ADVERTISEMENT

New AD?

dbmhoosier

Hall of Famer
Nov 23, 2005
Anyone have anything to share? The other site is saying Dolson, Reynolds, and Kraft are interviewing. Dolson appears to be the clear favorite as he's a yes man and a Fred clone. Also Fred has apparently been a raving success as an AD as the women's rowing and tennis teams are doing well. That's all that matters here apparently.

Looks like Dolson to me. It sounds like Reynolds had to push just to get interview. Hoping for Reynolds myself.

Anyone have anything to share? The other site is saying Dolson, Reynolds, and Kraft are interviewing. Dolson appears to be the clear favorite as he's a yes man and a Fred clone. Also Fred has apparently been a raving success as an AD as the women's rowing and tennis teams are doing well. That's all that matters here apparently.

Hopefully, it's Reynolds or Kraft.

Hopefully, it's Reynolds or Kraft.

Let's hope but not what I'm hearing. We have our Donovan and Stevens on the line in Kraft and Reynolds the only difference this time being that both are guaranteed to say yes. Yet our administration might go hire Dan Dakich instead. It's completely mindblowing.

Reactions: snarlcakes

Anybody know who is representing IU in these interviews?

there is a.panel. I'm not sure.of everyone everyone involved but I know Yeagley is one member, Teri Moren is another. The oddest member, at.least to me is Jim Delaney

My bet is that Fred puts in a big plug for his right hand man, Dolson.

Pat Kraft would be a home run. Of the 3, he’s actually an AD at a school that has both football and basketball. Reynolds school, Bradley, does not play football although he was associate AD at Northwestern.

Dolson needs head AD experience at a smaller school before he jumps into the Power 5.

Dolson needs head AD experience at a smaller school before he jumps into the Power 5.
This ought to weigh heavily in discussions.

My choice is Kraft, but I’d take Reynolds in a heartbeat. Chris had a large role in the lakefront facility project at NU.

If we get Dolson - and, depending on who is named as President - the future of IU will be clear.

My choice is Kraft, but I’d take Reynolds in a heartbeat. Chris had a large role in the lakefront facility project at NU.

If we get Dolson - and, depending on who is named as President - the future of IU will be clear.
But archie would be happy. Fred may even draft the extension before he leaves.

Pat Kraft would be a home run. Of the 3, he’s actually an AD at a school that has both football and basketball. Reynolds school, Bradley, does not play football although he was associate AD at Northwestern.

Neither Clarence nor Fred had experience, and that didn’t stop IU from hiring them. By comparison, Dolson is a grizzled veteran.

Neither Clarence nor Fred had experience, and that didn’t stop IU from hiring them. By comparison, Dolson is a grizzled veteran.
I guess I never realized the lack of experience for those two AD's. That is a scary thought.

Kraft should be the obvious choice. But he's not a yes man like Dolson. I can't ever see IU hiring him.

Reynolds is a Knight disciple. No way IU would hire a Knight guy. I'm sorry guys but it's going to be Dolson.

I guess I never realized the lack of experience for those two AD's. That is a scary thought.
It shouldn't be a scary thought. Although neither men had experience as an AD or a member of athletic department staff, IU had specific needs that could be satisfied without that. For example, Fred was a partner with a well regarded law firm in Indianapolis which represented the Colts, and he had experience in facilities development and financial matters, needs of IU at the time.

Reactions: DANC
It shouldn't be a scary thought. Although neither men had experience as an AD or a member of athletic department staff, IU had specific needs that could be satisfied without that. For example, Fred was a partner with a well regarded law firm in Indianapolis which represented the Colts, and he had experience in facilities development and financial matters, needs of IU at the time.

What was Clancy Donniger’s qualifications?

Knight’s former lawyer?

I want an experienced AD like Kraft who has built something.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Kraft should be the obvious choice. But he's not a yes man like Dolson. I can't ever see IU hiring him.

Reynolds is a Knight disciple. No way IU would hire a Knight guy. I'm sorry guys but it's going to be Dolson.
I was the first poster on this board to surface Reynolds as someone I thought would be a good candidate. I don't know why you style him as "a Knight guy", unless all you mean is that he played for Knight. With respect to Dolson, all I can say is that my guts tell me that he has an uphill climb. I have no idea who the successful candidate will be, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is someone who has no IU connection.

It’ll be Dolson. IU loves to promote guys and not look outside the box more than any University on the planet. No freaking way they try to splash this hire. They’ll just have Dolson move to the office across the hall and continue to accept mediocre Athletics.

He's not a Fred clone. He may be Fred without the brain, but he's not a clone.

Reactions: Radio Zero

Kraft very highly educated as well. Masters And PhD. Both earned at Bloomington.

Fred also has an ego larger than the Grand Canyon.
I don't know the guy, but I've met him a few times. I found him to be very approachable and engaging. And I'm a nobody - just an IU grad and fan.

You can't do what he's done and be in his position without an ego. But I don't see that it's any detriment to him doing his job.

When you look at what the department was when he took over to what it is now, it's like night and day. He may have made a mistake in hiring Archie, but that's TBD. He got rid of a potential legal disaster in Wilson and seemingly hit a home run with Allen. The non-revenue sports are doing very well and the football program - a huge revenue generator - is strong.

I've got no complaints with Fred - he's an IU guy and I have no doubt he has IU's best interest in mind.

Reactions: Radio Zero
I don't know the guy, but I've met him a few times. I found him to be very approachable and engaging. And I'm a nobody - just an IU grad and fan.

You can't do what he's done and be in his position without an ego. But I don't see that it's any detriment to him doing his job.

When you look at what the department was when he took over to what it is now, it's like night and day. He may have made a mistake in hiring Archie, but that's TBD. He got rid of a potential legal disaster in Wilson and seemingly hit a home run with Allen. The non-revenue sports are doing very well and the football program - a huge revenue generator - is strong.

I've got no complaints with Fred - he's an IU guy and I have no doubt he has IU's best interest in mind.
Isn’t football the lowest revenue generator in the Big 10? And wasn’t Wilson an issue because Fred didn’t thoroughly vet him, didn’t properly monitor him, gave him a new deal instead and then fired him after an investigation exonerated him? I think Glass has done a C+ / B- job, but he doesn’t score very highly at all for how he’s done with football.

Isn’t football the lowest revenue generator in the Big 10? And wasn’t Wilson an issue because Fred didn’t thoroughly vet him, didn’t properly monitor him, gave him a new deal instead and then fired him after an investigation exonerated him? I think Glass has done a C+ / B- job, but he doesn’t score very highly at all for how he’s done with football.
I don't know - is it? If you have the stats, post them.

Wilson was chosen with the recommendation of Bill Polian. Is Fred any more of an exert than Bill Polian?

I don't know - is it? If you have the stats, post them.

Wilson was chosen with the recommendation of Bill Polian. Is Fred any more of an exert than Bill Polian?
Glass just acknowledged it a few weeks ago when he met with the media to talk about the status of the athletic department. Plenty of chatter prior to his hire about why he was viewed as a top OC but not a head coach. Then, even with known problems, Glass extended him with a large raise, only to fire him 11 months later.

Glass just acknowledged it a few weeks ago when he met with the media to talk about the status of the athletic department. Plenty of chatter prior to his hire about why he was viewed as a top OC but not a head coach. Then, even with known problems, Glass extended him with a large raise, only to fire him 11 months later.
So, you're saying Fred should have ignored Bill Polian's advice?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT