ADVERTISEMENT

Nearly the entire SEC has ALREADY announced that..

Pigalow

All-American
Nov 8, 2012
they will have students on campus this fall. That's how determined they are to play football. Not to be....selfish, insensitive & all of those things, but I do hope the entire country is able to do the same by August. I think the situation is likely to improve considerably between now & then, but will it be enough? We'll see.

I think the situation is likely to improve considerably between now

Just wondering...why do you think that? I just saw the number of projected deaths by August doubled this week...and that's during the warm summer months that are supposed to be "favorable" for us. I pray you're right, but I'm curious if you saw something I missed - which is possible because I'm trying not to focus on it so much.

Just wondering...why do you think that? I just saw the number of projected deaths by August doubled this week...and that's during the warm summer months that are supposed to be "favorable" for us. I pray you're right, but I'm curious if you saw something I missed - which is possible because I'm trying not to focus on it so much.
? I'm just wondering why you think that I think that? They have ANNOUNCED their intentions to do this this, it's in the title of the thread. This isn't my opinion.

Last edited:
they will have students on campus this fall. That's how determined they are to play football. Not to be....selfish, insensitive & all of those things, but I do hope the entire country is able to do the same by August. I think the situation is likely to improve considerably between now & then, but will it be enough? We'll see.
The SEC drives the college playoffs. If they are playing, which is certainly appears they will, then the Big Ten will play. They simply can't afford not to play.

The SEC drives the college playoffs. If they are playing, which is certainly appears they will, then the Big Ten will play. They simply can't afford not to play.
Well, intending to & doing are 2 different things BUT, I will say that simply having the intention to do so is the 1st & possibly most important step. Obviously, if millions of people get sick the death #'s climb high,. this won;' happen no matter what anyone intends to do, but if the outbreak progresses in a typical way as it is in Europe, for example, than I think there's a real shot of them getting their way. We'll see!

It's always amazed me that people put so much faith in numbers from a computer. We've all learned from sports rankings from a computer are basically worthless, and these "projections of deaths" hasn't even been remotely close since this thing started. The adjusted CDC deaths of COVID in the US for the week ending on 5/2/20 is 631 total. That's over 6,000 less than the week before. Now, the numbers will continue to be adjusted as they can be investigated, but the numbers are saying things are getting better. I think at this point, it's okay to be cautiously optimistic as total death rates per cases is still 0.3%, which is parrallel with what a normal flu season runs. The good thing is if you don't feel safe, and you don't want to participate, then by all means stay home. But Freedom of Choice allows those of us that feel comfortable, to resume our normalish lifestyle.

Right now, other than that computer model, there's nothing statistically to say that numbers are going to double. In other countries, by week 6, the numbers drop considerably and by week 8, the death counts are extremely low. I just don't see the US being the only country in the world where the numbers go in reverse.

But May will be a crucial month for what will happen the rest of the year in my opinion

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

It's always amazed me that people put so much faith in numbers from a computer. We've all learned from sports rankings from a computer are basically worthless, and these "projections of deaths" hasn't even been remotely close since this thing started. The adjusted CDC deaths of COVID in the US for the week ending on 5/2/20 is 631 total. That's over 6,000 less than the week before. Now, the numbers will continue to be adjusted as they can be investigated, but the numbers are saying things are getting better. I think at this point, it's okay to be cautiously optimistic as total death rates per cases is still 0.3%, which is parrallel with what a normal flu season runs. The good think is if you don't feel safe, and you don't want to participate, then by all means stay home. But Freedom of Choice allows those of us that feel comfortable, to resume our normalish lifestyle.

Right now, other than that computer model, there's nothing statistically to say that numbers are going to double. In other countries, by week 6, the numbers drop considerably and by week 8, the death counts are extremely low. I just don't see the US being the only country in the world where the numbers go in reverse.

But May will be a crucial month for what will happen the rest of the year in my opinion

Yes, the projections have been way off so far. The thing is, they acknowledge that there are so many things they don't know about the virus, but yet they continue to make these projections as if they do know. I think...they shouldn't be making them at all. I mean, they haven't been just a little bit off, they've been WAY off. Like the 1 in Washington state that the experts seem to think is so reputable, a couple weeks ago, while we already had 58k dead, losing 2k per day, they predicted 74k by August 4th??? Wth was that? WHY even say something like that? & that was after they'dd done a similarly pathetic projection a few weeks before that! How are we supposed to put any stock into that stuff? A Chimpanzee could have predicted that we'd hit 74K months before August 4th. Plus, they cause some people to react with fear, & concern that might be unfounded. I wish they would just say, look, things could get bad if we don't....such & such & such, or something along those lines.

It's always amazed me that people put so much faith in numbers from a computer. We've all learned from sports rankings from a computer are basically worthless, and these "projections of deaths" hasn't even been remotely close since this thing started. The adjusted CDC deaths of COVID in the US for the week ending on 5/2/20 is 631 total. That's over 6,000 less than the week before. Now, the numbers will continue to be adjusted as they can be investigated, but the numbers are saying things are getting better. I think at this point, it's okay to be cautiously optimistic as total death rates per cases is still 0.3%, which is parrallel with what a normal flu season runs. The good thing is if you don't feel safe, and you don't want to participate, then by all means stay home. But Freedom of Choice allows those of us that feel comfortable, to resume our normalish lifestyle.

To make the computer predictions even worse is they are using the ones that failed so miserably so far yet people want to believe they are correct for the future. We need officials to reject the models that failed and pay attention to the numbers we are seeing not anticipating.

To make the computer predictions even worse is they are using the ones that failed so miserably so far yet people want to believe they are correct for the future. We need officials to reject the models that failed and pay attention to the numbers we are seeing not anticipating.

Mama said that boy cried “wolf,” and now nobody believes him. Said Aesop said so.

Hope that wolf died.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
I like you guys but I believe you're dead wrong.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

This reopen at all cost stuff IS going to cost us dearly in my opinion...

//See how the Spanish Flu was reignited for reference...//

I’m hopeful people will live safe, wear masks, stay away from the vulnerable, wash hands, etc.

I get the return of the Spanish flu, but things were really different in 1918 .

There has to be a little to the heat thing. Florida should’ve blown up like crazy by now...but it really hasn’t considering how they’ve basically done very little.

One of the first conversations I had with anybody about this was with a person who spent December in China. She told me in February that the testing was showing the virus struggled at temperatures above 83 in labs. but who knows?

Frankly I’ve been surprised by the lack of science being reported. They’ve had five months and (allegedly) 3.8 million cases worldwide to study. That’s a hell of a body of data to just still be guessing.

Last edited:
There has to be a little to the heat thing. Florida should’ve blown up like crazy by now...but it really hasn’t considering how they’ve basically done very little.
Florida announced they now only report COVID-19 for residents. No longer reporting all people in Florida. Data integrity appears to be challenged and misleading. Sad.

Not surprised. The beaches are already open in the south and people are flocking to them. That $$$ is too important to let a small thing like a world wide pandemic to stop football, beach access and eating out. DWS!

Nothing wrong with going to the beach if you keep your distance...in fact very healthy to do so....the problem is that many people are too stupid/careless.

Goes back to the general proposition that to maintain a free society people must be smart and engaged. The dumber and more careless people are, the more rules, laws and limitations on the freedom of the population as a whole.

And things aren't looking good. 80% of young adults want restrictions on 'hurtful' speech, safe spaces, and 'free speech zones'. So the smartest among us are pansies, and a lot of the remainder are morons.

I like you guys but I believe you're dead wrong.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

This reopen at all cost stuff IS going to cost us dearly in my opinion...

//See how the Spanish Flu was reignited for reference...//

The quotes from Cu

One humorous aspect is that Vandy is the only school that hasn't yet come on board.

Which means one or both of two things: (1) they're not anxious to get back to getting their butts kicked; or (2)their kids are too rich to risk getting sick.

I noticed from the stories that the only other school to really express reservations (as least from what I saw) was Missouri.....a midwest state.

Reactions: vesuvius13

It will be very interesting what Big 10 states do if the SEC goes back as planned....

And I say states rather than schools....in the South, the schools control the governors....in the Midwest, the governors control the schools, with the possible exceptions of Ohio & Nebraska.

I could definitely see a situation where 3/4 of the 14 don't play.............

Thoughts and prayers. That's not much of a plan. There is nothing to point at that would indicate that this will get better by August. On the contrary all signs point to this getting worse.

One of the first conversations I had with anybody about this was with a person who spent December in China. She told me in February that the testing was showing the virus struggled at temperatures above 83 in labs. but who knows?

Frankly I’ve been surprised by the lack of science being reported. They’ve had five months and (allegedly) 3.8 million cases worldwide to study. That’s a hell of a body of data to just still be guessing.
The temperature thing puzzles me, as the virus seems to function just fine in the human body at 98.6 degrees.

Reactions: UncleMark
The quotes from Cu

One humorous aspect is that Vandy is the only school that hasn't yet come on board.

Which means one or both of two things: (1) they're not anxious to get back to getting their butts kicked; or (2)their kids are too rich to risk getting sick.

I noticed from the stories that the only other school to really express reservations (as least from what I saw) was Missouri.....a midwest state.
Not sure if it’s in any way connected, but Vanderbilt also has a prestigious medical school that may be weighing in on this?

It is a big jump from holding some classes on campus and playing football. I doubt there will be any lecture hall classes with 300 students. Packing 60,000 folks into an extra curricular activity? Will the bands play? Would there be concession stands?

But the biggest issue is what does a team do regarding social distancing? Everyone should realize that players and staff would get sick.

Last edited:
Reactions: cryano
As someone else said, what these schools "intend" to do and what they end up doing could be two very different things. College housing (dorms and Greek) is pretty much a perfect environment for a contagious illness. Sure, most college-age people don't get seriously ill from the virus, but some do and some have died. I wouldn't want to be the college president of a school that has an outbreak in the Fall and then has to deal with the parental backlash ("You assured me that Johnny would be safe!"), media coverage and litigation that would follow.

Thoughts and prayers. That's not much of a plan. There is nothing to point at that would indicate that this will get better by August. On the contrary all signs point to this getting worse.

Actually, if you looks at the actual stats, there is evidence that things are already getting better.

Go here:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/

Look at Table 1

BUT - grain of salt - The number of deaths reported by CDC is low for (at least) 2 reasons - (1) NY/NYC recently deleted some of their death numbers because they weren't tested for Covid (can't really tell if CDC added those numbers to the other columns yet), and (2) the CDC/NCHS gets their numbers on a delayed basis and wait for better confirmation (including death certificates) than the propoganda outlets. Plus, the CDC separates "just covid" from "covid and other stuff." Most media are reporting over 73,000 deaths as of today. For this reason, I ignore the week of 5/2 numbers.

The main point is that the deaths are thankfully dropping, despite the continued media doomsday frenzy based on "number of cases" - which is evidence of "increased testing," not more actual disease spread.

I'm sure your state governor did the same thing mine did (Kentucky) - in the beginning we were told that the number of cases was meaningless, because we didn't have testing, and that the disease was already in every county and every town (which was accurate - it had been spreading since at least December, likely earlier) and we shoud act accordingly. But now, months later, despite still testing less than 2% of our population, our governor says the "number of cases" is now "proof" the virus is still getting worse.

The actual stats say we have zero deaths - ZERO - of people under 30, and 75% of our deaths are people over 70, with 90% over age 60.

And - again thankfully - if you took every single Kentucky person who has been hospitalized with Covid and put them all in the hospital at the same time, on the same day, AND gave them each an ICU bed, we'd still have excess ICU capacity.

NYC has different facts. They can make a different plan. But based on the numbers, I'm way more worried about the old and sick than the young and healthy around here.

And I don't need the young and healthy to stay home unemployed - I need them to stay away from the old and sick. THAT should be the focus. Especially if masks and hand washing is the key. We can handle that.

Especially if masks and hand washing is the key. We can handle that.
It seems that many actually can't handle masks. Afraid they'll look afraid, I guess, even though the main purpose is to prevent the mask-wearer from transmitting the virus to someone else, not the other way around. And then there's the restraint on liberty argument, which we'll leave to the Water Cooler.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Wish they’d just make the mask thing a requirement. No shirt no shoes no mask no service. Pretty simple solution. Inside...have to wear it...outside you don’t. Masks inside public areas, social distance outside, keep the old and vulnerable inside. It’s not that hard.

Actually, if you looks at the actual stats, there is evidence that things are already getting better.

Go here:

Look at Table 1

BUT - grain of salt - The number of deaths reported by CDC is low for (at least) 2 reasons - (1) NY/NYC recently deleted some of their death numbers because they weren't tested for Covid (can't really tell if CDC added those numbers to the other columns yet), and (2) the CDC/NCHS gets their numbers on a delayed basis and wait for better confirmation (including death certificates) than the propoganda outlets. Plus, the CDC separates "just covid" from "covid and other stuff." Most media are reporting over 73,000 deaths as of today. For this reason, I ignore the week of 5/2 numbers.

The main point is that the deaths are thankfully dropping, despite the continued media doomsday frenzy based on "number of cases" - which is evidence of "increased testing," not more actual disease spread.

I'm sure your state governor did the same thing mine did (Kentucky) - in the beginning we were told that the number of cases was meaningless, because we didn't have testing, and that the disease was already in every county and every town (which was accurate - it had been spreading since at least December, likely earlier) and we shoud act accordingly. But now, months later, despite still testing less than 2% of our population, our governor says the "number of cases" is now "proof" the virus is still getting worse.

The actual stats say we have zero deaths - ZERO - of people under 30, and 75% of our deaths are people over 70, with 90% over age 60.

And - again thankfully - if you took every single Kentucky person who has been hospitalized with Covid and put them all in the hospital at the same time, on the same day, AND gave them each an ICU bed, we'd still have excess ICU capacity.

NYC has different facts. They can make a different plan. But based on the numbers, I'm way more worried about the old and sick than the young and healthy around here.

And I don't need the young and healthy to stay home unemployed - I need them to stay away from the old and sick. THAT should be the focus. Especially if masks and hand washing is the key. We can handle that.

My understanding is that if one carves out NYC and the surrounding communities the rest of the county looks worse.

Reactions: UncleMark
If football is going to be played (or any team sport, really, at any given time) the question is going to be what happens when a player, or even two, on a team gets it. That is when it will be changed, and shut down, more than likely. Look at the NBA - that was was what they did immediately when one player tested positive. A team, any team, could just get decimated. The only way there is a season, is if that doesn't happen.

Not surprised. The beaches are already open in the south and people are flocking to them. That $$$ is too important to let a small thing like a world wide pandemic to stop football, beach access and eating out. DWS!
The Southeast has some of the lowest death rates in the country for Covid-19.

Why wouldn't they be one of the first ones to open things up?

Florida announced they now only report COVID-19 for residents. No longer reporting all people in Florida. Data integrity appears to be challenged and misleading. Sad.
And NYC added 3,700 deaths just out of the blue - for 'assumed' coronaviur infections.

If you read the news, you know that flu deaths are now at a very low level. Why do you think that is?

Everyone who dies who has the coronavirus are being counted as a Covid-19 death, whether the virus had anything to do with it.

New York and New Jersey constitute half the coronavirus deaths in the US. Follow the money.

Wish they’d just make the mask thing a requirement. No shirt no shoes no mask no service. Pretty simple solution. Inside...have to wear it...outside you don’t. Masks inside public areas, social distance outside, keep the old and vulnerable inside. It’s not that hard.
Any business can require a mask if they want to.

Go here:

Look at Table 1

Looking at the numbers and doing a little math 90% of all reported COV19 deaths are 55 and older. There are some younger deaths but miniscule by per cap numbers. Our country needs to taylor the steps to control this virus buy focusing on the isolating the groups with great danger and the younger group to live like normal taking some reasonable steps to stay safe. By the way mask that aren't rated N95 won't stop the virus no matter who wears them - follow science.

The Southeast has some of the lowest death rates in the country for Covid-19.

Why wouldn't they be one of the first ones to open things up?
In theory I agree. Here's my question: If you're a governor and your state counts on tourism how anxious are you to report the risk? The political agenda may be having an impact on data integrity. I have zero facts to back it up. Just my thought.

In theory I agree. Here's my question: If you're a governor and your state counts on tourism how anxious are you to report the risk? The political agenda may be having an impact on data integrity. I have zero facts to back it up. Just my thought.
I don't think the governor controls the count. Deaths are reported to the local coroner and then that info goes to places like the CDC. If there was a large difference between what the CDC says and what the Governor (via state health departments) says, the media would be all over it.

I agree politics may play into it, but only to raise the number via 'assumed' Covid-19 deaths (not tested). The verified virus deaths would be hard to hide , in this environment.

Here's the thing, and it's been reported here. Mortality rates for anyone under 60 are just extremely rare. I don't have the link, but I saw where 80% of deaths are those 80+.

I'm 65 and a cancer patient in remission. By all accounts, I'm high risk, although I don't have pulmonary issues). If IU said I need a clean bill of health to go to games, I'd get one. Wear a mask? Fine. (but I don't want the government requiring me to wear one when i leave the house) But those not in risk categories have very little to fear.

Last edited:
I don't think the governor controls the count. Deaths are reported to the local coroner and then that info goes to places like the CDC. If there was a large difference between what the CDC says and what the Governor (via state health departments) says, the media would be all over it.

I agree politics may play into it, but only to raise the number via 'assumed' Covid-19 deaths (not tested). The verified virus deaths would be hard to high , in this environment.

Here's the thing, and it's been reported here. Mortality rates for anyone under 60 are just extremely rare. I don't have the link, but I saw where 80% of deaths are those 80+.

I'm 65 and a cancer patient in remission. By all accounts, I'm high risk, although I don't have pulmonary issues). If IU said I need a clean bill of health to go to games, I'd get one. Wear a mask? Fine. (but I don't want the government requiring me to wear one when i leave the house) But those not in risk categories have very little to fear.
Good post. Congratulations on remission. I hope you continue to get good numbers in the future. Saw a post from "Vesuvius 13" above stating 90% of reported were 55 plus. I'm 58 and in good health but understand I'm at greater risk than my children.
Regarding the government - I'm in the freedom of choice camp. People should be able to chose what's best for their family. Legislation of moral issues like marriage, drugs, etc is a loser and impossible to control but can be punished. Again follow the money. As long as you don't hurt me or my family, damage my property, or steal from me I'm good. You got me going on the Govt. Huge grin! Best of luck moving forward.

The # of deaths are being exploited by hospitals because they are paid thousands of dollars by the feds. My wife talked to a Mennonite woman, she knows, [her group is her sect is isolated from the public and she said one died at home from cancer and two from an automobile accident. When they got the death certificate they were reported to have COV19 despite their isolation. Don't take the #s about COV19 with any salt because they are not accurate about deaths in this country.

Good post. Congratulations on remission. I hope you continue to get good numbers in the future. Saw a post from "Vesuvius 13" above stating 90% of reported were 55 plus. I'm 58 and in good health but understand I'm at greater risk than my children.
Regarding the government - I'm in the freedom of choice camp. People should be able to chose what's best for their family. Legislation of moral issues like marriage, drugs, etc is a loser and impossible to control but can be punished. Again follow the money. As long as you don't hurt me or my family, damage my property, or steal from me I'm good. You got me going on the Govt. Huge grin! Best of luck moving forward.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I've been lucky so far.

Follow the money - I've been saying that a lot lately.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
The # of deaths are being exploited by hospitals because they are paid thousands of dollars by the feds. My wife talked to a Mennonite woman, she knows, [her group is her sect is isolated from the public and she said one died at home from cancer and two from an automobile accident. When they got the death certificate they were reported to have COV19 despite their isolation. Don't take the #s about COV19 with any salt because they are not accurate about deaths in this country.
You know, the evolution of the messaging on coronavirus numbers is pretty comical. Six or seven weeks ago, when we had conducted minimal testing and our (U.S.) numbers looked really good relative to the rest of the world, the message out of the executive branch and associated media was that we were doing an amazing job controlling this thing. Then, with more testing coupled with the horror stories coming out of New York, Detroit, New Orleans, etc., and as our numbers dramatically increased, the argument was that our numbers were accurate but the numbers from other countries couldn't be trusted. Now, with our numbers off the charts, the message is our numbers can't be trusted. Maybe the next message will be that there's no such thing as numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT