ADVERTISEMENT

New AD...

No idea. Here’s my thought...let the man do his job and evaluate from there. It’s a bold strategy, I know.
It would be refreshing to know that IU at least attempted to hire the best available candidate for a job instead of taking a chance on an unproven commodity. I shouldn't be surprised from the history of IU major athletic hires.

Reactions: Upset Alert
It would be refreshing to know that IU at least attempted to hire the best available candidate for a job instead of taking a chance on an unproven commodity. I shouldn't be surprised from the history of IU major athletic hires.

What makes him unqualified?

He's been second in command at Indiana for now many years now in the athletic department? He knows how this department runs.

What makes him unqualified?

He's been second in command at Indiana for now many years now in the athletic department? He knows how this department runs.
I didn't say he was unqualified just not the most qualified. I think the norm for an ad is to be an underling then an assistant then an ad at a small school. He might work out but if he is a Glass clone I won't be satisfied Even if he has a totally different approach to the job than Glass he is still getting ojt.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I didn't say he was unqualified just not the most qualified. I think the norm for an ad is to be an underling then an assistant then an ad at a small school. He might work out but if he is a Glass clone I won't be satisfied Even if he has a totally different approach to the job than Glass he is still getting ojt.

From everything I've heard about the man, he's not a Glass clone.

Reactions: 76-1
Think he deserves the chance to shine. People don't like Fred but seems to me the money raised, the construction projects completed, most of the new hires, I don't think Fred was a disaster at all. In fact, he listened enough to put names back on the jersey's after a one-year fan outcry! (A personal fave of mine!) FB team want to a Jan bowl, BB team was likely headed to NCAA. Baseball & Soccer (mens) are dominant. Women's swimming and hoops are strong. New women's VB coach and new mens BB coaches considered rising stars. This person Dolson seems to bleed for IU and I can't imagine he'll do anything but work hard to keep growing the programs.

On the surface it appears to me that all three of the folks that have been discussed here are qualified. In fact, I'm going to say that all three are much more qualified to be the AD at Indiana University than any poster here is qualified to judge their qualifications.

So unless there is someone on this board who was involved in the vetting process, or sat in on interviews, all of this nonsense is ignorant speculation - although that is an area some on this board seem to specialize in. So I'm going to assume that nobody posting here has any inside information on what was discussed with any of the candidates, their respective level of interest or demands, or any of their concrete plans for the future of IU athletics.

Over the course of my career in education I have been involved in the process of vetting and interviewing several candidates for administrative positions. From the face of their resume's alone, some turned out to be much better than the surface info suggested and some turned out much worse. Many who were hired from positions as assistants turned out to be much different as "the guy" than they were in their previous position. Again, some better and some worse.

The two things I always found true were these: The people making the most noise from the outside were the most uninformed and those most vociferously supporting one candidate had an agenda they thought that candidate was most likely to accede to. Usually, they were dead wrong about that btw.

So just my two cents worth. The people who most openly hate Fred Glass would profess undying love for him if his last act as AD was to fire Archie Miller - because that is really all they give a shit about. Keep in mind that many of these are the same people who raised hell about the hiring of Tom Allen and wanted him fired every single day thereafter (how'd that turn out ?). If Scott Dolson's first official act as AD was to announce that HE was firing Archie Miller, the people on this board most vocal against his hiring would immediately hail him as a great choice. Because let's be honest, the folks here with their panties in a bunch regarding the AD hire really only care about how to get the basketball coach fired. Their mindset is straight out of the Hickory barbershop.

So how about we give the people tasked with the job of picking a new AD the benefit of the doubt for a hot minute and withhold our certainty about his failure at least until he actually takes over the job and makes a few decisions.

On the surface it appears to me that all three of the folks that have been discussed here are qualified. In fact, I'm going to say that all three are much more qualified to be the AD at Indiana University than any poster here is qualified to judge their qualifications.

So unless there is someone on this board who was involved in the vetting process, or sat in on interviews, all of this nonsense is ignorant speculation - although that is an area some on this board seem to specialize in. So I'm going to assume that nobody posting here has any inside information on what was discussed with any of the candidates, their respective level of interest or demands, or any of their concrete plans for the future of IU athletics.

Over the course of my career in education I have been involved in the process of vetting and interviewing several candidates for administrative positions. From the face of their resume's alone, some turned out to be much better than the surface info suggested and some turned out much worse. Many who were hired from positions as assistants turned out to be much different as "the guy" than they were in their previous position. Again, some better and some worse.

The two things I always found true were these: The people making the most noise from the outside were the most uninformed and those most vociferously supporting one candidate had an agenda they thought that candidate was most likely to accede to. Usually, they were dead wrong about that btw.

So just my two cents worth. The people who most openly hate Fred Glass would profess undying love for him if his last act as AD was to fire Archie Miller - because that is really all they give a shit about. Keep in mind that many of these are the same people who raised hell about the hiring of Tom Allen and wanted him fired every single day thereafter (how'd that turn out ?). If Scott Dolson's first official act as AD was to announce that HE was firing Archie Miller, the people on this board most vocal against his hiring would immediately hail him as a great choice. Because let's be honest, the folks here with their panties in a bunch regarding the AD hire really only care about how to get the basketball coach fired. Their mindset is straight out of the Hickory barbershop.

So how about we give the people tasked with the job of picking a new AD the benefit of the doubt for a hot minute and withhold our certainty about his failure at least until he actually takes over the job and makes a few decisions.

FG was perfect for IU in many ways given the timing of BTN $$ etc. He did a magnificent job of creating facilities that are among the very best. Many sports are thriving both in performance as well as attendance. IU's student athletes achieve in the classroom and get degrees. FG is exceptionally well connected and raised a lot of much needed money and created public/private partnerships that will serve IU for years to come.

Football is on a good trajectory.

Men's Basketball has not done well and that is an issue. A big issue. To be fair, FG tried to get Crean out a year earlier but was thwarted. AM...who did get the NCAA tourney monkey off of his back this year would have been entering his fifth season so either he would have improved or likely been gone. We will never know.

I suspect that this has all crossed Scott's mind. We shall see if he can get the 9000 gorilla off of his back.

C'mon oldcoug, we're all more qualified to pick the new AD. We are also more qualified to coach the football and basketball teams
than the current head coaches.

I personally could not care much less about Archie Miller. My issue with FG centers 100% on the football program. I have serious doubts about anybody working inside the athletic department that did not do everything in their power to put out a better gameday atmosphere. Surely, in the past ten years, he would have found the courage to say, "Fred, let's cut the Mickey mouse, minor league bs."

Maybe FG was a dictator and SD has a gold mine of great ideas that he has been sitting on for the past decade.

“Football is huge for us,” Dolson said. “I’m stating the obvious for obvious reasons. One of the things that I was very fortunate with is that Bill Mallory took me under his wing, I’m extremely grateful for that. He gave me invaluable advice along the way on what he felt were important things to do to build the program. He and Fred and I talked. That’s a continued investment in the program. What I mean is, not just money, which is important, but also just a vision for what does the program need to be on the cutting edge of a modern day football program.”

“To increase crowds, to do all what we need to do on that end, it’s important we have a great marketing and sales plan. We will do that. We’ll be aggressive that way. But fan experience is a really big deal. The modern day fans’ needs are changing.”

“Football is huge for us,” Dolson said. “I’m stating the obvious for obvious reasons. One of the things that I was very fortunate with is that Bill Mallory took me under his wing, I’m extremely grateful for that. He gave me invaluable advice along the way on what he felt were important things to do to build the program. He and Fred and I talked. That’s a continued investment in the program. What I mean is, not just money, which is important, but also just a vision for what does the program need to be on the cutting edge of a modern day football program.”

“To increase crowds, to do all what we need to do on that end, it’s important we have a great marketing and sales plan. We will do that. We’ll be aggressive that way. But fan experience is a really big deal. The modern day fans’ needs are changing.”

That's good to hear! Time will tell when the band rolls out Hoosier Wipeout.

That's good to hear! Time will tell when the band rolls out Hoosier Wipeout.
I like Hoosier Wipeout. Some of the stupid games like throwing the ball through a hole the same size as the ball is can go, or guessing which hat the ball is under, or the pizza races, etc. those things were done for the money they generate but it just makes we want to stay away from the company sponsoring them.

I also like the fireworks when the team comes out so there are at least some folks in those stands that like some of the things you guys complain about. I really do not think Hoosier Wipeout is keeping anyone away. You ever been to Tennessee? That incredibly annoying Rocky Top wheeew yell would definitely keep me away. They seat over 100,000 and can fill it when the team is doing well.

I am not anti Dolsen at all, but would have rather had Kraft hired. Definitely will give Scott a chance before I judge. Not that my opinion is worth anything.

I didn't learn much in Dr. Gary Sailes classes, but one thing he was 100% correct, networking is the key. It's not what you know, it's who you know and who likes you. That's exactly what this hire feels like.

Think he deserves the chance to shine. People don't like Fred but seems to me the money raised, the construction projects completed, most of the new hires, I don't think Fred was a disaster at all. In fact, he listened enough to put names back on the jersey's after a one-year fan outcry! (A personal fave of mine!) FB team want to a Jan bowl, BB team was likely headed to NCAA. Baseball & Soccer (mens) are dominant. Women's swimming and hoops are strong. New women's VB coach and new mens BB coaches considered rising stars. This person Dolson seems to bleed for IU and I can't imagine he'll do anything but work hard to keep growing the programs.
^^^^^Bingo^^^^^ BTW Fred not only put names back on jerseys, but offered ticket package deals because everyone was complaining about ticket prices. He listened well. Most of the programs were in shambles and he did alot to change that. Some of it will be completed after he leaves. A lot of people have said that Dolson is excellent at raising funds through donors and knows all of the big dogs. He already has relationships with them. Thats huge IYAM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chriselli

i'll disagree, they aren't changing that much.

there is almost nothing "fan experience" wise that will have a dent in attendance.

other than program success, and not sure how much increased success it would take to make a big difference, price is the only factor that will significantly help.

and success isn't a controllable factor.

price is the only "controllable" factor we have. (and we have no control of start times or weather).

the price-demand curve is an actual thing.

and as i pointed out in my previous post above, in the end, we can't max out revenue and attendance, so must choose which is the priority. (and revenue has always been the priority at IU).

unfortunately short term revenue being our consistant priority, has a bad effect on long term revenue and success, as poor attendance does not build the base, and hurts recruiting.

Reactions: ESalum86
I like Hoosier Wipeout. Some of the stupid games like throwing the ball through a hole the same size as the ball is can go, or guessing which hat the ball is under, or the pizza races, etc. those things were done for the money they generate but it just makes we want to stay away from the company sponsoring them.

I also like the fireworks when the team comes out so there are at least some folks in those stands that like some of the things you guys complain about. I really do not think Hoosier Wipeout is keeping anyone away. You ever been to Tennessee? That incredibly annoying Rocky Top wheeew yell would definitely keep me away. They seat over 100,000 and can fill it when the team is doing well.
We all have our musical tastes. Our group looks forward to Hoosier Wipeout because it's so lame - in our opinion, of course. So we look forward to it so we can ridicule it.

Problem is, it's in such as awkward spot, after the band is set and waiting for the team to come out. And what does being a Hoosier have to do with the song Wipeout? It's just so odd. And who, under the age of 50, even has heard of the song Wipeout?

But, like I said, to each his own.

i'll disagree, they aren't changing that much.

there is almost nothing "fan experience" wise that will have a dent in attendance.

other than program success, and not sure how much increased success it would take to make a big difference, price is the only factor that will significantly help.

and success isn't a controllable factor.

price is the only "controllable" factor we have. (and we have no control of start times or weather).

the price-demand curve is an actual thing.

and as i pointed out in my previous post above, in the end, we can't max out revenue and attendance, so must choose which is the priority. (and revenue has always been the priority at IU).

unfortunately short term revenue being our consistant priority, has a bad effect on long term revenue and success, as poor attendance does not build the base, and hurts recruiting.
LOL Classic i'vegotwinners!

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT