ADVERTISEMENT

My Pillow and I.U.

Stuffshot

Hall of Famer
Feb 20, 2008
Several months ago, I saw My Pillow advertising on various IU web pages. I didn't like it at the time, because its CEO (Mike Lindell) is a blind Trump supporter. However, I haven't been able to get that advertising to pop up today. Has anyone else seen My Pillow advertising on the IU web pages?

Should we care what advertising IU accepts?
Hell yes. It amounts to at least a partial endorsement. Here's why I'm raising this today:

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Several months ago, I saw My Pillow advertising on various IU web pages. I didn't like it at the time, because its CEO (Mike Lindell) is a blind Trump supporter. However, I haven't been able to get that advertising to pop up today. Has anyone else seen My Pillow advertising on the IU web pages?

Hell yes. It amounts to at least a partial endorsement. Here's why I'm raising this today:

Are you considering returning your degree?

Cancel My Pillow !
His thoughts are wrong!
No job for HIM!

Thought-Nazi has spoken.

(PS - are you for or against the Bob Knight firing? Answer wisely. Your job depends on it. I know folks who will contact your boss if you guess wrong. You a Lemming?)

PPS - (Do any of the companies in your 401K do any business I don't like? You own any shirts made in Vietnam? China? You've had more than enough time to purge them, so if they are still there it makes you a complicit endorser of their political beliefs and child slavery. You must be re-educated and punished. It is my social justice duty to "out" people like you. I promised AOC I would.)

Are you telling me there is advertising on indiana.edu websites? Are you sure? I'm extremely skeptical.

Reactions: DANC
My wife has chronic neck pain. A few years back I asked about MyPillow on AOTF and got some good feedback. Went ahead and bought one of the ridiculously overpriced things as a Christmas gift for her. (We're eminently practical with our gifts.) Turns out she didn't like it, so I ended up using it. I like it. But knowing what I know now about Lindell, I never would have bought it in the first place.

My wife has chronic neck pain. A few years back I asked about MyPillow on AOTF and got some good feedback. Went ahead and bought one of the ridiculously overpriced things as a Christmas gift for her. (We're eminently practical with our gifts.) Turns out she didn't like it, so I ended up using it. I like it. But knowing what I know now about Lindell, I never would have bought it in the first place.
I’ve got several. Same kind of story all around.

That's not what I said. Go to iuhoosiers.com.
Gotchya. I don't normally go there unless I'm following a link from snowling or someone.

That said, it's disappointing that even that site accepts ads of any sort. But IIUC, most ad supported websites don't actually control what ads are placed on a site -- that's usually handled by a third party. Regardless, yeah, I hear you about MyPillow. Me, I never see any conventional ads. The uBlock Origin browser add-on blocks them all.

what a snowflake

Reactions: jet812 and DANC
Do you guys want to come over to my house tonight? I’m having a bonfire, we’re burning cans of Goya beans and My Pillows.

What is it with the selective outrage from people like you and MTIOTF? Are you both really this ignorant of HISTORY?

Is this like when you broke all your Dixie Chicks records? You REALLY believe that "boycotts" are a tool that people on the Left invented? How old are you?

Next, you'll be telling us that the shooting of Steve Scalise (while regrettable) is somehow the premier example of political violence in the 21st Century. Gabby Giffords says hi...

"On January 8, 2011, U.S. Representative Gabby Giffords and 18 others were shot during a constituent meeting held in a supermarket parking lot in Casas Adobes, Arizona, in the Tucson metropolitan area. Six people died, including federal District Court Chief Judge John Roll; Gabe Zimmerman, one of Giffords' staffers; and a 9-year-old girl, Christina-Taylor Green.[7][8][9][10][11] Giffords was holding the meeting, called "Congress on Your Corner", in the parking lot of a Safeway store when Jared Lee Loughner drew a pistol and shot her in the head before proceeding to fire on other people.[8][9] One additional person was injured in the immediate aftermath of the shooting.[12] News reports identified the target of the attack to be Giffords, a Democrat representing Arizona's 8th congressional district.[8] She was shot through the head at point-blank range, and her medical condition was initially described as "critical".[8][9]

Loughner, a 22-year-old Tucson man who was fixated on Giffords, was arrested at the scene.[13] Federal prosecutors filed five charges against him, including the attempted assassination of a member of Congress and the assassination of a federal judge.[10][14][15] Loughner previously had been arrested once (but not convicted) on a minor drug charge[16] and had been suspended by his college for disruptive behavior. Court filings include notes handwritten by Loughner indicating he planned to assassinate Giffords.[14] Loughner did not cooperate with authorities, invoking his right to remain silent.[9] He was held without bail and indicted on 49 counts. In January 2012, Loughner was found by a federal judge to be incompetent to stand trial based on two medical evaluations, which diagnosed him with paranoid schizophrenia.[17] On August 7, Loughner had a hearing in which he was judged competent. He pleaded guilty to 19 counts, and in November 2012 was sentenced to life in prison.

Following the shooting, American and international politicians expressed grief and condemnations. Gun control advocates pushed for increased restrictions on the sale of firearms and ammunition, specifically high-capacity magazines.[18] Some commentators criticized the use of harsh political rhetoric in the United States, with a number blaming the political right wing for the shooting. In particular, Sarah Palin was criticized for a poster by her political action committee that featured stylized crosshairs on an electoral map which included Giffords. Palin rejected claims that she bore any responsibility for the shooting."

What is it with the selective outrage from people like you and MTIOTF? Are you both really this ignorant of HISTORY?

Is this like when you broke all your Dixie Chicks records? You REALLY believe that "boycotts" are a tool that people on the Left invented? How old are you?

Next, you'll be telling us that the shooting of Steve Scalise (while regrettable) is somehow the premier example of political violence in the 21st Century. Gabby Giffords says hi...

"On January 8, 2011, U.S. Representative Gabby Giffords and 18 others were shot during a constituent meeting held in a supermarket parking lot in Casas Adobes, Arizona, in the Tucson metropolitan area. Six people died, including federal District Court Chief Judge John Roll; Gabe Zimmerman, one of Giffords' staffers; and a 9-year-old girl, Christina-Taylor Green.[7][8][9][10][11] Giffords was holding the meeting, called "Congress on Your Corner", in the parking lot of a Safeway store when Jared Lee Loughner drew a pistol and shot her in the head before proceeding to fire on other people.[8][9] One additional person was injured in the immediate aftermath of the shooting.[12] News reports identified the target of the attack to be Giffords, a Democrat representing Arizona's 8th congressional district.[8] She was shot through the head at point-blank range, and her medical condition was initially described as "critical".[8][9]

Loughner, a 22-year-old Tucson man who was fixated on Giffords, was arrested at the scene.[13] Federal prosecutors filed five charges against him, including the attempted assassination of a member of Congress and the assassination of a federal judge.[10][14][15] Loughner previously had been arrested once (but not convicted) on a minor drug charge[16] and had been suspended by his college for disruptive behavior. Court filings include notes handwritten by Loughner indicating he planned to assassinate Giffords.[14] Loughner did not cooperate with authorities, invoking his right to remain silent.[9] He was held without bail and indicted on 49 counts. In January 2012, Loughner was found by a federal judge to be incompetent to stand trial based on two medical evaluations, which diagnosed him with paranoid schizophrenia.[17] On August 7, Loughner had a hearing in which he was judged competent. He pleaded guilty to 19 counts, and in November 2012 was sentenced to life in prison.

Following the shooting, American and international politicians expressed grief and condemnations. Gun control advocates pushed for increased restrictions on the sale of firearms and ammunition, specifically high-capacity magazines.[18] Some commentators criticized the use of harsh political rhetoric in the United States, with a number blaming the political right wing for the shooting. In particular, Sarah Palin was criticized for a poster by her political action committee that featured stylized crosshairs on an electoral map which included Giffords. Palin rejected claims that she bore any responsibility for the shooting."

Boycotts are undoubtedly employed more by woke progressives then the right. At least in this day and age. I don’t really care what my shaving cream or my running shoes manufacturers think about anything.

And for the record I think all political boycotts are stupid, and the Dixie chicks sucked. But were far more outspoken then the bean and pillow CEO.

The Scalise/ Gifford tangent was just some weird pent up frustration by you. Don’t really want to address that.

what a snowflake
No not at all.

If that jackass, even today, said he supported Trump, gave an occasional interview and stayed out of politics and government I probably wouldn't care so much. But, only nine days after Trump's rioters trashed the Capitol, Lindell showed up at the White House today to repeat his previous requests for "martial law" to affect the election and to ask Trump to implement the Insurrection Act.

But he's got no political talent at all -- just an honorary college degree from Liberty University.

No not at all.

If that jackass, even today, said he supported Trump, gave an occasional interview and stayed out of politics and government I probably wouldn't care so much. But, only nine days after Trump's rioters trashed the Capitol, Lindell showed up at the White House today to repeat his previous requests for "martial law" to affect the election and to ask Trump to implement the Insurrection Act.

But he's got no political talent at all -- just an honorary college degree from Liberty University.

My advice to you. Trump will be gone in 5 days...........let go of the hate and spite. It’s no way to live a life.

Reactions: jet812 and DANC
Boycotts are undoubtedly employed more by woke progressives then the right. At least in this day and age. I don’t really care what my shaving cream or my running shoes manufacturers think about anything.

And for the record I think all political boycotts are stupid, and the Dixie chicks sucked. But were far more outspoken then the bean and pillow CEO.

The Scalise/ Gifford tangent was just some weird pent up frustration by you. Don’t really want to address that.
Uppity bus passengers in Montgomery, Alabama and the extreme left worldwide radicals who broke Apartheid in South Africa disagree.

I do agree with you about the Scalise/Gifford tangent - not sure where that connects with boycotts.

Uppity bus passengers in Montgomery, Alabama and the extreme left worldwide radicals who broke Apartheid in South Africa disagree.

I do agree with you about the Scalise/Gifford tangent - not sure where that connects with boycotts.

You over there jabbering about Montgomery Bus Boycotts and apartheid? Do you think people boycotting beans and pillows because their CEO’s were nice to Trump is equally as noble?

This is obviously a matter of opinion but one set of boycotts helped change the world and make it more just. The other set just seems silly.

But who knows maybe one day we’ll look back with the benefit of hindsight and realize boycotting the beans and pillows really did push forward civil rights.

I recall when you guys blamed me for that.

So .. see my new thread

You over there jabbering about Montgomery Bus Boycotts and apartheid? Do you think people boycotting beans and pillows because their CEO’s were nice to Trump is equally as noble?

This is obviously a matter of opinion but one set of boycotts helped change the world and make it more just. The other set just seems silly.

But who knows maybe one day we’ll look back with the benefit of hindsight and realize boycotting the beans and pillows really did push forward civil rights.
Boycotts are a perfectly peaceful and democratic way to express political views, whether it's the Dixie Chicks or Goya beans. In the wild, wild West post-Citizens United era of unlimited influence buying, people have a right to cut the flow of their hard-earned cash to people who are turning that cash over to politicians working against their interests. Nobody is forced to join. We all have a right to choose where our money goes. Businesses have a right to openly support politicians or political causes, but they have no right to expect the people who disagree with them to give them their hard-earned cash. We all have a right to free expression, but we need to understand that free expression might mean consequences.

I don't boycott every business I disagree with. I eat at Chic-fil-A, I shop at Home Depot. I have no problem with the owners/founders of these businesses expressing opinions. But I won't condemn people who choose not to, just like I won't condemn people who quit buying tickets to NFL games or Dixie Chicks concerts . OTOH, I reserve the right to not spend a penny at Hobby Lobby if those assholes want to deny basic healthcare coverage to female employees, or vindictively lay off employees in a childish fit over pandemic restrictions.

Protest is a cornerstone of democracy and it can take many forms. As long as it's voluntary and peaceful, it deserves respect.

Boycotts are a perfectly peaceful and democratic way to express political views, whether it's the Dixie Chicks or Goya beans. In the wild, wild West post-Citizens United era of unlimited influence buying, people have a right to cut the flow of their hard-earned cash to people who are turning that cash over to politicians working against their interests. Nobody is forced to join. We all have a right to choose where our money goes. Businesses have a right to openly support politicians or political causes, but they have no right to expect the people who disagree with them to give them their hard-earned cash. We all have a right to free expression, but we need to understand that free expression might mean consequences.

I don't boycott every business I disagree with. I eat at Chic-fil-A, I shop at Home Depot. I have no problem with the owners/founders of these businesses expressing opinions. But I won't condemn people who choose not to, just like I won't condemn people who quit buying tickets to NFL games or Dixie Chicks concerts . OTOH, I reserve the right to not spend a penny at Hobby Lobby if those assholes want to deny basic healthcare coverage to female employees, or vindictively lay off employees in a childish fit over pandemic restrictions.

Protest is a cornerstone of democracy and it can take many forms. As long as it's voluntary and peaceful, it deserves respect.

Absolutely. Silly people can boycott whoever or wherever they want, I agree. I just don’t want anyone getting mistaken for the idea that there is anything noble in what they’re doing.

And why would you shop at Hobby Lobby? You a chick?

Absolutely. Silly people can boycott whoever or wherever they want, I agree. I just don’t want anyone getting mistaken for the idea that there is anything noble in what they’re doing.

And why would you shop at Hobby Lobby? You a chick?
Nope. That's the position of the "woke" twenty-something daughters, who successfully shamed their mother into supporting their position. I support it because HL is only 10 miles away and convenient for the wife's shopping. Michael's is another twenty minutes away and much more out of the way.

Full disclosure. Less Hobby Lobby without more Michael's is a win for my wallet (though I expect the missus still sneaks in when she has a true need for crafty shit). But I do agree that the owners of HL are sanctimonious a-holes undeserving of my financial resources. ;)

Reactions: UncleMark
Nope. That's the position of the "woke" twenty-something daughters, who successfully shamed their mother into supporting their position. I support it because HL is only 10 miles away and convenient for the wife's shopping. Michael's is another twenty minutes away and much more out of the way.
You must live in Brown Co. or thereabouts.

My advice to you. Trump will be gone in 5 days...........let go of the hate and spite. It’s no way to live a life.

He still has four days to release that big, beautiful health care plan that was going to be revealed in two weeks last July.

I believe him!

Reactions: largemouth
You're far too optimistic to claim "Trump will be gone in 5 days." Trump will not be gone in 5 days -- he will keep right on spewing.

It will be easier to ignore you than to ignore Trump.

Reactions: largemouth

Full disclosure. Less Hobby Lobby without more Michael's is a win for my wallet (though I expect the missus still sneaks in when she has a true need for crafty shit). But I do agree that the owners of HL are sanctimonious a-holes undeserving of my financial resources. ;)

lord knows I don’t support the religiousness of CFA, but I’ll be damned if I pass up their service and food for any alternative.

Scalise and Giffords barely relate to each other if you are trying to make the point about politics being the cause of the violence. Loughner had no real discernible political leanings, he was just a nut. The Palin crosshair stuff is nonsense. Those graphics and that terminology have been used for years by both sides and the media talks of crosshairs and targeting all the time. That was just a smear campaign.

img.jpg

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
lord knows I don’t support the religiousness of CFA, but I’ll be damned if I pass up their service and food for any alternative.
They could probably print a full-blown manifesto advocating the overthrow of the government and I'd still buy a chicken sandwich and frozen lemonade. I can overlook a lot for something that good ;)

Their fries suck. Spicy chicken sandwich though. Plus it’s the most well packaged drive thru food ever.

agreed. Salads underrated but more importantly, kids meal of grilled nuggets and fruit cannot be beat

Dude, take a break.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
I bought one 8 or 9 years ago, when Lindell was still a junkie (loved it and have bought a couple since).

I assume that would have been OK to buy then?

Loughner, a 22-year-old Tucson man who was fixated on Giffords, was arrested at the scene.[13] Federal prosecutors filed five charges against him, including the attempted assassination of a member of Congress and the assassination of a federal judge.[10][14][15] Loughner previously had been arrested once (but not convicted) on a minor drug charge[16] and had been suspended by his college for disruptive behavior. Court filings include notes handwritten by Loughner indicating he planned to assassinate Giffords.[14] Loughner did not cooperate with authorities, invoking his right to remain silent.[9] He was held without bail and indicted on 49 counts. In January 2012, Loughner was found by a federal judge to be incompetent to stand trial based on two medical evaluations, which diagnosed him with paranoid schizophrenia.[17] On August 7, Loughner had a hearing in which he was judged competent. He pleaded guilty to 19 counts, and in November 2012 was sentenced to li
"Some commentators criticized the use of harsh political rhetoric in the United States, with a number blaming the political right wing for the shooting. "

Well, there you have it! if 'some commentators blamed the political right wing, it MUST be political!

Nice attempt at "whataboutism".

You're far too optimistic to claim "Trump will be gone in 5 days." Trump will not be gone in 5 days -- he will keep right on spewing.

It will be easier to ignore you than to ignore Trump.
Dang that 1st Amendment!

No home cooking? 😩
Oh I love home cooking also. I'm a fan of good food regardless of its origin, and my ample belly is proof of such. The wife is a great cook and I'm not bad myself. We've been married almost 40 years so it goes without saying that we will both put up with a lot for a good meal. :)

Reactions: iuwclurker
ADVERTISEMENT