ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA is a joke and about to get owned.

Frankly, IU is going to be one of the biggest winners in this. The current staff is already pumping it in recruitments. IU will compensate players more than almost any other school in the country. IU UK UNC KU etc. a few huge winners in this. Hell, I’ll pay Tamar to put “Cavanagh was right”on his shoes.
On what basis is IU going to ’compensate’ athletes? What’s the formula?
A five star one-and-done has one question while being recruited:
Kentucky: How much ya gonna pay me?
Indiana: How much ya gonna pay me?
Kansas: How much ya gonna pay me?

They also are gonna be asking how you gonna get me to the nba where I make the real money. We are by far trending the highest from that aspect. IU will be competitive with KU UK for sure.

Reactions: travlinhoosier

Going to be a lot of Curry, Buffa, Malibu type sponsorships. People vastly underestimate the value in a TJD for Carry Curry on a big weekend at his dealership. Lots of return in investment for local businesses. The Farm could sell out the entire outside area blocked off on Kirkwood and charge 100 bucks a table up front. Tons of possibilities that Bloomington businesses will go above and beyond other places like WVU as I mentioned.

There is more than goes into Addidas and other companies models than fanbase size of a specific sport as they are looking for a ROI. There is no ROI when giving money for NIL. IU has a larger basketball fanbase than Kansas. You are delusional if you don’t think this will help IUBB. I know you are just upset because this will hurt your Boilermakers.
You have no proof for the fan base assertion, just like you can’t prove any of the rest of your position on this. I know you aren’t familiar With college athletics, but you’re making assumptions with no real basis at all.

Going to be a lot of Curry, Buffa, Malibu type sponsorships. People vastly underestimate the value in a TJD for Carry Curry on a big weekend at his dealership. Lots of return in investment for local businesses. The Farm could sell out the entire outside area blocked off on Kirkwood and charge 100 bucks a table up front. Tons of possibilities that Bloomington businesses will go above and beyond other places like WVU as I mentioned.
II is in the smallest town in the BiG. What can be done in Bloomington can be done exponentially elsewhere.

II is in the smallest town in the BiG. What can be done in Bloomington can be done exponentially elsewhere.

So you think Maryland and NWU are going to see huge $$$ come to the men’s basketball team because of DC and Chicago? Lol.

You realize Indianapolis is also a 45 minute drive (if they ever finish 69) from btown right?

All about the willingness to spend money on the basketball team, IU will have money thrown at them from everywhere. I am stupid enough to give Tamar 5k. Hell, I want to fly his grandpa to the Bahamas if he isn’t going already. I am a fly in the alumni base pool.

Reactions: TrojanFan004
So you think Maryland and NWU are going to see huge $$$ come to the men’s basketball team because of DC and Chicago? Lol.

You realize Indianapolis is also a 45 minute drive (if they ever finish 69) from btown right?

All about the willingness to spend money on the basketball team, IU will have money thrown at them from everywhere. I am stupid enough to give Tamar 5k. Hell, I want to fly his grandpa to the Bahamas if he isn’t going already. I am a fly in the alumni base pool.
No, I’m saying that you and Trojan are using the IU bake sale approach that will be countered by other schools on a much bigger scale. You used a little car deal in the smallest town in the BiG to make your point. Other schools throughout college sports will have an infinitely bigger market in which their athletes can sell their NIL’s. IU is a small fish in this big ocean.

I am not convinced that yours is a likely model, but if it is Indy could play a significant role in this as well. Indy is an IU town with big $$ heading down 37. Small towns like Champaign surrounded by nothing, West Laffy, College Station etc would struggle if this becomes the model. Ahia has Columbus by the nads, Minny is in Minny, Ann Arbor and east Lansing are minor but have Detroit. Interesting. But IU is in good shape from a market standpoint.

They also are gonna be asking how you gonna get me to the nba where I make the real money. We are by far trending the highest from that aspect. IU will be competitive with KU UK for sure.
Not sure about that. Cal and Self have a pretty good track record of putting people in the league. Better than Woodson’s, although he hasn’t had a chance yet.

Let us bet. UK will have more players drafted in the next 5 years than IU.

I am not convinced that yours is a likely model, but if it is Indy could play a significant role in this as well. Indy is an IU town with big $$ heading down 37. Small towns like Champaign surrounded by nothing, West Laffy, College Station etc would struggle if this becomes the model. Ahia has Columbus by the nads, Minny is in Minny, Ann Arbor and east Lansing are minor but have Detroit. Interesting. But IU is in good shape from a market standpoint.
Champaign is two hours from the third largest city in the country, and less than three from another alumni hub (St. Louis). College Station is a short drive from Houston, the fourth largest city in the country. I sometimes forget how sheltered some IU fans are from the larger world.

No, I’m saying that you and Trojan are using the IU bake sale approach that will be countered by other schools on a much bigger scale. You used a little car deal in the smallest town in the BiG to make your point. Other schools throughout college sports will have an infinitely bigger market in which their athletes can sell their NIL’s. IU is a small fish in this big ocean.

It doesn’t matter if the schools are in Hong Kong, it only matters what the business’s in the general area are willing to pay.

My little car dealer makes bank, and would give players way more than any metropolitan area to basketball players. Bloomington is full of money, and it is very willing to spend it on IU basketball. All you have to do is look to ticket sales.

when we were #1 I sold a 4 pack in C44 for $550 bucks a pop to the UM game. You think ILL is doing that? When IU is good it isn’t close who will spend the most money on basketball in the big ten. It is IU by a mile.

It doesn’t matter if the schools are in Hong Kong, it only matters what the business’s in the general area are willing to pay.

My little car dealer makes bank, and would give players way more than any metropolitan area to basketball players. Bloomington is full of money, and it is very willing to spend it on IU basketball. All you have to do is look to ticket sales.

when we were #1 I sold a 4 pack in C44 for $550 bucks a pop to the UM game. You think ILL is doing that? When IU is good it isn’t close who will spend the most money on basketball in the big ten. It is IU by a mile.
You obviously weren’t alive in 2005 when Illinois went 37-2, losing in the NCAA finals, and if you think Bloomington is full of money, you’ve obviously not seen much of the world. We’re a small fish in a large ocean.

Bloomington is not a big town but Indy is and Indy is an IU town full of IU money. From a marketing standpoint IU is in a very good place.

You obviously weren’t alive in 2005 when Illinois went 37-2, losing in the NCAA finals, and if you think Bloomington is full of money, you’ve obviously not seen much of the world. We’re a small fish in a large ocean.

Ive seen every place I reference, and been to college towns in almost every one of the lower 48. In 2005 ILL wasn’t selling tickets for 500 bucks in the 3rd to last row. I sell tickets for a side hobby and know the big ten markets. IU has the most demand, and it isn’t close.

Bloomington is not a big town but Indy is and Indy is an IU town full of IU money. From a marketing standpoint IU is in a very good place.

Bloomington businesses will spend a lot more money than People think, but yes, Indianapolis also will be more than willing to shell out major cash for IU basketball. Dan dakich has been paid to talk about it in Indy for years. Lake Monroe marina can pay the players to talk about staycations instead of his dumbass.

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Ive seen every place I reference, and been to college towns in almost every one of the lower 48. In 2005 ILL wasn’t selling tickets for 500 bucks in the 3rd to last row. I sell tickets for a side hobby and know the big ten markets. IU has the most demand, and it isn’t close.
and the amazing thing is that IU has been in terrible shape for 21+ years and still are in such demand from both ticket and ratings standpoints.

and the amazing thing is that IU has been in terrible shape for 21+ years and still are in such demand from both ticket and ratings standpoints.
Correct. When IU is even a semblance of getting back to that, we litterally make shirts. This is one of the most diehard fan bases in sports. I hope to god I live to see the day when we are a blue blood again. Being an adult in the 70s/80s must have been insane in Bloomington.

Woodson is gonna do it. Or I burn it down.

Tell us you’re old as dirt and out of touch with the nuances of NIL without telling us. Oh wait, you’ve been doing that all over this thread. A good old fashioned Ordy selfing thread. Classic. You love to see it. 😂🤣

You are so dumb. Football profits have nothing to do with why IU will have a huge advantage. We have far and away the biggest basketball fanbase in the conference, and likely top 5 in the country. Since you can’t seem to understand it, I’ll spell it out for you.

- Tamar Bates goes off for 30 points against Purdue.
- IU’s Twitter account tweets out congratulations and encourages their 1 million followers (more than double the next closest school) to congratulate him too, and they post a link to his Twitter bio.
- His Twitter bio has a link to signed pictures of him for $10/pic.
- 1500 fans buy a pic (That’s only 0.15% of the IU account Twitter followers)
- Tamar Bates makes $15,000

You are thinking the major benefits of this are going to be in commercials and that sort of thing. That’s not what is going to be the case.

This is a huge win for IUBB.
Not sure it’s gonna quite work like this. I see certain programs and players being popular money makers from a much wider base. For example, a couple years ago when Zion Williamson played for Duke he probably could’ve sold in the millions over the course of that season. I can remember 30 years ago seeing young Indiana kids wearing Michigan basketball jerseys because of the Fab Five. They may have been IU fans, but the Fab Five were cool. I bet LA kids and NYC kids were wearing Michigan jerseys, too. If the Fab Five had this ruling back then they wouldn’t have needed to play in the NBA to get rich.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Not sure it’s gonna quite work like this. I see certain programs and players being popular money makers from a much wider base. For example, a couple years ago when Zion Williamson played for Duke he probably could’ve sold in the millions over the course of that season. I can remember 30 years ago seeing young Indiana kids wearing Michigan basketball jerseys because of the Fab Five. They may have been IU fans, but the Fab Five were cool. I bet LA kids and NYC kids were wearing Michigan jerseys, too. If the Fab Five had this ruling back then they wouldn’t have needed to play in the NBA to get rich.
I’d buy an autograph (donate) for a couple hundred dollars each game a player plays well. It doesn’t take very many people doing the same for these kids to get theirs.

Yes, they were. They don’t have our history, but they have more than our financial muscle. And, while Indy is a nice smaller city, it’s still not IU’s home, nor does it compare to most larger metro areas in the BiG. You and a few others need to get out more.

Tell us you’re old as dirt and out of touch with the nuances of NIL without telling us. Oh wait, you’ve been doing that all over this thread. A good old fashioned Ordy selfing thread. Classic. You love to see it. 😂🤣
We already know you don’t belong in a discussion of IU sports. Where are you going to meet me at the Idaho game, or are you still too afraid to tell me? Lol.

Yes, they were. They don’t have our history, but they have more than our financial muscle. And, while Indy is a nice smaller city, it’s still not IU’s home, nor does it compare to most larger metro areas in the BiG. You and a few others need to get out more.

No, they were not, you are making shit up. I literally do this as a way to make money. Illinois ticket sales are putrid in comparison to IU. If IU and ILL are both top 10 this next year, the value of an IU home ticket will be more than double that of the Illini.

No, they were not, you are making shit up. I literally do this as a way to make money. Illinois ticket sales are putrid in comparison to IU. If IU and ILL are both top 10 this next year, the value of an IU home ticket will be more than double that of the Illini.
In 2005, you were probably in middle school. You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about, as usual. When teams are good, fans pay. When they aren’t, they don’t. Since you don’t follow IU closely, you’d be shocked by the 3,000 - 4,000 empty seats these last few years, as well as the disappearance of the waiting list for tickets. “We make shirts” and TJD at a local car dealership only reveals how modest Your expectations are for NIL. You need to get out more.

The ruling is sickening. Comments from rapist Cavannaugh not withstanding.

I guess amateurish is done. Time for schools to start fining players for indiscretion, poor professionalism and not upholding the standards that their pay requires. And then, of course, the lawsuits that come from defamation cases when college "kids" do what college kids do.

Utter b.s.. Might as well start herding the taller kindergarteners and whisking them off to basketball boarding school.

It was an amazing run that college basketball had. Going to be over quickly. How many NCAA championships in a row will be the dominant theme. Everyone goes to about 5 schools, the fan base disappears and college ball gets bailed out by a NBA development league. Next 30 years.

I hope they don't expect anyone to go to an IU football game in the future. Might as well play the Green Bay Packers.

Last edited:
In 2005, you were probably in middle school. You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about, as usual. When teams are good, fans pay. When they aren’t, they don’t. Since you don’t follow IU closely, you’d be shocked by the 3,000 - 4,000 empty seats these last few years, as well as the disappearance of the waiting list for tickets. “We make shirts” and TJD at a local car dealership only reveals how modest Your expectations are for NIL. You need to get out more.

2005 was a great year to be alive. I was drinking on average a 5th a day. I’ve done so much more on my time on this earth than you, it is scary. You are at minimum double my age. Now I will allow you to have the last word, I will no longer be engaging with you tonight ;).

Reactions: Birnk403
2005 was a great year to be alive. I was drinking on average a 5th a day. I’ve done so much more on my time on this earth than you, it is scary. You are at minimum double my age. Now I will allow you to have the last word, I will no longer be engaging with you tonight ;).
Fascinating. I would have pegged you for 23 years old, 25 tops.

30 years in the sports media business. The originator of this thread is mostly correct. Indiana has one of the largest "basketball" fan followings in the nation. I've been involved with ad buys targeting sport specific college fans and the IUBB base is massive. It's simply because it's the flagship university of a basketball crazy state that has been good for decades. Indiana's combined basketball Twitter/Instagram is around the same size as Kentucky.

There's a good podcast on Hoosier Hysterics with the CEO of OpenDorse. NIL is a complicated subject with laws still be written. But in nutshell TJD has one of the largest combined Twitter/Instagram followings in the Big Ten. And IU basketball has been terrible the past few years. OpenDorse guy says TJDs social media revenue is worth 140k per year. Then there will be additional money for autographs, personal appearances etc. He also predicted that NIL revenue will be as well known as the IU player basketball stats.

In this state most of the NIL spending will be done on basketball players. There's an NCAA meeting this week that will hopefully clarify the NIL rules. But, yes, if this all happens Indiana basketball players will be the kings of NIL revenue for basketball players. Let's hope the coaching staff can take advantage of this new world in college sports.

Frankly, IU is going to be one of the biggest winners in this. The current staff is already pumping it in recruitments. IU will compensate players more than almost any other school in the country. IU UK UNC KU etc. a few huge winners in this. Hell, I’ll pay Tamar to put “Cavanagh was right”on his shoes.
Your bias is astounding. When has IU ever paid up? We’re always one of the cheapest schools in the conference. If it comes to bidding wars we’re going to be at the bottom of the pack with Northwestern and Purdue. And don’t even get me started on what the SEC schools will pay. Your bias is laughable.

Your bias is astounding. When has IU ever paid up? We’re always one of the cheapest schools in the conference. If it comes to bidding wars we’re going to be at the bottom of the pack with Northwestern and Purdue. And don’t even get me started on what the SEC schools will pay. Your bias is laughable.

The University has nothing to do with what the Alum and business owners will pay. That is where NIL is going to come into play. TJD can do commercials etc.

IU basketball fans will pay more toward NIL than anyone but UK and maybe UNC.

I don't think you or others have any idea what this means, it isn't the Athletic department getting free reign on spending. It allows the athletes to profit off themselves. Meaning, allowing me to pay Tamar to put" Cavanagh is the smartest man on rivals" on his shoe.

Not sure about that. Cal and Self have a pretty good track record of putting people in the league. Better than Woodson’s, although he hasn’t had a chance yet.

Let us bet. UK will have more players drafted in the next 5 years than IU.
You could look at it this way. Woodson has coached more pros than 5 big time school coaches have together.

Reactions: F.Fletch
I have not read the posts in this thread. Will try this afternoon.
My first opinion of the ruling is that shows the incompetence/dishonesty/ineffectiveness (not sure of the best word) of the ncaa. Unanimous? How many decisions of theirs are unanimous?
The ncaa policing of lawbreakers is a blight to honesty.
This may be a case where rather than removing a few problem administrators, the whole group must go.

Miller buyout and coaching committee say Hi!

Where are those links to the claims you made about me Ace? Puppet?

Preposterous not to think the Indiana basketball program and subsequent players and prospective recruits won't benefit from the recent NIL recommendations from the Supreme Court. Indiana has one of the largest (and big $$) basketball fan bases in the country as is evident by it's generated revenue. Only reason why Ordy is once again trying to downplay Indiana University.

Love it. Schools like iu will continue to recruit and get players like TJD who are more concerned about their stats and making $ from their NIL than they are winning. Meanwhile Purdue will continue to recruit players who want to win. Its been nearly 2,000 days since Purdue lost to iu. iu fans will line the pockets of their players with cash while Purdue just keeps racking up wins.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT