ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA is a joke and about to get owned.

Cavanagh.13

Senior
Nov 6, 2019

Frankly, IU is going to be one of the biggest winners in this. The current staff is already pumping it in recruitments. IU will compensate players more than almost any other school in the country. IU UK UNC KU etc. a few huge winners in this. Hell, I’ll pay Tamar to put “Cavanagh was right”on his shoes.

Frankly, IU is going to be one of the biggest winners in this. The current staff is already pumping it in recruitments. IU will compensate players more than almost any other school in the country. IU UK UNC KU etc. a few huge winners in this. Hell, I’ll pay Tamar to put “Cavanagh was right”on his shoes.
For what reason(s) do you believe “IU will compensate players more than almost any other school in the country”? There’s nothing that supports this, other than wishful ”thinking”.

For what reason(s) do you believe “IU will compensate players more than almost any other school in the country”? There’s nothing that supports this, other than wishful ”thinking”.
Don't we get 100,000 in our football stadium at premium prices, 8 times every fall? Oh, wait.

Some people have no idea what a cash cow FB is at the schools where alums are diehard supporters. I wish IU could be that way, but we have LONG LONG way to go.

Don't we get 100,000 in our football stadium at premium prices, 8 times every fall? Oh, wait.

Some people have no idea what a cash cow FB is at the schools where alums are diehard supporters. I wish IU could be that way, but we have LONG LONG way to go.
I believe the figure is closer to 200,000 though, in fairness, that’s for the entire season. So, for us, football is more like a cash calf. Or lamb.

We have a huge donor base and we are a 1 sport school (sorry but true). Most of our booster advertising dollar will go to basketball while other schools Michigan, OSU, etc will have to have their donors split between football and basketball. This is huge for schools like IU, Kansas, Duke, UNC, and Kentucky.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
Most of our booster advertising dollar will go to basketball while other schools Michigan, OSU, etc will have to have their donors split between football and basketball. This is huge for schools like IU, Kansas, Duke, UNC, and Kentucky.
It depends on the size of the revenue from football vs. basketball, though, and how the revenue is then divided up.

I have always been led to believe that football revenue for the top football schools greatly exceeds basketball revenue for the top basketball schools.

Reactions: indy1203
We have a huge donor base and we are a 1 sport school (sorry but true). Most of our booster advertising dollar will go to basketball while other schools Michigan, OSU, etc will have to have their donors split between football and basketball. This is huge for schools like IU, Kansas, Duke, UNC, and Kentucky.
But our football revenue is dwarfed by all of those other schools, as is the overall profile of our athletic programs versus their’s. Their higher tides will lift the boats much more than ours will. The rich will be made richer by this, not poorer, and high revenue football programs will drive it even more. Our AD figures are only where they are because of those high profile BT football programs. They’re the ones who will benefit most by this.

It depends on the size of the revenue from football vs. basketball, though, and how the revenue is then divided up.

I have always been led to believe that football revenue for the top football schools greatly exceeds basketball revenue for the top basketball schools.
It does. The BTN exists primarily as a result of those high profile schools that sell several million football tickets annually (combined) at premium prices, and who draw huge television numbers nationwide due to their large alumni bases. We’re a passenger, not a captain.

The revenue for NIL doesn’t come from schools. It comes from the fanbase/donors. Think of it like endorsement deals for professional players. They are paid buy outside companies, not their respective teams.

But our football revenue is dwarfed by all of those other schools, as is the overall profile of our athletic programs versus their’s. Their higher tides will lift the boats much more than ours will. The rich will be made richer by this, not poorer, and high revenue football programs will drive it even more. Our AD figures are only where they are because of those high profile BT football programs. They’re the ones who will benefit most by this.
You should probably read up more on what NIL is. The schools themselves are not involved (directly) with paying athletes for NIL. NIL is for endorsement deals from outside companies/people. IU a rich IU donor could pay TJD $1 million for an autograph (not going to happen, but just using as an example).

Reactions: Florida4IU
You should probably read up more on what NIL is. The schools themselves are not involved (directly) with paying athletes for NIL. NIL is for endorsement deals from outside companies/people. IU a rich IU donor could pay TJD $1 million for an autograph (not going to happen, but just using as an example).
I know exactly what it is, but your limited view of the world doesn’t permit you to see what a relatively small fish IU is in the college sports ocean. Plenty of schools will be able to generate as much if not far more. Our ability to truly “compete” here will be limited, at best, by both geography and profile.

Last edited:
I know exactly what it is, but your limited view of the world doesn’t permit you to see what a relatively small fish IU is in the college sports ocean. Plenty of schools will be able to generate as much of not far more. Our ability to truly “compete” here will be limited, at best, by both geography and profile.
This is the correct answer.

Leaving aside the fact that collegiate sports as we know it will get less and less popular as we move into the abyss of being even more of a minor professional league rather than 'amateur' sports, which is exactly what 99% of the college athletes really are. Then you have the 1% (or less) of student-athletes that actually have a decent market value that this rule is designed to help, but big picture wise, I think it will be to the detriment of ALL of college athletics and fans.

I know exactly what it is, but your limited view of the world doesn’t permit you to see what a relatively small fish IU is in the college sports ocean. Our ability to truly “compete” here will be limited, at best, by both geography and profile.
If you knew what it was, why were you bringing up football revenues? We have one of the biggest basketball fan bases in the country, and deep pocketed donors who will be primarily focused on making basketball better while other schools’ donors will have to split between both.

You trying to say we are a relatively small fanbase in basketball is probably your worst take of all time. Go checkout the follower count for each Big Ten team’s Twitter accounts.

IUBB - 1 MILLION
MSU - 444k
Michigan - 303k
Wisconsin - 299k
Illinois - 137k
OSU - 127k
Purdue - 120k

The rest aren’t even worth mentioning. IUBB is extremely popular and that will be a huge advantage for NIL.

This is the correct answer.

Leaving aside the fact that collegiate sports as we know it will get less and less popular as we move into the abyss of being even more of a minor professional league rather than 'amateur' sports, which is exactly what 99% of the college athletes really are. Then you have the 1% (or less) of student-athletes that actually have a decent market value that this rule is designed to help, but big picture wise, I think it will be to the detriment of ALL of college athletics and fans.
In the near term, southern schools with somewhat local media (think television and radio) will do well, as will schools in larger communities that lack either professional sports or another nearby school. IU is in the smallest town in the Big Ten, with no local media presence and significant nearby competition from two other collegiate programs, not to mention professional sports organizations (one of which is extremely popular). The landscape will become more crowded, endorsement deals will get somewhat softer, and the vast majority of student athletes won’t sniff much of anything.

Reactions: MIS01
If you knew what it was, why were you bringing up football revenues? We have one of the biggest basketball fan bases in the country, and deep pocketed donors who will be primarily focused on making basketball better while other schools’ donors will have to split between both.

You trying to say we are a relatively small fanbase in basketball is probably your worst take of all time. Go checkout the follower count for each Big Ten team’s Twitter accounts.

IUBB - 1 MILLION
MSU - 444k
Michigan - 303k
Wisconsin - 299k
Illinois - 137k
OSU - 127k
Purdue - 120k

The rest aren’t even worth mentioning. IUBB is extremely popular and that will be a huge advantage for NIL.
You’re simply showing how little of the world you’ve seen. Not understanding how football drives the revenue bus in college sports and how it impacts the profile of sports programs shows how little you know here. As for deep pocketed donors, we’re a small fish in a huge ocean.

You’re simply showing how little of the world you’ve seen. Not understanding how football drives the revenue bus in college sports and how it impacts the profile of sports programs shows how little you know here. As for deep pocketed donors, we’re a small fish in a huge ocean.
You are so dumb. Football profits have nothing to do with why IU will have a huge advantage. We have far and away the biggest basketball fanbase in the conference, and likely top 5 in the country. Since you can’t seem to understand it, I’ll spell it out for you.

- Tamar Bates goes off for 30 points against Purdue.
- IU’s Twitter account tweets out congratulations and encourages their 1 million followers (more than double the next closest school) to congratulate him too, and they post a link to his Twitter bio.
- His Twitter bio has a link to signed pictures of him for $10/pic.
- 1500 fans buy a pic (That’s only 0.15% of the IU account Twitter followers)
- Tamar Bates makes $15,000

You are thinking the major benefits of this are going to be in commercials and that sort of thing. That’s not what is going to be the case.

This is a huge win for IUBB.

You are so dumb. Football profits have nothing to do with why IU will have a huge advantage. We have far and away the biggest basketball fanbase in the conference, and likely top 5 in the country. Since you can’t seem to understand it, I’ll spell it out for you.

- IU’s Twitter account tweets out congratulations and encourages their 1 million followers (more than double the next closest school) to congratulate him too, and they post a link to his Twitter bio.

You are thinking the major benefits of this are going to be in commercials and that sort of thing. That’s not what is going to be the case.

He is an idiot. Name and likeness is going to help the crazy fanbases. The average joe is gonna spend money on them. Something dumb like at the village deli TJD is gonna be at breakfast all day, pancakes for 20 bucks!

IU players, meaning BASKETBALL players, will be able to make more than almost every other college basketball players in the country. Obviously they aren't going to make millions like NBA athletes, but IU star players will be some of the highest compensated if they want to be.

Again, Birnky doesn't understand me paying Tamar 5 grand to put something very stupid on his shoes has nothing to do with football attendance, and only my passion for IU basketball and my willingness to give 5k for it. IU will have CRAZY amounts of average Joes throwing money at the basketball team. University wont have to do a thing.

He is an idiot. Name and likeness is going to help the crazy fanbases. The average joe is gonna spend money on them. Something dumb like at the village deli TJD is gonna be at breakfast all day, pancakes for 20 bucks!

IU players, meaning BASKETBALL players, will be able to make more than almost every other college basketball players in the country. Obviously they aren't going to make millions like NBA athletes, but IU star players will be some of the highest compensated if they want to be.

Again, Birnky doesn't understand me paying Tamar 5 grand to put something very stupid on his shoes has nothing to do with football attendance, and only my passion for IU basketball and my willingness to give 5k for it. IU will have CRAZY amounts of average Joes throwing money at the basketball team. University wont have to do a thing.
It's a brave new world.

Which IU program was a top 10 team last year...football or basketball?

Reactions: indiana ed and DANC

You’re delusional if you don’t think football drives college athletics, and that it will drive NIL, as well. Again, you’ve probably never left your county, so how would a bumpkin like you know. As for “top five” in college basketball, how would someone like you possibly know that? As usual, you’re clueless on this stuff.

Delude yourself all you want. It only makes you and Trojan look even dumber. Since neither of you have experienced IU as an elite program, it’s clear you know nothing about the fan base.

You’re delusional if you don’t think football drives college athletics, and that it will drive NIL, as well. Again, you’ve probably never left your county, so how would a bumpkin like you know. As for “top five” in college basketball, how would someone like you possibly know that? As usual, you’re clueless on this stuff.
Show me the top 5 college basketball Twitter accounts by # of followers.

I could not have laid it out any clearer for you about how the NIL benefits IU over basically every single other school. You are clueless with how the world works today.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Show me the top 5 college basketball Twitter accounts by # of followers.

I could not have laid it out any clearer for you about how the NIL benefits IU over basically every single other school. You are clueless with how the world works today.
You have no basis on which to make such a leap, which is the entire point. You’re jumping way ahead and making outlandish assumptions based on very little superficial data. To not understand how football drives the college athletics bus says everything about your understanding of college sports. Leave your county and we can talk. Maybe.

You have no basis on which to make such a leap, which is the entire point. You’re jumping way ahead and making outlandish assumptions based on very little superficial data. To not understand how football drives the college athletics bus says everything about your understanding of college sports. Leave your county and we can talk. Maybe.
Again, you show your clear lack of understanding of what NIL is. Football revenue drives athletic department budgets. Athletic depart budgets have nothing to do with NIL (that stands for Name, Image, Likeness if you didn’t know). NIL revenue will be driven by fans/donors.

Maybe this will help you out.

Purdue’s two star basketball players:

Jaden Ivey: 7,205 Twitter Followers
Trevion Williams: 5,183 Twitter Followers

IU bench players:

Anthony Leal: 7,793 Twitter Followers
Khristian Lander: 10.4K Twitter Followers

Now I’ll ask you the question: is it more profitable to be a bench player at IU or star player at Purdue?

Revenue always matters.
School revenue doesn’t matter when it comes to NIL.

Wichita State athletic department gets very little revenue comparatively, but I think you will find they will start to land big time players. Charles Koch can buy an entire team if he wanted (and I’m sure he will try to).

Again, you show your clear lack of understanding of what NIL is. Football revenue drives athletic department budgets. Athletic depart budgets have nothing to do with NIL (that stands for Name, Image, Likeness if you didn’t know). NIL revenue will be driven by fans/donors.

Maybe this will help you out.

Purdue’s two star basketball players:

Jaden Ivey: 7,205 Twitter Followers
Trevion Williams: 5,183 Twitter Followers

IU bench players:

Anthony Leal: 7,793 Twitter Followers
Khristian Lander: 10.4K Twitter Followers

Now I’ll ask you the question: is it more profitable to be a bench player at IU or star player at Purdue?
Department revenues equal eyeballs and proven spenders. To say that revenues don’t matter is the height of ignorance.

Wichita State athletic department gets very little revenue comparatively, but I think you will find they will start to land big time players. Charles Koch can buy an entire team if he wanted (and I’m sure he will try to).
IU basketball = LSU football. we have 13 players .... Anthony Leal would make more at IU than all players in Morgantown WVU.

That’s why your nonsensical musings will never come to pass. The NCAA isn’t going to permit the Koch’s of the world to buy teams and, if they did, it would only further marginalize schools like IU (since we don’t have anyone who will perform that function). You’re lost as to how this will work.

What will Landers shoes say?

• Haha
Department revenues equal eyeballs and proven spenders. To say that revenues don’t matter is the height of ignorance.
What does Football revenue have to do with NIL for the basketball team? Duke and Kansas have shitty football revenue. Do you expect them to struggle with NIL? You are clueless.

Reactions: JBT Assoc

Successful businesspeople didn't get successful by investing their money where there wasn't a return on that investment. Sure, some fans will dump money on players to help recruiting/retention, but there's a limit where smart people will put their money.

And then you have the fact that many smart business people, like Mark Cuban, might have a rooting interest in supporting their schools, but don't really believe in doing so just by dumping cash at them to do it.

And the more this becomes about money for individual players, the more fans/alums/donors/supporters will get turned off by it and stay away (medium term).

Those are my thoughts.....the truth is, no one knows yet ow this will play out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT