ADVERTISEMENT

Needs to be fired immediately for this ...

go_iu

All-Big Ten
Feb 22, 2004
Per MSN ...

Fewer cupcakes mean more dough
Indiana wants Archie Miller to avoid playing too many easy opponents in the team's non-conference schedule. While those likely wins may be nice for the record, they don't help improve the team's chances of making the NCAA Tournament.

As an incentive, the Hoosiers coach received a $125,000 bonus for having no more than one team above 300 in Ken Pomeroy's college basketball analytic ranking from the previous season's Selection Sunday

So you want him fired for having a incentive for playing better teams? Something that people criticized Crean for doing, playing to many cupcakes. He's playing better teams and you are complaining. Lol.

God, you are really hitting stupid.
It's an egregious incentive, why should you make 125K for not padding the schedule with cupcakes? And. oh, we get that $$$ if we only have one team above 300 scheduled. Good ****ing grief, this reaks of Fred Glass

Per MSN ...

Fewer cupcakes mean more dough
Indiana wants Archie Miller to avoid playing too many easy opponents in the team's non-conference schedule. While those likely wins may be nice for the record, they don't help improve the team's chances of making the NCAA Tournament.

As an incentive, the Hoosiers coach received a $125,000 bonus for having no more than one team above 300 in Ken Pomeroy's college basketball analytic ranking from the previous season's Selection Sunday

Is it the no more than one part you have a problem with. In other words, do you think a bonus fir having ZERO > 300 teams is a ok?

Is it the no more than one part you have a problem with. In other words, do you think a bonus fir having ZERO > 300 teams is a ok?
I have A MAJOR PROBLEM THAT WE HAVE TO PAY HIM EVEN MORE TO TRY TO SUCK LESS AND GUESS WHAT, DIDN'T WORK THIS YEAR

And no, we should not ever be scheduling 300 or worse teams, nor should he be rewarded for managing to do it ... it doesn't say he scheduled good teams, but he''s been rewarded unjustly for not scheduling the very bottom. He should give that money back if he had a conscience this year

Last edited:
I have A MAJOR PROBLEM THAT WE HAVE TO PAY HIM EVEN MORE TO TRY TO SUCK LESS AND GUESS WHAT, DIDN'T WORK THIS YEAR

Lol.

Who are you replacing on the schedule this year? The only games you could have done it to were Providence and Florida State. We went 1-1 in those games.

This shows you acting like a child and throwing a tantrum, Uncle Rico.

Reactions: MrBing
Lol.

Who are you replacing on the schedule this year? The only games you could have done it to were Providence and Florida State. We went 1-1 in those games.

This shows you acting like a child and throwing a tantrum, Uncle Rico.
Why should he reap an additional 125K for trying not to suck? Hell, this incentive is absurd. It's basically you can schedule Duke, et al non-conference, and lose them all, still suck, but for trying you get 125K bonus?

IU doesn’t want I U to play cupcakes but they pay him extra money to play cupcakes. Grow up.
But he's taken the money, and why should he need to be enticed to not schedule the bottom of barrel, it's just absurd. His normal salary, which he also doesn't deserve, should intimate to him not to pad your schedule with cupcakes, but instead, he gets a bonus of like a tenured professor's salary because we managed not to schedule more than 1 shit team?

Think I'm done caring until he's fired, puts it over the top for me

Last edited:
Why should he reap an additional 125K for trying not to suck? Hell, this incentive is absurd. It's basically you can schedule Duke, et al non-conference, and lose them all, still suck, but for trying you get 125K bonus?

It's absolutely fing ridiculous. Fred makes the schedule with CAM's input. He should have simply told CAM when he interviewed, we're going to play a competitive schedule, within reason. How about, instead, a $125000 bonus for beating a certain # of top 25 teams?

But he's taken the money, and why should he need to be enticed to not schedule the bottom of barrel, it's just absurd. His normal salary, which he also doesn't deserve, should intimate to him not to pad your schedule with cupcakes, but instead, he gets a bonus of like a tenured professor's salary because we managed not to schedule more than 1 shit team?

Lots of coaches schedule cupcakes in pre conference season for many reasons. To ease into the season. Play and develop younger players and bench depth. Make it harder to lose your job if you get close to 20 wins. Bottom line is neither IU nor its fans wants to see that. So the contract ensures that we don’t. I have no issue with it.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
So you want him fired for having a incentive for playing better teams? Something that people criticized Crean for doing, playing to many cupcakes. He's playing better teams and you are complaining. Lol.

God, you are really hitting stupid.
No, that's not the point. The point is we already pay the ****er 3.5 million to know how to schedule

Lots of coaches schedule cupcakes in pre conference season for many reasons. To ease into the season. Play and develop younger players and bench depth. Make it harder to lose your job if you get close to 20 wins. Bottom line is neither IU nor its fans wants to see that. So the contract ensures that we don’t. I have no issue with it.
That's the major fing problem I have with it ... this needs to be a BONUS? Is 3.5 M not enough, do we have to start paying a bonus to not cheat?

That's the major fing problem I have with it ... this needs to be a BONUS? Is 3.5 M not enough, do we have to start paying a bonus to not cheat?

It isn’t cheating and I haven’t looked but I would be willing to bet that many high profile coaches getting paid plenty of money do this. No need to be this worked up over a bonus that IU offered him.

Reactions: asindc
It isn’t cheating and I haven’t looked but I would be willing to bet that many high profile coaches getting paid plenty of money do this. No need to be this worked up over a bonus that IU offered him.
I didn't say he was cheating simpleton, I posed the question that if we have to have incentives for him to construct a competitive schedule outside of his already undeserved salary, what's next? Do we need incentives not to cheat? Maybe we do, his brother probably does

Reactions: BoilerMadness
I didn't say he was cheating simpleton, I posed the question that if we have to have incentives for him to construct a competitive schedule outside of his already undeserved salary, what's next? Do we need incentives not to cheat? Maybe we do, his brother probably does

Simpleton lol. Your face is a simpleton..... burn

Reactions: Radio Zero
It's an egregious incentive, why should you make 125K for not padding the schedule with cupcakes? And. oh, we get that $$$ if we only have one team above 300 scheduled. Good ****ing grief, this reaks of Fred Glass
Shit.....give me $125,000 right now and I’ll turn in a schedule that consists of every top 10 team of the year, twice, home and away.

I could have Archie gone in 5 games!

Or as an AD (coaches boss) tell the coach who they play.

Talk to the ppl who gave him the contract. He could only accept what they offered him.

You’re talking about routine contract clauses in today’s game. Every major league coach has similar incentives in theirs too. Maybe not always about scheduling per se but similar nonetheless.

It’s called the competitive marketplace. Wait until a new coach is hired and you will see layers of tiered incentives built in to that contract too. And rest assured, FG won’t be the one writing it.

Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

And no, we should not ever be scheduling 300 or worse teams, nor should he be rewarded for managing to do it ... it doesn't say he scheduled good teams, but he''s been rewarded unjustly for not scheduling the very bottom. He should give that money back if he had a conscience this year

I doubt that he'll give the money back. I believe he's hearing rumors that he may soon be unemployed. He may need that money.

Of all the things to complain about, this is the worst. Archie should be gone, but not for this. Look at any major coach and all have some kind of incentivized clauses in their contracts whether it be for scheduling, APR scores, attendance numbers, etc.

This move actually saves IU money. Most of these schools who are regularly rated in the 300+ range fund their basketball programs accepting 6 figure checks from P5 schools to get their brains beat in 9-10 times during their non-conference schedule. IU is never going to agree to a home and home with a school like Northern Alabama and the only way to get them to come play in Bloomington is by cutting them a handsome check. Under Crean, IU was playing 5-6 300+ rated teams and writing multiple 6 figure checks each year. $125k to Archie to not sign off on scheduling these teams is a bargain for the IU athletic department.

Reactions: Beorik

Because the last coach padded his schedule with cupcakes.

Because the last coach padded his schedule with cupcakes.

Exactly, this is the "Crean Clause" and has nothing to do with what AM would have or wouldn't have scheduled without it. This was in there from the beginning because of how awful Crean's schedules were. The next coach will likely have the same thing in there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT