ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Coach + IU Visibility + NIL = Talent Pool

Indiana_1993

Redshirt
Nov 23, 2015
I think what we’re seeing on the recruiting front is access to a pool of kids who are motivated by different personal goals, some of which we either couldn’t offer, or didn’t offer, in the past. We always focus on the visibility of IU, how the school is a basketball school, the training facilities, the academics, and the previous success stories of championships and players who made it to the next level. However, schools like Memphis were able to compete with a simple change at the coach position.

Now, IU’s popularity and top 10 brand brings personal image value that is hard to beat. Add that to the previous arguments, and an NBA coaching staff, and we have a new level of interested players. The future looks bright!

Time will tell but I think Woodson may be the key here.
Plays and teaches an nba style which is fun for the players.
Has nba credability; most high school recruits goal.
A potential weakness for us is NiL. Will we give the car, buy the jerseys, etc that some recruits will want?
I am anxious to see the season.

Reactions: birdforbogey
If IU is good we have created the perfect storm. This administration has done a fabulous job.

Only thing left is NIL, I am very confident if we are a top 10-15 team money will pour in from around the state. Most business want to see a ROI (Cavanagh's corner prints money and isn't worried about it), there will be one if we are good.

I think what we’re seeing on the recruiting front is access to a pool of kids who are motivated by different personal goals, some of which we either couldn’t offer, or didn’t offer, in the past. We always focus on the visibility of IU, how the school is a basketball school, the training facilities, the academics, and the previous success stories of championships and players who made it to the next level. However, schools like Memphis were able to compete with a simple change at the coach position.

Now, IU’s popularity and top 10 brand brings personal image value that is hard to beat. Add that to the previous arguments, and an NBA coaching staff, and we have a new level of interested players. The future looks bright!
I don't doubt that the factors you mention could or will be factors, and are being pushed by our staff, but correct me if I'm wrong: Kaleb Banks is our lone commitment since the new NIL rules became effective right? I mean, even if you grant us Schifano and Clowney, that to me only gives us the type of class IU should have regularly, or any top 4 B10 team would have. I don't follow rankings that closely, but wouldn't that be something like 30, 55, 85 and 130ish? That's a good class, but you're only keeping up with the Joneses for perenial top 25 teams at the top of their power 5 conference. It's still not sniffing UK or Duke's traditional class and would probably put us maybe top 10? Certainly more knowledgeable recruitniks on here, but that's my intuition. I'm more excited about the roster management aspect and that they seem to be targeting kids who fit their vision.

Meanwhile Alabama & Ohio State are making millionaires out of players that haven’t even played a game yet. Yes, IU is way out in front on this one. Lol

Reactions: GGary and Fpeaugh2
Time will tell but I think Woodson may be the key here.
Plays and teaches an nba style which is fun for the players.
Has nba credability; most high school recruits goal.
A potential weakness for us is NiL. Will we give the car, buy the jerseys, etc that some recruits will want?
I am anxious to see the season.
World-class business school full of young would-be entrepreneurs (not to mention the established business-types that can facilitate this for the likes of TJD, Tamar Bates, etc.)...in fact...I kind of feel like IU's athletic department is in front of this a bit...just a humble and mildly-informed opinion.

I don't doubt that the factors you mention could or will be factors, and are being pushed by our staff, but correct me if I'm wrong: Kaleb Banks is our lone commitment since the new NIL rules became effective right? I mean, even if you grant us Schifano and Clowney, that to me only gives us the type of class IU should have regularly, or any top 4 B10 team would have. I don't follow rankings that closely, but wouldn't that be something like 30, 55, 85 and 130ish? That's a good class, but you're only keeping up with the Joneses for perenial top 25 teams at the top of their power 5 conference. It's still not sniffing UK or Duke's traditional class and would probably put us maybe top 10? Certainly more knowledgeable recruitniks on here, but that's my intuition. I'm more excited about the roster management aspect and that they seem to be targeting kids who fit their vision.
And then there is fact that always survives a good argument. Good post. I agree 100%.

with the new transfer rules, how long before the ratings of your 'incoming class' includes the transfers? Seems like that is the final say in how the team improves year-to-year. I'm trying to get out of the 1992 mentality....ain't easy. Get off my lawn.

If a kid makes his/her choice on the basis of who offered the most swag and/or extravagant high-end luxury ride, quite content if they play somewhere/anywhere other than at IU. Really.

Last edited:
Reactions: travlinhoosier
World-class business school full of young would-be entrepreneurs (not to mention the established business-types that can facilitate this for the likes of TJD, Tamar Bates, etc.)...in fact...I kind of feel like IU's athletic department is in front of this a bit...just a humble and mildly-informed opinion.
That would surprise me, but what a great idea. Offer some type of free education advice from a guy who has already made 100 M.

If a kid makes his/her choice on the basis of who offered the the most swag and/or extravagant high-end luxury ride, quite content if they play somewhere/anywhere other than at IU. Really.
It would be ignorant to think that wouldn't be a factor for just about any kid. You can hold on to the dried out shell of "for the love of the ol' alma mater" ideology but just about any kid would rather profit from their efforts, especially with how demanding their schedule is. I know if I could make some extra $$ at one school and not at another, it would certainly be a factor. Not the only one, but one for sure. And, guess what? With the size and interest level of our fanbase, this should be a big positive for IU.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
It would be ignorant to think that wouldn't be a factor for just about any kid. You can hold on to the dried out shell of "for the love of the ol' alma mater" ideology but just about any kid would rather profit from their efforts, especially with how demanding their schedule is. I know if I could make some extra $$ at one school and not at another, it would certainly be a factor. Not the only one, but one for sure. And, guess what? With the size and interest level of our fanbase, this should be a big positive for IU.
My buddy owns a financial advising business in Bloomington, manages over 100 mil. Growing like crazy. I told him to do the same thing that TJD just did with Jordan Gerinomo.

he is hesitant, like I think a lot of businesses are. I do think if IU is good that hesitancy is going to go away and a lot of these 5-10k deals start happening. Guessing TJDs was 20-25k

Reactions: Brockway
Feel better? Ignorant is reading things that aren't there and then proceeding to heckle someone on the basis of your imagination/error. Show me where I said, implied or suggested it "wouldn't be a factor". You can't because I didn't. I did say, suggest and imply that if bling/bucks was the principle criterion determining a recruit's decision, I wouldn't have any cause for regret if they enlisted elsewhere than IU.

Of course it matters. IMO it just shouldn't be the only thing - mercenaries typically make for fickle partners and crappy Teammates, so while a school may 'buy' Players, chemistry is another matter.

Enlighten me, what did TJD do with JG? Or, does that belong on the AOTF?
I write in gibberish. TJD signed a brand ambassador for merchant bank financial advising sessions public appearances etc. bet he got 25grand.

my buddy should do that poor man version with Jordan. Could get him for 5k instead of 25.

I write in gibberish. TJD signed a brand ambassador for merchant bank financial advising sessions public appearances etc. bet he got 25grand.

my buddy should do that poor man version with Jordan. Could get him for 5k instead of 25.
Got get'em Cav.

Reactions: kkott

If only Jordan had some sort of representation to cut deals like that. That would seem like a smart play!

If only Jordan had some sort of representation to cut deals like that. That would seem like a smart play!

I could do that I guess, just not a ton of money in it at the college level unless a lot hit and keep me around.

I could do that I guess, just not a ton of money in it at the college level unless a lot hit and keep me around.
Just wanted to let you know what a kick it's been listening to IU pundits talking about how unfortunate it was that they didn't get to see the game and them having to listen to someone else tell them what happened and/or do their analysis solely on the basis of looking at a box score. In technical parlance that's what's known as 'sweet'.

🍒

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
We are so far behind in NIL it’s not even funny. We’re going to be crushed like a tiny bug crossing in front of a Mack truck when the big deals start coming. We will not have the boosters for the big deals.

I absolutely love this staff though. It’s too bad they have to deal with the NIL.

If a kid makes his/her choice on the basis of who offered the most swag and/or extravagant high-end luxury ride, quite content if they play somewhere/anywhere other than at IU. Really.
How dare an 18 year old kid want a Mercedes over a 2004 Toyota Camry. Just terrible character.

Reactions: Lucy01
Just wanted to let you know what a kick it's been listening to IU pundits talking about how unfortunate it was that they didn't get to see the game and them having to listen to someone else tell them what happened and/or do their analysis solely on the basis of looking at a box score. In technical parlance that's what's known as 'sweet'.

🍒
They started a thread about me on peegs. Fatjohns chimed in after someone said I bet IU told him to take them down. He said I stole content from the big ten, and that of course it wouldn’t go unnoticed.

Well while his ass was literally chowing down on Doritos during the game, he didn’t so much as make a peep while my tripod was right in front of his boss.

Stole content, what a tool. No1 asked me to take down shit from IU or the big ten, I just relish in those goobers on peegs not having access to it.

Then the hysteric clown got in the convo and said when I bought the tickets it was probably in the fine print? Oh ya dipshit, the Atlantis website really got with the big ten and added language to the add on button while booking rooms that taping of games was not allowed. Moron. They could barely figure out that games were happening at the Atlantis.

Last edited:
They started a thread about me on peegs. Fatjohns chimed in after someone said I bet IU told him to take them down. He said I stole content from the big ten, and that of course it wouldn’t go unnoticed.
Big bolshy sour 🍇.

Generally speaking, rules are for people that don't know how to act. And stupid rules are for the unimaginative/cowardly. The only trick is being canny enough to know the difference...

Of course it matters. IMO it just shouldn't be the only thing - mercenaries typically make for fickle partners and crappy Teammates, so while a school may 'buy' Players, chemistry is another matter.

At some point the kid is going to have a character check. If he's got any, he'll know if his NIL opportunities are proper or if they amount to being bought.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
I think the quality and impact of our (and other schools) “brand“ can be overestimated when it comes to the NIL. Do we still have a decent brand? Yes we do but I think there will be some schools we aren’t even thinking about that will rise due to NIL. Look at OK State, back in the day, and how they went from nothing to pretty decent (in football) because T Boone Pickens donated over 600 million. What if he could have openly NIL’d 50 million of that to recruits over the years. There will be some schools with crazy rich alumni that will put together lucrative deals, tied into companies they own, for every recruit that commits. Maybe some NC State rich dude, as an example, makes it clear that every bball player will be getting a minimum 150k NIL deal. If that happens the NC State colors might start looking a lot more appealing to a kid than Carolina blue. It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Reactions: kkott
It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out.
I anticipate a number of 'spectacles' akin to theater of the absurd. Comedy and tragedy to be sure, but lots of irony and a fair number of really 'bad movies'.

Near-term sort of wondering what this does to pending NCAA/FBI charges against Miller, Self, et al., not that I expected much anyway, but still...

New NCAA penalty - no NIL for the length of time beginning when a school is found guilty of according impermissible benefits to the date NIL commenced.

At some point the kid is going to have a character check. If he's got any, he'll know if his NIL opportunities are proper or if they amount to being bought.

I‘m a bit torn by this.
I’ve known parents that had kids go to their second, or perhaps never before considered, college choice because of huge merit money that virtually paid all of the students college tuition/room/board. Everyone pretty much responded along the lines of “good for you”, “no brainer”, “can’t blame you” etc etc. Were they “bought“?

Now take a highly recruited bball player, that might be coming from challenging economic circumstances, that is told “we will help you with your NIL” at one school versus a school that says “we have lined up 125k of NIL endorsements if you sign with us”. Does the kid have character issues, and/or is he being bought, for choosing the sure thing? It would be easy to justify taking the 125k by saying “that’s what they think I’m worth” much like the academic students that chose the nearly free schools and conclude “thats the price they are willing to pay for my brainpower”.

It’s true the bball player would get more economic benefit (free school plus $$$) but the player also helps drive much more revenue for the school, as a D1 athlete basically works full-time and is ultra elite (top 150 in the country) at what they do. Not saying I like watching the game I was used to “blow up” (ie “good ol days” when everything was sneaky/behind closed doors:)) but the genie is out of the bottle.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
Have you heard any basketball guys getting huge deals? Been all football in what I’ve seen.
To be fair, it's so new that I wouldn't expect to see a basketball player cash in yet. I'm sure there are guys talking to potential partners, but I wouldn't think we'd see any ads or anything with a basketball player's name on it until basketball season.

As an aside, I did see a commercial with an OSU football player as their spokesperson during one of the OSU football games. It just looked off and will take some getting used to.

To be fair, it's so new that I wouldn't expect to see a basketball player cash in yet. I'm sure there are guys talking to potential partners, but I wouldn't think we'd see any ads or anything with a basketball player's name on it until basketball season.

As an aside, I did see a commercial with an OSU football player as their spokesperson during one of the OSU football games. It just looked off and will take some getting used to.
IU did a great job getting ahead of the pack by bringing in top consultants to educate the AD staff, Coaching staffs and players.

IU basketball will not get many of the elite players with big deals as we don't have the market to support it. What IU does have is a the national exposure and large rabid alumni base with stroke that will allow them to create lots of opportunity for those Top 100 recruits. IU is is a really good position

IU FB...long way to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT