ADVERTISEMENT

My only disappointment during this great season

Dec 21, 2020
When I was really young, I remember my dad going to Bloomington for IU football games. I also remember his repeating cheers like "Go-go Gonzo." If he wasn't at the games, he was at home listening to the games on the radio. Living in Lafayette, he had many ongoing good-natured banters with friends and coworkers.

In the mid-70s, I started to develop my dad's love of IU football. That shared love became one of the things in life that kept my dad and I close through the years.

My dad made the drive down to Bloomington for all the IU football games from the mid-80s through the mid-2000s, when his health wouldn't allow him to continue making the trips. He still faithfully watched the IU games at every opportunity. For me, this was a blessing because it allowed me to call him before, during and after each game for lengthy discussions on the game. Even though I live in Texas, those calls always meant so much.

In the fall of 2019, my dad had a stroke that lead to dementia. When I called to talk about the games and tell him IU football was beginning to become pretty good, it barely registered in his fading mind. My wife and I drove from Fort Worth to Jacksonville for the Gator Bowl and had a really good time. Still, there was something missing because my dad would have dearly loved to have been there with us cheering for our Hoosiers.

As for me, I dedicated this season to my dad and enjoy the season for both of us. While I have succeeded in that goal, it still feels a bit hollow because I want to make those phone calls but I can't. It is a tragedy for me that my dad is not able to finally enjoy seeing IU football being really good after all those years of unfulfilled hope and disappointment.

I will watch and cheer for IU football for the rest of my life not just because of my love for it, but because it will remind me of my dad and what we once shared.

My son and daughter developed a love for all things Hoosiers, visiting Bloomington & going to games. We have been able to enjoy this season together.

I am so sorry you are not able able to share this season with your dad. Know that he valued all of those conversations and times together as he watched you grow up.

When I was really young, I remember my dad going to Bloomington for IU football games. I also remember his repeating cheers like "Go-go Gonzo." If he wasn't at the games, he was at home listening to the games on the radio. Living in Lafayette, he had many ongoing good-natured banters with friends and coworkers.

In the mid-70s, I started to develop my dad's love of IU football. That shared love became one of the things in life that kept my dad and I close through the years.

My dad made the drive down to Bloomington for all the IU football games from the mid-80s through the mid-2000s, when his health wouldn't allow him to continue making the trips. He still faithfully watched the IU games at every opportunity. For me, this was a blessing because it allowed me to call him before, during and after each game for lengthy discussions on the game. Even though I live in Texas, those calls always meant so much.

In the fall of 2019, my dad had a stroke that lead to dementia. When I called to talk about the games and tell him IU football was beginning to become pretty good, it barely registered in his fading mind. My wife and I drove from Fort Worth to Jacksonville for the Gator Bowl and had a really good time. Still, there was something missing because my dad would have dearly loved to have been there with us cheering for our Hoosiers.

As for me, I dedicated this season to my dad and enjoy the season for both of us. While I have succeeded in that goal, it still feels a bit hollow because I want to make those phone calls but I can't. It is a tragedy for me that my dad is not able to finally enjoy seeing IU football being really good after all those years of unfulfilled hope and disappointment.

I will watch and cheer for IU football for the rest of my life not just because of my love for it, but because it will remind me of my dad and what we once shared.
Maybe the best thing I've ever read here.

Your dad raised a good son.

With only a few minor details changed, I could have written this about me and my dad too. IU football is about much much more than play on the gridiron. Thanks for sharing.

rsgates, thanks for the heartfelt post and I am sorry to hear about your dad as I know he loves those calls even if he doesn't seem to recognize what you are saying. As I age [I hope to have 20 more years] I am aware of how quickly life can change. I was hoping I could see IU being the #2 team in the B1G and ranked #7 in the country before my life made it so I wouldn't get to appreciate it. Hears to many more years of IU becoming a top team in the B1G.

One of the last outings with my father before he ended up in hospice was to an INDIANA Football game (Military Appreciation Day). //We used to listen to games on the radio together when we were within range of a signal..., so I thought he'd enjoy himself...\\ He was having trouble with his legs but shot right up to Attention when the Marines' Hymn was played and, of course, reprised that when the Star-Spangled Banner was played... That's one in a long line of cherished memories...

I'm a firm believer that "Love" Never dies...

Thanks for your post rsgates and condolences towards your loss...

In the fall of 2019, my dad had a stroke that lead to dementia. When I called to talk about the games and tell him IU football was beginning to become pretty good, it barely registered in his fading mind. My wife and I drove from Fort Worth to Jacksonville for the Gator Bowl and had a really good time. Still, there was something missing because my dad would have dearly loved to have been there with us cheering for our Hoosiers. -

Thank you for sharing your story. I come from 3 generations of IU grads and my 94 year old dad is still able to follow IU sports. I wanted two things for him - the Cubs to win the WS and IU football to turn around. We talk 4-5 times during IU sports & your post made me appreciate more the time that I spend with him. Thanks for posting..

ADVERTISEMENT