ADVERTISEMENT

My experience with Covid-19 in Mexico

DrHoops

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001
I have spent the last 17 days/18 nights in Tulum, Mexico (I recommend a Jr. Suite at The Beach. Amazing hotel). I was amazed at how much more seriously the Mexican people and local government treat this virus vs our idiotic government.

First, you you have to fill out an online form before you leave detailing your contacts with anyone having Covid-19. That’s before you even leave to fly there. Secondly, they take your temperature on arrival at Immigration. Everyone has a mask on. You cannot get into ANY restaurant (which are all open air, by the way. Nothing enclosed at all) without having your temperature checked. Even a little outdoor taco stand/bar took my temperature before I could belly up. You are not allowed in public without a mask. No walking down the street without a mask. The police drive down the road every hour or so announcing that everyone is to wear a mask. Even the drug dealers who are lingering around are wearing masks. Before you leave, you fill out a similar online questionnaire about your contacts in Mexico.

So, on my return through Immigration in the US, I went through Global Entry, no one took my temperature, no questions asked. Nothing. Yet, even though the United States has 1/4 of Covid-19 cases globally, they have the gall to exclude Mexicans from traveling to the US! It’s shocking, actually.

The coup de grâs though, was jumping in the cab to get home. I was wearing my mask, but the driver wasn’t. He immediately said Covid-19 is a hoax and he refuses to wear a mask. Then he said 500,000 people die of the flu in the US every year. He was only off by about 99%. I can just imagine the guy listening to right wing radio all day long.

Great to be back in the wealthiest and most advanced country in the world. What a joke.

Last edited:
I have spent the last 17 days/18 nights in Tulum, Mexico (I recommend a Jr. Suite at The Beach. Amazing hotel). I was amazed at how much more seriously the Mexican people and local government treat this virus vs our idiotic government.

First, you you have to fill out an online form before you leave detailing your contacts with anyone having Covid-19. That’s before you even leave to fly there. Secondly, they take your temperature on arrival at Immigration. Everyone has a mask on. You cannot get into ANY restaurant (which are all open air, by the way. Nothing enclosed at all) without having your temperature checked. Even a little outdoor taco stand/bar took my temperature before I could belly up. You are not allowed in public without a mask. No walking down the street without a mask. The police drive down the road every hour or so announcing that everyone is to wear a mask. Even the drug dealers who are lingering around are wearing masks. Before you leave, you fill out a similar online questionnaire about your contacts in Mexico.

So, on my return through Immigration in the US, I went through Global Entry, no one took my temperature, no questions asked. Nothing. Yet, even though the United States has 1/4 of Covid-19 cases globally, they have the gall to exclude Mexicans from traveling to the US! It’s shocking, actually.

The coup de grâs, though was jumping in the cab to get home. I was wearing my mask, but the driver wasn’t. He immediately said Covid-19 is a hoax and he refuses to wear a mask. Then he said 500,000 people die of the flu in the US every year. He was only off by about 99%. I can just imagine the guy listening to right wing radio all day long.

Great to be back in the wealthiest and most advanced country in the world. What a joke.
I would have gotten out of cab. I gave a mask to my Uber driver the other day.

The coup de grâs, though was jumping in the cab to get home. I was wearing my mask, but he wasn’t. He immediately said Covid-19 is a hoax and he refuses to wear a mask. Then he said 500,000 people die of the flu in the US every year. He was only off by about 99%. I can just imagine the guy listening to right wing radio all day long.

Great to be back in the wealthiest and advanced country in the world!!!

They (the rubes) seriously believe that the vast majority of the medical and scientific community, with a vast majority of the media, and a vast majority of world leaders are in on the 'hoax' .. because they all hate Trump.

That is so asinine and tin foil hat that it's incomprehensible how f**king stupid someone would have to be to believe that sh*t.

Americans are exceptional at being stupid.

The coup de grâs, though was jumping in the cab to get home. I was wearing my mask, but the driver wasn’t. He immediately said Covid-19 is a hoax and he refuses to wear a mask. Then he said 500,000 people die of the flu in the US every year. He was only off by about 99%. I can just imagine the guy listening to right wing radio all day long.

Welcome back tot those "super safe" "no problems at all" Chicago streets

lol

They (the rubes) seriously believe that the vast majority of the medical and scientific community, with a vast majority of the media, and a vast majority of world leaders are in on the 'hoax' .. because they all hate Trump.

That is so asinine and tin foil hat that it's incomprehensible how f**king stupid someone would have to be to believe that sh*t.

you’re borderline spectrum aren’t you?

Reactions: IUSUMMERS
Trump is now blaming the Texas spike on Mexicans coming over the border, but that will stop soon when he finishes the Wall in a few weeks. He said that.

I can’t tell you how many people I see that say the virus will be over after the election. The stupidity.

I’m amazed we’ve made it this far. If Trump wins again this country is finished.

Reactions: Morrison
I’m sorry you’re having problems.

You may want to try responding to the relevant thread. That way you might have a better idea of what the term means. Poor guy.

You might wanna look that term up.

My posts perfectly followed the previous discussion you had about the safety of the Chicago streets.

I’m sorry you’re having problems.

You may want to try responding to the relevant thread. That way you might have a better idea of what the term means. Poor guy.

Both threads are relevant. And I know what the term means which is why I tried to help you out.

Hope this helps

Both threads are relevant. And I know what the term means which is why I tried to help you out.

Hope this helps

One thread about how Covid-19 is being handled in Mexico and another talking about Chicago looting are relevant?

I don’t think you do know the term. And no..it doesn’t help in the least. As usual, you add absolutely zero to any topic. Your response to this thread is shockingly no different.

Buzz off.

One thread about how Covid-19 is being handled in Mexico and another talking about Chicago looting are relevant?

I don’t think you do know the term. And no..it doesn’t help in the least. As usual, you add absolutely zero to any topic. Your response to this thread is shockingly no different.

Buzz off.

My contributions to discussions here dwarf yours and always have if for no other reason than I bring objective thought and bigger picture perspective. You are a shallow and narrow parrot and one that uses terms he doesn't understand to boot.

It isn't difficult to look up the term Sparky.

Hope this helps

The coup de grâs though, was jumping in the cab to get home. I was wearing my mask, but the driver wasn’t. He immediately said Covid-19 is a hoax and he refuses to wear a mask. Then he said 500,000 people die of the flu in the US every year. He was only off by about 99%. I can just imagine the guy listening to right wing radio all day long.

That's how it is in most successful countries. Plus over here you are scanned (for contact tracing) -- with your ID and get your temp taken whenever you enter a supermarket, pet store or bank etc. The shopekeepers cant sell you things or you cant enter a shop unless you have a mask. In fact you cant leave the house without a mask -- I think there's a $200 fine. Been like this since Feb or early March.

If you are visiting Singapore, or if I travel and return, I will need to be wearing a GPS bracelet for yout 14-day quarantine period.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...s-to-singapore-on-stay-home-notice-outside-of

Last edited:
Reactions: DrHoops
Trump is now blaming the Texas spike on Mexicans coming over the border, but that will stop soon when he finishes the Wall in a few weeks. He said that.

I said this months ago -- you need to implement the key measures from masking to social distancing and ensuring the healthcare system doesn't hit capacity --- but also the comms strategy to implement them has to go hand in hand.

But instead...

Buzz off.
Dare not argue with Mr Bipartisian Objective. His contributions dwarf everyone here, don’t ya know? Got a bit of that Trump narcissism in him, I’m afraid.

I said this months ago -- you need to implement the key measures from masking to social distancing and ensuring the healthcare system doesn't hit capacity --- but also the comms strategy to implement them has to go hand in hand.

But instead...

Have to remember. We’re a different animal. 350 million strong (or weak whatever). Looting in the streets of chicago and everywhere else. Riding motorcycles at sturgis. Drinking at 600 people house parties. Fighting in Costco with a guy making $9 an hour over the right to not wear a mask. The difference, the dispositive difference, is we’re americans - and we’re not conducive to government strictures. Sucks.

I hear that shit everyday and it seems to be the majority.

Have to remember. We’re a different animal. 350 million strong (or weak whatever). Looting in the streets of chicago and everywhere else. Riding motorcycles at sturgis. Drinking at 600 people house parties. Fighting in Costco with a guy making $9 an hour over the right to not wear a mask. The difference, the dispositive difference, is we’re americans - and we’re not conducive to government strictures. Sucks.

What you described sounds more like overgrown teenagers or ageing frat boys. I am a lot more optimistic than that.

People can be shaped/influenced to recognised the seriousness of the pandemic and not treat it like some hoax. If that was done early, like other disasters or catastrophes, good leadership can bring the country together in working towards a common goal.

But the last few years was all about divide and conquer -- and this is what you are seeing.

What you described sounds more like overgrown teenagers or ageing frat boys. I am a lot more optimistic than that.

People can be shaped/influenced to recognised the seriousness of the pandemic and not treat it like some hoax. If that was done early, like other disasters or catastrophes, good leadership can bring the country together in working towards a common goal.

But the last few years was all about divide and conquer -- and this is what you are seeing.
I’m gonna have to disagree. You vastly overestimate the intellect of Americans and underestimate the selfishness of same. We are uniquely situated to F this up. We will never all row together.

You are spot on. The only solution I can see is doing away with political presidential primary's. Maybe we would get better candidates if you had to get involved with the parties. The Republican's danced with the devil when they welcomed Dixiecrats and courted Evangelicals. Maybe an old Democrat could explain to me how the majority party of Roosevelt morphed into a party that couldn't beat Bozo the Clown.

Reactions: Bill4411
I’m gonna have to disagree. You vastly overestimate the intellect of Americans and underestimate the selfishness of same. We are uniquely situated to F this up. We will never all row together.

Its not good going forward if you are correct. Has the system been irrevocably broken?

Its not good going forward if you are correct. Has the system been irrevocably broken?
I don’t know. I didn’t know we had this many crazy people. This many people who think it’s a hoax etc. this many selfish people.

I agree with this entire post. The Republicans danced with the devil when they welcomed the Dixiecrats and courted the Christian Evangelicals. Maybe some one can explain to me how the majority party of Roosevelt could loose to Bozo the Clown. I am completely bummed out. I am now openly suggesting that both parties do away with the presidential primaries and return to party leadership choosing the candidates.

Last edited:
My contributions to discussions here dwarf yours and always have if for no other reason than I bring objective thought and bigger picture perspective. You are a shallow and narrow parrot and one that uses terms he doesn't understand to boot.

It isn't difficult to look up the term Sparky.

Hope this helps

What’s the bigger picture in context to both threads? I haven’t been following.

This is a great personal experience and I have had two similar ones on recent trips in the United States (one to a small lake in Indiana and the other on a family trip to the beaches in NC). I am confident that there are pockets of disciplined behavior as well as “storm the gates” behavior around the world (i.e. look at the pictures in London when they opened the bars back up).

What is interesting is Mexico is considered a global hot spot, so despite the efforts they don’t seem to be in control and health officials recognize that they have very limited testing capacity and the real numbers are likely worse than even the trends reported.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/mexico

The unfortunate is this thing is difficult to control because it is difficult to control human behavior. What seems reasonable to some appears unreasonable to others. I’m taking precautions myself, but I’m also not sitting in a closed up home waiting for it to pass. I do believe in the United States that litigation concerns are driving more of the behavior than actual safety concerns ... and that comment is not to say that there are not safety concerns so do not misinterpret, but unfortunately we have established a heavy litigation society and this will be felt for years to come ... I just hope we can continue to develop the best science/care so we can all move forward on this rock.

ADVERTISEMENT