ADVERTISEMENT

Need a bourbon suggestion.

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
A friend of mine from KY is hosting a derby party and celebrating his 40th birthday party. He’s a bourbon fan of which I know little about. Need some suggestions on what bourbon to gift him. Prefer something I can find locally in Indy. TIA

A friend of mine from KY is hosting a derby party and celebrating his 40th birthday party. He’s a bourbon fan of which I know little about. Need some suggestions on what bourbon to gift him. Prefer something I can find locally in Indy. TIA

Knob Creek - named after Lincoln’s family farm - mid range in price

Blanton’s was a rage a decade ago

Woodford is the new Makers Mark

That’s what I hear

Koval. Why? He’s from Kentucky and this bottle may not be there because it’s from Chicago. They may turn their nose up to it because it’s not from Kentucky until they taste it.

I think you should get him 2 bottles: Old Crow for you to drink, and Pappy Van Winkle for your buddy.

What really cracks me up are descriptions of beer, wine and liquor. Here's a description of PVW:

Early aromas of caramel and cream with soft notes of oak, nuts and leather. Features a sweet taste composed of vanilla, maple and honey joined by complimentary flavors of citrus and spice. Has a long lasting oaky finish, along with many of the early flavors.

Guess what? Still tastes like bourbon to me.

Just once as a spoof I think someone should write: ...early hint of cow semen... or some such shiite.

Ok, the purchase has been made. Grabbed a bottle of Eagle Rare. Went to Crown Liquors on 106th and Michigan. They really like this bottle and said it’s been very hard to get based on supply and demand. Mentioned many of your suggestions and based on what I know he likes they suggested this bottle.

Hopefully I didn’t just buy the equivalent of Manichevitz (some of you guys know what I’m saying).

Btw, it’s a 10 year and made by the Buffalo Trace Distellery.

While there I picked up some Zombie Dust because I won’t be touching any bourbon.

Apparently Blantons has become difficult to get and they didn’t have Koval.

My buddies wife says he likes Blantons, McKenna and bookers and likes Small batch but for the price.

Apparently Blantons has become difficult to get and they didn’t have Koval.

My buddies wife says he likes Blantons, McKenna and bookers and likes Small batch but for the price.
Koval may not have wide distribution yet. I normally don’t bother with anything not made in Kentucky, but there are some nice distillery’s from other places. I would like to try more, but too much bourbon and rye sitting around can be bad for me ha. High West is another distillery from Utah that makes some nice bourbon and Rye.

Like I was saying these bottles can be fun to take to derby party’s because no else brings them and you can sample other stuff. The bottle you got will be a winner for sure though.

Ok, the purchase has been made. Grabbed a bottle of Eagle Rare. Went to Crown Liquors on 106th and Michigan. They really like this bottle and said it’s been very hard to get based on supply and demand. Mentioned many of your suggestions and based on what I know he likes they suggested this bottle.

Hopefully I didn’t just buy the equivalent of Manichevitz (some of you guys know what I’m saying).

While there I picked up some Zombie Dust because I won’t be touching any bourbon.

Eagle Rare is good, your friend will appreciate the effort.

Eagle Rare is good stuff! Haven't been able to find it lately. It was pretty inexpensive for a while, then it was like everyone discovered it at once and the price shot up and I couldn't find it anywhere!

Eagle Rare is good stuff! Haven't been able to find it lately. It was pretty inexpensive for a while, then it was like everyone discovered it at once and the price shot up and I couldn't find it anywhere!
Well this makes me feel good! Think it was like $33 a bottle.

Four Roses Single Barrel is solid, imo.
As is the Four Roses small batch. Very good bourbon especially for the price

Blantons is my fave but hard to find which sucks.

Angles envy is solid.

Bulleit is good.

Woodford is always good.

Knob Creek is meh. Overrated.

To each their own.

When I slum it I go Evan or Turkey 101.

As is the Four Roses small batch. Very good bourbon especially for the price

Blantons is my fave but hard to find which sucks.

Angles envy is solid.

Bulleit is good.

Woodford is always good.

Knob Creek is meh. Overrated.

To each their own.

When I slum it I go Evan or Turkey 101.

Turkey 101 is also my cheap go to. I also really like 1792 for less than $30.

Reactions: IU40IU
Straight out of the bottle if you're in a hurry...in a glass if you have time to pour.

For a Manhattan, Bulleit Rye is the correct choice. You can also drink it with ice and it holds up.
Bulleit rye neat or with splash of water. That’s how I drink all my whiskeys. Good stuff. I personally don’t care for mixers.

Reactions: PhishPhan682
Anyone else find themselves drinking less and less? I'm not sure I'd drink anything but the very occasional beer after I cut grass or workout, if the entire country would get off their collective duff and make rec pot legal nationwide.

Anyone else find themselves drinking less and less? I'm not sure I'd drink anything but the very occasional beer after I cut grass or workout, if the entire country would get off their collective duff and make rec pot legal nationwide.

No. Next question.

Reactions: Eppy99
No. Next question.
I increasingly limit my intake to pre-dinner, though. The 5:00 cocktail hour is pretty choice. End of day so the “stuff” is behind you. Empty stomach and the cocktail is thus impactful but not filling. And the food that follows takes the edge off so your night and next day are all good.

I increasingly limit my intake to pre-dinner, though. The 5:00 cocktail hour is pretty choice. End of day so the “stuff” is behind you. Empty stomach and the cocktail is thus impactful but not filling. And the food that follows takes the edge off so your night and next day are all good.

As I’ve gotten older, I drink for taste. That bourbon, or that lager or that vino sound good. That usually limits my intake. But some times something sounds good on round 4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT