ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska fires their AD

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Not messing around.....said it wasn't completely about football, that they expect ALL their teams to be competitive.

I don't think that standard applies at IU......look at volleyball, women's soccer, softball, wrestling, field hockey, men's & women's T & F....

Reactions: birdforbogey
Yea it was a nonfootball move. Just happened to come mid season right after losing to a MAC school at home with a coach who received an extension last week and is also over 60 and barely has a .500 lifetime winning percentage....

I hear you, but they are also pissed about basketball and baseball. If it was ONLY about Riley, I think Riley would have been fired. As it is, he coaches the rest of this season and the new guy hires his replacement.

Not messing around.....said it wasn't completely about football, that they expect ALL their teams to be competitive.

I don't think that standard applies at IU......look at volleyball, women's soccer, softball, wrestling, field hockey, men's & women's T & F....
IU volleyball is 11-2. Their coach and the wrestling coach (who has had success in the past) have gotten a lot of patience because the facilities have been God awful. They get their new arena next year.

The softball coach finally got replaced after having some time with their new stadium. We hired the coach from Marshall who has about as good of a resume as you will find. We will see.

I believe field hockey and women's soccer have coaches either in their first or second years.

As for track:

GENEVA, Ohio – For the first time in five seasons, the Big Ten Indoor Championships trophy is headed back to Bloomington. The Indiana University men's track and field team won the 2017 Indoor Big Ten Championships with a score of 112, taking down second place Penn State, who finished with 84 points.

The women's team finished with 69 points, good for fifth place. This is the Hoosiers first top five finish in the indoor conference meet since 2011, which was also a fifth place finish.

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The Indiana University track and field team will send six athletes to Eugene, Ore. to compete in the NCAA Championships.

I hear you, but they are also pissed about basketball and baseball. If it was ONLY about Riley, I think Riley would have been fired. As it is, he coaches the rest of this season and the new guy hires his replacement.
They hated the Riley hire and fired the guy who made it. They canned the AD before they're going to get rid of Riley so that he doesn't botch another one.

LOLOLOL.... laughing at all Nebraska administration.... Maybe Pelini wasn't so bad after all... LOLOLOLOL... according to Wiki... he's still making 2.875 mill through 2018 from Nebraska... keep cashing those checks Pelini... smile all the way to the bank...

Reactions: IUgradman
LOLOLOL.... laughing at all Nebraska administration.... Maybe Pelini wasn't so bad after all... LOLOLOLOL... according to Wiki... he's still making 2.875 mill through 2018 from Nebraska... keep cashing those checks Pelini... smile all the way to the bank...
Didn't Pelini average nine wins a year at Nebraska? If IU's coach did that they would name the stadium after him.

Eichorst was known as the invisible AD at Miami too. Did make a good basketball hire there but football wise he was nonexistent. Rarely went to games. Was dumb for Nebraska to hire him in the first place.

Reactions: Lucy01
Didn't Pelini average nine wins a year at Nebraska? If IU's coach did that they would name the stadium after him.

Yes, he did. But he didn't win big games. In fact, the Huskers often played poorly in marquee games. And to top it off, he was often critical of the fanbase. Even if Peleni was correct in his criticisms, you can't publicly say it. Bo wasn't going to restore the program to its former glory.

There are a few parallels between Nebraska football and IU basketball.

The nickname given to him by Miami media was due to the low profile he kept with them, not because he “rarely went to games”. Why lie about something so trivial?

Ahh the unknown. Low profile? You mean when several alumni in the NFL wouldn't recognize who the AD is? At their own school?

Good luck to you!

Ahh the unknown. Low profile? You mean when several alumni in the NFL wouldn't recognize who the AD is? At their own school?

Good luck to you!
In other words, you were way off base on the game attendance thing you made up. Just wondered whether you were purposely lying or just not familiar with the facts.

Agreed. Glass has done some good things but the on field results aren't good enough. He held on to Crean three seasons too long. He hired Wilson when Mike Leach was available.
And then hired Allen without any sort of search. No was else was interviewed. No one else was even considered. Glass never played, never coached, never worked in any athletic department, and never hired a coach. Ever. But he was the perfect guy to lead the IU Athletic Department nonetheless. Lol

Glass' future is contingent on these two recent hires. So far both seem like good fits. Some people just can't let a certain narrative go.
The narrative of constantly making excuses for idiotic moves? Agreed, many of us aren't in favor of that kind of stewardship of the athletic department.

Reactions: fpeaugh
The narrative of constantly making excuses for idiotic moves? Agreed, many of us aren't in favor of that kind of stewardship of the athletic department.
Both the football and basketball programs are in the upswing, and glass has been willing to play the heavy for the moves that needed to be made.

Reactions: IUgradman
Both the football and basketball programs are in the upswing, and glass has been willing to play the heavy for the moves that needed to be made.
Glass also gave both Wilson and Crean huge contract extensions, only to fire them both later. He's bad at his job because he brought absolutely no experience to it. If you're happy settling for mediocrity, then he's your guy, and you'll fit in well as an IU fan. But for those of us who want more, he's the Mount Everest of impediments to excellence.

And then hired Allen without any sort of search. No was else was interviewed. No one else was even considered. Glass never played, never coached, never worked in any athletic department, and never hired a coach. Ever. But he was the perfect guy to lead the IU Athletic Department nonetheless. Lol

I agree a national search should have been done for Wilson's replacement. I think Glass was afraid Allen would bolt quickly and made a rushed decision as a result. I am not giving up on TA yet though. He has done a good job recruiting and coaching the defense and special teams thus far. We need to give him a couple of seasons to make a determination of his competence. Archie seems to have been a homerun hire thus far, especially if he can pull in a five star or two to round at his first recruiting class.

McRobbie isn't particularly focused on sports so Glass isn't going anywhere unless he screws up in a major way.

Last edited:
I agree a national search should have been done for Wilson's replacement. I think Glass was afraid Allen would bolt quickly and made a rushed decision as a result. I am not giving up on TA yet though. He has done a good job recruiting and coaching the defense and special teams thus far. We need to give him a couple of seasons to make a determination of his competence. Archie seems to have been a homerun hire thus far, especially if he can pull in a five star or two to round at his first recruiting class.

McRobbie isn't particularly focused on sports so Glass isn't going anywhere unless he screws up in a major way.
Not giving up on Allen either, but curious as to why you think recruiting is going well. Relative to the rest of the Big Ten, IU is grouped with Purdue, Illinois and Rutgers at the bottom of the league in consensus recruiting rankings, and they've really struggled in state.

Not giving up on Allen either, but curious as to why you think recruiting is going well. Relative to the rest of the Big Ten, IU is grouped with Purdue, Illinois and Rutgers at the bottom of the league in consensus recruiting rankings, and they've really struggled in state.

Ronnie Walker and Reese Taylor are the main reasons why I commented positively about our recruiting. Those two are difference makers.

The upswing is because of Wilson. We’ll see how long it lasts with Allen.
I appreciate a ton of what Wilson did, but I wish people would give Allen credit for the ridiculous job he did with the defense. The guy can coach. And his first recruiting class is already better than last year's recruiting class.

I've learned that a lot of people don't actually want the best possible coach, they want the biggest possible name so they can brag all off-season to people about hiring the biggest possible name.

Well I would certainly hope no one was "giving up" on TA yet. He's coached three games and is 2-1. They've looked good.

Ronnie Walker and Reese Taylor are the main reasons why I commented positively about our recruiting. Those two are difference makers.
This is also the best start to a class, other than 2013, that we've had in like 20 years. If you get mostly three stars with solid offer lists, you can have a solid program. A lot of programs do just that.

They need to stay on the upswing as FGs future as an AD depends on it. As many very good things as have happened under his leadership...and there have been many, those two things still drive the bus.

Well I would certainly hope no one was "giving up" on TA yet. He's coached three games and is 2-1. They've looked good.

The constant negative and insulting nature of some unhappy folks has always been the case. I am no Pollyanna...I'm pretty objective about things, but this is just how some folks help themselves feel better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT