ADVERTISEMENT

My detailed Case for starting Tuttle

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
It seems clear Penix is not himself and when one gets snake bitten in your head, it can go South fast (as in 6 picks in 2 losses when he had 4 all last season.). His decision making is off and I think time on bench, knowing he could get back in ahead, might both humble and settle him for potential improved future play.

But here are reasons I’d like to see Tuttle start vs WKU:

-Idaho game: the balls he threw were beautiful, tight spirals. Looked nothing like some of these floaters or way overthrows Penix has been throwing.

-Pre-season video: Video guys did a fun video asking players “What player on team would you be okay with your sister marrying?” A shocking near consensus from players on all sides of the ball, race, age groups: “Jack Tuttle”. Which said to me he is mature, steady, class act.

-End Cinci game: my seats ere above where OL sits on far left end of bench. After Penix threw his third Pick and game was Cleary over, the OL was fairly down after playing actually a “decent” game bs a good team. Tuttle was there giving a pat, handshake and genuine encouragement to every single one by player. It was epitome of leadership when no one (no coaches anyway) was looking. I won’t bash Penix but think at that moment he was flustered, sitting alone. )After his end of 2nd quarter pick he came off field patting his left arm saying “I got hit when throwing it” instead of frankly just saying “I needed to eat that.”

-He’s earned the right: Tuttle has equal or better HS credentials as Penix. He played admirably well last season at Wiscy and in bowl game with a hurt shoulder. He ran majority of first team offense all spring and he seems poised and ready to go.

Our defense has played well enough to win both games we lost. I would say given we had THREE times inside the 10 yard line, the OC and OL played well enough to win yesterday. 1) Muffed snap and unable to sneak it (misty on Penix but maybe bad play call). 2) Int in end zone I put that on Penix. 3) Fumble by RB (that’s on him). 21 more points would have won that game even with other flaws.

Let’s let Tuttle have a shot. Feel like his game management will be better. He may not have Penix’s best upside, but if don’t turn ball over that’s worth a lot. And he seems to have great respect of players, so I think they would be open to him. And if he throws balls like his TD pass to Barber vs Idaho, we’d all be happy with the results.

One final note: I am open to the idea Sheridan is not helping f Penix be successful with play Cali g or work in practice as his QB coach too. But Penix still has to know NOT to throw the pick six passes bs Iowa, the end of 2nd quarter INt that led to momentum shifting FG to end half and the across your body towards opposite side of field final Int that sealed the game for good. That was not Sheridan doing that.

It seems clear Penix is not himself and when one gets snake bitten in your head, it can go South fast (as in 6 picks in 2 losses when he had 4 all last season.). His decision making is off and I think time on bench, knowing he could get back in ahead, might both humble and settle him for potential improved future play.

-Idaho game: the balls he threw were beautiful, tight spirals. Looked nothing like some of these floaters or way overthrows Penix has been throwing.

-Pre-season video: Video guys did a fun video asking players “What player on team would you be okay with your sister marrying?” A shocking near consensus from players on all sides of the ball, race, age groups: “Jack Tuttle”. Which said to me he is mature, steady, class act.

-End Cinci game: my seats ere above where OL sits on far left end of bench. After Penix threw his third Pick and game was Cleary over, the OL was fairly down after playing actually a “decent” game bs a good team. Tuttle was there giving a pat, handshake and genuine encouragement to every single one by player. It was epitome of leadership when no one (no coaches anyway) was looking. I won’t bash Penix but think at that moment he was flustered, sitting alone. )After his end of 2nd quarter pick he came off field patting his left arm saying “I got hit when throwing it” instead of frankly just saying “I needed to eat that.”

-He’s earned the right: Tuttle has equal or better HS credentials as Penix. He played admirably well last season at Wiscy and in bowl game with a hurt shoulder. He ran majority of first team offense all spring and he seems poised and ready to go.

Our defense has played well enough to win both games we lost. I would say given we had THREE times inside the 10 yard line, the OC and OL played well enough to win yesterday. 1) Muffed snap and unable to sneak it (misty on Penix but maybe bad play call). 2) Int in end zone I put that on Penix. 3) Fumble by RB (that’s on him). 21 more points would have won that game even with other flaws.

Let’s let Tuttle have a shot. Feel like his game management will be better. He may not have Penix’s best upside, but if don’t turn ball over that’s worth a lot. And he seems to have great respect of players, so I think they would be open to him. And if he throws balls like his TD pass to Barber vs Idaho, we’d all be happy with the results.

One final note: I am open to the idea Sheridan is not helping f Penix be successful with play Cali g or work in practice as his QB coach too. But Penix still has to know NOT to throw the pick six passes bs Iowa, the end of 2nd quarter INt that led to momentum shifting FG to end half and the across your body towards opposite side of field final Int that sealed the game for good. That was not Sheridan doing that.
Kick the FG to help your struggling QB. Call some plays that aren’t 20 yard balls into coverage. Never, and I mean never, run a QB sneak with Penix ever again.

I’d be fine with Tuttle if they do it soon. If they lose a few more and want to make a change it should be McCaulley.

In the Iowa game there were multiple additional passes not intercepted where it appeared to me that he was throwing it directly to the opponent. Something is completely wrong right now as it's a complete 180 from last year. He is so far off the mark. What does he work on with the QB coach?

It is not too late to red shirt MP. He is clearly not himself. Put Tuttle in and let MP sit the rest of the year and regain his confidence. I could live with that.
I actually could too but could Penix? (If he/parents could, maybe the hand x-rays could be reason to RS if that’s still possible for him given past (has he done so already?).

Reactions: vesuvius13
You don't need anything other than Penix's completion percentage and number of interceptions to justify a change. He's actually been fortunately on interceptions. He should have at least two more. I am worried about all of our quarterbacks though as Sheridan is coaching them all.

Gotta like a consistent Tuttle vs MP's inconsistent talent upside. Sheridan game planning and playcalling is more than acceptable as long as the QB is clutch and not dragging the team down. The D is the heart of the team. ST's kick return has to stay in their lanes. Too many fast returners not to. Was pleasantly surprised by the OL play yesterday.
Go HOOSIERS

I'd like to see both Tuttle and McCulley take snaps in the Western Kentucky game. I don't think it's clear which of the two gives us the best chance on Saturdays, so let them both audition.

Tuttle is obviously the more seasoned guy but the coaching staff was talking up McCulley over the summer, commenting on his rapid development and how he was one of the outstanding players in camp.

A dual-threat QB can lessen the impact, at least to some extent, of a sub-par OL. This anemic offense needs some juice, and McCulley might be the guy.

It would help Penix out if our receivers would stop dropping catchable passes. It doesn't matter who the quarterback is. If they don't catch it, it's gonna be hard to move the ball.

It would help Penix out if our receivers would stop dropping catchable passes. It doesn't matter who the quarterback is. If they don't catch it, it's gonna be hard to move the ball.
Yes it would, and I mentioned yesterday that our WRs, and one in particular, aren't doing him any favors. The bigger problem is that he's completing too many passes to the other team.

agree

time to show Tuttle some of that LEO love

In the Iowa game there were multiple additional passes not intercepted where it appeared to me that he was throwing it directly to the opponent. Something is completely wrong right now as it's a complete 180 from last year. He is so far off the mark. What does he work on with the QB coach?
I've watched Pennix.. he doesn't have it mentally. He an elite athlete who just throws $hit against the wall to see if it will stick. He is now lacking the explosiveness and playing with one arm tied behind his back.

I believe Indiana got in some spring ball in 2020?? (as did NW and OSU) 2020 is proving to be an anomaly.

Your D is good, but play at a different level when your stud is in the middle.

Tuttle probably will start, but we need to see at least a couple of series with McCulley. Another thing I noticed about yesterday is that Penix was more comfortable and successful rolling out than when in the pocket. So why so many pocket throws? And on several plays, he had all day to throw. I think the OL had a great game in pass protection against a good defense.

There are two things about Penix that seems to be clear so far. 1. coach Sheridan hasn't been doing him any favors with play calling. 2. Penix has been brought back too fast after being injured. Image Tuttle starting against Iowa and Penix get work against Idaho and then WKU what it would have done to his confidence on the field. We also don't know how the games would have gone with Tuttle as QB and not making big mistakes. I still believe in Penix but I do believe he hasn't been used appropriately and how long will it take to regain his confidence and good decision making.

Tuttle needs a start to see how he can play as a starter. Also give McCulley a few series or better yet let him come in when IU gets a two score lead and see how he handles the pressure.

Where can we find a guy that can kick the ball out of the end zone more times than not? That’s killing us. The kickoff in the Iowa game to start the damn thing was short and the guy returned it to the 35 yard line.

agree, 100 per cent !! Knew we were in trouble in Iowa game--after our first play--IU is not a run team--passing !!-
why would O/C call run--maybe because he thinks Penex is not the same gur that played last year--1st, get Tutle into game--get rid of Sheridan
Bobby9

Not really complete change rewatch the Maryland game he was awful and then he got hurt.

Reactions: Champs1976
Where can we find a guy that can kick the ball out of the end zone more times than not? That’s killing us. The kickoff in the Iowa game to start the damn thing was short and the guy returned it to the 35 yard line.
No kidding! That run back was even more pathetic when you consider we kicked it to the corner, took away half the field, and the guy practically ran straight!

Campbell has the leg to do just that and he wants to do KO. It only takes coach Teegardin to make the change but he doesn't seem to want Campbell KO.

Campbell has the leg to do just that and he wants to do KO. It only takes coach Teegardin to make the change but he doesn't seem to want Campbell KO.
Campbell did get one kickoff in the Idaho game. I don’t think it got to the 10 yard line.

Campbell did get one kickoff in the Idaho game. I don’t think it got to the 10 yard line.
It could be very well he doesn't KO as well as he does FGs but his FG kicking is strong enough to be able to drive ball into the end zone. I am sure coach T is going by practices and Campbell is being beaten out.

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
Couldn't he possibly get a medical RS exemption. You know, the Jess Settles rule.
I’m far from an expert on eligibility rules, but it was my understanding that medical RS cant be retroactive (they might even have to be in final year of eligibility) meaning he can’t use a regular RS now and designate his first as a medical. I think he’d have to suffer another season ender early in the season to have a chance at one if it’s possible at all with a year left for him.

I agree with all your points. I still expect Penix to start unless he has had an awful week in practice. He will get the hook if he struggles early.

My short case - Penix isn’t playing well. Too many picks. End of story. Same thing a few years ago with Lagow. You can’t turn it over.

ADVERTISEMENT