ADVERTISEMENT

Musselman

The older portion of the fan base (those 50 and older) need to get over the obsession with Knight, Knight era players and the period of 1975 - 1993. What IU needs is a coach who will win games and bring IU into the top tier of the current college basketball landscape.

As a “50 and older” IU fan, I agree.

"It's Arkansas, it's Arkansas."
giphy.gif
Can’t stop watching this

The more I look at Musselman, the more I like the idea. Especially like the upbeat personality and NBA bonafides.
The current generation of high school players is more focused on the NBA now than at any point in the history of the league’s existence. This is largely due to the influence and prevalence of social media. Musselman and Brad Stevens are the two guys with NBA head coaching experience who can sit down with recruits and explain that they have the credentials to get them to league.

His college winning % is 75 percent, which included taking over two teams after the head coach was fired. How is that mediocre?
Nevada 2015-16
#124 overall (210 offense, 55 defense)

Nevada 2016-17
#54 overall (36 offense, 101 defense)

Nevada 2017-18
#25 overall (7 offense, 108 defense)

Nevada 2018-19
#27 overall (26 offense, 35 defense)

Arkansas 2019-20
#47 overall (55 offense, 57 defense)

Arkansas 2020-21
#18 overall (35 offense, 14 defense)

This was from another poster. I thought this was Musselman.

Nevada 2015-16
#124 overall (210 offense, 55 defense)

Nevada 2016-17
#54 overall (36 offense, 101 defense)

Nevada 2017-18
#25 overall (7 offense, 108 defense)

Nevada 2018-19
#27 overall (26 offense, 35 defense)

Arkansas 2019-20
#47 overall (55 offense, 57 defense)

Arkansas 2020-21
#18 overall (35 offense, 14 defense)

This was from another poster. I thought this was Musselman.
Yes, I posted that. Those are his team's overall ratings as well as adjusted offensive and defensive efficiency ratings.

Knowing what we know right now in the current moment, the one coach that keeps popping into my head is Musselman. Brad Stevens is out (he declined the job on Boston radio today) and Nate Oats is out per 247Sports.com. I feel it is unlikely IU lands either Scott Drew or Chris Beard.

Hear me out on this. Dolson should hire Eric Musselman.

He has been the head coach of two NBA franchises (Sacramento Kings and Golden State Warriors) and an assistant coach for three others (Memphis Grizzlies, Orlando Magic, Atlanta Hawks).

He has been the head coach of two college programs (Nevada and Arkansas). He has been the associate head coach at two other major college programs (Arizona State and LSU).

That gives him a great blend of both NBA and college head coaching experience.

His teams play an up-tempo, push the pace type of basketball that would appeal to recruits. Not to mention he could sell recruits on his NBA experience.

He also has an outgoing personality that would fit well with bringing IU into the new age and making it "cool" to play at IU. He's only 56, making him a guy who, if all goes well, could be around for 10+ years.

I also think he’s the guy and it will be announced as soon as Arkansas gets knocked out of the tourney.

Big 10 > SEC for basketball. I believe Musselman will either be at Minnesota or Indiana next year. If we can't get Stevens, Musselman is my #2.

Reactions: elijawon
Big 10 > SEC for basketball. I believe Musselman will either be at Minnesota or Indiana next year. If we can't get Stevens, Musselman is my #2.
Yeah, Birnk403 is nuts if he thinks Arkansas could legitimately compete with IU for retaining Musselman if he's the guy Dolson and the two donors really want.

Arkansas can easily match the money part of this.
Yes. They are an equally starving program. Also - the thought could be to pay him now before Duke, UNC, etc open up. Could be an arms race for him.

But if the next coach is going to get maybe $5mm/year, it has to be Stevens or Beard ... Mussel as a wildcard - he coached with Smart - so maybe that’s his angle in too.

Either way, it’s a big money play here.

As a “50 and older” IU fan, I agree.
[/Q
The older portion of the fan base (those 50 and older) need to get over the obsession with Knight, Knight era players and the period of 1975 - 1993. What IU needs is a coach who will win games and bring IU into the top tier of the current college basketball landscape.
It is not an obsession with Knight. It about the bar he set as an Indiana Coach. It is about the intensity with which his teams played and the fact it was not unrealistic at the beginning of most seasons to think we might be contending for another Big Ten and National Title. I really don't know if it's even possible for a coach to bring back Indiana Basketball to a level close to what it was the Knight era. However, It would be nice to have consecutive 20+ game winning seasons for a change....and to look forward to the NCAA Tournament.

It is not an obsession with Knight. It about the bar he set as an Indiana Coach. It is about the intensity with which his teams played and the fact it was not unrealistic at the beginning of most seasons to think we might be contending for another Big Ten and National Title. I really don't know if it's even possible for a coach to bring back Indiana Basketball to a level close to what it was the Knight era. However, It would be nice to have consecutive 20+ game winning seasons for a change....and to look forward to the NCAA Tournament.
Beginning each season with a feeling that IU will be a legitimate Big Ten regular season champion contender and one of the best teams in college basketball is absolutely possible. All it requires is a coach who will win! And being an "IU guy" or a "Knight guy" is not a prerequisite to winning. That's the piece the older fans have to let go of.

Reactions: Al Bino
I know he's very outgoing. There's a video out there of a Ark hype video that's actually pretty funny.

I know these are trivial matters, but he's another short guy, 5'7", and looks older than his age. His wife is hot and looks about 30 years younger. He also had an OWI in 2006 & was fired from his 2 NBA jobs within 2 years of being hired. Offsetting that, he won 68% of his CBA games, was runner-up for NBA C of Y once, and was C of Y in the NBA D league once.

The big question I have about him.....is he a confident guy? He better be if he's going to be a funny man (remember Lee Corso).
I think you answered your own question: super hot wife and 5'7"? Was he a millionaire when he met her?

And being an "IU guy" or a "Knight guy" is not a prerequisite to winning. That's the piece the older fans have to let go of.

The IU administration has followed your line of thinking for the past 20 years and how has that worked out? I don’t see any obvious “Knight Guy” or “IU Guy” and I can only hope that the person(s) making this decision will hire the best “Basketball Coach“ possible.

And being an "IU guy" or a "Knight guy" is not a prerequisite to winning. That's the piece the older fans have to let go of.

The IU administration has followed your line of thinking for the past 20 years and how has that worked out? I don’t see any obvious “Knight Guy” or “IU Guy” and I can only hope that the person(s) making this decision will hire the best “Basketball Coach“ possible.
IU has made four bad hires since Bobby Knight was fired. Hiring an "IU guy" does not guarantee it would be a good hire.

Mike Davis had never been a head coach.

Kelvin Sampson likely would have won big time at IU, but engaged in what were illegal phone calls at the time.

Tom Crean was 190-96 at Marquette. He went to the NIT twice and was knocked out in the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament in three consecutive seasons before taking the IU job.

Archie Miller was unproven at the Power Five level and had never coached under a brand name head coach.

For IU, it's all about hiring a PROVEN WINNER. Davis, Crean and Miller were not proven winners at the highest level before they were hired.

Last edited:

Maybe a majority of posters that age think that way but as a over 50 IU grad, I obviously don't agree.

Get the BEST damn coach money can buy!

Maybe a majority of posters that age think that way but as a over 50 IU grad, I obviously don't agree.

Dolson will. That’s why he is using Monopoly money here. He could’ve easily waited a year and saved a ton of cash. This is big money time.

Reactions: russelltodd
**** NO
Cant beleive hes even being considered.
Jesus ****ing christ get your shit together IU.

Coaches from non power 5 conferences should be automatic disqualifier.

In good with Beard but it really needs to be Beilein.
1: It will prove expectations ARENT "delusional" and 2: absolutely continue to demand such from x next coach following Beilien.

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman

Thank you! That's what I'm talking about! All these Knight era guys talk about how the expectation should be competing for championships. I agree, so go out and hire the best damn coach there is! If that's an IU guy, so be it.

Reactions: Al Bino
**** NO

1: It will prove expectations ARENT "delusional" and 2: absolutely continue to demand such from x next coach following Beilien.

This thread is about Musselman, correct?

He coaches at Arkansas, correct?

That is the big 12, correct?

That is a power five, correct?

Reactions: asindc
**** NO

I understand that point - but - do you view him like Archie - up and coming assistant, then had success with a mid-major program?

Or do you consider his NBA, etc and previous experience as good enough?

This thread is about Musselman, correct?

He coaches at Arkansas, correct?

That is the big 12, correct?

That is a power five, correct?

Ahhh my bad.
I refused to watch ball this year after all the reverse racism"wokeness" in entertainment this year...
I forgot Musselman got re-rolled after his short stint in the tourney year before.
Still completely against it, and for other obvious reasons.
Furthermore if IU brings him in it proves IU is trolling every fan.
Ive even seen Pitino mentioned.
Ive watched IU on and off over 30 years but if Pitino is brought on ill just stop watching\supporting IU all together for good.
And anyone with any character and integrity will as well.
Hell id quit watching for good if the school themselves mentioned even merely considering Pitino.
No wonder why ppl cheat, steal, etc no goddamn consequences

Beilien is a guaranteed 4 or 5 years max. Hasn't IU been through this revolving door routine enough for a while?

Beilien is a guaranteed 4 or 5 years max. Hasn't IU been through this revolving door routine enough for a while?

And hows that any different then spending another 5 years of a coach like Crean or Archie ? Besides all the unneeded frustrations and unwarranted losses with nba caliber players.

To turn down the highest chance of success, practically guaranteed success, possibly real
championship success, at this point in 20 years of failure would be foolish

And hows that any different then spending another 5 years of a coach like Crean or Archie ? Besides all the unneeded frustrations and unwarranted losses with nba caliber players.

To turn down the highest chance of success, practically guaranteed success, possibly real
championship success, at this point in 20 years of failure would be foolish
so in year 3 when recruits realize they won't have the same coach for 4 years....recruiting is impacted and not in a good way....

so in year 3 when recruits realize they won't have the same coach for 4 years....recruiting is impacted and not in a good way....

Your kids going to play for BEILEIN, JOHN BEILEIN, for I U basketball.
If you dont think nba prospects will go play for that youre crazy.
Furthermore you dont know how long Beilein has left in the tank, even Beilein doesnt know how long he has left.
But go on and reach out to some coach with a far greater chance of less to offer just bc hes young, see how that works out for ya as well in "4 years".

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman
Re-upping this thread from earlier in the week. With Stevens out of the equation, I believe Musselman is the guy Dolson needs to lock up. He’s got head coaching experience in the NBA and at the college level. He won big at Nevada and now at Arkansas. He’s a high energy guy who is on the record as saying he plays to the strength of his roster and isn’t married to a particular system or scheme.

Losing record for Musselman this year.

He's had a number of good seasons though.

ADVERTISEMENT