ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach Choices

Your brain is thicker than the walls at Ft. Knox.

Lol. Lynch went 3-21 in the B10 his last 3 years. He was terrible. He left Wilson devoid of talent and they were the youngest team in the country his first year. IU went to back to back bowl games for the first time in 30 years under Wilson. Not recognizing Wilson as anything other than instrumental to IU’s football program is pure asinine. You’re probably the same blowhard advocating for Pearl or Pitino despite the red flags. Probably the same guy who says IU should have never fired Sampson. But yes, lets shit on Glass.

Reactions: kmathum
Enlighten me, why dumb? If you have aspirations of NBA money, why stick around another year with no meaningful development to get your game more NBA 1st round draft worthy. Archie has yet to develop one shooter at IU, not one. He can't even recruit players that already know how to shoot. Guys TJD's size need a reliable midrange to play. Also, physically he'll be disadvantaged in the NBA. If I'm him and i really want to play in the NBA, I'd go somewhere where I can get trained to play in the NBA, that isn't IU right now with Archie.

Lol. Lynch went 3-21 in the B10 his last 3 years. He was terrible. He left Wilson devoid of talent and they were the youngest team in the country his first year. IU went to back to back bowl games for the first time in 30 years under Wilson. Not recognizing Wilson as anything other than instrumental to IU’s football program is pure asinine. You’re probably the same blowhard advocating for Pearl or Pitino despite the red flags. Probably the same guy who says IU should have never fired Sampson. But yes, let’s shit on Glass.

I agree with you about Wilson.

But not about Pearl. Hire him -- and put him on a leash. I truly think he's one of the very best in the business.

I agree with you about Wilson.

But not about Pearl. Hire him -- and put him on a leash. I truly think he's one of the very best in the business.

I agree, Pearl, as well as Sampson pound for pound are two of the best coaches in college basketball. But you can’t take that risk. Sampson supposedly had a leash and he set IU’s program back more than a decade. If it happens again, it may be the end of it. Pearl can’t help himself. There’s a huge difference between hiring a dick (and a drunk) and hiring a habitual cheater. IU basketball has done and put up with both. One is defensible, the other isn’t.

IU football was in a (much) better place when Wilson left than when he took over. That's fact. There's nothing that makes that a botched hire. Sorry.
Nonsense. There were other coaches available who could’ve done what KW did, and without all of the side issues. You’re making the same argument that people made when Kelvin Sampson was hired, only to be subsequently fired. You know, on the front end, that someone had issues, yet you hire them anyway. Then, when you can longer tolerate those issues, you let them go for reasons that you knew from the start. That’s a failure. That‘s a textbook botched hire. Sorry.

Lol. Lynch went 3-21 in the B10 his last 3 years. He was terrible. He left Wilson devoid of talent and they were the youngest team in the country his first year. IU went to back to back bowl games for the first time in 30 years under Wilson. Not recognizing Wilson as anything other than instrumental to IU’s football program is pure asinine. You’re probably the same blowhard advocating for Pearl or Pitino despite the red flags. Probably the same guy who says IU should have never fired Sampson. But yes, lets shit on Glass.

No, no & no, but carry on.

Reactions: Cavanagh
You say "It's easy to look backwards and throw rocks at Fred Glass...". Yes, it certainly is. Because that hire was perhaps as critical as any since Knight, and it has turned out to be a disaster. So I'd like to know the answers to kkott's questions--did Fred seriously consider anyone other than Archie? Holtmann? Did Fred have a 'home run' interview with Archie? I wonder, because Archie's first PC was less than inspiring--what did Fred see in Archie when they met face to face? Were there warning signs? Did he make the safe hire or the best hire?

We'll never know the answers to these questions, so I can't give Fred a pass. I can't really condemn him either, except to say that he made the hire and bears the responsibility.
The OSU job wasn't open until after IU hired Archie. Here in Ohio people expected Matta to leave that summer because of his health and were hoping that IU didn't hire Archie because they wanted him. He was OSU fans first choice. He was the only name I heard from OSU fans really. I know I was very happy IU got Miller because I watched a lot of UD ball and loved the way they played. So the point is that I think most people thought Archie was the best choice of the two but no one ever really knows how things will work out. They improved each of the first three years and were in the tournament last year if there was one but I'm disappointed that improvement hasn't been big enough to meet our expectations. And this season has the potential to be a disaster. But it's not over! There are a lot of tough games IU could win too and make this into a good season. I can't see the future either except I know it's 99.9% for sure Archie won't be fired after this season. He will have one more season and if it's not a good one then it will be time to move on then. Until then I'm going to hope some players hit their shots and IU wins every game just like I always do. Even decent shooting really cures our offense problem because the shots are there but they miss them. We're also missing Brunk. Big time.

What's so hard about this to understand? In the group of "up and coming" coaches, Archie was pretty widely considered to be at or near the head of the class c.2017. Yeah, I get that there are and were more established names out there -- Donovan and whatnot.

The last time Duke hired a coach was 40 years ago. And he was an "up and coming" guy -- then. The last time UNC, KU, and UK made hires, they each hired veterans who had been successful at other major programs.

There was nothing wrong with Archie's hiring. There was nothing that Glass should've seen that would've made him wary. He was generally considered one of the top 2 or 3 coaches in the "up and coming" market at the time (if not the top one). It just hasn't panned out, for whatever reason.

It hasn't panned out because mid-major coaches flame out at a high rate. Archie was a good hire at the time, but far from home run.

It hasn't panned out because mid-major coaches flame out at a high rate. Archie was a good hire at the time, but far from home run.

You have any kind of statistical analysis to back that claim? Everyone starts somewhere and 99.9% of the time it's not at an elite job.

Did you constantly think the head cheerleader in HS was going to come around and date you too? Do you still think that? I'm guessing that's more likely than BS coming to IU, so give her a ring.

Actually I did date a cheerleader in high school it was your mom.

Reactions: Radio Zero
A former Indiana player gave my dad some info

Ears perk up expecting something juicy!

that with covid going on the budget is tight

Other than Zoom, Amazon, Netflix, and Charmin, whose isn't? That's no revelation.

but we have to cut ties with Archie.

An opinion that just happens to be shared by at least 80% of those with IU loyalties.

Also said Glass won't be hiring next coach.

I'd hope not. He retired.

Also said Archie is not a players coach.

Ears flop down in disappointment....like when I was in the basement with my girlfriend and I heard my mom walking down to....er...see if we wanted something to eat.

Your dad needs to get a better inside source, nd!!

Ears perk up expecting something juicy!

Other than Zoom, Amazon, Netflix, and Charmin, whose isn't? That's no revelation.

An opinion that just happens to be shared by at least 80% of those with IU loyalties.

I'd hope not. He retired.

Ears flop down in disappointment....like when I was in the basement with my girlfriend and I heard my mom walking down to....er...see if we wanted something to eat.

Your dad needs to get a better inside source, nd!!

Check your private messages.

Davis was going to be fired. He We preempted this by resigning his position.

The amazing part in all of that?

Davis was 9-2 against Purdue. He was beating Keady like a drum. Admittedly, those Purdue teams were about as inept as this IU program under Archie.

The day we hired Wilson I went to the NW board to read up on him, because he had been a long-time OC there. I was very surprised to read there were numerous posts questioning the hire, based on his temperament, use of alcohol et al. So there were warning signs. Then, if you'll remember, he had all kinds of early issues when he got to B-Ton along those lines. So he was always a potential problem. Then Fred put him on double-secret probation, and you know the rest of the story.

So Fred gets no credit for hiring Wilson. We were lucky to get out of that situation with no major lawsuits. And he gets no credit for hiring TC as head coach, as that was a no-brainer under the circumstances.

Now....whoever had the idea of bringing in CTA as DC deserves a lot of credit. That story's been on here before....as I recall, it wasn't Wilson's idea initially, but I don't know whose idea it was. Fred had to sign off on it, so give him some credit there.

Going back to Fred......he's botched 2 contracts (Crean & Archie) and his hiring of CAM has turned out to be a disaster.

On the other hand, give him credit for his $ raising and his visiblity, and the facilities. He was very good there.
Glass did not hire Crean.

It's like what @Courtsensetwo always says: who in their right mind wouldn't jump at the chance to come to the most picturesque campus in the country?
Evidently a lot of people. Several people said no before we even got to Sanctions.

Anyone in their right mind would avoid Indiana like Covid. They know how toxic the gig is now, and we can't use the "it's hard to follow the legend" excuse anymore. We farked the job up, and we're never getting back.

Glass did not hire Crean.
But he did botch the extension. While we made 2 out of 4 NCAAs (and one NIT), our program was pretty anemic. We fluked to the one conference title when JBJ got hurt mid-conference, improving our defense dramatically (and Yogi played like the man he was recruited to be three years earlier). But all in all, we were a mess.

Davis was going to be fired. He preempted this by resigning his position.
People tend to forget Herbert was the IU President then and clearly was in Davis' corner. This was not a cut and dried situation. Public perception may agree with you, but it certainly wasn't a sure thing.
You mean like Kevin Wilson?
Two totally different situations. Would be interesting if we ever get to hear Wilson's point of view of how things went down.
And technically, a pirate who was forced to walk the plank wasn't executed....he committed suicide.
That's clever. I'll have to remember that one. It still doesn't change the fact Davis was not fired from IU and stepped down on his own accord. As I replied above, with Herbert around at that time, MD may have lasted another season or more, despite what the fans wanted or believed.

Davis was not fired from IU and stepped down on his own accord.

He stepped down — but not on his own accord.

If the PTBs of that time had said “Mike, we know it’s been rough going. But we have total faith in you and want you on the sidelines next year,” I’m sure that MD would’ve gladly complied.

One way or the other, his days at IU were over. The “walk the plank” analogy isn’t just clever, it’s applicable.

it is a black eye on the university that they hired Sampson, an avid phone caller that allowed trafficking of cocaine and thugs to run wild on our campus.

Wilson, being a raging alcoholic and passing out in a dorm on campus too drunk to know where he was is perfectly exceptable because he almost had an over .500 record at IU and started producing results on the field......what!

Its not like Sampson recruited the best player in Indiana and had a team that could win it all in his second year.

good lord this shit is so blatantly racist. Unreal. Old white phucks need to die.

I wouldn't expect someone who just yesterday openly bragged about paling around with Armon Bassett, who last I heard was on trial for dealing narcotics, possessing a firearm illegally, and beating the absolute piss out of his baby mama in front of her child, to understand either. Glad your 7 year joy ride on mommy and daddy's dime earned you a degree, but you're a flat out embarrassment to Indiana University.

I wouldn't expect someone who just yesterday openly bragged about paling around with Armon Bassett, who last I heard was on trial for dealing narcotics, possessing a firearm illegally, and beating the absolute piss out of his baby mama in front of her child, to understand either. Glad your 7 year joy ride on mommy and daddy's dime earned you a degree, but you're a flat out embarrassment to Indiana University.

Listen shit stain. I paid for every dime of my college, I have been working since 12, and am sick of old white racist POS like you.

Crean in the stretch of 3 years had around 10 player incidents resulting in arrest. Every other week on ESPN.com was another headline of IU players getting arrested. Hanner got arrested multiple times, once for driving the wrong way down Kirkwood while absolutely hammered and could have killed your grand daughter. Emmit and Davis played drunk frogger on 17th street and they were close to killing one another while drunk. Hanner after getting kicked out, came back and continued to party with the new recruits (TB) and got arrested again. How bout the WHITE EYE that Crean left? Where is the rage over that?

Not one ****ing arrest under Sampson. You think we aren't gonna read about Hanner getting deported soon? Bassett went down the wrong road AFTER he left IU, while he was here he got high and won basketball games. Didn't undermine his coach, that were the players under Crean. Like your captain (yogi) trying to get in to Kilroys underage little 5 week. NO RESPECT for the university or coach.

Where is your rage for the thugs under Crean you racist POS.

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman
Listen shit stain. I paid for every dime of my college, I have been working since 12, and am sick of old white racist POS like you.

Crean in the stretch of 3 years had around 10 player incidents resulting in arrest. Every other week on ESPN.com was another headline of IU players getting arrested. Hanner got arrested multiple times, once for driving the wrong way down Kirkwood while absolutely hammered and could have killed your grand daughter. Emmit and Davis played drunk frogger on 17th street and they were close to killing one another while drunk. Hanner after getting kicked out, came back and continued to party with the new recruits (TB) and got arrested again. How bout the WHITE EYE that Crean left? Where is the rage over that?

Not one ****ing arrest under Sampson. You think we aren't gonna read about Hanner getting deported soon? Bassett went down the wrong road AFTER he left IU, while he was here he got high and won basketball games. Didn't undermine his coach, that were the players under Crean. Like your captain (yogi) trying to get in to Kilroys underage little 5 week. NO RESPECT for the university or coach.

I'm glad this thread got turned into a racist argument. Great job to all of you! Let's get back to coaching candidates.

Doesn't warrant a response, this is as little as you're going to get.

what more can be said?

Having nostalgia for any coach since 2000 really says it all for our once storied program.

That's an interesting pair of sentences to be put into the same paragraph.

I could have spelled it out more I guess. Older white people that are racist towards blacks I believe deserve to die.

That way you cant take it as being racist against old white folks. but lets be real, when people do what you are doing it is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge stretch to try to act like hypocrisy. They are just getting away from the point at hand, and this is there way of arguing it. Really dislike this play, and happens a lot today.

The title is for someone deserving of respect. You aren't worth the charmin extra soft I wiped my ass with this morning.

We all know you wear depends and haven't used TP in years. Nice attempt at a joke though.

Enlighten me, why dumb? If you have aspirations of NBA money, why stick around another year with no meaningful development to get your game more NBA 1st round draft worthy. Archie has yet to develop one shooter at IU, not one. He can't even recruit players that already know how to shoot. Guys TJD's size need a reliable midrange to play. Also, physically he'll be disadvantaged in the NBA. If I'm him and i really want to play in the NBA, I'd go somewhere where I can get trained to play in the NBA, that isn't IU right now with Archie.
Dumb

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT