ADVERTISEMENT

My favorite from Garth

We all like who we like. But god I hate Garth.
A buddy raved to me 20+ years ago about this new guy he'd seen at the KY State Fair. Played Friends in Low Places 3X he said. Funny song, that was probably his high water mark for me... well, actually Rodeo, and I still like both those songs. In hindsight, Garth probably exemplifies all that's wrong with country music. Clever writing, slick production... formula music, and that has been the recipe Kenny Chesney and most of Nashville has followed since.

Reactions: IU40IU
I understand the frustration with Garth. He's not my cup of tea either, but I do like this song a lot.

Big country music guy here... country radio sucks... check out Cody Jinks new live cd... or anything else he has put out...

Reactions: kkott
I grew up with country music in the late 40s, early 50s. Then rock. Didn't pay a lot of attention to country since "my" artists were no longer played much. Then the Dixie Chicks spoke a little truth and country radio turned on them. Almost all the country stars of the time chickened out rather than support them. Now I only have contempt for most of the modern country industry.

A buddy raved to me 20+ years ago about this new guy he'd seen at the KY State Fair. Played Friends in Low Places 3X he said. Funny song, that was probably his high water mark for me... well, actually Rodeo, and I still like both those songs. In hindsight, Garth probably exemplifies all that's wrong with country music. Clever writing, slick production... formula music, and that has been the recipe Kenny Chesney and most of Nashville has followed since.
He gave an interview in a guitar magazine that ripped the Nashville formula. I wouldn't doubt he was fined. fwiw - It started before him... Chet Atkins was probably the main innovator turning Nashville into a music factory with cheap products. He was a traitor to music ..

Garth had to wear a cowboy hat for public appearances. it was part of his contract. lmao ..

A friend of mine who is a session whore and has played bass for a few asshats with giant belt buckles and too tight pants, was fined for not smiling and dancing enough. Another was fined for getting a haircut that didn't fit with the "Nashville Image":..

It's manufactured disposable formulaic shit for musically clueless slack jawed rubes.

Last edited:
Now I only have contempt for most of the modern country industry.
Nashville isn't country. It's pop music using hillbilly instrumentation and fake accents. ie they wear a hat, add a banjo and sing through their nose. The songs themselves are pop.

There's a lot of good country music currently but it's on independent labels out of Austin, Memphis .. etc

He gave an interview in a guitar magazine that ripped the Nashville formula. I wouldn't doubt he was fined. fwiw - It started before him... Chet Atkins was probably the main innovator turning Nashville into a music factory with cheap products. He was a traitor to music ..

Garth had to wear a cowboy hat for public appearances. it was part of his contract. lmao ..

A friend of mine who is a session whore and has played bass for a few asshats with giant belt buckles and too tight pants, was fined for not smiling and dancing enough. Another was fined for getting a haircut that didn't fit with the "Nashville Image":..

It's manufactured disposable formulaic shit for musically clueless slack jawed rubes.
A bunch of west coast record execs decided to leave LA when things started to stagnate in the 90's. They landed on music row and accelerated the demise and "popification" of country music.

Like you said in your other post, actual country music still exists, it's just not on the big labels.

When live music starts up again, you definitely owe it to yourself to go see Todd Snider. Drink some beers, laugh at his stories and enjoy the music.
You been listening to his 1st Agnostic Church of Hope and Wonder on Sunday’s? I usually throw it on live on YouTube while making brunch.

You been listening to his 1st Agnostic Church of Hope and Wonder on Sunday’s? I usually throw it on live on YouTube while making brunch.
I haven't. Didn't even know about it. I'll have to look it up and listen.

I grew up with country music in the late 40s, early 50s. Then rock. Didn't pay a lot of attention to country since "my" artists were no longer played much. Then the Dixie Chicks spoke a little truth and country radio turned on them. Almost all the country stars of the time chickened out rather than support them. Now I only have contempt for most of the modern country industry.
Your Post reminds me of the scene from "The Blues Brothers" Movie where Belushi drives the band around until they see a Bar advertising a Musical Group. They walk in to the Bar to high jack the gig. and Belushi asks the Woman what kind of Music they have. To which she replies: "we have both kinds - Country and Western."

Reactions: largemouth
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT