremely well in Bloomington, guaranteeing him $100 million means you're stuck with him regardless. Our friends to the south are finding out what its like to be handcuffed to a large coaching contract.

Are you referring to UK? As in they are in trouble that they gave him a lifetime contract? You can’t be that stupid, no way, right?

UK is having a down year, and no one would be shocked if they started streaking and made the tourney, No1, well except morons. Before that they went to elite 8, sweet 16, elite 8, round of 32, undefeated till final four.

Coach Cal is the elite of the elite and any Kentucky fan clamoring to get rid of him should be called custodian as well.

Further, when cal came to UK he was made the highest paid coach at the time, that is why they got him.

back in my day we walked to school in the snow and we had to hunt our dinner. *spit* kids these days don’t know about harred work.

• Haha
Are you referring to UK? As in they are in trouble that they gave him a lifetime contract? You can’t be that stupid, no way, right?

UK is having a down year, and no one would be shocked if they started streaking and made the tourney, No1, well except morons. Before that they went to elite 8, sweet 16, elite 8, round of 32, undefeated till final four.

Coach Cal is the elite of the elite and any Kentucky fan clamoring to get rid of him should be called custodian as well.

Further, when cal came to UK he was made the highest paid coach at the time, that is why they got him.

No I was referring to Purdue and Jeff Brohm.

And not disputing Calipari wasn't the highest paid coach in the country when he took the UK job. But his contract wasn't anywhere near 10 years nor $100 million dollars. No university is going to handcuff their athletic department with that kind of contract before someone ever coaches a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT