ADVERTISEMENT

Name a few of your favorite politicians (past or present)

Bill comes across as a very likable person... Hillary as a bitch. Of course that is just my perception of them. Even though I didn't like a lot of his policies and his morals you gotta give credit where credit is due... he was a very, very good politician and a good speaker. None of the presidents since him are in his league as a politician or speaker. JMO

The book talks about how he would fully understand both sides of an issue and sometimes he would talk himself out of his original stance on something. Also that he would virtually rewrite an entire speech even in the limo on the way to where he was speaking. Brilliant guy who has no control over himself.

The book talks about how he would fully understand both sides of an issue and sometimes he would talk himself out of his original stance on something. Also that he would virtually rewrite an entire speech even in the limo on the way to where he was speaking. Brilliant guy who has no control over himself.
Brilliant. Like musk in some ways.

Nixon has been mentioned once, perhaps the most intelligent President. The facts that he reportedly could play eight musical instruments along with his photographic memory are lost in the noise of his battles with the press and political shenanigans.

The OP did ask for favorites, not necessarily most liked. ( just to be clear)

Trump's treatment of the press was more of an eighth grade bully boy imitation of Nixon's contempt of the media. From the "checkers" speech to the debate with Kennedy to Watergate Nixon absolutely knew the media was not kind to his thin skin. With his memory, he never forgot a slight, most likely leading to his downfall. The smartest man in the room with a personality that according to Ron Reagan " not pleasant to be around".
IMO the most fascinating politician of the last half of the 20th century.

There are a truckload of books written about the man, some get close to a sympathetic capture. I haven't bothered to read most of them but for a good laugh "Whatever happened to Gloomy Gus of the Chicago Bears" by Robert Coover is a good introduction to Nixon for a number of reasons.

ap071018025784-79d132e8ab32095c9879f07a06c527318ecb7e65-s6-c30.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT