ADVERTISEMENT

Never liked Goldwater... but

scribe56

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Please let this quote be accurate.
1DB105C5-5D15-4C0E-A7A8-D45D27F3DCD1_zps7gfova7u.jpg

I saw that attributed to him recently somewhere else.

I'm running into this problem with my brother, who suddenly (and surprisingly) has gone WAY out into this ultra-religious conservative lifestyle. He's texting me bible verses all the time, tells me he doesn't believe in proven scientific theory. I'm a slightly left-leaning moderate, but he is just incredulous that I could be anything but staunchly conservative on every single issue (gun control, gay marriage, religious freedom, etc). He thinks his religion is THE religion and that other religions and beliefs SHOULD take a back seat to Christianity and that this extends into government. In his mind, if you're not Christian (or even the right kind of Christian) then your basic human rights don't matter. He's making his 4-yr-old daughter memorize a bunch of bible verses and is planning to home school her because the public schools are "too liberal."

I don't understand what happened - he's a completely different person than who I grew up with. Anyway, he fits into your quote.

Reactions: PhishPhan682

I'm running into this problem with my brother, who suddenly (and surprisingly) has gone WAY out into this ultra-religious conservative lifestyle. He's texting me bible verses all the time, tells me he doesn't believe in proven scientific theory. I'm a slightly left-leaning moderate, but he is just incredulous that I could be anything but staunchly conservative on every single issue (gun control, gay marriage, religious freedom, etc). He thinks his religion is THE religion and that other religions and beliefs SHOULD take a back seat to Christianity and that this extends into government. In his mind, if you're not Christian (or even the right kind of Christian) then your basic human rights don't matter. He's making his 4-yr-old daughter memorize a bunch of bible verses and is planning to home school her because the public schools are "too liberal."

I don't understand what happened - he's a completely different person than who I grew up with. Anyway, he fits into your quote.

I'm experiencing this with my best friend. He's gone off of the rails.

Some of the meanest, most cold hearted mother f'ers I've ever met ended sentences with "praise the lord"

Sans his racism, he is my conservative spirit animal. He's where this posse of religious and mathematically challenged asshats that make-up today's right, need to jettison their religious and tea party folk and return to.

He was pro-choice and for gay rights as well, he had a nephew that was gay.
"A lot of so-called conservatives don't know what the word means. They think I've turned liberal because I believe a woman has a right to an abortion. That's a decision that's up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the Religious Right." - Barry Goldwater

But the current Christian right was not to Goldwater's liking. He had no use for its doctrinaire style. In the end, he was a libertarian, for abortion rights, for gay rights – a Goldwater grandson is homosexual.

Goldwater Was Outspoken, Untamable | WaPo

...and, gasp, he supported gun control.
I'm completely opposed to selling automatic rifles. I don't see any reason why they ever made semiautomatics. I've been a member of the NRA; I collect, make and shoot guns. I've never used an automatic or semiautomatic for hunting. There's no need to. They have no place in anybody's arsenal. If any SOB can't hit a deer with one shot, then he ought to quit shooting. – Barry Goldwater

Back when they said they supported individualism by word and deed. Not saying meaningless words and booting anyone who fails to agree with them to the curb as they do in the current party.

Last edited:

Maybe he's joined CHRISIS (ie Christian ISIS).

Just wait until a religious whack job somewhere in the world gets a nuke. This is the major reason I am so anti religious. Imagine if Pakistan goes full retard. The world will end and it will end based on made up BS written 1000's of years ago.

We need more lions...

Religion needs to go if humankind is to have any chance at surviving itself in the next 150 years.

It is retarding our intellectual growth.

Reactions: MaxCoke
I'm experiencing this with my best friend. He's gone off of the rails.

Some of the meanest, most cold hearted mother f'ers I've ever met ended sentences with "praise the lord"
I have friends from college who are twins. One of them has become a very religious person and the other is more like I remember in college. I have to very careful when I'm responding to them because I can't tell them apart. I once posted something on one's Facebook page with a curse word in it and he almost blocked me. Oh well, as my 6th grade teacher used to say, "everything in moderation."

Religion needs to go if humankind is to have any chance at surviving itself in the next 150 years.

It is retarding our intellectual growth.

It really only needs to get rid of those that want to take it into politics. Religion and faith are fine.

I use the term "Christian" and "christian", the former is the "Jesus loves me yes I know..." sort, they live close to the life Jesus led. Introspection, kindness, compassion, unjudging, helping hand and they aren't going to ask you about your sex life, that is your business only.

As opposed to "christians" which would be the ones you see me being exceedingly rude too. The Kim Davis, Huckabee, Cruz and the rest of the idiots and morons that are in the camp of stupid. Their existence is in insult to the life their savior led.

If your brother is saying things to you because he wants you to be saved then realize it is because he loves you. If he has grabbed onto just religion then there can be a problem because pride can get into his heart. It really depends on where he is coming from doesn't it? Just love him the best you can and good luck.

If your brother is saying things to you because he wants you to be saved then realize it is because he loves you. If he has grabbed onto just religion then there can be a problem because pride can get into his heart. It really depends on where he is coming from doesn't it? Just love him the best you can and good luck.

Saved from what?

STFU ...jesus christ you're annoying as fk..

He is a career politician, and I think he's using religion as an excuse for his extreme (in my view) political beliefs and thinks he's going to change my political views, not save me.

EDIT: I take that back, he was out of politics for a few years and then jumped back and went 'all in' conservative. Maybe he started running with some different people that have influenced him. I have a hard time thinking his newfound passion for religion is in the least bit genuine.

I wonder what Barry's view of abortion was? If you believe life starts at conception then how can you compromise? I am all for compromise. And since I am married it has been very important for our marital survival. But aren't there some things we can't compromise on?

The key to marital survival is putting it in her butt and often,

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
I wonder what Barry's view of abortion was? If you believe life starts at conception then how can you compromise? I am all for compromise. And since I am married it has been very important for our marital survival. But aren't there some things we can't compromise on?

pro-choice

In the bible life does not begin until outside the mother and the then baby receives the "breath of life".

Also in the bible, someone strikes another man's wife and causes her to lose the baby, aborting it. The man was fined and sent on his way. They even mention how it is the status of the husband that determines the amount of the fine.

For all intents, a woman is just chattel in the bible.

So...

The bible is pro-choice. Perhaps what you need to do is perform a human sacrifice, those are talked about being done in the bible, beastie sacrifices as well.

Hey did you ever explain how Unicorns got in the bible?

Last edited:
Or it's because he's a narcissistic, judgemental douchebag.

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
The bible doesn't mention abortion at all. Of course they didn't, because they were a bunch of uneducated ignorant slaves and had no idea of advanced medical techniques. They didn't know crap about anything. Anyone using 3000 year old stories made up by ignorant slaves for wisdom, or morality, should probably slam their heads into concrete.

wrong
The bible doesn't mention abortion at all. Of course they didn't, because they were a bunch of uneducated ignorant slaves and had no idea of advanced medical techniques. They didn't know crap about anything. Anyone using 3000 year old stories made up by ignorant slaves for wisdom, or morality, should probably slam their heads into concrete.

Wrong, it does mention it.

“When men strive together, and hurt a woman with child, so that there is a miscarriage, and yet no harm follows, the one who hurt her shall be fined, according as the woman’s husband shall lay upon; and he shall pay as the judges determine. If any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth...“--Exodus 21:22-24

...and by "no harm" in this case they are referring to the man and woman not the aborted chlid.

Also in Deurtorotomy if not others as well.

God is based on Babylonian slavemasters. That's why he's so irrational, illogical and incompetent.

That is a crock of shit based on ignorant, arrogant self-deification. Keep feeding it to yourself and your flock and face the consequences of its malnourishment.

Reactions: PhishPhan682
That is a crock of shit based on ignorant, arrogant self-deification. Keep feeding it to yourself and your flock and face the consequences of its malnourishment.

LOL .. Or what, is he gonna get pissed and turn me to salt? Or torture me for an eternity like loving Fathers do their children. Or will he flood the world again except for one family only because the rest wouldn't listen like slaves are supposed to? Speaking of complete crock of shit. God apparently didn't know crap about DNA testing did he. What a fraud.

so this globe of ours has a surface area of ~197M sq. miles. (509MsqK)

...god being is said to be Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnipresent.

Yet only an area the approx. the size of 4 of our states is where he was known and where all these so-called miracles of his were performed. ...and christians buy that.

No stories of him anywhere else until "word spreads"...

LOL .. Or what, is he gonna get pissed and turn me to salt? Or torture me for an eternity like loving Fathers do their children. Or will he flood the world again except for one family only because the rest wouldn't listen like slaves are supposed to? Speaking of complete crock of shit. God apparently didn't know crap about DNA testing did he. What a fraud.
You're on the right track, but still off by a bit. The Babylonian captivity is a major part of how God is portrayed in the Bible, but it's not that he was modeled off of Babylonians. Rather, the Jews had to come up with an explanation for why their country had been destroyed, so that's how God got his vengeance and fetish for making his children suffer, and that's why the entire history of the Jews is replete with them turning their backs on God at the slightest provocation.

so this globe of ours is has a surface area of ~197M sq. miles. (509MsqK)

...god being the all powerful and is said to be Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnipresent.

Yet only what is about the area of 4 of our states is where he was known and where all these so-called miracles of his were performed. ...and christians buy that.
Yes, yes, I know. I've seen the meme that you found on Facebook last week. So what? This thread was about Goldwater, and you did what you always do, find a way to go on an anti-religion screed. You move around so fast, it's impossible to have a conversation with you. You're too arrogant to have a real conversation, anyway, so that's probably not a loss. We'd all be a lot better off if you would just go away. For good. Thanks.

Yes, yes, I know. I've seen the meme that you found on Facebook last week. So what? This thread was about Goldwater, and you did what you always do, find a way to go on an anti-religion screed. You move around so fast, it's impossible to have a conversation with you. You're too arrogant to have a real conversation, anyway, so that's probably not a loss. We'd all be a lot better off if you would just go away. For good. Thanks.

I'll respond in a similar manner.

So what. Is anything I said wrong

Tell them to keep their fairy tales off the forum if they don't want people to respond. They talk about it and I'll talk about it. That what this place is for, you don't get that then resign.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT