ADVERTISEMENT

New AD...

Not true. Read his background.

I read through the press conference comments yesterday with the introduction of Dolson.
I don’t know if it was just excerpts or if the focus was entirely on the current sports in season but not one thing he mentioned was related to IU football, other than the note that “Bill Mallory said he should be an AD some day.”

Just seems odd that the commentary was all about Archie and the confidence Dolson has in his master plan for the basketball program?

Reactions: vesuvius13
I read through the press conference comments yesterday with the introduction of Dolson.
I don’t know if it was just excerpts or if the focus was entirely on the current sports in season but not one thing he mentioned was related to IU football, other than the note that “Bill Mallory said he should be an AD some day.”

Just seems odd that the commentary was all about Archie and the confidence Dolson has in his master plan for the basketball program?

MBB is the subject of 80% of the questions so it makes sense. Obviously he (or any hire) is going to open with a public vote of confidence regardless of any concerns he may have. AM made the tourney this year which is a step in the right direction, he will have next year to either take another step or we all find out where SDs head really is.

MBB is the subject of 80% of the questions so it makes sense. Obviously he (or any hire) is going to open with a public vote of confidence regardless of any concerns he may have. AM made the tourney this year which is a step in the right direction, he will have next year to either take another step or we all find out where SDs head really is.

True, and these days are unusual so all the press conferences feel a little weird or quick with the virus these days.
Normally, I’d expect an official introduction of the AD to go down the list of sports and Dolson comment on all of them but I get that things are out of the norm right now.

If you truly care about Indiana football, this should be concerning. This feels like they really stepped on the football program...

True, and these days are unusual so all the press conferences feel a little weird or quick with the virus these days.
Normally, I’d expect an official introduction of the AD to go down the list of sports and Dolson comment on all of them but I get that things are out of the norm right now.

I would expect SD to produce a "state of the AD" as you say with detailed write ups on each sport for the BOT. We won't see it though.

It would be refreshing to know that IU at least attempted to hire the best available candidate for a job instead of taking a chance on an unproven commodity. I shouldn't be surprised from the history of IU major athletic hires.
You are exactly right, no matter who disagrees. Ask anyone here who the last proven commodity IU has hired in football or basketball as coaches, or replacing an A.D. that makes us extremely hopeful for the future? Looks like more of the same to me.

Reactions: bang63
You are exactly right, no matter who disagrees. Ask anyone here who the last proven commodity IU has hired in football or basketball as coaches, or replacing an A.D. that makes us extremely hopeful for the future? Looks like more of the same to me.

The vast majority approved of the AM hire.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
So why do we hate this guy again?
We don't. People need to have SOME faith in the process, & the University. It was widely reported & believed that the panel of 14 felt that ALL of the final 3 candidates were worthy, qualified, excellent choices. I think people should trust the powers that be just a little bit, & take the approach that if Dolson beat out your favorite candidate for the job, he musn't be too shabby. Give him a chance. & oh btw, don;t worry--he's not going to piss on..I mean ignore football.

We don't. People need to have SOME faith in the process, & the University. It was widely reported & believed that the panel of 14 felt that ALL of he final 3 candidates were worthy, qualified, excellent choices. I think people should trust the powers that be just a little bit, & take the approach that if Dolson beat out your favorite candidate for the job, he musn't be too shabby. Give him a chance. & oh btw, don;t worry--he's not going to piss on..I mean ignore football.

Exactly, but you know, some people have to bitch about the meal before it's even put on the table.

Reactions: Pigalow
Exactly, but you know, some people have to bitch about the meal before it's even put on the table.
I know, if they truly don't like the guy, for a solid reason, that's 1 thing, but they can't have a valid opinion about his potential as an AD. No way! Just give him a chance & have an open mind. IU didn't set out to NOT find the best AD possible!

Last edited:
Reactions: jsenleo
I know, if they truly don't like the guy, for solid reason, that's 1 thing, but they can't have a valid opinion about his potential as an AD. No way! Juts give him a chance & have an open mind. IU didn't set out to NOT find the best AD possible!
Just curious - are you familiar with him at all outside what you've read here?

Serious question. I'm not trying to play gotcha. I agree we shouldn't judge only on what we know. But we do know the other 2 candidates have a lot of prior AD experience. And they're solid IU guys - former players.

I just wonder why we should think this is the best we can do, hiring someone with zero AD experience? Assistant, yes. But in most high profile jobs, don't most places hire someone with experience calling the shots?

I'm not trashing the guy, but I think the other 2 were better choices based on what I've read. It doesn't mean Dolson won't be a great AD.

I'm not sure why anyone would think others can't have another valid opinioin.

Made the tournament? Are we talking about simulated games in the make-believe tournament?

Reactions: trailrunner
I think you meant “subjective”, every subjective measurement.

I hear you but this came down to data which is objective. Subjectivity sometimes comes into play if someone wants to dismiss objective data for personal or partisan reasons.. Let's say a PU fan is upset that IU was going in and PU wasn't...you could see where the PU fan might project their subjective feelings to somehow make themselves feel better.

Good question though.

Last edited:
Just curious - are you familiar with him at all outside what you've read here?

Serious question. I'm not trying to play gotcha. I agree we shouldn't judge only on what we know. But we do know the other 2 candidates have a lot of prior AD experience. And they're solid IU guys - former players.

I just wonder why we should think this is the best we can do, hiring someone with zero AD experience? Assistant, yes. But in most high profile jobs, don't most places hire someone with experience calling the shots?

I'm not trashing the guy, but I think the other 2 were better choices based on what I've read. It doesn't mean Dolson won't be a great AD.

I'm not sure why anyone would think others can't have another valid opinioin.
Not much, I've heard his name mentioned for years, but I don't think any of us know as much as the 14 member panel who hired him. Do you think? That just doesn't make sense, to me to think we know better than they do. I don't think they did anything other than hire who they thought was the best candidate possible. Why would they? With all of that said, my point is, regardless of our opinions, I think he deserves a chance. He was my last choice of the 3, I REALLY wanted Reynolds or Kraft, but I'm not foolish enough to think I know better than the panel did.

Last edited:
Posters that make these statements have zero concept of what an AD actually does. AD's don't hire coaches, that is done by the Board of Trustees and the school President. The AD certainly has a lot of input to the hire, but ultimately, the BOTs and the President do it. Case in point, under Herbert, IU was set to hire a certain well named men's bball coach, but President Herbert wanted to replace Mike Davis with another minority coach, so he hired Sampson instead. If you are angry with whom IU has hired, coach wise, then start your spewing towards McRobbie. Glass and Dolson did a lot of the leg work in interviewing candidates for football and men's bball, and they did recommend Archie and Tom Allen, but still it was ultimately up to McRobbie to make the hire.

Posters that make these statements have zero concept of what an AD actually does. AD's don't hire coaches, that is done by the Board of Trustees and the school President. The AD certainly has a lot of input to the hire, but ultimately, the BOTs and the President do it. Case in point, under Herbert, IU was set to hire a certain well named men's bball coach, but President Herbert wanted to replace Mike Davis with another minority coach, so he hired Sampson instead. If you are angry with whom IU has hired, coach wise, then start your spewing towards McRobbie. Glass and Dolson did a lot of the leg work in interviewing candidates for football and men's bball, and they did recommend Archie and Tom Allen, but still it was ultimately up to McRobbie to make the hire.

i heard it was someone who represents a big donor, neither of whom i will name here.

who pulled the trigger on Sampson has always been a well kept mystery.

yrs ago in one of his rants where he starts blurting things out on his radio show, Dakich blurted out who it was that pulled the trigger on hiring Sampson.

consider the source if you wish, but no reason not to think he would know, and the answer sounded credible.

I think you have downplayed the role of AD in the hiring process. Yes, the BOT must approve any ghire over a certain $$ level, they rely heavily on the findings of the AD and in some cases the retained search firm.

Yes, Sampson was a product of Herbert putting his foot down but that is an outlier.

I think you have downplayed the role of AD in the hiring process. Yes, the BOT must approve any ghire over a certain $$ level, they rely heavily on the findings of the AD and in some cases the retained search firm.

Yes, Sampson was a product of Herbert putting his foot down but that is an outlier.
Almost every AD uses a search firm to do background work on any hire. The AD and his/her committee will do a lot of the interviews and form a "top 2 or top 3". But a President hires. Do most President's follow the AD's recommendations? I'd say they probably do that for the most part, but the OP stated the AD did the hiring only and that simply isn't true. How much input the AD has in these situations depends from school to school and sport to sport. For the bigger sports (football & basketball), more than the AD has a lot of input on hirings for most schools.

Almost every AD uses a search firm to do background work on any hire. The AD and his/her committee will do a lot of the interviews and form a "top 2 or top 3". But a President hires. Do most President's follow the AD's recommendations? I'd say they probably do that for the most part, but the OP stated the AD did the hiring only and that simply isn't true. How much input the AD has in these situations depends from school to school and sport to sport. For the bigger sports (football & basketball), more than the AD has a lot of input on hirings for most schools.

You bet, which is why the Herbert/Sampson situation is an outlier. I can introduce you to a GV pilot who had an interesting flight scheduled.

AD'S don't hire coaches? What about FG hiring Allen? Said he had TA hired within an hour and a half after CKW was gone.

what I want first from Dolson is plans/mockups for the replacement/renovation of Mellencamp and a new football-specific training facility

(c'mon Scott, you can do it; indulge an old man in this request)

Mellencamp reno is important.
given the ceiling height in there, I'm not even sure it can be totally "renovated" but I have to think some architects/engineers could retrofit it somehow into a 21st century practice facility--and the new A.D. could find the money to attach a new FB lifting/training facility to it

what I want first from Dolson is plans/mockups for the replacement/renovation of Mellencamp and a new football-specific training facility

(c'mon Scott, you can do it; indulge an old man in this request)
How about telling us how this would enhance the IU football program and result in more wins? Also, how much of your own $$ would you be contributing to this effort, perhaps through the generosity of your will?

given the ceiling height in there, I'm not even sure it can be totally "renovated" but I have to think some architects/engineers could retrofit it somehow into a 21st century practice facility--and the new A.D. could find the money to attach a new FB lifting/training facility to it
You may get the renovation of Mellencamp but there is no need for football training facilities. They have one of the largest weight Rooms in the country just added nutrition center and sports medicine facility all inside the stadium. They were able to hire Ballou and Rhea only to lose them to Bama. They were able to hire a 20 year veteran who is also highly regarded to replace them. Do you really think Wellman would have left Giants for substandard facilities? Even if it was to come home. I seriously doubt he would’ve.

You may get the renovation of Mellencamp but there is no need for football training facilities. They have one of the largest weight Rooms in the country just added nutrition center and sports medicine facility all inside the stadium. They were able to hire Ballou and Rhea only to lose them to Bama. They were able to hire a 20 year veteran who is also highly regarded to replace them. Do you really think Wellman would have left Giants for substandard facilities? Even if it was to come home. I seriously doubt he would’ve.

Having a couple soccer players in that massive weight training center is a huge problem and costs IU wins every year. It shows IU is not serious about Football and is satisfied with mediocrity in all sports. Dolson was specifically selected to achieve and maintain mediocrity in all areas because that is what IU grads demand.

I have learn't all this reading these boards.

Having a couple soccer players in that massive weight training center is a huge problem and costs IU wins every year. It shows IU is not serious about Football and is satisfied with mediocrity in all sports. Dolson was specifically selected to achieve and maintain mediocrity in all areas because that is what IU grads demand.
Soccer players probably aren't a problem. It's those volleyball and water polo players that create all the distractions.

ADVERTISEMENT