ADVERTISEMENT

New Albany and Romeo on ESPNU Friday (link)

Anyone know how to get tickets, they were excluded from the NAHS season ticket package?

We have an unhealthy obsession with this young man. Three different threads on the front page dedicated to him....

God I hope there is a time where Archie is regularly in on multiple 5 star recruits, that way we don't have to fawn over every one that shows interest in us and we can dilute our attention a little more.

Keep in mind he's not deciding until late spring and there's a good chance he won't be choosing IU, so maybe we can chill a little bit?

At least for a month or two...

I liv
We have an unhealthy obsession with this young man. Three different threads on the front page dedicated to him....

God I hope there is a time where Archie is regularly in on multiple 5 star recruits, that way we don't have to fawn over every one that shows interest in us and we can dilute our attention a little more.

Keep in mind he's not deciding until late spring and there's a good chance he won't be choosing IU, so maybe we can chill a little bit?

I live in New Albany and have a daughter who plays varsity sports as well for New Albany. I have season tix to boys varsity bball too.
However, I still dont know how to get tix to Friday, as they were excluded from the season tix for the remainder of the hs games.

^^^^ I guess you weren’t around here for the Zeller recruitment. You think this is bad?

Nothing like a top flight Indiana based recruit to get the locals around here all hot and bothered.

I do hope they realize that a five star is a five star no matter what state they come from.

I hope Romeo does come here. He'd probably average something like 12-15 ppg. and there would be idiots saying he's a disappointment.

One recruit isn't going to make or break Archie. Cody is a great example of that for Crean. The idea that Romeo is going to come here, play well and suddenly the 5* flood gates are going to open is silly. It takes time and effort to build a reputation and pipeline as a recruiter, no one recruit is going to drastically alter the future of IUBB.

Last edited:
Reactions: jet812
I liv

I live in New Albany and have a daughter who plays varsity sports as well for New Albany. I have season tix to boys varsity bball too.
However, I still dont know how to get tix to Friday, as they were excluded from the season tix for the remainder of the hs games.

200.gif

Nothing like a top flight Indiana based recruit to get the locals around here all hot and bothered.

I do hope they realize that a five star is a five star no matter what state they come from.

I hope Romeo does come here. He'd probably average something like 12-15 ppg. and there would be idiots saying he's a disappointment.

One recruit isn't going to make or break Archie. Cody is a great example of that for Crean. The idea that Romeo is going to come here, play well and suddenly the 5* flood gates are going to open is silly. It takes time and effort to build a reputation and pipeline as a recruiter, no one recruit is going to drastically alter the future of IUBB.
A 5 star is not just a 5 star when it is instate. SRY if you don't understand why..

This thread provided a link for information about a game with an IU recruit playing on national tv. Watch it if you want. That is all. No obsession.

You have no idea what you are talking .... see Damon Bailey. And that was before social media. God I can't imagine what it would have been like with Damon running around now.

Oh like the 2019 class? You know, the next class.

And there is just a good of a chance he picks IU......

Do you people follow recruiting or just bitch about it?

What makes them different? The fact that you have a special, emotional attachment to them?
They play harder, take rival games more seriously, and tend to be more loyal to the University to name a few....Like I said, SRY if you don't understand. If there is anything else you need help with, let me know.

They play harder, take rival games more seriously, and tend to be more loyal to the University to name a few....Like I said, SRY if you don't understand. If there is anything else you need help with, let me know.

I don't believe that, but establishing good ties with in-state coaches is critical. I think that made TC's job much harder at the end of his tenure. It only stands to reason that IU will have the most success recruiting in state and getting the top recruits from IN only encourages that process.

i agree it gets a little whacky but it's not like top athletes hate having rabid and/ or nutty fans. they're the ones who buy all the gear.

and ehhh -- Indiana gives an f about high school basketball and, again, it gets a little dorky but it beats not caring at all. a 5 star from the state is not like a 5 star from other states.

but you knew all this. you just like to act like you are one of the cool kids. I get that. we all do that now and then. lol

Reactions: IUgradman
I don't believe that, but establishing good ties with in-state coaches is critical. I think that made TC's job much harder at the end of his tenure. It only stands to reason that IU will have the most success recruiting in state and getting the top recruits from IN only encourages that process.
Yeah it is sad the amount of talent that has left the state in the last 20 years

I agree with establishing strong ties within the state, it's only logical. But there is nothing inherently better about an Indiana top recruit compared to any other.

They don't play harder, or show more loyalty, or any of that crap. That assumes they grew up rabid IU fans, which isn't the case for most of them.

The only difference in a 5* recruit from Indiana and one that isn't is how some of our fan base perceives him.

I agree with establishing strong ties within the state, it's only logical. But there is nothing inherently better about an Indiana top recruit compared to any other.

They don't play harder, or show more loyalty, or any of that crap. That assumes they grew up rabid IU fans, which isn't the case for most of them.

The only difference in a 5* recruit from Indiana and one that isn't is how some of our fan base perceives him.

Ask Mike Davis and Tom Crean how important recruiting Indiana is.

You coach at IU and can't land Indiana talent, you aren't going to last long.

Ask Mike Davis and Tom Crean how important recruiting Indiana is.

You coach at IU and can't land Indiana talent, you aren't going to last long.

You're completely missing the point. On a case by case basis, each recruits origin state is irrelevant.

You could be a successful ball coach at IU never take a recruit from the state of Indiana. You shouldn't do that, you'd be making life a lot harder on yourself, but you theoretically could.

Too often we see stuff on this board like....

"A 4 star from Indiana is a 5 star in any other state"

or

" Indiana recruits usually have better basketball IQ's, that's why they're important to have"

It's nonsense promulgated by gray beards on this site that still think every Indiana kid grows up with a backboard attached to their barn.

You're completely missing the point. On a case by case basis, each recruits origin state is irrelevant.

You could be a successful ball coach at IU never take a recruit from the state of Indiana. You shouldn't do that, you'd be making life a lot harder on yourself, but you theoretically could.

Too often we see stuff on this board like....

"A 4 star from Indiana is a 5 star in any other state"

or

" Indiana recruits usually have better basketball IQ's, that's why they're important to have"

It's nonsense promulgated by gray beards on this site that still think every Indiana kid grows up with a backboard attached to their barn.

And you just missed the point......Was Mike Davis successful at IU? When he had Indiana talent. Was Tom Crean successful at IU? When he had Indiana talent.

Indiana started playing basketball in 1900 - that's over 100 seasons of basketball.

Find the best team in the history of IU where the best player wasn't from Indiana or didn't have many key players from Indiana.

If you are right, surely you can find a decent one......right? Good luck.....

IU cannot draw enough top tier talent to be a nation power without Indiana talent.

Is it a coincident that a WALK ON from INDIANA is one of our top players right now?

And you just missed the point......Was Mike Davis successful at IU? When he had Indiana talent. Was Tom Crean successful at IU? When he had Indiana talent.

Indiana started playing basketball in 1900 - that's over 100 seasons of basketball.

Find the best team in the history of IU where the best player wasn't from Indiana or didn't have many key players from Indiana.

IU cannot draw enough top tier talent to be a nation power without Indiana talent.

Is it a coincident that a WALK ON from INDIANA is one of our top players right now?

It would be tough, but not impossible. If Kansas and Kentucky can draw nationally without any in-state recruiting base, then so could Self or Calipari if either came to IU (assuming Indiana wasn't flush with talent).

But that's not saying that it isn't important for our coach to recruit Indiana well, or that it isn't near impossible to win without them doing so. I agree with that for the most part.

You've bastardized my p.o.v. into me saying that it isn't important for our coach to recruit the state well.

My original argument was just that recruits from Indiana aren't inherently better than their similarly rated peers. If you truly believe that they are, you're being silly.

The NBA representation from Indiana is astronomical when you consider the states population, but that anomaly is represented in H.S. recruiting rankings as well. The idea that Indiana creates more "Diamonds in the rough" than other states is statistically untrue.

Last edited:
It would be tough, but not impossible. If Kansas and Kentucky can draw nationally without any in-state recruiting base, then so could Self or Calipari if either came to IU (assuming Indiana wasn't flush with talent).

But that's not saying that it isn't important for our coach to recruit Indiana well, or that it isn't near impossible to win without them doing so. I agree with that for the most part.

You've bastardized my p.o.v. into me saying that it isn't important for our coach to recruit the state well.

My original argument was just that recruits from Indiana aren't inherently better than their similarly rated peers. If you truly believe that they are, you're being silly.

The NBA representation from Indiana is astronomical when you consider the states population, but that anomaly is represented in H.S. recruiting rankings as well. The idea that Indiana creates more "Diamonds in the rough" than other states is statistically untrue.
Curious
1) Did you grow up playing basketball in Indiana?
2) Do you currently have or know kids growing up and playing basketball in Indiana?

Reactions: hoosier48

I get that We want to lock down the Indiana talent. I fondly remember all those great IU teams with Indiana kids. I just think in last 20 years that recruiting is an all new ball game. AAU ball, one and dones, shoe deals, ranking services etc. Recruiting is a national and in some cases an international effort. Not sure 5 star recruits all that into being home state heros any more. If you can get the in state players that's fine. You gotta spend your time and attention on the best players you can get that fit your system wherever they come from.

Reactions: cryano
Curious
1) Did you grow up playing basketball in Indiana?
2) Do you currently have or know kids growing up and playing basketball in Indiana?

Bingo! This is the heart of the broken mindset right here.

"Basketball is life here, outsiders just don't get it"

"In 49 other states, it's just basketball"

The H.S. Basketball elitism by many in Indiana is pathetic. I get it it. It's neat to have a town that rallies around the High School team, like you still see in many Indiana communities.

Although more and more that's dieing out, sorry to say. For every Zeller or Romeo from some idyllic Indiana small town, there's four kids from Indy, small cities like Fort Wayne or transplants to some basketball factory like La Lu.

Those kids don't share the same pride in the states' H.S. basketball history that you do. They could care less about playing for the Pinstripes and making their state proud and care more about what the best track is for them to eventually play professionally. It's Archie's job to provide them that track.

5* - dont care where they come from, just as long as they come to IU.

Would be great to get two or so one and done level talent guys each year. I wonder what Archies philosophy is toward recruiting these type of players.

Bingo! This is the heart of the broken mindset right here.

"Basketball is life here, outsiders just don't get it"

"In 49 other states, it's just basketball"

The H.S. Basketball elitism by many in Indiana is pathetic. I get it it. It's neat to have a town that rallies around the High School team, like you still see in many Indiana communities.

Although more and more that's dieing out, sorry to say. For every Zeller or Romeo from some idyllic Indiana small town, there's four kids from Indy, small cities like Fort Wayne or transplants to some basketball factory like La Lu.

Those kids don't share the same pride in the states' H.S. basketball history that you do. They could care less about playing for the Pinstripes and making their state proud and care more about what the best track is for them to eventually play professionally. It's Archie's job to provide them that track.
So your answers are
1) no
2) no
?

I get that We want to lock down the Indiana talent. I fondly remember all those great IU teams with Indiana kids. I just think in last 20 years that recruiting is an all new ball game. AAU ball, one and dones, shoe deals, ranking services etc. Recruiting is a national and in some cases an international effort. Not sure 5 star recruits all that into being home state heros any more. If you can get the in state players that's fine. You gotta spend your time and attention on the best players you can get that fit your system wherever they come from.

Sigh.....you guys don’t get it.

IU has never been able to land enough elite talent outside the state.....EVER.

And news flash, they NEVER will.

IU needs Indians talent, period.

It’s has nothing to do with people believing Indiana kids are better. It has everything to do with the probability of landing that talent.

In 20 years who were the out of state 5 stars? Vonleh, Bryant, DJ White, Bracey Wright

Who were the in state kids?
Jeffries, Eric Gordon, Zeller, Yogi

There is a common theme between those 2 groups besides home state.

It kills me that there are people that can’t see this.

There is a reason Miller is all in with Romeo, Jackson-Davis, and Brooks.

It’s has nothing to do with people believing Indiana kids are better. It has everything to do with the probability of landing that talent.

In 20 years who were the out of state 5 stars? Vonleh, Bryant, DJ White, Bracey Wright

What does it mean for Archie to be “all in” these kids & can you outline the difference how he recruits them vs out of state 5* kids?

So if he doesn't get those three are you walking? I'm not.. This aint your pappys basketball any more. Thats what YOU don't get.

What does it mean for Archie to be “all in” these kids & can you outline the difference how he recruits them vs out of state 5* kids?

There is no difference. Every recruit they want they focus in on and are consistently contacting and building a relationship with.

So if he doesn't get those three are you walking? I'm not.. This aint your pappys basketball any more. Thats what YOU don't get.

lol, I’m here now.

You young guys will learn.

Miller, do something that has never been done successfully at IU.....but be successful at it because UK and Duke does it..... lol

If he lands those 3, the ceiling as a team is much, much higher than without them.

IU has never recruited like UK and Duke and never will.

The formula for success is right there, and it involves getting Indiana talent.

The amount of time he spends on one recruit vs the others.

I guess a better word is “priority”

lol, I’m here now.

You young guys will learn.

Miller, do something that has never been done successfully at IU.....but be successful at it because UK and Duke does it..... lol

If he lands those 3, the ceiling as a team is much, much higher than without them.

IU has never recruited like UK and Duke and never will.

The formula for success is right there, and it involves getting Indiana talent.
You're here now? Wow that makes my day.

Reactions: birdforbogey
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT