ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach Choices

B_Town_Buford

Benchwarmer
Dec 23, 2020
After reading about several possible candidates suggested on here, it appears Indiana should choose the new coach from the following list:

Brad Stevens
Mark Few
Billy Donovan
Chris Beard
Rick Pitino
Steve Alford
Rick Barnes

All excellent choices IMO (Pitino is a bit sketchy though but who really cares) and all would likely jump at the chance to come to Btown. It's like what @Courtsensetwo always says: who in their right mind wouldn't jump at the chance to come to the most picturesque campus in the country? A place where big dreams come to fruition and magic fills the air.

Personally, I think we should sign Mark Few or Beard...hell maybe even Phil Jackson. As my man Hoss @Cavanagh said, "time to start a new streak!"
Keep the faith people

-The Buford

Last edited:
Forget about Stevens, Few, and Donovan (and probably Beard, too). Those aren’t going to happen, no matter how hard we’d try. It seems silly to even put them on a list.

I’ve long been a hard no on Alford, too. He’s had his chances in the P5. Love the guy, but he was a much better player than coach.

I still think the best realistic choice out there is Bruce Pearl (and a leash).

Forget about Stevens, Few, and Donovan (and probably Beard, too). Those aren’t going to happen, no matter how hard we’d try. It seems silly to even put them on a list.

I’ve long been a hard no on Alford, too. He’s had his chances in the P5. Love the guy, but he was a much better player than coach.

Forgot about Pearl and you're right. I reckon he'd be a fine candidate too. He's dadgum good. As you said, he just needs a lil leash on that Boss Hoss.

I have to ask: what makes you think that Few, Stevens, or Donovan would “jump at the chance” to come to Bloomington?

I seem to remember rumors that we reached out to Mark Few once...and were quickly rebuffed. Maybe the rumor was false, dunno. But the guy has built one of the best basketball programs in the country and without the kind of microscope he’d get here.

Stevens and Donovan seem perfectly content in the pros.

I think you’re kidding yourself here.

After reading about several possible candidates suggested on here, it appears Indiana should choose the new coach from the following list:

Brad Stevens
Mark Few
Billy Donovan
Chris Beard
Rick Pitino
Steve Alford
Rick Barnes

All excellent choices IMO (Pitino is a bit sketchy though but who really cares) and all would likely jump at the chance to come to Btown. It's like what @Courtsensetwo always says: who in their right mind wouldn't jump at the chance to come to the most picturesque campus in the country? A place where big dreams come to fruition and magic fills the air.

Personally, I think we should sign Mark Few or Beard...hell maybe even Phil Jackson. As my man Hoss @Cavanagh said, "time to start a new streak!"
Keep the faith people

-The Buford

Agree with the list except I’d take Barnes off. Too old and if you don’t win a National title with Kevin Durant, you’re not winning one at IU before he goes into retirement.

Reactions: JB_Nomee

Brad Stevens
Mark Few
Billy Donovan
Chris Beard
Rick Pitino
Steve Alford
Rick Barnes

Keep the faith people

-The Buford
Have you been hanging with @Cavanagh ? Puff puff pass big fella. Brad Stevens? Billy Donovan? That's funny. And Mark Few is going nowhere. Outside of Chris Beard, my top choice would be Bruce Pearl. I love his passion and his ability. Slippery? Sure. But as far as I'm concerned, it's worth it.

Forgot about Pearl and you're right. I reckon he'd be a fine candidate too. He's dadgum good. As you said, he just needs a lil leash on that Boss Hoss.

I watched his teams up close and personal at USI. Always fiery and competitive, like him. His players would walk through fire for him. In those ways, he reminds me of Tom Allen. Kids gravitated towards him, and usually didn’t regret doing so.

Bruce’s success since leaving USI has surprised nobody around here.

Yes! Bring in the Pearl. He would be fantastic here and if he were the coach of this current team, we are probably 6-1 right now. Maybe undefeated.

Whoever we hire, the first order of business has to be a radical culture change. I know I sound like a broken record on that. But if we hire a new coach and resist a change in culture — or worse, hire a coach specifically to leave the cultural status quo untouched — we’ll continue getting the bad results we’ve been getting.

It’s easy to say we needed a new culture in football. We’ve historically never been a very good football program. Basketball is a harder nut to crack — because many still associate that culture with the success of the Knight years. They’re gone - and they aren’t coming back.

Stop replying to this moron. He gargles my children on the side.

Use the most grotesque part of your brain to figure out what I am saying in my last sentence. It will cum to you I promise.

Brad Stevens
Mark Few
Billy Donovan
Chris Beard
Rick Pitino
Steve Alford
Rick Barnes

Keep the faith people

-The Buford
Only two that are realistic are Pitino and Alford, Barnes and Beard I think are probably comfortable with what they have built and don't want to start over

Reactions: Bill4411

Brad Stevens
Mark Few
Billy Donovan
Chris Beard
Rick Pitino
Steve Alford
Rick Barnes

Keep the faith people

-The Buford
Why would Few leave Gonzaga? I don’t see that. How about Fife, Alford, Lewis? Need an IU guy to understand what IU is about!

Reactions: Bill4411 and troylw
Whoever we hire, the first order of business has to be a radical culture change. I know I sound like a broken record on that. But if we hire a new coach and resist a change in culture — or worse, hire a coach specifically to leave the cultural status quo untouched — we’ll continue getting the bad results we’ve been getting.

It’s easy to say we needed a new culture in football. We’ve historically never been a very good football program. Basketball is a harder nut to crack — because many still associate that culture with the success of the Knight years. They’re gone - and they aren’t coming back.

The 70s/80s aren't coming back. The world has changed and Knight's basketball ideals aren't going to work in the 2020s. We've got advanced analytics now and the rules have changed. Players growing up watch and emulate what's going on in the NBA now.

Now, I still want us to play smart team basketball and be well-coached, but in an era where players will be able to profit off their likenesses we're going to need to recruit better. Keep our traditions where we can, but if that hampers recruiting people shouldn't freak out if there's more ads or names on jerseys or we have cool alternate uniforms that the kids really like but old people don't.

Reactions: HoosierAlice
Only two that are realistic are Pitino and Alford, Barnes and Beard I think are probably comfortable with what they have built and don't want to start over
Pitino will never be hired by IU. I think Pearl would jump at the chance, but he’s probably only slightly less radioactive than RP. Alford wouldn’t meaningfully move the needle. We still have a program with obvious attributes, but Indiana Basketball isn’t the magnet for coaches and players that it once was, and it isn’t likely to every be again. Too many mistakes have put us in this spot, and no one is clamoring for change.

Why would Few leave Gonzaga? I don’t see that. How about Fife, Alford, Lewis? Need an IU guy to understand what IU is about!

We just need a guy who will win basketball games. I don’t care if he went to the university of Phoenix or IU. Get the best coach you can.

Reactions: Al Bino
Pitino will never be hired by IU. I think Pearl would jump at the chance, but he’s probably only slightly less radioactive than RP. Alford wouldn’t meaningfully move the needle. We still have a program with obvious attributes, but Indiana Basketball isn’t the magnet for coaches and players that it once was, and it isn’t likely to every be again. Too many mistakes have put us in this spot, and no one is clamoring for change.
Pearl is actually, on paper, more difficult to justify than Pitino. Pitino was cleared of any self involvement ... Pearl is dealing with a self-imposed ban this year. Money will fix it, and we pay enough ... just to bad choices, we could do as well or better than current results paying 500K to about half of all coaches

Reactions: ulrey
Pearl is actually, on paper, more difficult to justify than Pitino. Pitino was cleared of any self involvement ... Pearl is dealing with a self-imposed ban this year. Money will fix it, and we pay enough ... just to bad choices, we could do as well or better than current results paying 500K to about half of all coaches
I’m not a Pitino hater, but I do think he got lazy in terms of those around him, as well as what it took to bring in a certain kind of recruit who stood, along with their family / handlers, with their hands out (it‘s usually mom, dad, and “uncle” so and so). The kids usually have no clue. He didn’t have to cheat to win.

Reactions: CriticArisen
I watched his teams up close and personal at USI. Always fiery and competitive, like him. His players would walk through fire for him. In those ways, he reminds me of Tom Allen. Kids gravitated towards him, and usually didn’t regret doing so.

Bruce’s success since leaving USI has surprised nobody around here.
I also knew him at Southern Indiana. I moved away but the last time we were together he was reading a book written by Tom Davis who then I think was the Iowa coach

Reactions: B_Town_Buford
Nate Oats - formerly of Buffalo, now in 2nd year at Alabama. Doesn't have the pedigree of the names mentioned above, but is an up and comer. I know, I know everyone thought that about Archie too. The key difference is he is in a big boy conference now. Also, he's used to coaching at a football school. ;)

Go watch Alabama play today's type of basketball.

This is now the the 7th or 8th time you've claimed Pitino has been cleared by the NCAA. Where in the hell did you get that incorrect information? Louisville was just served notice of allegations within the last year with Rick Pitino listed. This is far from over for Ricky.

The 70s/80s aren't coming back. The world has changed and Knight's basketball ideals aren't going to work in the 2020s. We've got advanced analytics now and the rules have changed. Players growing up watch and emulate what's going on in the NBA now.

Now, I still want us to play smart team basketball and be well-coached, but in an era where players will be able to profit off their likenesses we're going to need to recruit better. Keep our traditions where we can, but if that hampers recruiting people shouldn't freak out if there's more ads or names on jerseys or we have cool alternate uniforms that the kids really like but old people don't.
That's a bunch of BS and you know why ... because it's true. Guys go to UK because they know it's the best path for them to the NBA quickly. Some guys (pun intended) like Quickley might need 2 years, but they do sacrifice personal stats towards winning. They are next up and wait their turn. That is not the culture we have. We have a savior culture of waiting for the next Larry Bird that can carry an otherwise bad team. Doesn't work when that is one and done. UK, Duke. That's what works, sometimes they're there 2-3 year and that's a contender. What doesn't work is what we do ... get exactly one player every couple years and hold them to unreasonable expectations surrounded by questionable P5 talent and just wait till next year. Can't we just get well rounded recruiting classes, maybe put some thought into what it takes to compete in the B10 every year, not just wait for divine intervention to right the ship

This is now the the 7th or 8th time you've claimed Pitino has been cleared by the NCAA. Where in the hell did you get that incorrect information? Louisville was just served notice of allegations within the last year with Rick Pitino listed. This is far from over for Ricky.
UL wasn't cleared institutionally, Pitino WAS of personal involvement ... why the F do you think he was hired by and currently coaching at Iona and not serving a show for cause sentence?

UL wasn't cleared institutionally, Pitino WAS of personal involvement ... why the F do you think he was hired by and currently coaching at Iona and not serving a show for cause sentence?

Because just like everyone else involved, the NCAA is now just getting done serving notice of allegations and haven't ruled on anything yet, duh. He's coaching at Iona because Iona has absolutely nothing to lose in this case. Sean Miller, Will Wade, etc will be getting show causes when this is all said and done yet are still coaching.

Reactions: MrBing
Nate Oats - formerly of Buffalo, now in 2nd year at Alabama. Doesn't have the pedigree of the names mentioned above, but is an up and comer. I know, I know everyone thought that about Archie too. The key difference is he is in a big boy conference now. Also, he's used to coaching at a football school. ;)

Go watch Alabama play today's type of basketball.
this is the kind of Coach we're most likely to find to really get us back on track. Hire a bball consultant who can help you develop a list of up and comers, including top assistants. I don't think we have the budget to get an established coach.

Pearl is actually a really good guy. But he’s never shown much interest in the fine print of the rule book. Sampson wasn’t such a nice guy. At all.

Maybe, I'm sure you know more about Sampson than I do but I liked the way he coached and Pearl seems like it's all a slimy facade of caring and crocodile tears. An act. At any rate, with his history I think it would be a big mistake, the most minor of violations would put IU in the wrong spotlight.

Maybe, I'm sure you know more about Sampson than I do but I liked the way he coached and Pearl seems like it's all a slimy facade of caring and crocodile tears. An act. At any rate, with his history I think it would be a big mistake, the most minor of violations would put IU in the wrong spotlight.
I doubt Pearl gets close to Bloomington, but I think he cares deeply for his players, who respond in kind. Not saying Sampson doesn’t, as well, but he’s not as good a guy. Not close.

Reactions: Chriselli

Brad Stevens
Mark Few
Billy Donovan
Chris Beard
Rick Pitino
Steve Alford
Rick Barnes

Keep the faith people

-The Buford
What about Calbert Cheaney? He's just down the road.

Reactions: B_Town_Buford
this is the kind of Coach we're most likely to find to really get us back on track. Hire a bball consultant who can help you develop a list of up and comers, including top assistants. I don't think we have the budget to get an established coach.
Money is there, we had an exception football season (for us) so I think that's BS, and the athletic dept. is not connected to academic prosperity. I can also say that despite COVID, enrollment was not down, so $ arguments are BS. What is not BS is if we can get the right hire in here after this year and who might be willing to come in and clean it up. That's the bigger consideration, can we get the right hire or another mistake that did good in their shit conference during COVID?

Yeah, that's what is so frustrating about Pearl. He and Sgt. Major Trouble just never seem all that far apart. He was even a student manager at Boston College during the infamous point shaving scandal (which involved Henry Hill, the character played by Ray Liotta in Goodfellas). He didn't have anything to do with it. Neither did Tom Davis. But, still, it just goes to show that, even when he is rightly exculpated, he just has a knack for being near the shenanigans.

Maybe I'm naïve. But I really think a coach like that can be corralled with the right kind of oversight and management -- as long as it's made clear to both sides going in that it'll always be there.

Money is there, we had an exception football season (for us) so I think that's BS, and the athletic dept. is not connected to academic prosperity. I can also say that despite COVID, enrollment was not down, so $ arguments are BS. What is not BS is if we can get the right hire in here after this year and who might be willing to come in and clean it up. That's the bigger consideration, can we get the right hire or another mistake that did good in their shit conference during COVID?
The great football season didn’t boost our athletic revenues nearly enough to offset the financial impact of Covid. We may have the money, especially since it’s not paid in a lump sum and it’s offset by other income, but the athletic department is paying close attention to every nickel and dime.

I never had any personal dealings with Kelvin Sampson. But I had a number of personal dealings with Bruce Pearl when he was at USI. If his positivity and enthusiasm is an act, he's a fantastic actor who has never, in my experience, let the act down.

Let me put it this way, last March USI celebrated the 25th anniversary of his 1995 National Championship team during a game. Auburn also had a game that day -- against Kentucky. Big game. And Kentucky ended up winning. Shortly after the tough loss, Pearl hopped on a plane and flew back to Evansville to take part in the celebration with his old team. And it was all smiles and hugs. Virtually the entire roster made the effort to be there along with their former coach.

It's no act. He's the real deal. But, yeah, he does have a casual relationship with the rules -- and that's ironically always been what has kept him from reaching his true potential. Because he really is a terrific basketball coach.

What about Calbert Cheaney? He's just down the road.

I'm second to nobody in my admiration and adoration of Calbert Cheaney. He is a true gentleman, and a silent assassin. Underneath that genteel demeanor is a ferocious competitor. And, ohhhhh, that first step towards the hole as the defense collapses to respect his jumper. It was a beautiful thing.

But, well, I just don't see it -- particularly considering that I think our program needs, more than anything else, a culture change. Could Calbert be the agent of the kind of change we so desperately need? I'm not so sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT