ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA gives green light to a 20-21 Hoops Season.

Game on! Now we can stop talking politics and hypotheticals (would IU have made the tourney last year??) and get to the real deal. Past six months have sucked.

I am assuming games will be played in very empty arenas....that will be weird. But beggars can't be choosers.

Game on! Now we can stop talking politics and hypotheticals (would IU have made the tourney last year??) and get to the real deal. Past six months have sucked.

I am assuming games will be played in very empty arenas....that will be weird. But beggars can't be choosers.
Would assume the Big Ten will decide whether conference teams play, just as they have with football.

Would assume the Big Ten will decide whether conference teams play, just as they have with football.
yeah will be interesting to see if teams travel to opponent's gym, or if B1G sets up a 'bubble' like the NBA. This is the first I've heard so I have no clue how they'll manage it. It will surely be different from what we are used to.

yeah will be interesting to see if teams travel to opponent's gym, or if B1G sets up a 'bubble' like the NBA. This is the first I've heard so I have no clue how they'll manage it. It will surely be different from what we are used to.
Hopefully games occur in on campus arenas, with students as the attendees.

Hopefully games occur in on campus arenas, with students as the attendees.
I hope so. I can't watch these pro baseball games with cardboard faces in the stands and piped in crowd noise. Worse than spring training. Watching IU vs Purdue play in an empty arena with phony crowd noise would be very weird.

Would they still pipe in "IU Sucks" if they played at Mackey?

I hope so. I can't watch these pro baseball games with cardboard faces in the stands and piped in crowd noise. Worse than spring training. Watching IU vs Purdue play in an empty arena with phony crowd noise would be very weird.

Can understand the need to keep many fans away, however, would think student attendance should be permitted. Given recent history, that may not be such a good thing for IU.

Watching the NFL this past weekend (as usual, I haven't watched much baseball), the phony noise is just so tacky.

I get why they do it. Crowd noise is part of the broadcast product, and it would feel hollow without it. We expect to hear the crowd roar with approval when the home team gets a first down.

But you'd think, in 2020, they could come up with something a bit more lifelike. There were a few times during the Colts/Jags game where a rise in cheering could be heard well after the play....making me think something was happening off camera, before I remembered it was all concocted.

Maybe they should call up EA Sports or 2K or one of those companies to help them do something more realistic.

For my part, the 'realism' on the Court will more than suffice. IME, once the ball is tipped, won't/shouldn't matter whether there's anyone in the stands.

Just read where 33 of the 40 Greek houses at IU are in quarantine with three testing above 75% positive for Covid.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/2020/09/16/big-ten-footballs-return-during-coronavirus-sensible-and-stupid
yeah the Greek system at IU is in bad shape right now. Same goes for UI in Champaign. I think they can still manage having games...but in front of live crowds, the trends don't look good right now on campus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT