ADVERTISEMENT

Musselman perhaps...

Arkansas to Indiana seems pretty lateral right now.
[/QU
He has an impressive resume at a major university in a major conference and I can see the IU job being real appealing to him. He has BIG ties as his dad coached at Minny. I think he is worth a serious look.

What’s the allure around this guy? I recognize he’s a good/decent coach, but he’s had success in two average conferences and made the S16 once.

Archie arguably had a better resume 4 years ago.

I personally think IU is at the point where they want a proven guy at a top school - like UNC getting Roy from Kansas.

Guys like Beilein, Drew and Matta better fit the bill than Musclemilk and Oats. Granted - the former all each have their own concerns.

Personally just don’t see it here with Muscles.

Was Tom Allen a proven coach when he took over for IU football? Which is more difficult to turn around....IU football or IU basketball? I think we know the answer here is IU football simply because for my lifetime we have been miserable. There is another "Tom Allen" out there for IU basketball, we just have to find and recognize him. At the end of the day it's the coach that turns the program into a consistent winner not the players. Someone like a Greg Tonagel is a great coach and has all the attributes of a coach that would succeed at IU but the reality is most would never have the vision to hire him at IU. Just my opinion....worth what you paid.

I could see leaving Arkansas for Indiana. But for Minnesota?
I’m not sure you’d ever get a Musselman 2.0 at the U. For those old enough to remember, Bill incited one of the ugliest incidents in the history of the conference, in any sport. I seriously doubt the good people in the Twin Cities want to be reminded of that repeatedly when introducing their new coach.

I’m not sure you’d ever get a Musselman 2.0 at the U. For those old enough to remember, Bill incited one of the ugliest incidents in the history of the conference, in any sport. I seriously doubt the good people in the Twin Cities want to be reminded of that repeatedly when introducing their new coach.
You might want to look at Gopher page to see who they think should be targeted - lot of the same names as here.

You might want to look at Gopher page to see who they think should be targeted - lot of the same names as here.
What people on an internet fan forum want and what the administrators and influential boosters want are likely miles apart. Nobody in the Twin Cities wants to be reminded of what Bill Musselman incited in the early 70’s. It was ugly, and they aren’t likely to want to rekindle that legacy.

There are plenty of unemployed good coaches to consult before we even consider buying one. This is not a super attractive job where we know its a coaching problem. It is at the root, bit there's a big talent and recruiting problem too, so we need somebody willing to take on that

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT