ADVERTISEMENT

My take

CC Mac

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2002
I was in the stands as a 10 year old in ‘67 when we beat Purdue.
I remember rushing the field and being almost trampled as my brothers and I got a piece of sod from the field.
From that point on I’ve been hooked on IU football and boy has it been a bumpy ride.
Had seasons tickets thru the 80’s and 90’s and I would always hope the new year was going to be the break thru year and 30 years later I’m still waiting.
Some things just aren’t meant to be and I fear IU football may be one of them.
Not sure where I’m going with this,after every disappointing loss I tell myself to just walk away but yet here I am again thinking that this week just may be the week.But yet I know in the back of my mind it most likely won’t be.Yet I’ll be right back here next week thinking the same thing.
It takes a special person to be an IU football fan so here is a tip of the cap to all those who have persevered through the years,keep fighting the good fight.
IU 28 Wisconsin 27

Last edited:
Yeah, you have to have a degree of mental toughness to stick with them. I've been a fan for 57 years. They rarely make it easy... I'm not giving up on them though. Let's hope they don't give up on themselves...
My freshman year at IU I was considering using all of my savings to go to the Rose Bowl. I decided that I would wait to go to the next one. 50 years later I'm STILL waiting . . . .
:(

I remember rushing the field and being almost trampled as my brothers and I got a piece of sod from the field.
From that point on I’ve been hooked on IU football and boy has it been a bumpy ride.
Had seasons tickets thru the 80’s and 90’s and I would always hope the new year was going to be the break thru year and 30 years later I’m still waiting.
Some things just aren’t meant to be and I believe IU football is one of them.
Not sure where I’m going with this,after every disappointing loss I tell myself to just walk away but yet here I am again thinking that this week just may be the week.But yet I know in the back of my mind it most likely won’t be and yet I’ll be right back here next week thinking the same thing.
It takes a special person to be an IU football fan so here is a tip of the cap to all those who have perseverved through the years,keep fighting the good fight.
IU 28 Wisconsin 27

This might be one of the best post of the season. No exaggeration.

Dear God its gotta happen soon.. as far away as we are... we are stills so close..

Its like shooting a 90 on the golf course but getting that eagle on the par 5 18th.. Something about it keeps you coming back.

Dear God its gotta happen soon.. as far away as we are... we are stills so close..

Its like shooting a 90 on the golf course but getting that eagle on the par 5 18th.. Something about it keeps you coming back.
Thanks, I was just rambling, not sure where it was headed lol.
I still say it’s gonna happen,just hope it’s in my lifetime.

Not sure where I’m going with this,after every disappointing loss I tell myself to just walk away but yet here I am again thinking that this week just may be the week.But yet I know in the back of my mind it most likely won’t be and yet I’ll be right back here next week thinking the same thing.
It takes a special person to be an IU football fan so here is a tip of the cap to all those who have perseverved through the years,keep fighting the good fight.
IU 28 Wisconsin 27
I too was there, as a 7 year old, and went to every home game and a couple road. Unfortunately, my parents left me home for the Rose Bowl (don’t blame them !) Like you , still waiting, hoping and showing up weekly.

Being there for the big win over MSU several years back, or watching the Oregon and Missouri road wins were memorable. Nothing was more emotional than being there for the FG that beat Purdue and sent us to a bowl game in 2007. We all have to hold on to those memories. For me, it is about the thrill of an unexpected win and not wanting to miss it when it comes.

That unknown next moment is why I will make the 2 hour drive up Saturday to watch what most would consider an unlikely chance for a win. If it happens, I will be there and it will be among my top memories. If not, we will drag ourselves to the car and point out how close we were and that surely we can correct our issues and win one of those next time.

Yeah, you have to have a degree of mental toughness to stick with them. I've been a fan for 57 years. They rarely make it easy... I'm not giving up on them though. Let's hope they don't give up on themselves...
We should probably change the word "toughness" to "illness" in this post. But I as well will be back on Saturday. One in a million, so you're sayin' there's a chance !

I feel your pain,when it does I say we all meet at the Rose Bowl for a group photo and a cold beverage

Perhaps the alumni association can organize a huge event around the Rose Bowl swap meet. Bring the Marching 100. Play touch football. Maybe challenge Minnesota. The floats are kept in storage. It could happen.

Reactions: CC Mac
Thanks, I was just rambling, not sure where it was headed lol.
I still say it’s gonna happen,just hope it’s in my lifetime.

ha It was like a therapy session. I envisioned you lying on a coach baring your soul. Unfortunately we all feel the same way but we can't give up and expect the players to march on. We win this week, we are back on the saddle. We lose and we are then up against the wall. After that game Saturday I was hoping the players are just downright mad and find a way to bottle that anger. Take it out on an unsuspecting Wisconsin team. No matter how good we know we have looked at times, Wisconsin still looks over and sees 0-5 in the B1G. No way on earth they don't overlook us.....

Perhaps the alumni association can organize a huge event around the Rose Bowl swap meet. Bring the Marching 100. Play touch football. Maybe challenge Minnesota. The floats are kept in storage. It could happen.
I like that idea.

IU 28 Wisconsin 27
I've been a fan for 46 years and I still remember what it felt like to be in cold, rainy September 30, 1978 when Nebraska beat us 69-17. And, be honest, CC, 1987 felt like a breakthrough year, didn't it?
Bottom line, though, is you are right: It's not easy being a Hoosier football fan.

Reactions: 76-1 and CC Mac
I've been a fan for 46 years and I still remember what it felt like to be in cold, rainy September 30, 1978 when Nebraska beat us 69-17. And, be honest, CC, 1987 felt like a breakthrough year, didn't it?
Bottom line, though, is you are right: It's not easy being a Hoosier football fan.
Oh yeah, my buddy and I were in the stands for the Michigan game that year.
Driving rain the whole day but it was awesome.
I had bought some new white longjohns to wear under my coat that day.
My coat had a red liner in it,when we got to the car and took my coat off the liner turned my longjohns pink lol.
We didn’t care,we sat there for another hour partying in my pink longjohns,a very good memory.

Oh yeah, my buddy and I were in the stands for the Michigan game that year.
Driving rain the whole day but it was awesome.
I had bought some new longjohns to wear under my coat that day.
My coat had a red liner in it,when we got to the car and took my coat off the liner turned my longjohns pink lol.
We didn’t care,we sat there for another hour partying in my pink longjohns,a very good memory.
Cheers to the good times -- they keep us hoping and cheering, don't they?

Reactions: 76-1 and CC Mac
My brother drove us the four hours down to Bloomington for the opening game against Kentucky in 1967 and I was hooked from then on. It was frustrating (and now it would be unbelievable) that the game against Purdue that season was not even televised because ABC was locked into the Michigan vs. Ohio State as always.

We have had some good moments with the 1967 season, the late 70s with Tim Clifford at QB, and then the Mallory years in the late 80s and early 90s. It was always hard to understand why we could have good teams for a few years, but they would never last. I guess the facilities lacking the quality of the top teams always worked against us during those times.

i was there for every home game in 67, and the 2 closed circuit games.

also there for the Mich game in 87. (was going to just watch on tv, but the baseball playoffs nixed that broadcast, so me and a buddy decided to go at the last minute).

67 wasn't my 1st yr though. saw my 1st game at 10th st stadium, and attended most home games once the new MS was built. (thanks Knothole Club).

everyone talks about that "breakthrough" win.

that said, IU has already had a breakthrough, and apparently no one noticed.

other than those few Pont yrs, and even including most of the Mallory yrs, i don't recall being very competitive against elite teams.

lots of blowouts over the yrs, where IU didn't look competitive against better teams..

while we still need a few things to go right against many opponents, we now compete against everybody. (even against PSU this yr we looked physically able to compete, we just had everything go wrong).

even though it hasn't shown up in the W-L column yet, IU is a much much better program now than most of my days watching.

while i used to just hope we got past OSU and UM without too many injuries, i now look forward to those games because we now are competitive against them and everyone else.

and since apparently few have noticed, Ramsey looks really really good for a fr QB.. i think he will have a great career at IU, including some big scalps, before it's all over. (unlike some here, i don't obsess with how far or hard someone can throw it).

and Allen looks like a great hire, both in culture and potential, and someone who hopefully won't bolt the second we do have a breakthrough yr, (which we will), as Wilson and most everyone else would.

Yeah, I was there in ‘67 as well. My freshman year in HS. There will never be a sporting that I attend live to match the feeling that day.

All these years watching IU football you learn to enjoy the game for its own sake rather than just winning. The atmosphere, the play, the tail gate, the players, etc.

I’m still hooked as I was when everyone was bailing out after Mallory’s first year. Of course all those bailers were back a few years later. Doesn’t matter to me.

Not sure where I’m going with this,after every disappointing loss I tell myself to just walk away but yet here I am again thinking that this week just may be the week.But yet I know in the back of my mind it most likely won’t be.Yet I’ll be right back here next week thinking the same thing.
It takes a special person to be an IU football fan so here is a tip of the cap to all those who have persevered through the years,keep fightiang the good fight.
IU 28 Wisconsin 27

I was 9 and also at that game........certainly the best IU game ever.........will never forget Terry Cole's runs up the middle, the fumble near the goal line, and Isenbarger's long punt thereafter. What a fun year that was. I was at 4 or 5 home games......I think every game other than the Minnesota loss away was a nail biter, and the trio of Isenbarger, Gonzo, and Butcher were a hell of a lot of fun to watch. '87 & '88 were also fun, but they didn't match that '67 season

Reactions: iu60 and 76-1

That Nebraska game was one of the worst 4/5 IU losses I can remember......There was a lot of cautious optimism going into that game. One of the most demoralizing losses ever, because it destroyed all illusions. I will never forget I.M. Hipp from Nebraska. That name is etched into my brain forever. I feel like that game was the beginning of the end for Corso and set the program back a couple of years.

I can remember 4 losses to Purdue that were crushers as well. #1 was AT's final game when we missed the FG at the end---maybe 37 yards. Cost AT the Heisman, and everyone knew it as soon as it happened. #2 was when Alstott was a SR at Purdue. He put on the 2nd most memorable performance by an opponent (behind IM Hipp). But what I remember most was hearing the Purdue band play Hail Purdue as I walked outside the stadium. That was hard to take. #3 was Green's SR year at WL. We were at on the side of the stadium where he threw the int at the end of the game. I've never been more pissed at an IU player. #4 was at Bloomington when Keith Calvin fumbled at the end of the game. All he had to do was fall down, we kick the FG and win the game.

Edit---I forgot another real bad one......my brother and I went to the MSU game at EL when we had a chance to go to the RB. Lorenzo White ran for something like 230 yds and the MSU fans were complete aholes around us. We weren't in the IU section--had just got tickets from scalpers. The road trip from Hell.

Last edited:
I was 9 and also at that game........certainly the best IU game ever.........will never forget Terry Cole's runs up the middle, the fumble near the goal line, and Isenbarger's long punt thereafter. What a fun year that was. I was at 4 or 5 home games......I think every game other than the Minnesota loss away was a nail biter, and the trio of Isenbarger, Gonzo, and Butcher were a hell of a lot of fun to watch. '87 & '88 were also fun, but they didn't match that '67 season
My most vivid memory was Cole’s run up the middle. I remember everyone standing around me and I couldn’t see him but everyone was going crazy.
I went with my dad who had a couple HS kids with him that was interested in IU.
We went in the locker room after the game and I can still remember watching some of the players shaving after the game and thinking how cool that was lol

Reactions: ESalum86
My most vivid memory was Cole’s run up the middle. I remember everyone standing around me and I couldn’t see him but everyone was going crazy.
I went with my dad who had a couple HS kids with him that was interested in IU.
We went in the locker room after the game and I can still remember watching some of the players shaving after the game and thinking how cool that was lol

Being a 9 year old, I knew about I, G & B but Terry Cole was an unknown. That was what made it special---you expected great things from I, G & B, but I don't remember TC having had any long runs that year....and to come up with 2 in that game was really exciting.

That Nebraska game was one of the worst 4/5 IU losses I can remember......There was a lot of cautious optimism going into that game. One of the most demoralizing losses ever, because it destroyed all illusions. I will never forget I.M. Hipp from Nebraska. That name is etched into my brain forever. I feel like that game was the beginning of the end for Corso and set the program back a couple of years.

I can remember 4 losses to Purdue that were crushers as well. #1 was AT's final game when we missed the FG at the end---maybe 37 yards. Cost AT the Heisman, and everyone knew it as soon as it happened. #2 was when Alstott was a SR at Purdue. He put on the 2nd most memorable performance by an opponent (behind IM Hipp). But what I remember most was hearing the Purdue band play Hail Purdue as I walked outside the stadium. That was hard to take. #3 was Green's SR year at WL. We were at on the side of the stadium where he threw the int at the end of the game. I've never been more pissed at an IU player. #4 was at Bloomington when Keith Calvin fumbled at the end of the game. All he had to do was fall down, we kick the FG and win the game.

Edit---I forgot another real bad one......my brother and I went to the MSU game at EL when we had a chance to go to the RB. Lorenzo White ran for something like 230 yds and the MSU fans were complete aholes around us. We weren't in the IU section--had just got tickets from scalpers. The road trip from Hell.
IU went to the Holiday Bowl the year after the Nebraska debacle. The beginning of the end was the 1980 season, when a very good returning team vastly underachieved. It went south from there.

I have been a season ticket holder for several years and the only game I have attended since I graduated in 1983 was homecoming against Nebraska last year. I continue to buy season tickets as I figure it one small way I can make a contribution to supporting my alma mater. I also live 1300 miles away, have a master's degree from Colorado where I live and am also a football and basketball season ticket holder, and attend all of their football games. But, IU is my (main) alma mater and I want them to make a commitment to football. No excuse for 50 years of ridiculousness. Mallory had us going to bowl games and we get rid of him b/c they wanted to go to the "next" level. Have been waiting ever since.

But to those on here who have had it with the program and aren't season ticket holders or otherwise supporting the program financially to do their small part to help IU take a step up - all I can say is STFU.

Sorry, just a stream of (un)consciousness - had to rant.

Reactions: 76-1
ha It was like a therapy session. I envisioned you lying on a coach baring your soul. Unfortunately we all feel the same way but we can't give up and expect the players to march on. We win this week, we are back on the saddle. We lose and we are then up against the wall. After that game Saturday I was hoping the players are just downright mad and find a way to bottle that anger. Take it out on an unsuspecting Wisconsin team. No matter how good we know we have looked at times, Wisconsin still looks over and sees 0-5 in the B1G. No way on earth they don't overlook us.....

One other sign Wisconsin may be overlooking IU this week is the lack of Wisc posters on this board. Thinking back to week one, it seems every week in which IU played a ranked B1G opponent, there has been at least one poster coming over here to troll and/or feign respect for the Hoosiers. So far this week . . . crickets.

IU went to the Holiday Bowl the year after the Nebraska debacle. The beginning of the end was the 1980 season, when a very good returning team vastly underachieved. It went south from there.

Funny how you remember things......I went back and looked at that Holiday Bowl team, and it was better than I remembered. Here's the crazy part....looked at Wiki....Corso's record at IU was 41-68-2, but here are the teams we played out of conference is his years: USC twice, Syracuse twice, UK 4 times Colorado twice, Duke, Vandy, LSU twice, Washington twice, Nebraska 4 times, Miami OH, NC State twice, Utah, Arizona twice, West Virginia twice. With that NC schedule, Corso was 12-16. The last 3 yrs we played/scheduled SIU, FIU twice, BSU, Wake twice, Virginia & Georgia Southern. I'd say Corso would have gone something like 23-5 against that schedule. That would have made his IU record something like 52-57-2.

It takes a special person to be an IU football fan so here is a tip of the cap to all those who have persevered through the years,keep fighting the good fight.
IU 28 Wisconsin 27

I love this post.

I was 11 years old when Babe Laufenberg was throwing touchdown passes to Duane Gunn and John Boyd. My parents didn't have a TV but I listened to every game on the radio.

Being from New Castle, I had a span where I cheered for Notre Dame when former Trojan Mike Kovaleski was starting at linebacker for the Irish but my love has always been for Indiana football.

I couldn't sleep last Saturday night I was so frustrated with the loss at Maryland. I've seen the Hoosiers play around a dozen times in person. They've only won once - when Anthony Thompson ran all over Minnesota.

I will see the Hoosiers in the Rose Bowl before my time on Earth is gone.

I love this post.

I was 11 years old when Babe Laufenberg was throwing touchdown passes to Duane Gunn and John Boyd. My parents didn't have a TV but I listened to every game on the radio.

Being from New Castle, I had a span where I cheered for Notre Dame when former Trojan Mike Kovaleski was starting at linebacker for the Irish but my love has always been for Indiana football.

I couldn't sleep last Saturday night I was so frustrated with the loss at Maryland. I've seen the Hoosiers play around a dozen times in person. They've only won once - when Anthony Thompson ran all over Minnesota.

Just don't attend the game live ;);):D

You're a great fan. Hang tough, we'll get there.

I love this post.

Thanks,the funny thing is,with all the frustrations and disappointments I still hang on to the good memories,just wish there were more of them.

Reactions: Kelly_32 and 76-1
Did anyone else read last Sunday's Indy Star about the 1967 team? ESPN analyst Paul Finebaum said that team's achievement of going to the Rose Bowl was one of the great anomalies in college football history and he thought it's almost impossible to think that could happen again. I wonder if he would have said that if we beat Michigan State in 1987 and go to a second Rose Bowl?

Did anyone else read last Sunday's Indy Star about the 1967 team? ESPN analyst Paul Finebaum said that team's achievement of going to the Rose Bowl was one of the great anomalies in college football history and he thought it's almost impossible to think that could happen again. I wonder if he would have said that if we beat Michigan State in 1987 and go to a second Rose Bowl?
That MSU team was so 'roided up that we had no chance. They were animals in every sense of the word. Every game they won should be stripped. It was like trying to win a baseball game where every opposing hitter was Barry Bonds at his most chemically-enhanced.

Fan since '76 when came to see my brother for NU at IU homecoming. Hoosiers won a "thriller" 7-0.
Later that season would be at Ross-Ade for Corso's first Bucket win.

41 years later have been on hand for lots of clunkers...48-14 vs UK in my first game as frosh in '84. The UK Punter actually scored on a fake punt.
At UW for 62-13 and 59-0 debacles. Cam's "black out" game vs UK in '97. When I think it was 49-7. And a few Tiller blow outs at R-A.

Heartbreakers too numerous to name...well ok, the '80, '86 and '92 PU games come to mind. Minny in '13. At Madison on a last second FG in Cam's 1st yr '97.

But, like all of you, I keep coming back. Was at MSU in '87 for the "BT championship game" and again just 2 wks ago. Some day let's hope for horizontal rain and and a win, the kinds vs UM in '87. Or the downpour in Columbus that same season. Ah, to dream.

Reactions: td75

Along with Gonzo, Isenbarger, & Butcher that team had Cole, Crusan, Sniadecki, and Kaczmarek....it was a damn good team....just young with the 3 sophs on offense.

If the 67' team was fairly young, then why didn't Pont build off of it the next year? They went 6-5 in 68', correct?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT