ADVERTISEMENT

My Top 5 Questions for Spring: Defense

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
Last season, the defense took a considerable step back, in terms of S&P+, dropping from #25 in 2017 to #75 in 2018. The Hoosiers rank below Rutgers (#67) and above Purdue (#88). Obviously, we need a good defense in order to win 6 and Play 13. Here are my defensive question for this Spring this team must answer in order to reverse the recent regression on defense.

1. Who steps up to replace 4 year starter Crawford?

His presence and leadership will be missed. Good news is everyone else returns in the secondary.

2. Will the returning talent in the secondary take a step forward and improve?

The IU pass defense ranked #104 in S&P+ last year. The same players, minus Crawford, all return. That might be good and they'll all improve with the experience from last season. Or that might be bad as because we return everybody from a bad pass defense.

Good news is Larry Tracy is enrolled early and will hopefully push the vets from day 1.

3. How is Juan Harris' conditioning, effort and motor?

Rush defense (ranked #84) was better than the pass, but still in the top part of bottom half in the country. We need Harris to be so good in such a bad way. He's got the size, and the skill. But I want to see his effort, emotion and motor to take control of the trenches.

4. How will the team respond to Kane Wommack as full time DC?

Sure seems great on paper with a history to match. Hopefully improve the consistency of a defense that was quite inconsistent last year. We would great against PSU, OSU and UM from the East yet look incompetent at times against lesser competition in Iowa, Minnesota and Purdue from the West.

I'm interested to see how he evaluates personnel and who buys into what he's trying to do. Also interested to see how much involvement Allen will have on this side after giving Kane the promotion.

5. Will the second year of Ballou and his S&C program increase our team speed on defense?

I've read some articles and listened to a podcast on how he conditions the nervous system so players can think fast, react fast, and play fast. I want to see that come to fruition and translate on the field. Will this become an advantage or is it a pipe dream (I. E. can't teach speed). Memories of Iowa TEs, Minny WRs, and PU's Moore running past IU defenders is still fresh I'm my mind. We need speed.

These are what I'm looking for this spring. Is anyone looking forward to anything else or have other questions you want answered?

One area that will determine how good the defense will do will be the young LBs. I think we have some young play makers but the DL will have to do the job on the run and pass to allow them to excel. I would like to see the defense be simplified and let the young players focus on a few techniques to get better. The complexity worked in 2017 with experienced and talented LBs [Covington an Scales] but IU doesn't have that experience and talent right now.

Last season, the defense took a considerable step back, in terms of S&P+, dropping from #25 in 2017 to #75 in 2018. The Hoosiers rank below Rutgers (#67) and above Purdue (#88). Obviously, we need a good defense in order to win 6 and Play 13. Here are my defensive question for this Spring this team must answer in order to reverse the recent regression on defense.

His presence and leadership will be missed. Good news is everyone else returns in the secondary.

The IU pass defense ranked #104 in S&P+ last year. The same players, minus Crawford, all return. That might be good and they'll all improve with the experience from last season. Or that might be bad as because we return everybody from a bad pass defense.

Good news is Larry Tracy is enrolled early and will hopefully push the vets from day 1.

Rush defense (ranked #84) was better than the pass, but still in the top part of bottom half in the country. We need Harris to be so good in such a bad way. He's got the size, and the skill. But I want to see his effort, emotion and motor to take control of the trenches.

Sure seems great on paper with a history to match. Hopefully improve the consistency of a defense that was quite inconsistent last year. We would great against PSU, OSU and UM from the East yet look incompetent at times against lesser competition in Iowa, Minnesota and Purdue from the West.

I'm interested to see how he evaluates personnel and who buys into what he's trying to do. Also interested to see how much involvement Allen will have on this side after giving Kane the promotion.

5. Will the second year of Ballou and his S&C program increase our team speed on defense?

I've read some articles and listened to a podcast on how he conditions the nervous system so players can think fast, react fast, and play fast. I want to see that come to fruition and translate on the field. Will this become an advantage or is it a pipe dream (I. E. can't teach speed). Memories of Iowa TEs, Minny WRs, and PU's Moore running past IU defenders is still fresh I'm my mind. We need speed.

These are what I'm looking for this spring. Is anyone looking forward to anything else or have other questions you want answered?
Good post. The precipitous drop that occurred with respect to the defense last season was not expected, at least not by me.

With respect to your paragraph 4, this will be the most interesting feature to watch. Wommack was successful at South Alabama, but replicating that success at the P5 level is not a given. Fortunately he's got a pretty good mentor standing by, and hopefully things work out.

Regarding your paragraph 5, I didn't see compelling evidence that the much talked about off-season (prior to the 2018 season) gains in S&C translated to gameday action. We wilted late in some games, and we didn't seem particularly fast. Hopefully S&C progress will be more apparent this year.

Reactions: bang63 and IUCX9
I'd like to see 4* recruit, Cameron Williams be a factor early on at LB. We need him to play to his ranking and be an impact player from jump.

Is this possible or expected out of him?

Good questions/post. Actually, I thought Crawford's season was somewhat of a microcosm of the entire secondary & defense as a whole: a disappointment. He seemed to almost regress in pass coverage, as did many of our DB's, although I suspect our inability to stop the run played into their struggles. The secondary is our deepest & most talented group though, so it simply has to improve. It's hard for a secondary to lead or carry a defense, but we'll need to find a way to get strength elsewhere from the play of our secondary, if we can get enough effective 1 on 1 coverage, that would do the trick. As for Juan Harris, by now we should all probably have the mentality that any contribution is a bonus, because there's just no telling where his head's at. I think Sio might be the answer as much as Harris, but the D-line in general is of MAJOR concern, we must get better there & the rest of the front 7, LB's included. As for responses to Wommack, time will tell, but I don't think it's going to be much of a transition for the team. & the S & C program of Ballou didn't seem to have much impact last season, so I'm not expecting one this year, but if there is it's a much needed & welcome bonus. All in all though, for me, what we need more than anything else, is for some of these young & talented players to make an impact. It's time for some kids to step up. PERIOD! James Head, Lance Bryant, Bryant Fitzgerald, Juwan Burgess, Monster Matthews, Cam Jones, Jonathan King, James Miller, Jaylin Williams, Gavin McCabe...it's time to step up, now. These impressive recruiting classes might as well be ranked # 100 if we can't get production out of them. Now yes, I know some of these names haven't even had their chance yet, but that's not really my point, I'm not saying they have failed, I'm saying it's time to succeed.

Last edited:

I think if the front 6 can stop the run better and pressure the QB, I think you will find that the secondary is/will be very good.

I think if the front 6 can stop the run better and pressure the QB, I think you will find that the secondary is/will be very good.
Double this ^^^^^

Everything works on the D from the inside out! The only reason every group suffered last year was NO PRESSURE! The D-Line has to step up for anything else to work...

Reactions: vesuvius13

Those are certainly good questions! Hopefully we will all see some answers to them by the end of Spring.
I think my biggest concern is the Dl. It has to be better. Harris has a monster opportunity to be the NG we desperately need, but we still also need some of the youngins to step up at DE and provide solid run D and especially a pass rush threat. Big year for the DL and Hagen.

With so much youth on defense last year. It's only going to get better. My big question is the D line. I love our linebackers and safeties. Thank god Willis is gone ( always late in filling the gap ). Overall i think this defense under Wommack gets back to being a top 50 defense. My big surprise player on defense this year will be Stallings. I think he finishes with 8+ sacks and a few big strip sacks in there.

Those are certainly good questions! Hopefully we will all see some answers to them by the end of Spring.
I think my biggest concern is the Dl. It has to be better. Harris has a monster opportunity to be the NG we desperately need, but we still also need some of the youngins to step up at DE and provide solid run D and especially a pass rush threat. Big year for the DL and Hagen.
Who's your favorite to step up on the DL? (Besides Harris)

JamarbJohnson continues to improve and is a big boy. And forgetting his name, but the FL DE with the long blonde hair (reminds me of the UM DE) was showing signs of ability to get to the QB as season wore on.

Reactions: IUCX9
JamarbJohnson continues to improve and is a big boy. And forgetting his name, but the FL DE with the long blonde hair (reminds me of the UM DE) was showing signs of ability to get to the QB as season wore on.
Jamar had 1.5 sacks an 2.5 TFLs in the Bucket game. He's doing to be goooood. I also like Ziemba.

Can't just blame secondary for pass defense though. If the DL can't get pressure on the QB and he has all the time in the world to throw, then most any secondary would get picked apart.

Like with most team sports, a breakdown in one part of the defense will make the whole defense look bad.

As for S&C, it's hard to know what our players would have looked like under the old S&C to actually be able compare it to how the new S&C program is doing. The team could have been faster than the otherwise would have been but still not be fast enough. Also, you can be fast but if reaction time is delayed or player misreads the play, then their speed isn't as helpful and will look slower than their numbers suggest. So, they not only need to improve with S&C but also need to react faster to the play as it unfolds and choose better closing angles.

Seems like I recall Allen or another coach commenting on players needing to trust each to do their task because players were getting themselves out of position trying to cover for someone else.

Johnson had a monster year last season so I'll be interested to see if he can get even better if we have a legit Nose Guard next to him. But for me, it's depth at both interior positions, and then hoping that Bryant and Head can really cement at DE.

Reactions: ESalum86
ADVERTISEMENT