ADVERTISEMENT

My Guess: Hart to ND and...

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
Nick Sheridan moves to the RB's Coach slot.

The guy competing with Hart for the job missed his Thursday interview due to flight weather delays but something even as minor and unavoidable as that, combined with the fact that he (Lance Taylor) was just fired from his last (NFL) gig may be enough to nudge ND ever so slightly towards Hart...

We should know by Monday, one way or another.

The guy competing with Hart for the job missed his Thursday interview due to flight weather delays but something even as minor and unavoidable as that, combined with the fact that he (Lance Taylor) was just fired from his last (NFL) gig may be enough to nudge ND ever so slightly towards Hart...

lol no. Sheridan is a QB coach only. The new OC will be coaching TEs and Sheridan is staying put. If Hart leaves, then we will hire a true RB coach.

Taylor has more experience than Hart and also has NFL experience. Not to mention he was an absolute stud recruiter for Stanford. Quite a bit of difference between the two but it could be an opportunity for Hart to step up. Taylor comes with more of a price tag IMO.

Reactions: vesuvius13
lol no. Sheridan is a QB coach only. The new OC will be coaching TEs and Sheridan is staying put. If Hart leaves, then we will hire a true RB coach.

Well..., I always enjoy your posts and your insights which have nearly always proven to be accurate in regard to the current football team.

I personally find it disappointing to learn that our new OC is going to be coaching TE's when his coaching history is primarily QB's (and WR's early on). If that's the case however I'm sure he must be good with that arrangement. Hopefully it works out well...

Just as an aside, when we hired Sheridan it was from Central Michigan, where he was their..., wait for it..., Running Backs Coach...

///Here's hoping we can still find a way to bring Deboers compatriot Grubb here in some OL position (if Hart leaves for ND and leaves one of the 10 coaching slots open)...///

Last edited:
This is a reach. Our new OC would get to bring someone in.

Well..., I always enjoy your posts and your insights which have nearly always proven to be accurate in regard to the current football team.

I personally find it disappointing to learn that our new OC is going to be coaching TE's when his coaching history is primarily QB's (and WR's early on). If that's the case however I'm sure he must be good with that arrangement. Hopefully it works out well...

Just as an aside, when we hired Sheridan it was from Central Michigan, where he was their..., wait for it..., Running Backs Coach...

///Here's hoping we can still find a way to bring Deboers compatriot Grubb here in some OL position (if Hart leaves for ND and leaves one of the 10 coaching slots open)...///
In fairness, he had just taken the job at CMU and never really “coached” RB’s there, he played QB and has basically always coached the QB position. CTA just recently complimented him on his offensive mind and said he is perfect to coach the QB position. DeBord also gave Sheridan full credit for the success that Dobbs had at UT, I think he will stay at QB coach.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1

Our new OC did coach WRs but coaching TEs isn't much different in all honesty especially in the offensive sets we will use. WRs must block and run routes, same as TEs, and many times TEs line up wide as well.

I have not heard anything about Grubb coming to IU. I know several posters have generated that rumor but I see no big reason for him to come unless theirs an opening at OL coach and it doesn't sound like Hiller is leaving. Coaching OL and RB is a pretty big difference. Just because Grubb was a running game coordinator doesn't mean he worked a lot with RBs. The RB coach was part of that meeting but being a Run game coordinator is almost all about blocking schemes against the opponents defensive alignments that you see on tape.

In fairness, he had just taken the job at CMU and never really “coached” RB’s there, he played QB and has basically always coached the QB position. CTA just recently complimented him on his offensive mind and said he is perfect to coach the QB position. DeBord also gave Sheridan full credit for the success that Dobbs had at UT, I think he will stay at QB coach.

I'll have to defer to Tom Allen on this one.

I really thought the new OC was going to coach QB's too... If that's not the case, I'm certain he must be good with that decision...

Here's hoping the results (an increase in points on the board) bares out TA's & Deboers confidence in Sheridan as QB's coach...

When coordinators have a position duties, its frequently "in-name-only" with a grad assistant doing most of the position specific work (coordinator will do general mentoring to players and oversee the GA). When DeBord was at Tenn, he was listed as OC/QB coach, but was quoted as saying that Sheridan was effectively the QB coach

Guessing this is the guy that took on most of the TE coaching duties last year and will again this year.
https://iuhoosiers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2612&path=football

Our new OC did coach WRs but coaching TEs isn't much different in all honesty especially in the offensive sets we will use. WRs must block and run routes, same as TEs, and many times TEs line up wide as well.

I have not heard anything about Grubb coming to IU. I know several posters have generated that rumor but I see no big reason for him to come unless theirs an opening at OL coach and it doesn't sound like Hiller is leaving. Coaching OL and RB is a pretty big difference. Just because Grubb was a running game coordinator doesn't mean he worked a lot with RBs. The RB coach was part of that meeting but being a Run game coordinator is almost all about blocking schemes against the opponents defensive alignments that you see on tape.

Whoever coaches the RB's position I hope they're able to teach pass blocking rules & techniques to our young Backs and how to consistently hang onto the football.

There's far, far too much raw talent at that position to leave them on the bench because they struggle with their "protections"..., or haven't mastered basic ball security techniques...

When coordinators have a position duties, its frequently "in-name-only" with a grad assistant doing most of the position specific work (coordinator will do general mentoring to players and oversee the GA). When DeBord was at Tenn, he was listed as OC/QB coach, but was quoted as saying that Sheridan was effectively the QB coach

Guessing this is the guy that took on most of the TE coaching duties last year and will again this year.
https://iuhoosiers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2612&path=football

I'm good with that. He was a solid player.

The main reason I like the idea of Grubb coming here in any capacity was his being with Deboer at each of his "greatest hits" (his major turn around at Fresno and his incredible run at Sioux Falls)... With those results, I'd want to keep that duet together...

Yeah. Ronnie Walker was here for spring and Scott wasn't but Walker struggled.

Whoever coaches the RB's position I hope they're able to teach pass blocking rules & techniques to our young Backs and how to consistently hang onto the football.

There's far, far too much raw talent at that position to leave them on the bench because they struggle with their "protections"..., or haven't mastered basic ball security techniques...

That was a head scratcher...

Really, really, hated seeing those fumbles last fall too...
It's a relatively common problem. Those stud running backs are getting 40 carries a game in high school. Often their teams have limited passing games - mostly because they're giving the ball to aforementioned stud running back who the other team can't stop. They come to college with some undeveloped skills ( pass blocking, receiving) and some bad habits (loose with the football, lack of ability to run through contact, footwork issues, etc.). Some adapt quickly, others struggle.

You see the same thing with basketball players. You see the same problems when great college players first get to the professional level. Sometimes the greatest obstacle to overcome is your own talent because it allowed you to dominate at lower levels without completely developing the skills and techniques necessary to succeed at the next level.

It's a relatively common problem. Those stud running backs are getting 40 carries a game in high school. Often their teams have limited passing games - mostly because they're giving the ball to aforementioned stud running back who the other team can't stop. They come to college with some undeveloped skills ( pass blocking, receiving) and some bad habits (loose with the football, lack of ability to run through contact, footwork issues, etc.). Some adapt quickly, others struggle.

You see the same thing with basketball players. You see the same problems when great college players first get to the professional level. Sometimes the greatest obstacle to overcome is your own talent because it allowed you to dominate at lower levels without completely developing the skills and techniques necessary to succeed at the next level.

That's understandable, what's difficult to grasp (for me anyway) is how a full time, highly paid, professional RB's coach doesn't find a way to correct those deficiencies rather rapidly...

Reactions: syddasloth
That's understandable, what's difficult to grasp (for me anyway) is how a full time, highly paid, professional RB's coach doesn't find a way to correct those deficiencies rather rapidly...
You would think so, but a lifetime of coaching high school basketball has taught me otherwise. Teaching man-to-man defensive technique in basketball is a great example. A select few kids immediately get it, even as freshmen. Most take longer. Nearly everyone improves with experience, but it takes drill work, live action, and film study for most to become really proficient. Some kids, even some really athletically-talented kids, never catch on or struggle to completely figure it out.

My take on it, after years of coaching (and having similar experience teaching in the classroom) is that the most important thing is the ability of the kid to effectively focus on the task at hand. Some kids really struggle to concentrate over an extended period of time without reverting to comfortable (often bad) habits. Maturity is a big part of it. There is a lot of truth to the idea of "learning readiness". One of my daughters barely passed Geometry as a high school sophomore . I made her take it over and as a junior she got an A. To this day she is baffled as to why it was so hard the first time and so easy the second.

Taylor has more experience than Hart and also has NFL experience. Not to mention he was an absolute stud recruiter for Stanford. Quite a bit of difference between the two but it could be an opportunity for Hart to step up. Taylor comes with more of a price tag IMO.
perhaps if we lose hart we can get taylor?

perhaps if we lose hart we can get taylor?
Lets just see what happens. If Hart leaves CTA and DeBoer prolly have plenty of options. I doubt they have connections with Taylor, maybe I'm wrong but Taylor could prolly land at a pretty high profile destination.

if we lose Hart maybe CTA could go after someone like L.Marks or J. Hunter

or make a run at Andre Powell, though he might turn out to be too expensive...

Reactions: 76-1
if we lose Hart maybe CTA could go after someone like L.Marks or J. Hunter

or make a run at Andre Powell, though he might turn out to be too expensive...

Would enjoy seeing Andre end up here. He's done well for himself... He wouldn't put up with fumbling or blown pass pro...;)

Would enjoy seeing Andre end up here. He's done well for himself... He wouldn't put up with fumbling or blown pass pro...;)
frankly, he should've already been named OC at some school long before now IMO

You would think so, but a lifetime of coaching high school basketball has taught me otherwise. Teaching man-to-man defensive technique in basketball is a great example. A select few kids immediately get it, even as freshmen. Most take longer. Nearly everyone improves with experience, but it takes drill work, live action, and film study for most to become really proficient. Some kids, even some really athletically-talented kids, never catch on or struggle to completely figure it out.

My take on it, after years of coaching (and having similar experience teaching in the classroom) is that the most important thing is the ability of the kid to effectively focus on the task at hand. Some kids really struggle to concentrate over an extended period of time without reverting to comfortable (often bad) habits. Maturity is a big part of it. There is a lot of truth to the idea of "learning readiness". One of my daughters barely passed Geometry as a high school sophomore . I made her take it over and as a junior she got an A. To this day she is baffled as to why it was so hard the first time and so easy the second.

Repetition and readiness often travel as a pair, don’t they? Ironically, I had the exact same experience with geometry in high school as your daughter did. You have enlightening insights about how students learn, or don’t. I do hope that whoever coaches our RBs this year are able to reach their pupils when teaching techniques of blocking, protection, ball security, etc. And, most importantly, those students are ready and willing to absorb and do the work necessary to apply those skills to the playing field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT