G
Alford
F
Calbert
F
Henderson
F
Jeffries

Jay Edwards is my favorite player to wear the candy stripes.

Been watching older games, IU was a dominant force for almost 3 decades. I really think IU will return to that level.

Go HOOSIERS

Reactions: IUAndy
Amazingly, those are all my favorite players too. Although I would sub out Edwards for Alford (as my favorite players, not necessarily the best etc.).

Favorite

PG Bailey, most don’t categorize him here, but he sure brought it up a lot. Especially in key situations.
SG Olidipo
SF Cheaney
PF Henderson
C Zeller

I’d probably only look to put Alford in there for maybe Vic or Damon if I was changing it “best” in my “memory-time”. 87 is the first team I have really any memories of.

Damon is my all time favorite IU player. Vic is up there too.

You have got to be kidding me. Your perspective is "here and now". Here is my vintage team and I'll spot you 5.5 points:
5: Walt Bellamy
4: Don Schlundt
3: Pick a Van Arsdale
2. Jimmy Rayl
1: Hallie Bryant or Bob Leonard

How is Steve Alford's defense? Who is he going to guard?

Why do we have to break it down generationally? Top 5 should be top 5 right?

PG Thomas
SG Rayl
SF May
PF Bellamy (HM McGinnis)
C Schlundt (hard for me not to put Benson here, but stats lean heavily to Schlundt)

G
Thomas
G
Alford
F
Calbert
F
Henderson
F
Jeffries

Jay Edwards is my favorite player to wear the candy stripes.

Been watching older games, IU was a dominant force for almost 3 decades. I really think IU will return to that level.

Go HOOSIERS
There is no doubt Edwards gave us some great moments. That shot against Michigan in Assembly Hall was electric.

Why do we have to break it down generationally? Top 5 should be top 5 right?

PG Thomas
SG Rayl
SF May
PF Bellamy (HM McGinnis)
C Schlundt (hard for me not to put Benson here, but stats lean heavily to Schlundt)

Bugged me all the guys I had to leave off. Team 2:

PG Buckner
SG Alford
SF Cheaney
PF McGinnis
C Benson

Man, would that be a game? Creating team 1, I had to rely on reputation, stats and other's opinions, but almost all of team 2 I saw (not McGinnis in college, but remember him in the pros), and that's a really, really great team. I'd love to see that game, but I might lean to team 2 for the edge.

You have got to be kidding me. Your perspective is "here and now". Here is my vintage team and I'll spot you 5.5 points:
2. Jimmy Rayl

Bobby Leonard? No way, no how.

Um...

Sherron Wilkerson
Pat Knight
Delray Brooks
Tommy Baker
Calbert Cheaney
;-)

2. Jimmy Rayl

I wondered when someone would say Rayle. Wish I could have seen him play

2. Jimmy Rayl

I loved Hallie in Swordfish with Travolta

Reactions: Rasco123
Bellamy

McGinnis

Cheaney

Isiah
-------------------------

Alford, Buckner, Jefferies, Vans, Wittman, Woodson, May, Rayl, Benson, fight it out for last spot. (Alford if i have to pick one).

i presume Larry isn't eligible.

Schlundt, Leonard, etc, get screwed by being before my time.

McGinnis
I. Thomas
Cheaney
Benson
Buckner for no 3-pointers...(Alford if considering with the 3-point shots.)

I have never, ever, seen a power forward for IU better than McGinnis. I mean he was so very strong. Went over people, through people, just owned the rim...if he could see the rim it was his.

I. Thomas is hands down the best. Smart court sense. Quick. Made his teammates better. Definitely a franchise.

I like Scott May. Smooth as silk. But Cheaney had strength and pizzaz. What a baller.

Jeffries had hops and long arms that Benson didn't. But Benson was the penultimate stay-around-the-basket back-to-the-bucket center. On offense, maybe Jeffries. On defense and meshing with the team, Benson. (Plus I graduated in '77.)

Shooting guard is a toughie. I like Alford on offense. And Buckner isn't Steve Alford on offense. But Buckner is a catalyst...a fighter...a winner. Why not 2 PG's? Well, we do have the three-point shot...now...ugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rock1820
I’ve got a couple questions...

Go on.... I am young for this board and really started watching every game in 2002. I was a knight fan before that, but was a kid and cared more about throwing water balloons out of cars than sports.

C. Walt Bellamy / Kent Benson
F. George McGinnis / Alan Henderson
F. Scott May / Calbert Cheaney
G. Jay Edwards / Steve Alford
G. Isiah Thomas / Bobby Wilkerson

C. Walt Bellamy / Kent Benson
F. George McGinnis / Alan Henderson
F. Scott May / Calbert Cheaney
G. Jay Edwards / Steve Alford
G. Isiah Thomas / Bobby Wilkerson
Top 5 regardless of position
Isiah Thomas
Scott May
George McGinnis
Calbert Cheaney
Bobby Wilkerson

PG-Thomas SG -Rayl SF-Cheaney, PF-Bellamy C-Shlundt. 2nd team PG-Buckner, SG-Edwards, SF-May C-Tolbert PF-Henderson.3rd team-PF-Jeffries,SF-Wittman,C-Benson,SG-Gordon,PG-Guyton.

PG-Thomas SG -Rayl SF-Cheaney, PF-Bellamy C-Shlundt. 2nd team PG-Buckner, SG-Edwards, SF-May C-Tolbert PF-Henderson.3rd team-PF-Jeffries,SF-Wittman,C-Benson,SG-Gordon,PG-Guyton.
I have been watching Indiana Basketball since the early 50's and I would consider Rayl one of the most fun if not the most fun player to watch during that time as many have said he never saw a shot he didn't like and he made more than his fair sure. if they had had the three point shot then his numbers would have been amazing. Can't say I can remember much about his defense, he was to busy playing offense. In those days they didn't spend a lot of time playing defense, they just tried to outscore the other team.
I wondered when someone would say Rayle. Wish I could have seen him play

2. Jimmy Rayl

None of those guys could check Zeek, Scottie, or Cal. It’s better to pick all-five squads representing different eras. Of those six above IMHO, only Bells could have competed at the highest level in any era. Let the darts begin.

Bellamy,

McGinnis,

Isiah,

are the 3 that can't be disputed by anyone, and they are just flat wrong if they do.. (post Schlundt and Leonard who were before my time).

lots of competition for the other 2 spots, with my contenders mentioned in my original post.

Reactions: hondo314
ADVERTISEMENT