ADVERTISEMENT

My problem of staying home

meridian

Hall of Famer
Jul 3, 2001
Seattle
On the first day I decided to stay home, and that was a few days ago, my computer started acting funny. Now, I can only get Xfinity and for emails only! I tried every which way w/o success. It is 3 yrs old, so decided to buy new one, but all computer shops are closed!

using an iPhone to post an article on the WaterCooler is no fun! :(

On the first day I decided to stay home, and that was a few days ago, my computer started acting funny. Now, I can only get Xfinity and for emails only! I tried every which way w/o success. It is 3 yrs old, so decided to buy new one, but all computer shops are closed!

Actually I don’t think linking that bad. More of a problem is copying and pasting from an article or selecting a portion of a post for a response. Most of my iPhone problems are caused by fat fingers and poor aim.

Send it to me (assuming it's a laptop and is a PC, not a Mac).

No,I am not kidding. I'll fix it for dirt cheap and send it back.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson

What kind of computer?

Can't you buy one online (via your phone)?

Meridian, I'm no expert, but I wonder whether your router or modem might be part of the problem -- your post doesn't describe any computer problems except related to connectivity. It's relatively easy to restart your router and modem but you have to turn off, unplug, disconnect and/or log off your computer, router, modem and other devices in a certain order (and then reconnect/turn on all of them in another specific order). It's kinda like a complicated version of what Windows 3.1 problem solving used to be -- turn it off and reboot.

In the past, I have had to do the above a couple of times and, believe me, the order you perform those tasks matters. You might use your phone to research the procedure and write it down in case something happens to your phone in the meantime. Took me about 15 minutes to do this when I/ve had to do it.

For my part, I started getting error messages starting Friday the 3rd when I tried to access this site from either my iPhone or my computer. This morning is the first time I've been able to join the site using my computer, but my iPhone still can't access it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I think the new owners were doing some sort of data migration the past couple of days that messed it up. I'll give it a few more days before I start changing settings on my phone.

Meridian, I'm no expert, but I wonder whether your router or modem might be part of the problem -- your post doesn't describe any computer problems except related to connectivity. It's relatively easy to restart your router and modem but you have to turn off, unplug, disconnect and/or log off your computer, router, modem and other devices in a certain order (and then reconnect/turn on all of them in another specific order). It's kinda like a complicated version of what Windows 3.1 problem solving used to be -- turn it off and reboot.

In the past, I have had to do the above a couple of times and, believe me, the order you perform those tasks matters. You might use your phone to research the procedure and write it down in case something happens to your phone in the meantime. Took me about 15 minutes to do this when I/ve had to do it.

For my part, I started getting error messages starting Friday the 3rd when I tried to access this site from either my iPhone or my computer. This morning is the first time I've been able to join the site using my computer, but my iPhone still can't access it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I think the new owners were doing some sort of data migration the past couple of days that messed it up. I'll give it a few more days before I start changing settings on my phone.
I’ve done all of the above. As I said, I have no problem getting & sending emAils. If the router is at fault, I should not be able to receive/send emails. Right? Besides, the same router is connected to my wife’s TV, & she has no problem. The computer is Dell all-in-one & about 3 yrs old.

What kind of computer?

Can't you buy one online (via your phone)?
before this happened, I was thinking of doing just that. In fact, I went to Best Buy to look for a new unit and ask the Geek Squad guys to clean up the old one and transfer the files to the new one. Guess what! They were closed because of CHINAvirus! Damn Chinese! ;)

I’ve done all of the above. As I said, I have no problem getting & sending emAils. If the router is at fault, I should not be able to receive/send emails. Right? Besides, the same router is connected to my wife’s TV, & she has no problem. The computer is Dell all-in-one & about 3 yrs old.
reload the OS?

• Try a different browser....Edge, Chrome, Firefox..... don't know what you're using now.
  • Clear the cache in the browser that you're using.
  • Do a complete scan for a virus

• Try a different browser....Edge, Chrome, Firefox..... don't know what you're using now.
  • Clear the cache in the browser that you're using.
  • Do a complete scan for a virus
  • Using chrome
  • Have cleared cache
  • I will try to scan for a virus

• However, I am pretty sure it is router-related; I have had the similar problem a couple of years ago. Xfinity guy brought a new router, & it did it. I just need to be able to get in touch with xfinity tech guys. Does anybody know how? I’ve tried umpteen telephone calls, emails, etc., etc. The only thing I have not done is going to their Tech Support Center for obvious reasons. But then, I doubt whether they are open.

After a hard negotiation, I managed to borrow my wife’s tablet, which I bought her as a Xmas present last year. So, I am ok for now, not optimal but manageable. The irony is that a working computer & the Internet is so much more critical, now that we cannot do anything else; you can do only so much gardening! :)

If it's a Windows PC, can you restore to a previous restore point? Look in Settings to see if you have restore points enabled, and if you do, if there is one there that is dated before the trouble started.

• Using chrome
  • Have cleared cache
  • I will try to scan for a virus

• However, I am pretty sure it is router-related; I have had the similar problem a couple of years ago. Xfinity guy brought a new router, & it did it. I just need to be able to get in touch with xfinity tech guys. Does anybody know how? I’ve tried umpteen telephone calls, emails, etc., etc. The only thing I have not done is going to their Tech Support Center for obvious reasons. But then, I doubt whether they are open.

After a hard negotiation, I managed to borrow my wife’s tablet, which I bought her as a Xmas present last year. So, I am ok for now, not optimal but manageable. The irony is that a working computer & the Internet is so much more critical, now that we cannot do anything else; you can do only so much gardening! :)
There should be a reset to factory settings button on your router. If you do that you have to know how to reconfigure it but that's normally pretty simple.

If it's a Windows PC, can you restore to a previous restore point? Look in Settings to see if you have restore points enabled, and if you do, if there is one there that is dated before the trouble started.
Just did it. Ran Troubleshooting; says:
“Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resources (Client.schwab.com) is not responding.”
Note: I used Schwab.com for this test.
Tried to give a feedback, since the requested it, says:
“Not responding.”

“Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resources (Client.schwab.com) is not responding.”
“Not responding.”
When you said you could access your email, was that using an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird, or was that using a web interface through your browser?

There should be a reset to factory settings button on your router. If you do that you have to know how to reconfigure it but that's normally pretty simple.
Agreed. He said he could access email. But he's not able to connect to websites. Sounds like a ports/firewall issue.

“Not responding.”
Is this a laptop? Can you go somewhere where they have wifi and try to connect from the parking lot?

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
I seem to think you are right. If I can get an Xfinity Tech, I am pretty sure that is what s/he will do. Unfortunately, that is something I would try to avoid, because
1) I don’t know how to reconfigure
2) There is a chance that I may mess up somewhere along the line, that the house will be w/o a TV service, causing a WW3 in our household :))).
Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Could he try the personal hotspot setting from his cellphone?
Sure, anything that takes his existing modem/router out of the loop. What little network troubleshooting that I've done is always a process of elimination.

When you said you could access your email, was that using an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird, or was that using a web interface through your browser?
I am using Comcast email, and that is what I am talking about. In a nutshell, I use Comcast network for my primary email and the Internet connection.

I also use Outlook email for other purposes.outlook doesn’t.t work at all since this fiasco started.

Is this a laptop? Can you go somewhere where they have wifi and try to connect from the parking lot?
No.
It is a desktop, or, to be specific, all-in-one with a detached kB.
I guess I can go to Best Buy parking lot (it’s 5 min drive), & I am sure they have Wi-Fi, but I don’t see how I can use my “pc” for the purpose you mention.

I am using Comcast email, and that is what I am talking about. In a nutshell, I use Comcast network for my primary email and the Internet connection.

I also use Outlook email for other purposes.outlook doesn’t.t work at all since this fiasco started.
It's odd that you can connect to your Comcast email via your browser but nothing else. But that does tell you that your computer's physical hardware is capable of connecting. So it's not "broken". However, the fact that other devices can use the network indicates that the problem is with the computer, not the modem/router. Nevertheless, I would first reset the modem/router, then run the Windows networking troubleshooting routine. You might also try connecting with a CAT5 cable rather than wirelessly.

No.
It is a desktop, or, to be specific, all-in-one with a detached kB.
I guess I can go to Best Buy parking lot (it’s 5 min drive), & I am sure they have Wi-Fi, but I don’t see how I can use my “pc” for the purpose you mention.
No, you can't.

Undoubtedly there will be businesses such as restaurant franchises which were already struggling which will not survive the pandemic and social distancing.

Somewhat different from this and the general theme of the thread is whether HUGGING WILL SURVIVE.

I state this as a habitual hugger who for sometime have wondered if others actually shared my compulsion.

Having said that, I do realize I may not be as huggable as I think I am.

“Not responding.”
That doesn't completely make sense to me. Specifically look for a restore point in Windows Settings. Actually if you're on Win 10, forget that and go to search and open Control Panel (sorry going from memory right now, I'm on my Mac). Look for it from there. Get to a restore point if you have one and restore it.

Did you say you scanned for malware? Even if you did, if you have some way of downloading Malwarebytes to a thumb drive and put it on the problem machine and inatall/run it, I would recommend it.

My next choice, reset the IP stack. Some easy instructions at https://grok.lsu.edu/Article.aspx?articleid=19483

If neither of those work,,open a command prompt in administrator mode. Click on start, type "command prompt" without the quotes. When you see the command prompt appear, right-click on it and click Run as Administrator. Once it opens up, type sfc /scannow and hit enter. That will run for 10 minutes, maybe more. When it is done, reboot.

Did you say you scanned for malware? Even if you did, if you have some way of downloading Malwarebytes to a thumb drive and put it on the problem machine and inatall/run it, I would recommend it.
MBAM is badass. Made a lot of money back in the day with it.

Additionally, if he gets a lot of hits with MBAM and still is having connection difficulties, I'd run ComboFix on it. Not only does ComboFix clear out malware, it will also restore many registry and other settings that may have been fubar'd to their defaults. It's a heavy duty tool with little to no control once you turn it loose, and I only use it as a last resort, but it's worked miracles on some machines I thought were destined for a bare metal wipe.
My next choice, reset the IP stack. Some easy instructions at https://grok.lsu.edu/Article.aspx?articleid=19483
That brings back memories. Not sure if I ever had any success with it or not, but I believe I may have tried that on a couple of occasions with a badly compromised machine that I couldn't get connected after delousing with MBAM and whatever else I could throw at it. It's been a long time since I've done any real repair work.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
MBAM is badass. Made a lot of money back in the day with it.

Additionally, if he gets a lot of hits with MBAM and still is having connection difficulties, I'd run ComboFix on it. Not only does ComboFix clear out malware, it will also restore many registry and other settings that may have been fubar'd to their defaults. It's a heavy duty tool with little to no control once you turn it loose, and I only use it as a last resort, but it's worked miracles on some machines I thought were destined for a bare metal wipe.

That brings back memories. Not sure if I ever had any success with it or not, but I believe I may have tried that on a couple of occasions with a badly compromised machine that I couldn't get connected after delousing with MBAM and whatever else I could throw at it. It's been a long time since I've done any real repair work.

I recently moved back to repair work from Web/SQL work. I am very rusty, but picking it all back up. I am waiting on the day I can use my expanded/extended memory from the old days of trying to load dos games.

I recently moved back to repair work from Web/SQL work. I am very rusty, but picking it all back up. I am waiting on the day I can use my expanded/extended memory from the old days of trying to load dos games.
I'll be straight with you, there was a time when I was damn fvcking good at it. My Google-fu was strong and I had the guys on the GRC newgroups to lean on if necessary. I just developed a good "feel" for what I was dealing with, depending on how it presented. Of course, after confirming it wasn't a hardware issue (usually just a shakedown run with a live Linux disk would tell me that everything was in good working order), 90% of the time the culprit was malware of some sort. I'd throw MBAM at it, followed by CCleaner, AdwCleaner, JRT, etc. Always found a bunch of dodgy/unneeded programs installed that I immediately got rid of. Ripping out anything McAfee related would many times "fix" one in and of itself. And so on. Every machine was different, but the protocol was similar for all. A good tidying up of the drive with MyDefrag when wrapping up and in most cases they would run better than they did when new.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I'll be straight with you, there was a time when I was damn fvcking good at it.
Tell me about it!
At Fermilab, whenever they had computer/Internet problems, I was the one they looked for. But those were the days long gone. As you have noticed, I am just sitting in front of my PC, wasting my time to engage in arguing how many lies our beloved president has told us today. That’s life, amigo,

Last edited:
Tell me about it!
At Fermilab, whenever they had computer/Internet problems, I was the one they looked for. But those were the days long gone. As you have noticed, I am just sitting in front of my PC, wasting my time to engage in arguing how many lies our beloved president has told us today. That’s life, amigo,
What did you do at Fermilab (besides fixing everyone's PCs)? An old friend of mine has worked there for decades.

What did you do at Fermilab (besides fixing everyone's PCs)? An old friend of mine has worked there for decades.
. Investigating muons, including their decay patterns, and researching how they can be used for medical science.
. Writing users’ manuals for the computing facilities at the lab for the visiting physicists.
. Developing real-time data acquisition systems to be used by the visiting International physicists doing their data acquisition from the labs’s accelerator (was It called the Gigatron? I don’t remember the name; it was such a long time ago.)
. Lots of partying.:)

It was a job I Wish I had stayed. I was young and didn’t think deep enough.

Last edited:
. Investigating muons, including their decay patterns, and researching how they can be used in medical science.
. Writing users’ manuals for the computing facilities at the lab for the visiting ph
Long shot, but did you know D. Pushka?

Nope, but the name sounds like someone who would have visited the lab. Lots of European phycisists were there.
LOL He's from Merrillville if I recall. I used the first initial to try to keep things discrete. Good friend of mine from our days at PU.

LOL He's from Merrillville if I recall. I used the first initial to try to keep things discrete. Good friend of mine from our days at PU.
Nope then. I don’t recall meeting anybody from Purdue. I had many visits from IU profs & grad students, ithough, perhaps because I went to IU. I helped them out a lot.

Nope then. I don’t recall meeting anybody from Purdue. I had many visits from IU profs & grad students, ithough, perhaps because I went to IU. I helped them out a lot.
Now that I mentioned it, it is possible that he could have used my programs for collecting and analyzing their data. But then, many programs are short-lived theses days (& those days as well).
I did write app programs, systems programs, muon shielding programs, hand-holding, & everything my boss asked me to do. We were very lean_staffed, we did just about everything that came along.

Those were the days. I miss it. Much more interesting than sitting in front of a monitor, hoping I will get the
attention from an Xfinity Tech guy to tell me how I can get back to surfing the Internet. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT