ADVERTISEMENT

NBA

bdhman

Senior
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2002
I don’t watch many NBA games, but am so starved for sports I’ve watched some of the playoffs. What really stands out are: 1) number of bad shots, 2) poor rebounding, and 3) how few players are really committed to play defense. Really hard to see the game played this way. I must be getting old.

I don’t watch many NBA games, but am so starved for sports I’ve watched some of the playoffs. What really stands out are: 1) number of bad shots, 2) poor rebounding, and 3) how few players are really committed to play defense. Really hard to see the game played this way. I must be getting old.
Not disagreeing in general, but I watched the Celtics/Raptors series and it was tremendous. The Raptors, IMO greatly outmanned talent-wise, put up a great fight. Talk about mental toughness! Anyway, the season has been so screwed up due to the virus and how the players have had to be isolated it’s not surprising at all that the overall quality of play has not been very good.

The mentality is to keep the game close via offense then try to win in the last 2 minutes. There don't seem to be a lot of guys who want to keep a team from scoring. Nor are there many players who ever use discretion in putting up a long three. Coaches use to demand that good shooters take shots. Now anyone does or else their feelings get hurt and they hold out their contract. Complete garbage most of the time.

It's called "hero ball."

The mentality is to keep the game close via offense then try to win in the last 2 minutes. There don't seem to be a lot of guys who want to keep a team from scoring. Nor are there many players who ever use discretion in putting up a long three. Coaches use to demand that good shooters take shots. Now anyone does or else their feelings get hurt and they hold out their contract. Complete garbage most of the time.
Though not an NBA fan, I gotta say your post is pure BS as are most of the post so far. Example: Celtics held the Raptors to 87 in a 48 minute game. If done by per possession, around .92, that equals a good defense in an NCAA game. If you don't see the defense, you probably don't know what defense looks like.

This whole thread is dumb as fuq. There are issues with the NBA game. ie lane too wide which eliminates the post up, rules on bumps and hand checks that give too much advantage to the offense but the stuff you guys are listing is pure subjective biased opinion and mostly based on ignorance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockport Zebra
I've never been a big NBA guy until the playoffs. This year I have watched very little. It has nothing to do with playing in the bubble although I do miss the atmosphere of a home crowd. It has nothing to do with the political atmosphere either. I just simply can't wrap my head around August/September basketball.

Though not an NBA fan, I gotta say your post is pure BS as are most of the post so far. Example: Celtics held the Raptors to 87 in a 48 minute game. If done by per possession, around .92, that equals a good defense in an NCAA game. If you don't see the defense, you probably don't know what defense looks like.

This whole thread is dumb as fuq. There are issues with the NBA game. ie lane too wide which eliminates the post up, rules on bumps and hand checks that give too much advantage to the offense but the stuff you guys are listing is pure subjective biased opinion and mostly based on ignorance.

Thanks for the civility and straightening me out. Much appreciated.

I've never been a big NBA guy until the playoffs. This year I have watched very little. It has nothing to do with playing in the bubble although I do miss the atmosphere of a home crowd. It has nothing to do with the political atmosphere either. I just simply can't wrap my head around August/September basketball.
I've only really watched the Pacers as far as following a team and sitting through an entire game. I haven't seen a game since they were bounced. I might watch the Celtics if they get into the finals because my Dad is still a huge Celtics fan because of Larry Legend.

I've only really watched the Pacers as far as following a team and sitting through an entire game. I haven't seen a game since they were bounced. I might watch the Celtics if they get into the finals because my Dad is still a huge Celtics fan because of Larry Legend.
Cool story, bro

Reactions: SIhoosier26
The bubble has been pretty good. Houston lakers was a let down, but Russ is a cancer. I’ve thought that for a long time. I hate to say it too, because his effort is something I love in a player. He just is out of control half the time and can’t shoot. Should have played football. Would have been an awesome CB.

lakers clips and Boston Miami will be fun to watch. Miami I think is gonna upset Boston. Jimmy is one of my favorite players. The OG dog of the NBA. Hero is pretty fun to watch as well, and bam for that matter.

next rounds games should be awesome.

I don't know, but it sounds like you had a predisposition before watching. I'm not a big NBA fan, but have been watching because I miss bball and I've actually been impressed with the effort and play overall. I think the defense has been surprisingly good, which might account for the # of bad shots... good defense and a 24 second shot clock are going to lead to some bad shots, but it's also impressive watching them move the ball to get a good look from 3 (which is the game now) and how many shots they make. I think the overall level of play is much higher across the board than it was in the NBA 10+ years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
The quality of ball in the NBA is as good as it's ever been, people that complain about it are likely old "back in my day" traditionalists. There's an "old man yells at cloud" Simpson's gif that comes to mind.

The athletes are amazing and it's a beautiful brand of basketball, a joy to watch.

Reactions: kkott
I enjoy watching the NBA, especially the playoffs. I think the defense has been intense. Tremendous athletes. I still find it amazing what Lebron can do athletically at his age that a lot of younger guys can’t do on their best day. And I really enjoy watching former Hoosiers play in the NBA. There are aspects I’m not wild about. But it helps quench my thirst for basketball until college hoops hopefully start.

As it's played these days, I have a serious issue with all the traveling that's rarely called - no excuse for allowing athletes of that caliber an extra step (and sometimes even two) and has the added liability of shifting the game from team-oriented play and ball movement to a lot more individual heroics. Less bothered by the liberal tolerance for palming or carrying the ball, and would like to see the post game less physical in terms of guys bodying up, initiating contact and banging their way through defenders.

NCAA game is certainly much more in line with the rules as written and for my part more fun to watch given the greater reliance on execution and finesse as opposed to brute strength. Mostly though it's the all the traveling - still like to watch but often ot just nearly ruins it for me to see something so fundamental to the game consistently ignored.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
As it's played these days, I have a serious issue with all the traveling that's rarely called - no excuse for allowing athletes of that caliber an extra step (and sometimes even two) and has the added liability of shifting the game from team-oriented play and ball movement to a lot more individual heroics. Less bothered by the liberal tolerance for palming or carrying the ball, and would like to see the post game less physical in terms of guys bodying up, initiating contact and banging their way through defenders.

NCAA game is certainly much more in line with the rules as written and for my part more fun to watch given the greater reliance on execution and finesse as opposed to brute strength. Mostly though it's the all the traveling - still like to watch but often ot just nearly ruins it for me to see something so fundamental to the game consistently ignored.

Again, I think you're using generalizations and preconceived notions... the passing of the teams in the playoffs, is generally very good and I don't see a ton of 1 or 1 or pound it down in the post, at least from these playoff teams. Watching them move the ball to find an open 3 is really fun to watch, imo. The modern game looks very different to me than the NBA from 10+ years ago.

Again, I think you're using generalizations and preconceived notions... the passing of the teams in the playoffs, is generally very good and I don't see a ton of 1 or 1 or pound it down in the post, at least from these playoff teams. Watching them move the ball to find an open 3 is really fun to watch, imo. The modern game looks very different to me than the NBA from 10+ years ago.

Again? WTF. My comments are re: the NBA, NOT the playoffs per se, but nice you enjoy watching guys travel. If you're so dedicated to taking issue with what others post try doing so with what is written rather than what you imagine.

Again? WTF. My comments are re: the NBA, NOT the playoffs per se, but nice you enjoy watching guys travel. If you're so dedicated to taking issue with what others post try doing so with what is written rather than what you imagine.

Most traveling happens in the nba while the player is gathering the ball going into the scoring motion. The player will gain an extra step, because in real time the gather and first step are nearly impossible to decipher which happened first.

The players have used the rules to their benifet just like all athletes in all sports do as it evolves. In reality, it has made the game better because of the play making that is able to happen directly because of it. The step back three, the in the lane dunks/spectacular plays.

Things can evolve and change.

Most traveling happens in the nba while the player is gathering the ball going into the scoring motion. The player will gain an extra step, because in real time the gather and first step are nearly impossible to decipher which happened first.

The players have used the rules to their benifet just like all athletes in all sports do as it evolves. In reality, it has made the game better because of the play making that is able to happen directly because of it. The step back three, the in the lane dunks/spectacular plays. Things can evolve and change.

Just because as you put it, 'evolution', occurs, doesn't guarantee it's a good thing, e.g., and routinely as in your case, asserting the subjective as gospel.

Trust that if ever I require a narcissist to explain/define reality, I'll already be gone.

Just because as you put it, 'evolution', occurs, doesn't guarantee it's a good thing, e.g., and routinely as in your case, asserting the subjective as gospel.

Trust that if ever I require a narcissist to explain/define reality, I'll already be gone.

Lucky for you, you aren’t gone yet. You get the pleasure of watching the the world pass you by.

My only downside with the NCAA and traveling is that it's incredibly inconsistent. (especially for the road team) How often do teams like MSU get away with traveling when they're at home?

I've seen home teams (especially in the BIG10) get away with traveling one possession after another. It's either that college refs are unclear about how to enforce the rule or they're opinions are swayed by the fans. I'm guessing the latter.

QED. Once again, pretending to know when you haven't the least idea. Very orange.

So I don’t have the slightest idea why the game has more “traveling” violations than it did in the 90s or what ever era you consider the golden age of NBA basketball. I guess you missed the examples and illustration of how it makes the game better. It was only my entire post, I can see how you missed it. Very orange of you, sir retard.

eFG% in the NBA is as high as it's ever been and TO% is lower in the last few years is lower than it's ever been. That doesn't suggest that there is a lot of good defense. All they do is shoot 3s all day and no one guards it. Celtics held the Heat to 117. See how one game comparisons work?

eFG% in the NBA is as high as it's ever been and TO% is lower in the last few years is lower than it's ever been. That doesn't suggest that there is a lot of good defense. All they do is shoot 3s all day and no one guards it. Celtics held the Heat to 117. See how one game comparisons work?
The rules discourage good defense. Defensive 3 seconds is awful.

Yea, the rules now favor offense. It's one reason I don't enjoy NBA as much as NCAA. No hand checking, no excessive bumps. Also, the width of the post area and the new offenses based on spacing defenses, make the game very different (open) in the post area. The wider lane combined with the spacing doesn't allow for effective post up and the offenses makes the defense cover a much greater area. The days of plodding centers camping in the lane on offense and defense are gone, now that guy has to be mobile enough to cover on the perimeter also., while in NCAA post play is still used and can be effective..

The defense being played is relative to those conditions. you just don't see it because you don't want to. So your post is still hogwash .. It's the old RMK created belief that some of the older posters still live by where NBA ball is somehow lesser. It may be lesser to some as an entertainment medium, I certainly prefer NCAA as it's more traditional but as far as the basketball actually being played in the league, naw.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT