ADVERTISEMENT

My dog, and to a lesser extent, my wife, was attacked by a pit bull

outside shooter

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2001
A neighbor's pit got out of their yard and attacked my dog as my wife was walking her. My dog is in bad shape and at the animal hospital emergency room. My wife has minor bites from fighting the dog off. I guess I need to call the police ASAP. Anyone face this? I am just hoping my dog makes it. :(

A neighbor's pit got out of their yard and attacked my dog as my wife was walking her. My dog is in bad shape and at the animal hospital emergency room. My wife has minor bites from fighting the dog off. I guess I need to call the police ASAP. Anyone face this? I am just hoping my dog makes it. :(
:( Hope they both recover.

They will put the dog to sleep if you report it to the police? The owners ought to be paying the price, not the dog.

They will put the dog to sleep if you report it to the police? The owners ought to be paying the price, not the dog.
This is the second attack (at least) by the same dog on other dogs and people in 2-3 years. The first time nothing happened other than the owner paying vet bills. They can't secure the thing.

Last edited:
This is the second attack by the same dog on other dogs and people. The first time nothing happened other than the owner paying vet bills. They can't secure the thing.

I always thought pit bulls are aggressive because of how they have been nurtured by the respective owners.

My dog survived surgery. Broken lower hind leg and very deep bite wounds on upper thigh. If she avoids infections she should survive. Bill now $2300. Talked to neighbor and he has agreed to pay. Their pit is a rescue who they claim is gentle to people, including their 4 kids ages 4-14. He is aggressive to other dogs though. We have not yet called animal control but likely will.

My dog survived surgery. Broken lower hind leg and very deep bite wounds on upper thigh. If she avoids infections she should survive. Bill now $2300. Talked to neighbor and he has agreed to pay. Their pit is a rescue who they claim is gentle to people, including their 4 kids ages 4-14. He is aggressive to other dogs though. We have not yet called animal control but likely will.

Call animal control right away. Regardless of how you handle the situation with your neighbor, having documentation of this incident will help the next victim.

Glad to hear she will likely make it. That had to be so frightening for your wife.

Glad to hear she will likely make it. That had to be so frightening for your wife.
Yes, and the kids of the family who own the pit bull too. They were bawling a long time, I am told, and dropped off a get well card. My dog wasn't home yet at the time, but later I sent them a picture.

It's rough. She wimpers a lot, obviously in pain, and needs help to stand. With 3 kids home from college she's getting attention though!

Reactions: sglowrider

If you call Animal Control the likelihood is that the animal will be put down. We can argue among ourselves whether that's right or wrong (and of course none of us know the dog's backstory here) but that's what will happen. Keep that in mind before you call.

This is the second attack (at least) by the same dog on other dogs and people in 2-3 years. The first time nothing happened other than the owner paying vet bills. They can't secure the thing.

I am surprised the animal hospital hasn’t already called animal control. Usually they automatically report such things I thought ... with an injury like that they should have asked a lot of questions and automatically reported it.

If you call Animal Control the likelihood is that the animal will be put down. We can argue among ourselves whether that's right or wrong (and of course none of us know the dog's backstory here) but that's what will happen. Keep that in mind before you call.
The pit bull's owners have decided to have the dog put down. I am torn, but they've decided that they can't guarantee this won't happen again. Sad but the dog is not a puppy anymore and is really violent to other dogs

The pit bull's owners have decided to have the dog put down. I am torn, but they've decided that they can't guarantee this won't happen again.

That's too bad for the dog. But I get it. The owners simply can't take the chance of another incident, not having prior knowledge of the dog's temperament. They'd be wide open to litigation should the dog attack another animal, or worse, a child.

I feel bad for the dog, but it's the only logical course of action.

That's too bad for the dog. But I get it. The owners simply can't take the chance of another incident, not having prior knowledge of the dog's temperament. They'd be wide open to litigation should the dog attack another animal, or worse, a child.
Or anybody. Shooter & wife could own their asses now if they had a mind to.

beyond ridiculous the breed isn't banned most places.

what if it hadn't been your wife walking the dog, but a small girl.

why do we keep pretending it isn't what it is.

plenty of great breeds that aren't dangerous as heck and downright lethal..

The pit bull's owners have decided to have the dog put down. I am torn, but they've decided that they can't guarantee this won't happen again. Sad but the dog is not a puppy anymore and is really violent to other dogs

Its the previous owner's fault.

Pets are blank canvases -- it's up to the owners to paint it the way they want it to be in general.

Pets are blank canvases -- it's up to the owners to paint it the way they want it to be in general.

Pit Bulls are moderately aggressive by nature, and sure that's a nurturing/training issue, but the real issue is what they CAN do when they're agitated.

Dachshunds and Chihuahuas are more aggressive by nature than Pit Bulls, but not many people are mauled by Weiner dogs, as they nip at your ankles and jump at your shins.

You shoulda sued them and we coulda had a nice AOTF get together, you know, dancers, polls, cocaine....we coulda had it all.

You shoulda sued them and we coulda had a nice AOTF get together, you know, dancers, polls, cocaine....we coulda had it all.
We woulda even let your wife dance first with her little Brady outfit.

Its the previous owner's fault.

pets have different dispositions just like people, and while the owner can have an effect, it's not always the owner, sometimes it's the dog.

like i said above, why do we pretend it isn't what it is.

places need to ban pit bulls, they are downright dangerous.

one may say that not all are dangerous which begs the question, just what percent need be dangerous for it to be a public safety issue.

lots of great breeds that aren't dangerous, some horror story in the news every other day, so why play Russian roulette with bit bulls.

Isn't that cute

The hairy bunghole of the forum shows up to spread cheer. I figured you'd be preoccupied with rooting on your Boilers.
giphy.gif

Pretty funny if you are trying to put down someone from Massachusetts. But that's not me. Hoosier, through & through

22 in the head after the first attack.
How in the Hell did it survive to attack your wife and dog.

I grew up in country where this crap doesn't fly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT