ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA is a joke and about to get owned.

That’s why your nonsensical musings will never come to pass. The NCAA isn’t going to permit the Koch’s of the world to buy teams and, if they did, it would only further marginalize schools like IU (since we don’t have anyone who will perform that function). You’re lost as to how this will work.
The NCAA isn’t going to have a choice. Players are free to earn their market value. Their market value is whatever someone is willing to pay them. 99.9% of schools don’t have a Charles Koch.

IU will have a huge advantage over the rest of the Big Ten due to the size of the fanbase.

What does Football revenue have to do with NIL for the basketball team? Duke and Kansas have shitty football revenue. Do you expect them to struggle with NIL? You are clueless.
We aren’t Duke or Kansas. We aren’t close.

The NCAA isn’t going to have a choice. Players are free to earn their market value. Their market value is whatever someone is willing to pay them. 99.9% of schools don’t have a Charles Koch.

IU will have a huge advantage over the rest of the Big Ten due to the size of the fanbase.
The size of the fan base can’t overcome the product. You have no clue how this will work. And the ncaa will absolutely ring fence this. If they don’t, IU will fall even farther behind.

Successful businesspeople didn't get successful by investing their money where there wasn't a return on that investment. Sure, some fans will dump money on players to help recruiting/retention, but there's a limit where smart people will put their money.

And then you have the fact that many smart business people, like Mark Cuban, might have a rooting interest in supporting their schools, but don't really believe in doing so just by dumping cash at them to do it.

And the more this becomes about money for individual players, the more fans/alums/donors/supporters will get turned off by it and stay away (medium term).

Those are my thoughts.....the truth is, no one knows yet ow this will play out.
You should look into the Koch brothers spending at WSU. Greg Marshall was always a top 20 paid coach and they paid 100% of his salary. They offered Thad Matta top 10 pay after Marshall was fired.

Mark Cuban isn’t going to dump money into IU basketball. People like Charles Koch and Phil Knight at Oregon will.

We aren’t Duke or Kansas. We aren’t close.
As far as size of fan base, we are actually bigger than Kansas. Duke is far and away the biggest college basketball brand right now.

They are the only team ahead of IU in Twitter followers at 2.6 million.

As far as size of fan base, we are actually bigger than Kansas. Duke is far and away the biggest college basketball brand right now.

They are the only team ahead of IU in Twitter followers at 2.6 million.
Who gets a better deal from Adidas, IU or KU? Ask yourself why. We aren’t close to Kansas.

It may help Indiana Basketball, but it will not help Indiana University sports in total, relative to several other school's programs.

So if you are an IU basketball fan who doesn't give a crap about any other IU sports team, then I guess you can feel great about this.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
It may help Indiana Basketball, but it will not help Indiana University sports in total, relative to several other school's programs.

So if you are an IU basketball fan who doesn't give a crap about any other IU sports team, then I guess you can feel great about this.
It should have little effect on non revenue sports. It may hurt football a bit potentially, but the other sports aren’t going to be impacted much.

Don't we get 100,000 in our football stadium at premium prices, 8 times every fall? Oh, wait.

Some people have no idea what a cash cow FB is at the schools where alums are diehard supporters. I wish IU could be that way, but we have LONG LONG way to go.
I think the question is...can the cash come from boosters and can it be paid directly or only funneled through the AD. Once the rules are finalized then we can figure out who will be doing what under the table.

IU has one of the largest and most affluent alumni bases on the planet so the cash is there, so there is that.

The payments will have to be connected to the athlete's "education" so perhaps a KY Freshman who's major is "undecided" can get a $500K grant to help him research his potential majors.

What could go wrong?

I think the question is...can the cash come from boosters and can it be paid directly or only funneled through the AD. Once the rules are finalized then we can figure out who will be doing what under the table.

IU has one of the largest and most affluent alumni bases on the planet so the cash is there, so there is that.

The payments will have to be connected to the athlete's "education" so perhaps a KY Freshman who's major is "undecided" can get a $500K grant to help him research his potential majors.

What could go wrong?
Most affluent? Link?

Even revenue doesn’t matter when it comes to NIL.
It all gets homoginized. If I get cash from X for Y I can use frred up $$ for Z. General budgets can be manipulated. IU MBB has high level and high brow exposure and support which drives $$$. IU Football has modest exposure and support but it all ends up in the general budget. Cash from VC and targeted donors is the icing on the cake.

KU is top 10 for all schools revenue wise and the only basketball school in that strata. IU is fourth or fifth in the BiG. There’s roughly a $3.5M annual difference between us and them.
KU is top 10 for all schools revenue wise and the only basketball school in that strata. IU is fourth or fifth in the BiG. There’s roughly a $3.5M annual difference between us and them.
We have already established that athletic revenue has nothing to do with NIL.

Even though it has nothing to do with NIL, your numbers above are incorrect. We are higher ranked in revenue than Kansas.

It all gets homoginized. If I get cash from X for Y I can use frred up $$ for Z. General budgets can be manipulated. IU MBB has high level and high brow exposure and support which drives $$$. IU Football has modest exposure and support but it all ends up in the general budget. Cash from VC and targeted donors is the icing on the cake.
Yes, but no school is paying athletes NIL money, so NIL money is not a factor of an athletic budget. NIL money is paid exclusively by those outside of the school (ie. Boosters and Fans). These are direct payments and do not flow through the school in any way.

It should have little effect on non revenue sports. It may hurt football a bit potentially, but the other sports aren’t going to be impacted much.
If Lily King or Kyle Schwarber can land a deal with a car dealer or gat a stipend...those would be the outliers i would think. I want to see the bidding wars over a QB between Bama and Clemson

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Yes, but no school is paying athletes NIL money, so NIL money is not a factor of an athletic budget. NIL money is paid exclusively by those outside of the school (ie. Boosters and Fans). These are direct payments and do not flow through the school in any way.
I am not sure all the rules are in ink at this point so hard to tell where the program ends and the cheatng begins. I suspect this will be fluid for some time.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
The argument is that it goes directly from the booster to the athlete via Venmo, PayPal, or what have you, with no involvement at all by IU. It sounds like the wild wild west, but I guess that's where we are headed.
So if I get a call that says...hey...instead of sending us $10K would you send that to Harry Homeruns via Zelle...again homogenized.

If Lily King or Kyle Schwarber can land a deal with a car dealer or gat a stipend...those would be the outliers i would think. I want to see the bidding wars over a QB between Bama and Clemson
Schwarber wouldn’t have gotten those deals when he was in college. Lily King is in a unique situation in that she is an Olympian on a popular Olympic sport.

Top QBs are going to be getting crazy money. Texas may be revitalized with these new rules.

I am not sure all the rules are in ink at this point so hard to tell where the program ends and the cheatng begins. I suspect this will be fluid for some time.
They pretty much have to adopt the rules that states are passing. California has already adopted policies allowing student athletes to make money off NIL with no restrictions.

They pretty much have to adopt the rules that states are passing. California has already adopted policies allowing student athletes to make money off NIL with no restrictions.
I assure you that if Michigan changes then all the BIG states will follow suit. If AL changes then all the SEC states will follow suit. This will be a massive cluster **** IMHO.

Reactions: TrojanFan004
If you knew what it was, why were you bringing up football revenues? We have one of the biggest basketball fan bases in the country, and deep pocketed donors who will be primarily focused on making basketball better while other schools’ donors will have to split between both.

You trying to say we are a relatively small fanbase in basketball is probably your worst take of all time. Go checkout the follower count for each Big Ten team’s Twitter accounts.

IUBB - 1 MILLION
MSU - 444k
Michigan - 303k
Wisconsin - 299k
Illinois - 137k
OSU - 127k
Purdue - 120k

The rest aren’t even worth mentioning. IUBB is extremely popular and that will be a huge advantage for NIL.
I don't believe he said in basketball. I thought he said "in college sports". That changes things dramatically.

You should look into the Koch brothers spending at WSU. Greg Marshall was always a top 20 paid coach and they paid 100% of his salary. They offered Thad Matta top 10 pay after Marshall was fired.

Mark Cuban isn’t going to dump money into IU basketball. People like Charles Koch and Phil Knight at Oregon will.
That's one outlier example...and not even necessarily a great one bc covering that salary was done via a donation to the university, which makes it a tax deduction for Koch.

We have already established that athletic revenue has nothing to do with NIL.

Even though it has nothing to do with NIL, your numbers above are incorrect. We are higher ranked in revenue than Kansas.

We’ve established no such thing, because it’s ridiculous on its face. Why do you think an international apparel company values KU so much higher than they do IU? What data do you have that they do not?

We’ve established no such thing, because it’s ridiculous on its face. Why do you think an international apparel company values KU so much higher than they do IU? What data do you have that they do not?
Well IU’s deal hasn’t been redone since 2015 and Kansas just had theirs redone in 2019. Regardless, I stated IU was top 5 in the country as far as fanbase size for their BASKETBALL team. That’s a fact. Basketball is the only sport we are discussing. The NIL will likely hurt us in football, but it will be huge in basketball.

The best part about it is it will kill schools like Purdue who have small fan bases and care about Football and Basketball equally. It will be GREAT to see.

Schwarber wouldn’t have gotten those deals when he was in college. Lily King is in a unique situation in that she is an Olympian on a popular Olympic sport.

Top QBs are going to be getting crazy money. Texas may be revitalized with these new rules.
Who’s to say he wouldn’t have gotten that kind of deal? And why wouldn’t an alum or booster take a part of his annual giving and reallocate it to a group of players, rather than the athletic department? And that reallocation will likely include something for the parents, too. That’s one of several reasons why IU won’t dominate in this new frontier. They’re much more likely to be overrun.

Well IU’s deal hasn’t been redone since 2015 and Kansas just had theirs redone in 2019. Regardless, I stated IU was top 5 in the country as far as fanbase size for their BASKETBALL team. That’s a fact. Basketball is the only sport we are discussing. The NIL will likely hurt us in football, but it will be huge in basketball.

The best part about it is it will kill schools like Purdue who have small fan bases and care about Football and Basketball equally. It will be GREAT to see.
Again, using Twitter as the method of tallying fan base size is simplistic, at best. Actual data used by multi billion dollar corporations refutes your position.

I'm not saying you're completely wrong about some of your intuitions....but you've come up with some pretty concrete outcomes for something that is all just theory right now and that people who are much smarter about this than you or I have also said 'we don't really know for sure' how this is going to impact things.

Again, using Twitter as the method of tallying fan base size is simplistic, at best. Actual data used by multi billion dollar corporations refutes your position.
There is more than goes into Addidas and other companies models than fanbase size of a specific sport as they are looking for a ROI. There is no ROI when giving money for NIL. IU has a larger basketball fanbase than Kansas. You are delusional if you don’t think this will help IUBB. I know you are just upset because this will hurt your Boilermakers.

• Haha
I'm not saying you're completely wrong about some of your intuitions....but you've come up with some pretty concrete outcomes for something that is all just theory right now and that people who are much smarter about this than you or I have also said 'we don't really know for sure' how this is going to impact things.
It isn’t just a theory. Many states across the country have already passed legislation allowing NCAA students to make money off their NIL. Most of those states passed the legislation with no restrictions on how much an athlete can earn.

Kansas has a larger bandwagon fanbase at the moment, as do Duke and UNC. It will be interesting to see if the larger 2 schools are able to maintain that. UNC is probably still in ok shape either way with a larger alumni base...that is something IU has as well. If Woodson pans out, the support and money will be there.

Indiana football could even improve by being smart with the NIL promotion.

It isn’t just a theory. Many states across the country have already passed legislation allowing NCAA students to make money off their NIL. Most of those states passed the legislation with no restrictions on how much an athlete can earn.
I understand that....but it hasn't actually happened yet. Athletes aren't getting $ for their NIL yet. So to concretely say how certain schools will be impacted or how the private sector is going to react or spend their money or which schools and why will be most impacted is all just theory.

Reactions: UncleMark
If I am a car dealer, can I advertise a car with a KY blue paint job, slap a number of a player, maybe a small caricature too, on the hood, and funnel a chunk of the proceeds to the guy wearing that number? That does seem like the wild wild west.

It does seem to open the door to cheating, and IU seems to not be very good/experienced at cheating.

Kansas has a larger bandwagon fanbase at the moment, as do Duke and UNC. It will be interesting to see if the larger 2 schools are able to maintain that. UNC is probably still in ok shape either way with a larger alumni base...that is something IU has as well. If Woodson pans out, the support and money will be there.

Indiana football could even improve by being smart with the NIL promotion.

I think Duke will fall off, and fast. Duke was a catchy brand to like, the perfect front runner support team. That will shift to Gonzaga, very fast. Front runners only support winners.

IU has sucked donkey balls for 20 years, and still has an insane following. One of the only schools that 15-20 years ago had bars in almost every state in america. If IU is a top 25 team going forward, watch out.

Last edited:
Again, you show your clear lack of understanding of what NIL is. Football revenue drives athletic department budgets. Athletic depart budgets have nothing to do with NIL (that stands for Name, Image, Likeness if you didn’t know). NIL revenue will be driven by fans/donors.

Maybe this will help you out.

Purdue’s two star basketball players:

Jaden Ivey: 7,205 Twitter Followers
Trevion Williams: 5,183 Twitter Followers

IU bench players:

Anthony Leal: 7,793 Twitter Followers
Khristian Lander: 10.4K Twitter Followers

Now I’ll ask you the question: is it more profitable to be a bench player at IU or star player at Purdue?
How much will they be paid?

If I am a car dealer, can I advertise a car with a KY blue paint job, slap a number of a player, maybe a small caricature too, on the hood, and funnel a chunk of the proceeds to the guy wearing that number? That does seem like the wild wild west.

It does seem to open the door to cheating, and IU seems to not be very good/experienced at cheating.

I have 0 worries the with the current staff, president and AD we will have any problems with cheating going forward. Self reporting cheating that is. We are a big league program now, and it has been shown with the hires we have made in the last 3 months.

Reactions: Lucy01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT