ADVERTISEMENT

Ned Beatty Dies

hookyIU1990

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
Hell of a debut role as Bobby Trippe.

Deadline: Ned Beatty Dies: Oscar-Nominated Star Of ‘Network’ & ‘Deliverance’ With More Than 160 Screen Credits Was 83.
Has one actor ever been so defined and linked by a single supporting role than Ned Beatty?

Reactions: Bill4411
I nominate Robert Shaw as Quint in Jaws. I think Ned Beatty was great in everything he was in. Loved him as Rudy's dad.

Anthony Hopkins - Silence of the Lambs. He did win an Oscar though.
Both of those guys are great and you make good arguments.

Quint is pretty good, but I loved The Sting as a kid and see him as Lonnegan too.

Hopkins will always be Colonel Frost in A Bridge too Far and then Lecter to me.

Ned Beatty will always have a purty mouth and squeal like a pig.

Both of those guys are great and you make good arguments.

Quint is pretty good, but I loved The Sting as a kid and see him as Lonnegan too.

Hopkins will always be Colonel Frost in A Bridge too Far and then Lecter to me.

Ned Beatty will always have a purty mouth and squeal like a pig.

actually i think it was Jon Voight who had the pretty mouth!

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Wouldnt consider that a supporting role...
I could go either way on it. He won the Best Actor Oscar for sure but was on screen for only 13 minutes of the movie. Plus the story was mainly focused on Clarice

I could go either way on it. He won the Best Actor Oscar for sure but was on screen for only 13 minutes of the movie. Plus the story was mainly focused on Clarice
Yeah, I suppose it's a subjective call and don't know how a role is considered lead vs supporting. But of the cases mentioned, imo, I'd consider Beatty's role in Deliverance as supporting, but not Hopkins; you couldn't really have a Silence of the Lambs without that character. With Quint, it would be hard to imagine that movie without that character (although they had to do that with the sequels), but I would've had to look up who played Quint, whereas I think Ned Beatty has become a household name for his Deliverance role. Not to the same degree to me.

Last edited:
I'm imagining the scene prior to filming Ned Beatty's infamous scene...

Director knocks on the door for Ned's trailer - "Mr. Beatty, we're ready to shoot the scene. Mr. Beatty? Can you unlock the door? Look we know you're in there - c'mon you're holding things up here. Mr. Beatty, it's in your contract..."

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I'm imagining the scene prior to filming Ned Beatty's infamous scene...

Director knocks on the door for Ned's trailer - "Mr. Beatty, we're ready to shoot the scene. Mr. Beatty? Can you unlock the door? Look we know you're in there - c'mon you're holding things up here. Mr. Beatty, it's in your contract..."
If I was Ned, I would have requested an "ass double" for that scene.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT