ADVERTISEMENT

Need some new music to check out. Suggestions please.

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
Ever since I saw Sturgill Simpson live, I've been listening to his albums non-stop. I now dig his music even more than Jason Isbell. Also just downloaded some Tyler Childers. Been listening to the Wood Brothers, Chuck Mead, Elbow, Dr. John, John Prine, Dan Auerbach, Milk Carton Kids, Brandi Carlile, Beth Hart, Guy Clark, John Moreland, Dave Rawlings Machine.

Throw me some more suggestions. I know this list is heavy on Americana, but feel free to throw out other genres as well. Back in the day I spent most my time spinning Pixies and Guided By Voices albums. So don't be afraid to tell me about some new cool bands.

TIA!

070618Scorpion.jpg

cant miss

Houndmouth...and Katie Toupin who left Houndmouth is putting out some of her own solo stuff.

The Record Company
St Paul & The Broken Bones
Alabama Shakes
Father John Misty
Big fan of FJM & Alabama Shakes. SP&BB are fun, Record Company doesn't do much for me. Thanks though

For you Sturgill fans, this Facebook live video of Sturgill standing outside the CMA awards is pretty awesome. Warning it's kinda long, but worth checking out.

Ever since I saw Sturgill Simpson live, I've been listening to his albums non-stop. I now dig his music even more than Jason Isbell. Also just downloaded some Tyler Childers. Been listening to the Wood Brothers, Chuck Mead, Elbow, Dr. John, John Prine, Dan Auerbach, Milk Carton Kids, Brandi Carlile, Beth Hart, Guy Clark, John Moreland, Dave Rawlings Machine.

Throw me some more suggestions. I know this list is heavy on Americana, but feel free to throw out other genres as well. Back in the day I spent most my time spinning Pixies and Guided By Voices albums. So don't be afraid to tell me about some new cool bands.

TIA!
New music? I wasn't aware of that.:rolleyes:

If you like any country at all I'd give Sturgill a shot.
Predictably, I like old country. You know, Don Gibson, Floyd Kramer, Ferlin Husky, Patsy Kline. But only a few certain songs of each. Really just not a country fan.
Thanks for the suggestions though.

Last edited:

TIA!

Try some Brett Cobb ... really good.Ain't A Road Too Long

Thanks for th suggestion, I will check it out.
I see he’s opening up for Stapleton at Deer Creek in October. Speaking of Stapleton, it’s very easy to trash someone once they become immensely popular, but the guy has a unique voice and I’m pretty sure writes his own material and has something to say. I liked him well before his success when playing with the Steeldrivers. He’s really good. Maybe he’s part of the Nashville machine now which kinda sucks but he is country/bluegrass/Americana and success shouldn’t be a reason not to like someone anymore.

The next group of Highwayman may well be Isbell, Simpson and Stapleton. It will be ****ing amazing!

Reactions: kkott
Thanks for th suggestion, I will check it out.
I see he’s opening up for Stapleton at Deer Creek in October. Speaking of Stapleton, it’s very easy to trash someone once they become immensely popular, but the guy has a unique voice and I’m pretty sure writes his own material and has something to say. I liked him well before his success when playing with the Steeldrivers. He’s really good. Maybe he’s part of the Nashville machine now which kinda sucks but he is country/bluegrass/Americana and success shouldn’t be a reason not to like someone anymore.

The next group of Highwayman may well be Isbell, Simpson and Stapleton. It will be ****ing amazing!

Agree ... I’m a fan of Stapleton and Simpson both ... for something a bit different you may like Anderson East.

this tune is catchy, educational, and has a forum connection - it stars VPM's daughter at about the 3:20 mark

Anyone listen to Angel Olsen? Think I need to dive into her albums. Not sure where to start. That’s the beauty of Spotify.

For something different from what he's doing now vs the Steeldrivers is the stuff he did with his band The Jompson Brothers.

Went to see Tedeschi/Trucks Band, Drive By Truckers and Marcus Kings Band last night. Great night of music! Derek is just amazing, plays that slide as well as anyone I've seen.

Reactions: evvcabinetman
I just cant get into sturgill...
I listen to Isbell a lot, Avett Bros, Houndmouth, Ray Wylie some and like the Dave Rawlings Machine(thanks for reminder)...along with rap...

Just cant do Sturgill.

I’ll admit I started out liking live Sturgill more than his studio recordings. Check out his SNL performance. You might have a different reaction.

Went to see Tedeschi/Trucks Band, Drive By Truckers and Marcus Kings Band last night. Great night of music! Derek is just amazing, plays that slide as well as anyone I've seen.

My son and I were there as well - one of the most enjoyable shows I’ve seen in a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT