ADVERTISEMENT

ND releases Bartleson

Redshirt him-unless there is a pattern of behavior? If he needs help-let’s get him help. If he can play-give him a shot somehow.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Redshirt him-unless there is a pattern of behavior? If he needs help-let’s get him help. If he can play-give him a shot somehow.
Unless there is something really unique I think this would be a total reversal of CTA's approach to date.

There would have to be some real walking on glass or through fire for this person to get on this team.

I feel for the kid and family...what a waste of an opportunity.

What he stole, monetarily, is less than 1 year of college tuition, food, etc.

He really messed up.

TomT

Crack pipe? A little extreme don’t you think? Do you know anything about the kid? From the release, seems out of character. ND recruits pretty high character kids I think. You probably never have needed a second chance though I’m sure.
It is not like he got caught drinking or shoplifting. Good lord these charges are serious. Let someone else give the second chance.

Last edited:
That kid is being charged as an adult and his next football opportunity will be playing in the Southern Penal League...

He might get a shot at a workout for the Las Vegas Raiders 3 to 5 years from now...

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
He’s a kid. Made a mistake. Life is about second chances
No! Life is about choices, & making the right ones. Robbery is not a "mistake". Causing an auto accident which results in fatalities as a result of speeding, is a mistake. There is a very clear difference between the 2, & differences between those who do & don't "deserve" 2nd chances. I'm not saying someone from his category cannot EARN a 2nd chance, but they do not deserve one simply because they're human & they need or want one. Life is about not putting yourself into position to need a 2nd chance.

Here is something you aren't getting. The kid is 18 and got caught with 2 16 year olds. As the oldest one, he is supposed to be the leader and the more mature person in that group. Do you really want that type of leadership and lack of judgment anywhere near your football team? A kid like this could be a real cancer and take other players down with him.
In addition, these are real serious crimes.This isn't 3 juvies out on Halloween Night, Soaping Windows, Egging Houses, TPing Trees, or out joy riding or spray paint tagging. These are kids who committed serious crimes that could have caused bodily injury or death to others.

Oh Yes, for those of you who believe in recruiting ratings, the kid is only a 3 Star. Many keep complaining that we don't get enough 4 or 5 Star Recruits. You can always find a 3 Star Corner Back with as much ability, no current baggage, and much less potential to cause huge problems for your program once on Campus.

the kid is only a 3 Star. Many keep complaining that we don't get enough 4 or 5 Star Recruits. You can always find a 3 Star Corner Back with as much ability, no current baggage, and much less potential to cause huge problems for your program once on Campus.
He’s a three star with offers from every top program. Might as well be a 4*

100% a hard pass.

If he gets through this, he'll have a 2nd chance somewhere. But I'd prefer it not be IU. Frankly, the team isn't talented enough to flirt with trouble like that and how much it could bring down some kids. I don't recall any players on the team being arrested this year, certainly not for major felonies. That's a streak I'd like to see continue.

**Edit** And, legal opinion, the school wouldn't have much to any liability for bringing in a "bad" kid and the kid subsequently hurt someone. As a general rule, the school would have to really do something to enable that kind of behavior before they'd be held responsible for a student's actions. Students get accused of terrible crimes (e.g. rape) every year and the school doesn't get sued just because they admitted them.

100% a hard pass.

If he gets through this, he'll have a 2nd chance somewhere. But I'd prefer it not be IU. Frankly, the team isn't talented enough to flirt with trouble like that and how much it could bring down some kids. I don't recall any players on the team being arrested this year, certainly not for major felonies. That's a streak I'd like to see continue.

**Edit** And, legal opinion, the school wouldn't have much to any liability for bringing in a "bad" kid and the kid subsequently hurt someone. As a general rule, the school would have to really do something to enable that kind of behavior before they'd be held responsible for a student's actions. Students get accused of terrible crimes (e.g. rape) every year and the school doesn't get sued just because they admitted them.
I respectfully disagree with your "legal analysis". If the University had full prior knowledge of specific previous Illegal activity, and that illegal activity or comparable activity continued on campus, resulting in harm to another student, as a Lawyer, I would file Civil Suit against the perpetrator and the University, particularly if the individual were admitted because he was an athlete and would not have been admitted otherwise. So if you have somebody who committed a crime involving possession or use of a weapon, and you admit them and they commit a robbery or battery or assault with a weapon, why shouldn't the Institution be responsible?

If you want to play Father Flannigan to the kid, you better provide a 24/7 Baby Sitter and have him under surveillance at all times. Leave that work for someone who is specifically designed to provide it.

I respectfully disagree with your "legal analysis". If the University had full prior knowledge of specific previous Illegal activity, and that illegal activity or comparable activity continued on campus, resulting in harm to another student, as a Lawyer, I would file Civil Suit against the perpetrator and the University, particularly if the individual were admitted because he was an athlete and would not have been admitted otherwise. So if you have somebody who committed a crime involving possession or use of a weapon, and you admit them and they commit a robbery or battery or assault with a weapon, why shouldn't the Institution be responsible?

If you want to play Father Flannigan to the kid, you better provide a 24/7 Baby Sitter and have him under surveillance at all times. Leave that work for someone who is specifically designed to provide it.
You make it sound like someone was hurt during this event. No was injured. Kids take stuff that isn’t theirs all the time

I've been practicing for a while now and the only cases semi-on point that I can think of involve Butler U (https://fox59.com/2018/08/27/woman-...fraternity-regarding-december-2016-rape-case/) and Purdue (the Isaac Haas case).

In Haas's case, the allegation in the complaint against Purdue is about the alleged cover-up.

In Butler's case, from what I can tell without buying the filings on PACER, the school is being accused of backing off of one alleged rape before the athlete in question committed a second. But this would be the real one to follow to see how the theory pans out.

But whether I think a university should be held responsible for athletes' crimes, it all really comes down to duty/breach/foreseeability. If a university takes even a minimum number of steps for a student with a criminal past before they come on campus, I think it'd be fairly easy for a school to defeat the "breach" prong.

As a counter example, if a kid gets into college with a conviction for Minor Consumption and one for DUI, and proceeds to kill someone in a drunk driving accident, is the school liable for allowing that person in? I think it'd be a tough sell.

But I love talking about legal stuff, so feel free to DM me so we don't hijack the thread and bore non-lawyers.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT