ADVERTISEMENT

My last frontier - RUSH

Warison

Hall of Famer
Dec 13, 2010
I used to get obsessed with bands. Like the definition of obsessed.

In high school I went through a huge Beatles and Dylan stage. Every Saturday I would by a Beatles CD, then Sunday I'd buy an early Dylan CD.

Then Nirvana.

Then I went through a Allman Brothers, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead into David Bowie stage. That frontier lasted about 10/15 years.

Over the years I've tried to get into this maniac obsession with other bands but they didn't have the catalog that I needed to qualify as complete obsession. Ex: JJ Cale, Black Crowes, Buckethead.

So I had really given up and thought at age 46, you're done discovering new/old stuff.

Until.... I found 2112. Where has this been my entire life. Sure I was more than aware of Tom Sawyer and Limelight. But I had no idea this band was this good. Then weeks after 2112, I find, Beyond the Gilded Cage on The Netflix. I seriously couldn't blink.

I even listen to 80's RUSH at work. That's true obsession.

Anyway, it's like I'm 17 again and I literally can't get enough. I forgot I could feel this way about bands, and I certainly forgot I used to feel this way. What an escape ...

So tell me anything you know or like or hate about this band. I just want to talk about RUSH all day.

Or even bands you got completely obsessed over.

The drum solos!

I discovered them in the late 90s when Neil was going through his horrible family tragedies. Got to see them live for the first time in 2002 (Vapor Trails tour-Indy) and was blown away by the live show. Caught them 10 more times between then and their retirement in 2015. Best show ever was front row at Riverbend 2007.

Last edited:
Reactions: Warison

In high school I went through a huge Beatles and Dylan stage. Every Saturday I would by a Beatles CD, then Sunday I'd buy an early Dylan CD.

Then Nirvana.

Then I went through a Allman Brothers, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead into David Bowie stage. That frontier lasted about 10/15 years.

Over the years I've tried to get into this maniac obsession with other bands but they didn't have the catalog that I needed to qualify as complete obsession. Ex: JJ Cale, Black Crowes, Buckethead.

So I had really given up and thought at age 46, you're done discovering new/old stuff.

Until.... I found 2112. Where has this been my entire life. Sure I was more than aware of Tom Sawyer and Limelight. But I had no idea this band was this good. Then weeks after 2112, I find, Beyond the Gilded Cage on The Netflix. I seriously couldn't blink.

Anyway, it's like I'm 17 again and I literally can't get enough. I forgot I could feel this way about bands, and I certainly forgot I used to feel this way. What an escape ...

So tell me anything you know or like or hate about this band. I just want to talk about RUSH all day.

Back in the 70's I loved ELO. They were different than other bands and I really liked the violin and cello being used in rock music. On Youtube I have an ELO section and sometimes will put it on when I am on the treadmill.

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
You can stop after Moving Pictures.

BTW, there is a good documentary of the band...Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage.

GeddyHoosier ... hahahaha.. I just put that together. Awesome name dude.

Thanks! I started off as a Neil fan, but grew a little tired of his arrogance. Geddy then became the main attraction for me. Whenever I went to a show, I made sure to get seats on his side. Caught a T-shirt from him at Irvine Meadows in 2004 and still have it, even though it doesn't fit anymore.

At first I was attracted to Alex and that tone he has. I really like his sound and I can't quite figure out why. But now, yes, I'm all Geddy. That scream is just undeniable. I know a lot of people are put off by his voice, but I can't get enough. I'm quickly figuring out why I've never seen a RUSH cover band, who could sound like Geddy?

In 2001ish i heard Black Keys, and it was all i listened to for 2 months straight. This was when they were with fat possum, and nobody heard of them yet. It felt like i looked thru a telescope and found an undiscovered planet full of busty lesbians...which i didn't tell anybody for a few months

Then Nirvana.

As a really old fart, I hate everything about this band.:rolleyes:
And I imagine you hate most everything I listen to, eh?

How are you Warison? I was thinking about you recently, don't worry, nothing dirty.

How are you and the tribe?

Ziz! Hey man, we're doing alright. We're embedded in Fort Wayne pretty good now. Our 8 year wedding anniversary is next week. We have 2 boys, ages 6 and 3. My hands are full.

We moved to the Fort about 6 years ago and at first I was secretly pretty disturbed about leaving Btown, but now that life has taken over the Fort's been pretty good to us. I'm happy here. Hell all I do now is try to avoid stepping on Lego's and retire to the garage, listen to my tunes and attempt to play them on the guitar.

I stopped watching Indiana Basketball after the home loss to Nebraska last year. I didn't feel the need to keep torturing myself.

But yea Ziz, were doing alright man...

Ziz! Hey man, we're doing alright. We're embedded in Fort Wayne pretty good now. Our 8 year wedding anniversary is next week. We have 2 boys, ages 6 and 3. My hands are full.

We moved to the Fort about 6 years ago and at first I was secretly pretty disturbed about leaving Btown, but now that life has taken over the Fort's been pretty good to us. I'm happy here. Hell all I do now is try to avoid stepping on Lego's and retire to the garage, listen to my tunes and attempt to play them on the guitar.

I stopped watching Indiana Basketball after the home loss to Nebraska last year. I didn't feel the need to keep torturing myself.

But yea Ziz, were doing alright man...
Good to hear.

That's in Canada, right?

I'm quickly figuring out why I've never seen a RUSH cover band, who could sound like Geddy?

The guy from Triumph might need a new gig. BTW, I own this album on Vinyl, and I'll admit it. I also own "Flat as a Pancake" by Head East on vinyl. Judge all you want..

Another Geddy replacement:

The guy from Triumph might need a new gig. BTW, I own this album on Vinyl, and I'll admit it. I also own "Flat as a Pancake" by Head East on vinyl. Judge all you want..

saw Triumph at MSA in Indy back in the day, (liked the guitar thing in Fight The Good Fight, only band with laser light show i saw), Golden Earring was the opener when "Twilight Zone" was charting.

shared an apt with a friend with a van with an 8 track player and only one 8 track.

the Head East with "Save My Life" on it, so being the only 8 track and no radio reception, it got a lot of play on trips between Indy and Btown.

i think he said Head East had some Indy connection.

btw, always great to discover a new "obsession" level band.

i would consider Rush a change from the other bands you mentioned.

you're not going "progressive" on us are you?

sure, it starts innocently with a fringe prog band like Rush.

then you "experiment" with Kansas..

before your friends realize you've gone down that rabbit hole and can do an intervention, you've got King Crimson spinning on the turntable.

Last edited:
saw Triumph at MSA in Indy back in day, (only band with laser light show i saw), Golden Earring was the opener when "Twilight Zone" was charting.

shared an apt with a friend with a van with an 8 track player and only one 8 track.

the Head East with "Save My Life" on it, so being the only 8 track and no radio reception, it got a lot of play on trips between Indy and Btown.

According to Wikipedia, Head East was from Illinois. What I never knew is that the lead singer, John Schlitt, was kicked out due to his drug habit, cleaned up and later became the lead singer of Petra, a christian rock group. I guess god saved his life before he went down for the last time.

Reactions: kkott
According to Wikipedia, Head East was from Illinois. What I never knew is that the lead singer, John Schlitt, was kicked out due to his drug habit, cleaned up and later became the lead singer of Petra, a christian rock group. I guess god saved his life before he went down for the last time.

and if you head east from Illinois, are you not in Indy.

At first I was attracted to Alex and that tone he has. I really like his sound and I can't quite figure out why. But now, yes, I'm all Geddy. That scream is just undeniable. I know a lot of people are put off by his voice, but I can't get enough. I'm quickly figuring out why I've never seen a RUSH cover band, who could sound like Geddy?

I think you meant who would want to sound like Geddy.

Fan since the start. Like their early stuff up to Signals and their last discs best ... Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows, Clockwork Angels.

Last edited:
I have an older brother (8 years older) who was a bit of an audiophile. We unfortunately had to share a room for a while during the late 70's/early 80's. The stereo was his and he always got the latest albums... Grew up enjoying the energy of Rush and can still to this day 'air-drum' (with foot pedals) 'Tom Sawyer,' 'Red Barchetta,' 'Spirit of Radio,' 'YYZ,' and many more! LOL! I've seen them in concert many times and always enjoyed the shows. They were a true favorite of mine as a 10-13 year old.

I know there are many critics of them on this forum, but don't care... they were a fun part of my experience growing up and are definitely part of my life's soundtrack.

I also discovered the 'Grateful Dead' the day after I graduated from high school. I walked across the stage at Deer Creek to get my diploma the day before I went to their concert... Been a huge fan ever since that day! But I digress...

Oh, and one other thing... If you have ever seen the late 70's movie 'The Warriors,' the leader of the Rogues sings a little tune near the end... "Oh Warriors... Come Out To Play...," and also sounds like Geddy Lee!

Last edited:
saw Triumph at MSA in Indy back in the day, (liked the guitar thing in Fight The Good Fight, only band with laser light show i saw), Golden Earring was the opener when "Twilight Zone" was charting.

btw, always great to discover a new "obsession" level band.

i would consider Rush a change from the other bands you mentioned.

you're not going "progressive" on us are you?

sure, it starts innocently with a fringe prog band like Rush.

then you "experiment" with Kansas..

before your friends realize you've gone down that rabbit hole and can do an intervention, you've got King Crimson spinning on the turntable.

I effin hate Kansas. LOL. And I tend to hate bands that play with goofy time signatures. But there's something different about RUSH. It's like they check all the boxes. I like a screaming singer. I like riffs that sound like I need to go home and learn that immediately. And I like drums that don't quit. RUSH has it all for me.

For example: I don't really care for Pink Floyd. I find them excuciatingly boring. I've never heard a pink floyd song that I thought, I need to learn that.

That triumph dude is too polished. I need this kind of scream. Go to the 1:48 - 1:57 mark. Basically a 10 second scream. It's delicious. I would build a band around that scream. Make him the highest paid member of the band and carry his equipment.

What're other's opinions of Greta Van Fleet? Blantant Zep knockoff, but that lead singer can scream with the best of them and I really like their music. My son is a big fan as are some friends and a big group of us went this summer and they were impressive live.

What're other's opinions of Greta Van Fleet? Blantant Zep knockoff, but that lead singer can scream with the best of them and I really like their music. My son is a big fan as are some friends and a big group of us went this summer and they were impressive live.

At first I absolutely hated them. Like I thought it was a trick or something. Then they started growing on me. Now, I've got respect for them. I've listened to enough to fool myself that the singer doesn't sound exactly like Plant. Dudes got a scream, that's for sure.

I do however absolutely hate the band name. It's terrible. I know it's after some old lady that lives in their town and bla... but it's a terrible band name.

At first I absolutely hated them. Like I thought it was a trick or something. Then they started growing on me. Now, I've got respect for them. I've listened to enough to fool myself that the singer doesn't sound exactly like Plant. Dudes got a scream, that's for sure.

I do however absolutely hate the band name. It's terrible. I know it's after some old lady that lives in their town and bla... but it's a terrible band name.

If you get the chance to see them live, they were one of those bands I thought was much much better live. I already liked their music, but honestly it was one of my favorite concerts ever. Great music, outdoors, great night, great venue, great tailgate with my son and a bunch of friends and their sons too. That added to it, but even without all the personal and aesthetic touches, they rocked the entire venue. Everyone stood and was dancing, clapping and singing the entire concert almost.

Fan since the start. Like their early stuff up to Signals and their last discs best ... Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows, Clockwork Angels.

That's my timeline too. I bought Exit Stage Left on a lark when it came out. I was hooked and then bought everything that came before it. They lost me after Signals with all the synthy pop influences.
Picked them up again on Vapor Trails. I had no idea what had happened with Peart's wife and daughter. They were that far off my radar. I went to see them on snakes and again on the last time around.

My father in law was telling me about being in the pits with his Porsche club buddies who were running an endurance race at Thunderhill in an attempt to break a record for the number of cars in a race. He tells me the team next to them drove a bright yellow Aston Martin, had way too much fun and were all around good blokes. He told me one of the guys is in a rock band, but you'd never know it by looking at him. He proceeds to show me a few pics and in the background of one of the pics, I see Peart. LOL

http://www.neilpeart.net/index.php/space-for-news-items/bamm-bamm-and-lemon-slug/

Reactions: MaxCoke and kkott

Head East was popular when I was at IU like another Illinois- connected band (pre-Hi Fidelity) REO. They had a similar sound and both were extremely big in the Midwest. I liked both,but they were best listened to when you were getting high. What you might call Blue collar stoner Rock- at least among the people I knew...

REO was able to transcend their "Riding the Storm Out"/ Golden Country (largely) midwest appeal and branch out to wider acceptance and popularity internationally with Hi Fidelity.After being released in late 1980, Hi Fidelity contained 4 or 5 hit singles and reached # 1 on US album charts. It also charted thruout Europe reaching #5 in the UK and also top 20 in countires like the Netherlands,Denmark and Germany where I was. Lots of people who had never heard songs like Son of a Poor Man or Lightning became REO fans overnight...

Reactions: MaxCoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT