ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach Choices

Chris would come to Bloomington. The problem is IU couldn't afford the buyout of 19 million to get him away from Texas Tech. Chris has some ties to the Indianapolis area and also his ties to Coach Knight and Pat go a long way. If you want to read a good story on the type of guy Chris is google up stories about his ABA coaching days in South Carolina. The owners of that ABA team were from Indy.

Chris now has a buyout of 3 million. The 19 was when the contract was first signed.

Chris now has a buyout of 3 million. The 19 was when the contract was first signed.
I love what Beard has done at TT and the style of basketball they play. Just as I was really excited about Archie's coaching at Dayton. As for Beard being a home run hire, there are a couple of concerns. His final four team in 2019 was largely built on high-level transfers, not his own recruits. Last year TT was .500 in a much weaker conference than the B1G. Right now, they stand 4-3. Success one place doesn't necessarily translate somewhere else.

Meanwhile Shaka Smart, who looked like a total flop at UT through five years now seems to have a club that can contend for the NCAA championship. The only thing I know for sure is that there are no sure things.

I'm hearing that now Indiana will go the route of not having to buy out any coaches since we will be paying Archie.

So guys like Brad Stevens Greg Marshall, Thad Matta, John Belien, Dane Fife, Calbert Cheaney, Michael Lewis, Mike Woodson, Randy Wittman, Keith Smart.

Rick Pinto buyout is 10million
Steve Alford buyout is 6million
Bruce Pearl buyout 2 million
Chris Beard buyout 3 million

I say Indiana should pony up and pay Brad Stevens 6 million a year he is making 3.5 million with boston that would almost double his salary plus we get a grand slam hire.

Reactions: ufo33
Chris would come to Bloomington. The problem is IU couldn't afford the buyout of 19 million to get him away from Texas Tech. Chris has some ties to the Indianapolis area and also his ties to Coach Knight and Pat go a long way. If you want to read a good story on the type of guy Chris is google up stories about his ABA coaching days in South Carolina. The owners of that ABA team were from Indy.
Looked that up, had no idea. Good story. Thanks for mentioning.

Reactions: ufo33 and kkott
I'm hearing that now Indiana will go the route of not having to buy out any coaches since we will be paying Archie.

So guys like Brad Stevens Greg Marshall, Thad Matta, John Belien, Dane Fife, Calbert Cheaney, Michael Lewis, Mike Woodson, Randy Wittman, Keith Smart.

I say Indiana should pony up and pay Brad Stevens 6 million a year he is making 3.5 million with boston that would almost double his salary plus we get a grand slam hire.

And still, even doubling his salary doesn't mean he would come. I have seen it reported that he disliked recruiting. Maybe money doesn't move that needle.

Reactions: ufo33 and kkott

I can't tell if this is satire or not.

Did you constantly think the head cheerleader in HS was going to come around and date you too? Do you still think that? I'm guessing that's more likely than BS coming to IU, so give her a ring.

I love what Beard has done at TT and the style of basketball they play. Just as I was really excited about Archie's coaching at Dayton. As for Beard being a home run hire, there are a couple of concerns. His final four team in 2019 was largely built on high-level transfers, not his own recruits. Last year TT was .500 in a much weaker conference than the B1G. Right now, they stand 4-3. Success one place doesn't necessarily translate somewhere else.

Meanwhile Shaka Smart, who looked like a total flop at UT through five years now seems to have a club that can contend for the NCAA championship. The only thing I know for sure is that there are no sure things.
Yep, which is why a thorough search is so critical. I hate the everything by committee approach, but you do need a few respected and objective minds, including 2-3 who really know bball that you trust. I don't feel like that was done with Archie, and that FG zeroed in on him as "his guy" and went after him and signed him. Who knows, if a thorough search was done, Beard or Holtman might be in Btown right now.

Did you constantly think the head cheerleader in HS was going to come around and date you too? Do you still think that? I'm guessing that's more likely than BS coming to IU, so give her a ring.

timing is everything.

95550_full.jpg

5_83cfc0da7607f301c191a3e1fa3f425b.jpg

Yep, which is why a thorough search is so critical. I hate the everything by committee approach, but you do need a few respected and objective minds, including 2-3 who really know bball that you trust. I don't feel like that was done with Archie, and that FG zeroed in on him as "his guy" and went after him and signed him. Who knows, if a thorough search was done, Beard or Holtman might be in Btown right now.

imho it's not something that can be answered by a "search".

again, a college bball head coach is like an ingredient in a recipe.

Izzo,

coach K,

Few,

do we really think those ingredients have the same affect at a different school?

if a college bball head coach was a totally objective thing, success would always travel, which it doesn't more than it does.

all that matters is what's the best ingredient in this unique dish, as it is at every school.

this isn't something an algorithm in a super computer, (or any search committee), can spit out a solution to.

the solutions i've pushed for since Davis are the ones i thought would work best here, not anywhere else.

this is an art, not a science.

It's easy to look backwards and throw rocks at Fred Glass now that we know that Archie has failed here as a coach. But, in truth, it was almost universally regarded as a home run hire -- both by IU partisans and by others -- at the time. So I'm not going to fault Fred either for the decision to hire Archie or the method by which he did so.

But I will say that I think Fred got buffaloed on the contract -- whereby Archie can sail along and accomplish nothing in 4 years and still be sitting pretty with years and millions left to spare. Of course, given that Archie was in high demand and our program was not in great shape, he held a lot of leverage.

Still, it's just a bigtime bummer that it didn't work out. Anyway, let's hope they find a way to cut bait sooner rather than later.

It's easy to look backwards and throw rocks at Fred Glass now that we know that Archie has failed here as a coach. But, in truth, it was almost universally regarded as a home run hire -- both by IU partisans and by others -- at the time. So I'm not going to fault Fred either for the decision to hire Archie or the method by which he did so.

But I will say that I think Fred got buffaloed on the contract -- whereby Archie can sail along and accomplish nothing in 4 years and still be sitting pretty with years and millions left to spare. Of course, given that Archie was in high demand and our program was not in great shape, he held a lot of leverage.

Still, it's just a bigtime bummer that it didn't work out. Anyway, let's hope they find a way to cut bait sooner rather than later.
I would generally agree that some degree of immunity should be extended to Glass, but I would be interested to know who else he seriously considered, as well as on whom did he rely for substantive support during the process. Glass had zero background in hiring or managing coaches, and his previous experiences at IU left some clues that he would be severely challenged in finding Crean’s replacement. Would be interested to someday know how he went about that process and with whom he counseled, as it’s usually a revealing exercise when trying to determine why things ultimately went well (or not).

Reactions: Radio Zero
You have to be kidding putting Pitino on your list.
1. Thad Matta because I’m sick and tired of us overlooking the excellent coaches coming out of Butler. 2. Beilein, though older, is a helluva coach and recruiter and could be a great bridge to a future up and comer. 3. And please, no more experiments with coaches who have no idea how tough it is to coach at the B1G level.

You say "It's easy to look backwards and throw rocks at Fred Glass...". Yes, it certainly is. Because that hire was perhaps as critical as any since Knight, and it has turned out to be a disaster. So I'd like to know the answers to kkott's questions--did Fred seriously consider anyone other than Archie? Holtmann? Did Fred have a 'home run' interview with Archie? I wonder, because Archie's first PC was less than inspiring--what did Fred see in Archie when they met face to face? Were there warning signs? Did he make the safe hire or the best hire?

We'll never know the answers to these questions, so I can't give Fred a pass. I can't really condemn him either, except to say that he made the hire and bears the responsibility.

Reactions: Radio Zero
But, in truth, it was almost universally regarded as a home run hire -- both by IU partisans and by others -- at the time.

home run to do what?

in other words, WHY was he considered a home run hire? Was it because he was a coach that had a high probability of getting us to being a top 5 program? Or was it something else?

I will suggest that he seemed to be universally considered the best that we could do, for a program that will likely never be elite again.

home run to do what?

in other words, WHY was he considered a home run hire? Was it because he was a coach that had a high probability of getting us to being a top 5 program? Or was it something else?

I will suggest that he seemed to be universally considered the best that we could do, for a program that will likely never be elite again.

?

Archie was widely considered the best available coaching prospect the year we hired him. Not by the IU brass, but by national pundits and he was almost unanimously praised as a home run hire.

You say "It's easy to look backwards and throw rocks at Fred Glass...". Yes, it certainly is. Because that hire was perhaps as critical as any since Knight, and it has turned out to be a disaster. So I'd like to know the answers to kkott's questions--did Fred seriously consider anyone other than Archie? Holtmann? Did Fred have a 'home run' interview with Archie? I wonder, because Archie's first PC was less than inspiring--what did Fred see in Archie when they met face to face? Were there warning signs? Did he make the safe hire or the best hire?

We'll never know the answers to these questions, so I can't give Fred a pass. I can't really condemn him either, except to say that he made the hire and bears the responsibility.
I think those questions are easier to ask given Glass’s botched hiring of Kevin Wilson, who no other program wanted in spite of his accomplishments as an assistant.

?

Archie was widely considered the best available coaching prospect the year we hired him. Not by the IU brass, but by national pundits and he was almost unanimously praised as a home run hire.
That’s non responsive, though. Pundits don’t hire, so they can say anything. Miller was Glass’s second major hire, and he botched the first one. It’s reasonable to wonder how that process worked.

That’s non responsive, though. Pundits don’t hire, so they can say anything. Miller was Glass’s second major hire, and he botched the first one. It’s reasonable to wonder how that process worked.

Kevin Wilson brought IU out of the basement cellar, brought on quality assistants, recruited well, and set the foundation for the upstart of where the football program is today. It wasn't a botched hire in any sense of the word. He made IU football better.

?

Yes, this was absolutely the case. Archie was widely lauded by game insiders, pundits, etc. I truly believe that he could've had his pick of open jobs at that point. I'm as disappointed as anybody by how it turned out. But you'll never hear me going after Glass for the hire or how he arrived at it. He got the hot girl every guy wanted....she just turned out to be a nun.

You'd have to make Stevens the highest paid coach in college basketball to even get him to lift an eyebrow and even then it's highly unlikely he would come. He's apparently very happy in the NBA.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Yes, this was absolutely the case. Archie was widely lauded by game insiders, pundits, etc. I truly believe that he could've had his pick of open jobs at that point. I'm as disappointed as anybody by how it turned out. But you'll never hear me going after Glass for the hire or how he arrived at it. He got the hot girl every guy wanted....she just turned out to be a nun.

Which makes his tenure to date so frustrating. Archie's teams at Dayton not only played hard, but played with a purpose. They had a defensive identity and if they didn't win on the court (they were 102-36 Archie's last 4 years) they were winning the fight outside after. IU desperately needed a defensive identity after Crean and a team with a bunch of players with mental and physical toughness. Archie's teams, as well as him as a player at NC State, displayed those qualities.

Reactions: MrBing
?

perhaps I wasn’t clear:

home run hire “for IU”.

if it had been Duke, UNC, KU or UK making the hire, would it still have been considered a home run hire?

Which makes his tenure to date so frustrating. Archie's teams at Dayton not only played hard, but played with a purpose. They had a defensive identity and if they didn't win on the court (they were 102-36 Archie's last 4 years) they were winning the fight outside after. IU desperately needed a defensive identity after Crean and a team with a bunch of players with mental and physical toughness. Archie's teams, as well as him as a player at NC State, displayed those qualities.

It's too late for him here at this point -- even if he survives another year (which he shouldn't, but for all the monetary considerations). But, at his next stop, he'd be wise to hire the basketball equivalent of an offensive coordinator.

Reactions: Al Bino
perhaps I wasn’t clear:

home run hire “for IU”.

if it had been Duke, UNC, KU or UK making the hire, would it still have been considered a home run hire?

I don't know why it wouldn't be? If you're insinuating that any of those institutions were hiring Brad Stevens away from Boston a year removed from a contract extension and the best record in the Eastern conference then I can't help you. Who did you realistically think IU was going to hire at that point? As its been stated Archie was widely considered the best available candidate at the time of hiring.

perhaps I wasn’t clear:

home run hire “for IU”.

What's so hard about this to understand? In the group of "up and coming" coaches, Archie was pretty widely considered to be at or near the head of the class c.2017. Yeah, I get that there are and were more established names out there -- Donovan and whatnot.

The last time Duke hired a coach was 40 years ago. And he was an "up and coming" guy -- then. The last time UNC, KU, and UK made hires, they each hired veterans who had been successful at other major programs.

There was nothing wrong with Archie's hiring. There was nothing that Glass should've seen that would've made him wary. He was generally considered one of the top 2 or 3 coaches in the "up and coming" market at the time (if not the top one). It just hasn't panned out, for whatever reason.

Kevin Wilson brought IU out of the basement cellar, brought on quality assistants, recruited well, and set the foundation for the upstart of where the football program is today. It wasn't a botched hire in any sense of the word. He made IU football better.

The day we hired Wilson I went to the NW board to read up on him, because he had been a long-time OC there. I was very surprised to read there were numerous posts questioning the hire, based on his temperament, use of alcohol et al. So there were warning signs. Then, if you'll remember, he had all kinds of early issues when he got to B-Ton along those lines. So he was always a potential problem. Then Fred put him on double-secret probation, and you know the rest of the story.

So Fred gets no credit for hiring Wilson. We were lucky to get out of that situation with no major lawsuits. And he gets no credit for hiring TC as head coach, as that was a no-brainer under the circumstances.

Now....whoever had the idea of bringing in CTA as DC deserves a lot of credit. That story's been on here before....as I recall, it wasn't Wilson's idea initially, but I don't know whose idea it was. Fred had to sign off on it, so give him some credit there.

Going back to Fred......he's botched 2 contracts (Crean & Archie) and his hiring of CAM has turned out to be a disaster.

On the other hand, give him credit for his $ raising and his visiblity, and the facilities. He was very good there.

What's so hard about this to understand? In the group of "up and coming" coaches, Archie was pretty widely considered to be at or near the head of the class c.2017. Yeah, I get that there are and were more established names out there -- Donovan and whatnot.

The last time Duke hired a coach was 40 years ago. And he was an "up and coming" guy -- then. The last time UNC, KU, and UK made hires, they each hired veterans who had been successful at other major programs.

There was nothing wrong with Archie's hiring. There was nothing that Glass should've seen that would've made him wary. He was generally considered one of the top 2 or 3 coaches in the "up and coming" market at the time (if not the top one). It just hasn't panned out, for whatever reason.

The first 2 sentences of your last paragraph are your speculation. The facts are that we don't know and won't know.

oh, I agree 100%. I absolutely think he was an up and coming coach, and the best available for IU at that time. I liked the hire. With that being said I never expected him to become an elite coach.

The day we hired Wilson I went to the NW board to read up on him, because he had been a long-time OC there. I was very surprised to read there were numerous posts questioning the hire, based on his temperament, use of alcohol et al. So there were warning signs. Then, if you'll remember, he had all kinds of early issues when he got to B-Ton along those lines. So he was always a potential problem. Then Fred put him on double-secret probation, and you know the rest of the story.

So Fred gets no credit for hiring Wilson. We were lucky to get out of that situation with no major lawsuits. And he gets no credit for hiring TC as head coach, as that was a no-brainer under the circumstances.

Now....whoever had the idea of bringing in CTA as DC deserves a lot of credit. That story's been on here before....as I recall, it wasn't Wilson's idea initially, but I don't know whose idea it was. Fred had to sign off on it, so give him some credit there.

Going back to Fred......he's botched 2 contracts (Crean & Archie) and his hiring of CAM has turned out to be a disaster.

On the other hand, give him credit for his $ raising and his visiblity, and the facilities. He was very good there.

Not sure how he botched Archie's contract? I don't think his contract is any different than coaches in a similar boat. Most coaches getting hired into high pressure jobs are going to have hefty buyouts through the first 4 or 5 years of their tenure for stability. That's pretty industry standard.

You can claim whatever you want about Wilson's off-field antics, he elevated IU's football program and I don't think there's any question about that. Just don't want to see you use this double standard when it comes to hiring the next basketball coach when the time comes.

Reactions: MrBing
He was also a handful from Day 1 who had personal conduct issues that ultimately led to his forced resignation. Even though he made IU better, his baggage still led directly to his separation. It was about as botched as it could be.

He was also a handful from Day 1 who had personal conduct issues that ultimately led to his forced resignation. Even though he made IU better, his baggage still led directly to his separation. It was about as botched as it could be.

That still doesn't make it a "botched" hire. In the end it didn't work out, but at the end of the day Indiana football was in a much better spot than it was when Wilson was hired, and that's strictly because of Wilson.

There were tons of warning signs and whispers in the coaching world that KW had issues. It’s why he hadn’t gotten many nibbles in spite of his award winning work as an assistant. Glass thought he’d unearthed a hidden gem but it was obvious from the start that he didn’t perform his due diligence.

That still doesn't make it a "botched" hire. In the end it didn't work out, but at the end of the day Indiana football was in a much better spot than it was when Wilson was hired, and that's strictly because of Wilson.
It does make it that when you’re forced to separate from someone for those reasons, all of which you should’ve known from the start.

oh, I agree 100%. I absolutely think he was an up and coming coach, and the best available for IU at that time. I liked the hire. With that being said I never expected him to become an elite coach.

OK. But, to me, words like that ring awfully hollow in the shining light of hindsight.

This is kinda like the NFL draft. You can get the very best in the business doing all sorts of evaluations, analysis, comparisons. And, still, they're going to miss sometimes. Jamarcus Russell was coveted enough to go first overall in the 2007 draft. He lasted 2.5 seasons -- the last half on the bench. There was not a 4th season.

Tom Brady is about to play in his 14th Conference Championship game. In the 2000 draft, 198 players were taken before him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT