ADVERTISEMENT

New AD Nebraska

IU Fan 1989

Sophomore
Jun 9, 2011
Blacklick OH

They hired an AD who got rid of the football program at his last job? He hasn't managed a football program ever? So how exactly will this guy fix the football program, from his experience in college football 30 years ago? His AD experience is in the Summit league. Prior to that he was a commentator. Interesting choice.

They hired an AD who got rid of the football program at his last job? He hasn't managed a football program ever? So how exactly will this guy fix the football program, from his experience in college football 30 years ago? His AD experience is in the Summit league. Prior to that he was a commentator. Interesting choice.

so exactly what is it about NU's relationship with the conference that needs repairing?

does it possibly have anything to do with the fact that NU got "baited" into joining a conference where they would play OSU, PSU, Mich, MSU, on a regular basis, then "switched" by the conference dividing the league as soon as they joined, and being put into the division where playing OSU, PSU, Mich, MSU, on a regular basis wasn't happening, in the old bait and switcheroo?

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and mk23
so exactly what is it about NU's relationship with the conference that needs repairing?

does it possibly have anything to do with the fact that NU got "baited" into joining a conference where they would play OSU, PSU, Mich, MSU, on a regular basis, then "switched" by the conference dividing the league as soon as they joined, and being put into the division where playing OSU, PSU, Mich, MSU, on a regular basis wasn't happening, in the old bait and switcheroo?
Just like the B1G got “baited” into inviting a university that was an AAU member and seeing them get dropped from that organization before they became a member.

Nebraska should be thanking their lucky stars daily for having been able to dodge that type of routine scheduling... 😉

Did that really happen? I can believe it based on their stupidity of legends and leaders and their dishonesty of changing the rules to give osu the championship last year.

Reactions: mk23
To be fair, the B1G went out of their way to create "marquee matchups" in the beginning, and Nebraska was disproportionately scheduled to play OSU, Penn State, etc. Hence why they played us only twice in their first 11 seasons in the conference. The rest of the West has had it easy, but Nebraska has had the most difficult schedule on that side, IMO.

Also, Nebraska lost their way when their traditional recruiting hotbeds gave zero f's about B1G football. When you add in the step-up in competition in our conference and their lack of identity on offense, this was always a possible outcome for their program.

That's like the guy we hired for AD in the early 2000s who was never an AD at a school with football (Pacific).

That did not turn out well.

Edit: That AD was MIchael McNeely (*spit*)

Last edited:
Trev Alberts has his number retired as a Husker football player.

He was AD for 12 years at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. A division 1 football program.

He did eliminate wrestling, coming off a title year, and football.

He has guided that program from D2 to D1 very well.

He is a good hire. Nebraska has challenges, but good hire.

Reactions: IUXC68
That's like the guy we hired for AD in the early 2000s who was never an AD at a school with football (Pacific).

That did not turn out well.

Edit: That AD was MIchael McNeely (*spit*)
Pacific used to have football, but I'm not sure when it dropped the sport. It was known as College of Pacific and had an outstanding running back named Dick Bass, who played in the NFL.

“He was AD for 12 years at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. A division 1 football program.”
UNO never had a div 1 football program. They played in Division II through the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association. Both football and wrestling were good programs. But they were shut down in his first year. It probably wasn’t his call but he has never managed a football program at any level.

Pretty sure they didn't have the program when McNeely was there.
That's probably true. I think a lot of the colleges and universities dropped the sport in the 1960s. IU used to play Marquette, and it dropped football in the 60s. I think I found where they played games when I studied an old map. George Andrie of the Dallas Cowboys played for Marquette.

That's probably true. I think a lot of the colleges and universities dropped the sport in the 1960s. IU used to play Marquette, and it dropped football in the 60s. I think I found where they played games when I studied an old map. George Andrie of the Dallas Cowboys played for Marquette.
Hard to believe a Catholic school dropped football!

Trev is married to a friend of my wife's daughter , who is from Hamiton Indiana . They have a great family as his son just graduated from West Point , his oldest daughter plays volley ball at Clemson , and their youngest daughter who is still in high school is a very good athlete also . Trev signed a big contract with the Colts , but ended up retiring , because his knees were giving him problems , and he wanted to be able to walk as he got older . By the way his wife was also a very good athlete , and has a law degree. According to his mother -in-law , him taking the Neb . Job was kind of a surprise . Sounds like Nebraska reached out to him , and having played there he felt a loyalty to the school . They hope he can turn their programs around . Remains to be seen .

the first IU football game i attended as a kid was Marquette at IU, 10th St Memorial Stadium.

i remember it was HS band day, and there were a bunch of HS bands there.

UNO never had a div 1 football program. They played in Division II through the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association. Both football and wrestling were good programs. But they were shut down in his first year. It probably wasn’t his call but he has never managed a football program at any level.

And, during his 12 years as AD he took the program from D2 to D1. He also grew up and played for a P5 program. Now, he is the AD for his alma mater.

Reactions: vesuvius13
And, during his 12 years as AD he took the program from D2 to D1. He also grew up and played for a P5 program. Now, he is the AD for his alma mater.
I moved to Omaha before Trev Alberts' senior year in Lincoln. He is more than just an ex-player to those folks. He is the embodiment of all they want a player to be... All-american talent, intelligent, handsome and an all around good egg. I'm sure they're hoping he does as well as an AD.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I moved to Omaha before Trev Alberts' senior year in Lincoln. He is more than just an ex-player to those folks. He is the embodiment of all they want a player to be... All-american talent, intelligent, handsome and an all around good egg. I'm sure they're hoping he does as well as an AD.
Handsome? I didn't realize that was a requirement.

No wonder IU didn't accept my AD application!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT