ADVERTISEMENT

Need new music recommendations

Bredo

Freshman
Dec 18, 2001
I need to inject some new life into my music collection. Anyone have a "newer" rock band they like? My base line is Led Zeppelin, GNR, Black Crowes, Pearl Jam, Dead, DMB

I need to inject some new life into my music collection. Anyone have a "newer" rock band they like? My base line is Led Zeppelin, GNR, Black Crowes, Pearl Jam, Dead, DMB
Check out Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats and The Record Company. Both of these bands are two of my favorites from the last 18 months or so.

Reactions: IUAPEX
Check out Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats and The Record Company. Both of these bands are two of my favorites from the last 18 months or so.

Yep ... these get a thumbs up from me too

If that's your baseline . . . well, nice selection . . . but I got nothin' for you. That line of music development is dead, ain't goin' nowhere . . . what's been done in that vein is all there is to be done.

Time to give up, watch The Voice and go country, just like MTIOTF . . . .

Reactions: largemouth

TRC has some promise . . . they're authentic enough. A little worried that they're getting stuck in every song sounding the same . . . if they get creative they might become great.

Rateliff . . . I dunno . . . .

I'm completely out of the cool and trendy music scene anymore as the old man that I've turned into...but as far as new bands I'm digging what Royal Blood is cooking.

I'm a guitar player so I shouldn't like them, because there are no guitars...just a distorted bass running through a bunch of octave effects like a pitch glide, but it's cool and swanky and allows them to be as heavy/dirty as any band while being able to really have their songs be cool, punchy, bluesy riffs.

I'd say they are a combo of Muse and the White Stripes with a pinch of Alice in Chains (with those dark riffs and 5th harmonies).

If you don't want to hear the whole tune, just forward to the 2:00 mark for the bridge and outro which is super cool and gives you the gist of their sound.

The song Lights Out is a really cool tune also by them. I just like that they have a different way of getting their sound and it kind of pisses me off that I never thought of it (as I started on bass).

Last edited:
Reactions: Cream&Crimson
Thanks for the recommendations............lots of good options here. No kidding on the Greta Van Fleet sound. The singer sounds about as close to Plant as I have heard. Unfortunately, they don't have Page on guitar, but I still l kind of dig it.

Here are some random suggestions for ya’ll:

If you want to discover some older music in the 70s folk rock genre that you likely haven’t heard, then JJ Cale is your top bet. I hadn’t heard any of his records, and he’s tops. I know weve discussed his music here before, and above in this thread.

Similarly, in the classic jazz world, I recently discovered Mal Waldron, a pianist. It’s tough to find good jazz from that era that you’ve never heard of.

In the new folk genre, I really like Gregory Alan Isakov. He’s already put out a few records, so some of you are probably already familiar.

Khruangbin is brand new instrumental trio music that i listen to a lot. Kinda lounge-y, kinda like the meters, maybe. I love it.

Real Estate is a new band making new 90s guitar jangle pop not too far off from REM, with a different voice.

Chris Dave’s new Drumhedz record coming out soon is going to be amazing. There’s only one song to check out now, but I know what its going to be like. Top notch.

Your Daily Mix on Spotify is a great way to check out new music in the genres you already like.

Reactions: Bredo

Not sure if you're a fan of AC/DC. If so check out Rhino Bucket.

Specifically their self titled album and "Get Used to It"

I find that when I need something new to listen to, I go old instead of new.

I’ll throw on Spotify and type in Sam Cooke. If you like that kind of old soul and R&B you’ll listen and learn about some of the greats like James Carr, Arthur Conley, O.V. Wright, Clarence Carter, Wilson Pickett, Solomon Burke, Otis Redding, Percy Sledge and of course Al Green. This should keep you busy for awhile. Enjoy!

ADVERTISEMENT