ADVERTISEMENT

Musselman

MikeHoncho69

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2018
Knowing what we know right now in the current moment, the one coach that keeps popping into my head is Musselman. Brad Stevens is out (he declined the job on Boston radio today) and Nate Oats is out per 247Sports.com. I feel it is unlikely IU lands either Scott Drew or Chris Beard.

Hear me out on this. Dolson should hire Eric Musselman.

He has been the head coach of two NBA franchises (Sacramento Kings and Golden State Warriors) and an assistant coach for three others (Memphis Grizzlies, Orlando Magic, Atlanta Hawks).

He has been the head coach of two college programs (Nevada and Arkansas). He has been the associate head coach at two other major college programs (Arizona State and LSU).

That gives him a great blend of both NBA and college head coaching experience.

His teams play an up-tempo, push the pace type of basketball that would appeal to recruits. Not to mention he could sell recruits on his NBA experience.

He also has an outgoing personality that would fit well with bringing IU into the new age and making it "cool" to play at IU. He's only 56, making him a guy who, if all goes well, could be around for 10+ years.

Reactions: asindc and jiouhyu
Here are his team's KenPom numbers

Nevada 2015-16
#124 overall (210 offense, 55 defense)

Nevada 2016-17
#54 overall (36 offense, 101 defense)

Nevada 2017-18
#25 overall (7 offense, 108 defense)

Nevada 2018-19
#27 overall (26 offense, 35 defense)

Arkansas 2019-20
#47 overall (55 offense, 57 defense)

Arkansas 2020-21
#18 overall (35 offense, 14 defense)

I've been pretty high on him since the beginning, but in full disclosure, I've not paid much attention to his teams and how they play....he just seems to be the "right" fit.

If Stevens isn't it (you have to ask) then you start looking at the options.

Matta, also checks a ton of boxes, but honestly, and I know this is crazy to say, I never cared for the way his teams played. Kind of had the Turgeon feel to me, could look great on any night, but you always felt like you had a chance against them. The health thing is a bit iffy as well.

Reactions: MrBing
I think he’s a very legit candidate. Definite 180 from Archie - has an outgoing personality, connects with kids, is all over social media, and is supposed to be an offensive guru. That will sell nationally. Plus he’s from Ohio, so he knows what IU b-ball means. But ...

just bc Brad declined it on a radio show today, doesn’t mean he’s out. And i think beard is probably the third guy in the mix if he’s comfortable leaving Texas/family.

I remain confused about the selection. If a "name" coach is needed and Stevens, Oats (said no) and Pearl, Patino, Sampson (baggage), and Marshall (crazy wife) are all out are we down to Beard and Mussleman?
I do like Musselmans pro connections but his college stuff looks mediocre. Why would it be different at IU?
Is paying less for an assistant in play? Hoping the assistant pans out ala Knight in 1970?
I would really like an exciting to watch, push the tempo, scoring offense.

Reactions: ncthomas31
I’ll be honest I don’t know who in a blue hell we’re going to hire at this point. I don’t believe any radio show or reporters sources on whose interested/not interested. I’ll believe it when I see the press conference making the new coach. I’m just happy the Archie Miller era is done!
tenor.gif

I’ll be honest I don’t know who in a blue hell we’re going to hire at this point. I don’t believe any radio show or reporters sources on whose interested/not interested. I’ll believe it when I see the press conference making the new coach. I’m just happy the Archie Miller era is done!
tenor.gif
Blue hell?
What is the worst color?
LOL.

Knowing what we know right now in the current moment, the one coach that keeps popping into my head is Musselman. Brad Stevens is out (he declined the job on Boston radio today) and Nate Oats is out per 247Sports.com. I feel it is unlikely IU lands either Scott Drew or Chris Beard.

He has been the head coach of two NBA franchises (Sacramento Kings and Golden State Warriors) and an assistant coach for three others (Memphis Grizzlies, Orlando Magic, Atlanta Hawks).

He has been the head coach of two college programs (Nevada and Arkansas). He has been the associate head coach at two other major college programs (Arizona State and LSU).

His teams play an up-tempo, push the pace type of basketball that would appeal to recruits. Not to mention he could sell recruits on his NBA experience.

He also has an outgoing personality that would fit well with bringing IU into the new age and making it "cool" to play at IU. He's only 56, making him a guy who, if all goes well, could be around for 10+ years.

Read his WIki page (I posted excerpts in another thread and not going to do it again). I really like what he says about adapting his offensive systems to the strength of his roster.

And, I really like what colleagues and player say about working with/for him.

Reactions: MTBRider
I remain confused about the selection. If a "name" coach is needed and Stevens, Oats (said no) and Pearl, Patino, Sampson (baggage), and Marshall (crazy wife) are all out are we down to Beard and Mussleman?
I do like Musselmans pro connections but his college stuff looks mediocre. Why would it be different at IU?
Is paying less for an assistant in play? Hoping the assistant pans out ala Knight in 1970?
I would really like an exciting to watch, push the tempo, scoring offense.

His college winning % is 75 percent, which included taking over two teams after the head coach was fired. How is that mediocre?

Last edited:
Nope. Its someone who has ties to the iu program. Dolson is done ****ing around with coaches outside of the past program.

Reactions: Lucy01
Not that he's ok.
But he's a builder with transfers everywhere he's been...
That's great next year..
But after that ?

Hmm.. never looked into this guy until seeing this post. I have to admit he seems like a great hire and just might be what the program needs to get going. Saw quotes from Jeff Van Gundy and Calipari praising his knowledge of the game and how he’s one of the most competitive guys in the game. I think he’d be great recruiter at IU, too, especially with his nba experience.

Not that he's ok.
But he's a builder with transfers everywhere he's been...
That's great next year..
But after that ?
He’s never been head coach at a school like IU, which should be easier to recruit high school kids than Nevada or Arkansas.

Is it more likely Musselman heads for Minnesota where his dad coached?

He’s never been head coach at a school like IU, which should be easier to recruit high school kids than Nevada or Arkansas.
I think there is some concern about him at IU / B1G due to lack of a college track record. But it’s not like he’s a typical assistant, up and comer type guy. He’s got NBA and other experience.

He seems very focused on culture - like Tom Allen ... but sometimes it seems over the top (takes his shirt off after games and storms locker room). But Pearl has painted his chest before, so who knows where to draw the line. If kids love it and are attracted to the brand, then all for it.

He also coached with Smart twice I believe. Would Smart coach with him here ? I wonder if the professional IU guys in that circle are whispering in Dolsons ear about him? Doesn’t mean he’s the guy (I still think Brad is #1), but he has to be very much in consideration

I have to believe that it’s going to come down to Scott Drew, Beard and Musselman as the final three targets. It’s probably a toss-up who it is.

PLease explain why he would leave Arkansas?

PLease explain why he would leave Arkansas?
At the very least the challenge of the B1G. Right now it’s clear the B1G has the best teams and coaches. It’s essentially becoming what the SEC is to football. The SEC in basketball is pretty weak, especially with UK down.

I think he’s a very legit candidate. Definite 180 from Archie - has an outgoing personality, connects with kids, is all over social media, and is supposed to be an offensive guru. That will sell nationally. Plus he’s from Ohio, so he knows what IU b-ball means. But ...

just bc Brad declined it on a radio show today, doesn’t mean he’s out. And i think beard is probably the third guy in the mix if he’s comfortable leaving Texas/family.

I know he's very outgoing. There's a video out there of a Ark hype video that's actually pretty funny.

I know these are trivial matters, but he's another short guy, 5'7", and looks older than his age. His wife is hot and looks about 30 years younger. He also had an OWI in 2006 & was fired from his 2 NBA jobs within 2 years of being hired. Offsetting that, he won 68% of his CBA games, was runner-up for NBA C of Y once, and was C of Y in the NBA D league once.

The big question I have about him.....is he a confident guy? He better be if he's going to be a funny man (remember Lee Corso).

I have to believe that it’s going to come down to Scott Drew, Beard and Musselman as the final three targets. It’s probably a toss-up who it is.
If Drew is so great, why didn’t he get sniffed 4 years ago? Do Glass/Dolson/people know some stuff? Is the Hanner and ncaa stuff too big of a red flag? He’s been unbelievable, but is he realistic here?

I think you’re correct with beard, musselman and Stevens.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
I know he's very outgoing. There's a video out there of a Ark hype video that's actually pretty funny.

I know these are trivial matters, but he's another short guy, 5'7", and looks older than his age. His wife is hot and looks about 30 years younger.

The big question I have about him.....is he a confident guy? He better be if he's going to be a funny man (remember Lee Corso).
Yeah. I hear you. Watch some of his practice videos - I get the sense he can turn it on and off.

he’s definitely in touch with today’s kids. He is pretty witty.

The more I look at Musselman, the more I like the idea. Especially like the upbeat personality and NBA bonafides.

Reactions: All4You
I don't understand this thinking.
Why an IU guy?
RMK wasn't an IU guy.
Get the BEST guy.
The older portion of the fan base (those 50 and older) need to get over the obsession with Knight, Knight era players and the period of 1975 - 1993. What IU needs is a coach who will win games and bring IU into the top tier of the current college basketball landscape.

Reactions: jet812
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT