ADVERTISEMENT

National Recruiting

Rotonda Jim

Benchwarmer
Sep 3, 2003
As I watched the IU women reach the elite 8 yesterday, I noticed that only one of our key players, Ali Patberg, is from the state of Indiana and is actually a transfer from Notre Dame. Yes, there are two other Hoosiers on the roster but they get minimal playing time. The team also has recruits from Canada, Spain, Latvia and Australia and states like Florida, Maine, Kentucky, Georgia and Colorado. Folks, the national and international recruiting is working very well. I have always wondered why Hoosier fans seem to put immense pressure on the coach to recruit Indiana high school players when the talent has seemingly deteriorated since we went to one class basketball. I remember well how Mike Davis was strongly criticized for bringing in three Mr. Basketballs but failing to bring it Oden and Conley. That criticism was used as ammunition to get rid of Davis despite his record that really was as good as Knight's in his final six seasons. Without mentioning any names, Indiana's recent Mr. Basketballs have not lived up to the standards that Hoosier fans expect. Both Notre Dame and Purdue are recruiting nationally more than IU. Things have changed and schools like Gonzaga are proving that going away from your immediate area can bear fruit and that fruit can be tremendous.

As I watched the IU women reach the elite 8 yesterday, I noticed that only one of our key players, Ali Patberg, is from the state of Indiana and is actually a transfer from Notre Dame. Yes, there are two other Hoosiers on the roster but they get minimal playing time. The team also has recruits from Canada, Spain, Latvia and Australia and states like Florida, Maine, Kentucky, Georgia and Colorado. Folks, the national and international recruiting is working very well. I have always wondered why Hoosier fans seem to put immense pressure on the coach to recruit Indiana high school players when the talent has seemingly deteriorated since we went to one class basketball. I remember well how Mike Davis was strongly criticized for bringing in three Mr. Basketballs but failing to bring it Oden and Conley. That criticism was used as ammunition to get rid of Davis despite his record that really was as good as Knight's in his final six seasons. Without mentioning any names, Indiana's recent Mr. Basketballs have not lived up to the standards that Hoosier fans expect. Both Notre Dame and Purdue are recruiting nationally more than IU. Things have changed and schools like Gonzaga are proving that going away from your immediate area can bear fruit and that fruit can be tremendous.

There you are again carrying water for Mike Davis. Completely undermines any other potentially valid point you might have.

Heck..... IU turns down perfectly good academic students here in the United States, so they can rake in the money from Foreign Student applicants. So I guess it's no different if the coaches go after out of state or foreign players for the Basketball Team.

(Jim... my statement is not supposed to be any dig on your post or contradict it in any way. I am just posting my thoughts. You make very good points in your post)

Heck..... IU turns down perfectly good academic students here in the United States, so they can rake in the money from Foreign Student applicants. So I guess it's no different if the coaches go after out of state or foreign players for the Basketball Team.

(Jim... my statement is not supposed to be any dig on your post or contradict it in any way. I am just posting my thoughts. You make very good points in your post)
Got your point. It usually is about the money, isn't it?

Reactions: Tscurlo
There you are again carrying water for Mike Davis. Completely undermines any other potentially valid point you might have.
I suppose you may be right. I get that but in light of what happened after Davis left, will you at least admit that he was not that bad and just maybe a mistake was made? After he left, he did take two other schools to the Big Dance from conferences that get only one team and we don't even go any more when the BT sends 9 teams. So what has happened?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT