ADVERTISEMENT

Neil Peart dead at 67 from brain cancer

There was no drummer who was more influential to me than Neil Peart.

In my high school years as I was learning to play drums, I used to meticulously memorize individual fills of Rush songs (as all budding drummers did back then), trying as best I could to emulate his virtuosity. Of course I couldn't live up to it, but simply trying stretched me as a player.

My first real drum kit was custom-built to Neil's specs by the same builder who built Neil's show kits back then, out of a drum shop in Fort Wayne, IN. I was always so proud of that and would brag about it. The guy's name was also Neil though I can't remember his last name right now.

In later years as a gigging drummer, I would sometimes incorporate little bits and pieces of riffs and techniques I learned from Neil into my repertoire - even if only for my own amusement knowing no one else would recognize them.

RIP Neil Peart. You are my hero, and thank you for inspiring me.

When we are young
Wandering the face of the earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal
For a limited time

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
45 years of writing lyrics and there was always at least one that seemed to speak to me at any given time in my life.

Everyone would gather
On the twenty fourth of May
Sitting in the sand
To watch the fireworks display
Dancing fires on the beach
Singing songs together
Though it's just a memory
Some memories last forever

From Lakeside Park. The first Rush album I ever heard was "All The World's A Stage," and it was transformative. I love the version of Lakeside Park from that live album.

Reactions: .Gerdis
My mom wanted me to play an instrument. She could play many instruments and wanted me to learn one. I took piano lessons but the old lady that started teaching me passed away. The next lady was an old maid that I did not like. When my mom saw it was useless, she let me stop.

A few years later I wanted to play drums. She found me a teacher and bought me a drum kit like I was using in my lessons. After practicing my paradiddles and drills I was supposed to practice, I would pop in a Rush 8 track and headphones and play in that pole barn for hours. Without hearing the music my mom thought I was playing something on my own. After a while, it started sounding pretty good. She was proud even though it was annoying as hell to everyone

I could probably play my version of Tom Sawyer today if I thought about it. It would never be the same or a fraction as good as Neil Peart, but I sure had a lot of fun.

My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about.
He says it used to be a farm,
before the motor law....
Red Barchetta is the song that made me a Rush fan. I was out for a late night jog sometime around 1998 and that song came on our local rock station (still in the Walkman days). When I finished my workout I called the station and said “what was that awesome Rush song”. The dj told me it was Red Barchetta. I bought Moving Pictures the next day and the rest was history.

A shame. For a short span Rush was my favorite band, though I lost interest in their stuff after Signals. Love him or hate him, the guy was a giant.

Last edited:
A shame. For a short span Rush was my favorite band, though I lost interest in their stuff after Signals. Love him or hate him, the guy was a giant.
That's about when I lost interest in them too. I ended up far preferring other styles of music, and other drummers too actually. But for a time, he was the shit.

Signals was the last one for me until I streamed Snakes and Arrows on Spotify. I realized the pendulum had swung back to prog rock from prog pop.

I never knew how great rock could be until I discovered Rush.

When I was younger, Geddy’s voice always turned me away. I just couldn’t get into it. Then when I got older and started really listening to music, I mean really HEARING it, I realized just how awesome they were.

Rest In Peace, to a real legend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT