ADVERTISEMENT

Mum's the word on why James Miller didn't get in at linebacker vs. Cincy

Tokyo Steve

Junior
Sep 5, 2001
Coach Tom Allen completely disregarded the question posed to him, and the usually loquacious Coach Warren was at a very awkward loss for words when he was asked. We don't know how the decision was made but, given the glaring lack of transparency, one could be forgiven for thinking that it's quite possible that Warren wanted to play Miller, at least intermittently, but was overruled.

My guess is that, if pressed very hard on the question, CTA would say that replacing McFadden's coach-on-the-field qualities outweighed replacing his athletic talent.

Given that the coaches are very clearly avoiding addressing the question, it is not unreasonable (yeah, I know that's a double negative) for Joe Blow in the stands to wonder a few things.
  1. Do the coaches think that James Miller's leadership skills are so weak that they couldn't give him even a sniff of the field on defense versus Cincinnati?
  2. What kind of message does that send to James Miller, specifically, and the rest of the team?
  3. If the coaches have zero confidence in James Miller's leadership skills, then what are their plans for the middle linebacker position in the future after McFadden and Allen, Jr., have moved on?

To be clear, CTA was asked a 2-part question. He answered the part about the kickoff return for a TD breakdown but ignored the part about Miller not playing.

I really think CTA is the best thing to happen to IU football since I first attended a game circa 1965, but he clearly has a blind spot regarding his son.

Believe me, I totally get blind love. However, CTA needs to own up to it and bite his tongue when other players come up short. I recall him saying that coaches' sons have it tougher than other players. That does not appear to be the case regarding Thomas. In the Cincy game, he got flagged for a late hit on the QB. In the moment, I thought "that's totally forgivable because he's coming off a season-ending injury; so, I don't blame him for cushioning the blow to his body by landing on top of the QB." However, you know who else is coming off a season-ending injury and got flagged for a similar play in the Iowa game? Marcelino. Do you remember what CTA said about that penalty? He called it "selfish." Maybe . . . maybe not, but let me know when he uses that word to describe his son's play.

By the way, here's the link to Warren's comments. Pretty awkward from 1:45 to 2:20.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the video. Honestly, I felt the awkwardness came from the reporters who sounded ashamed and embarrassed to ask the question. I thought Coach Warren answered quickly and honestly. I also noticed he didn't break eye contact nor did his facial expressions or mannerisms seem to change during the questions.

Let's move forward and get a big win Saturday night. It will cure a lot of angst around here.

Thanks for sharing the video. Honestly, I felt the awkwardness came from the reporters who sounded ashamed and embarrassed to ask the question. I thought Coach Warren answered quickly and honestly. I also noticed he didn't break eye contact nor did his facial expressions or mannerisms seem to change during the questions.

Let's move forward and get a big win Saturday night. It will cure a lot of angst around here.
I totally agree that Warren responded directly, but I hate that he was put in that position. I'm thoroughly impressed with him.

I also totally agree with moving forward. Knock on wood, we can put this particular issue to bed and it won't rise againn for the rest of the season.

I'm pretty sure beating the Hilltoppers isn't going to reduce any angst. A win this Saturday then a poor showing the following 2 weeks will lead to anarchy.

Cincinnati absolutely attacked Allen when he was out there by forcing him to cover the perimeter, and it cost us dearly. I am not sure on why Miller didn’t get a shot, but I do agree that the Warren interview shows there might be something going on there.

I was wondering about this as well. I think the reporter’s lack of comfort in the Warren interview, came because the question was ignored by CTA, and then Warren’s response made it extremely uncomfortable. I love what CTA is doing with the program but if there is more behind this and it does have to do with the fact that TA Jr. is the coaches son, it could be a very bad situation for the team and their morale. As it is the way it has been handled it leaves the rest of us wondering and talking about it which is not good.

Cincinnati absolutely attacked Allen when he was out there by forcing him to cover the perimeter, and it cost us dearly. I am not sure on why Miller didn’t get a shot, but I do agree that the Warren interview shows there might be something going on there.

I feel that Miller and Allen are both very poor in coverage, but Miller is excellent against the run, whereas Allen has no particular on-field upside.

I agree with whoever pointed out that sending Allen on blitzes was a waste of space, and counter-productive. That part was on the DC.

The obvious avoided question at the PC was who made the decision to play Allen over Miller---the DC or CTA.

Coach Tom Allen completely disregarded the question posed to him, and the usually loquacious Coach Warren was at a very awkward loss for words when he was asked. We don't know how the decision was made but, given the glaring lack of transparency, one could be forgiven for thinking that it's quite possible that Warren wanted to play Miller, at least intermittently, but was overruled.

My guess is that, if pressed very hard on the question, CTA would say that replacing McFadden's coach-on-the-field qualities outweighed replacing his athletic talent.

Given that the coaches are very clearly avoiding addressing the question, it is not unreasonable (yeah, I know that's a double negative) for Joe Blow in the stands to wonder a few things.
  1. Do the coaches think that James Miller's leadership skills are so weak that they couldn't give him even a sniff of the field on defense versus Cincinnati?
  2. What kind of message does that send to James Miller, specifically, and the rest of the team?
  3. If the coaches have zero confidence in James Miller's leadership skills, then what are their plans for the middle linebacker position in the future after McFadden and Allen, Jr., have moved on?
I hate your speculation, but I’ll add mine.

Miller helped an old lady cross the street and sprained an ankle and HIPPA prevented any answer.

Or he was in a doghouse and the coaches sent him a message. That is what those terse answers from Warren told me.

Favoritism didn’t enter into it.

I hate your speculation, but I’ll add mine.

Miller helped an old lady cross the street and sprained an ankle and HIPPA prevented any answer.

Or he was in a doghouse and the coaches sent him a message. That is what those terse answers from Warren told me.

Favoritism didn’t enter into it.
Well, he played on special teams, so he wasn‘t hurt, that decision was a head scratcher and deserves a better answer. Clearly, that isn’t going to happen, but not giving your team the best opportunity to win is, well, unforgivable.

Allen isn't fast enough to play in the Sun Belt, much less the Big Ten. He's been a liability his entire time at IU. I'm dissapointed by the lack of objectivity. It really doesn't matter how great a person he is. You've got to put the team in the best position to win. There are a couple of folks who could have played that are Big Ten level players. One could argue that not inserting those players had a direct and immediate impact on the game as Allen Jr. was immediately picked on. The drop-off to the other players on paper is less. Very strange and disturbing. Keep in mind that from the first day McFadden stepped on campus he was the better player, yet Allen Jr. was receiving the bulk of playing time early in McFadden's career. He had no business being on the field. I think it's obvious that he simply isn't fast enough for division 1 football. Get the best players on the field.

Well, he played on special teams, so he wasn‘t hurt, that decision was a head scratcher and deserves a better answer. Clearly, that isn’t going to happen, but not giving your team the best opportunity to win is, well, unforgivable.
And it could also be as easy as “we have a great secondary - we wanted to stop the run - game planned for it - Allen weighs 240 and is the back up run stop guy, Miller weighs 220 and is the back up cover guy - when McFadden got hurt they had zero first downs and negative rushing so we stuck with the run guy.” That is not something a coach will necessarily say in public - “when you see Allen, throw it.”

But saying It’s GOTTA be nepotism, no other reason is possible - the coaches prefer to lose before they bench a coaches son - no way - can’t be a football call“ is an overre-speculation.

Cant wait for McCullough kids to play.

And it could also be as easy as “we have a great secondary - we wanted to stop the run - game planned for it - Allen weighs 240 and is the back up run stop guy, Miller weighs 220 and is the back up cover guy - when McFadden got hurt they had zero first downs and negative rushing so we stuck with the run guy.” That is not something a coach will necessarily say in public - “when you see Allen, throw it.”

But saying It’s GOTTA be nepotism, no other reason is possible - the coaches prefer to lose before they bench a coaches son - no way - can’t be a football call“ is an overre-speculation.

JMO, but weight doesn’t make a guy, necessarily, better against the run. IMO , James Miller is just a better LB, run , pass whatever, he has shown us that before. No one has stated ”it’s gotta be nepotism “, but it is very damning when no one is able to give us ANY reasoning.

Who told you Allen was a better run stop guy?

Reactions: bang63
Who told you Allen was a better run stop guy?
did I say he was?

no.

I suggested an alternative to what I consider the dumb argument that “Daddy just played his son instead of playing a superior player.”

Ergo the use of “could be”

But since you raised it - yeah. I’ve watched plenty of 215-220 ppound LBs get pushed backwards by good RBs, especially a guy like Ford who comes in at 215. So if - NOTE THE USE OF THE WORD IF - our plan was focusing on stopping the run - and we had to scramble after McFadden got tossed - I have no problem picking the bigger LB to clog things up.

Can Allen chase a mobile QB as well as McFadden? No. Miller? Not sure.

Did daddy play his son to the intentional or blind detriment to the teams best chance? Hell no.

Here's the thing....

CTA is the final say on the team, but wouldn't Coach Warren being the linebacker coach be in charge of who is rotating in and out? I could be wrong in that, but I don't see why it would be any different that any other position group.

I think people are looking to far into this and at this point, it was a coaches decision. It's really as simple as that. None of us are at practice and don't know what goes on other than what we've seen the past three Saturdays.

Not sure why we "deserve" a better answer. I was curious why Miller wasn't used also but personnel issues are often better off kept behind closed doors.

did I say he was?

no.

I suggested an alternative to what I consider the dumb argument that “Daddy just played his son instead of playing a superior player.”

Ergo the use of “could be”

But since you raised it - yeah. I’ve watched plenty of 215-220 ppound LBs get pushed backwards by good RBs, especially a guy like Ford who comes in at 215. So if - NOTE THE USE OF THE WORD IF - our plan was focusing on stopping the run - and we had to scramble after McFadden got tossed - I have no problem picking the bigger LB to clog things up.

Can Allen chase a mobile QB as well as McFadden? No. Miller? Not sure.

Did daddy play his son to the intentional or blind detriment to the teams best chance? Hell no.
Let me help you out. Miller is a better run stop guy.

Not sure why we "deserve" a better answer. I was curious why Miller wasn't used also but personnel issues are often better off kept behind closed doors.
Watch the interview with Coach Warren, obviously uncomfortable. I mean say TA had a better week of practice, say he understood UC’s offense better, say ANYTHING, but giving no reason is obviously going to raise questions. The people attending the presser asked, people here say they questioned it, why shouldn’t an answer be given ? Coaches are asked these questions all the time, lord, everyone is debating ad nauseam who should be under center. CTA came out strongly in favor of Penix, fine, and gave his reasoning, why not do the same in this instance, that is all I’m questioning. I don’t think there is some grand conspiracy, but it was pretty obvious UC was able to take advantage of the situation, so why not try Miller ?

I suggested an alternative to what I consider the dumb argument . . . . Ergo the use of “could be”

. . . . . .

So if - NOTE THE USE OF THE WORD IF . . . .

Key phrase from the original post:
. . . one could be forgiven for thinking that it's quite possible that Warren wanted to play Miller

By the way, I took a poll of my entire household on this topic. My wife and two sons are 100% behind me. On the other hand, my mother-in-law, who doesn't speak a lick of English, and to whom we forfeited our master bedroom I'll add for no particular reason, is certain that anyone taking the opposite side of any issue than I am is correct.

Last edited:
Tom Allen is better than what we have had. But it’s becoming increasing clear that we didn’t hire our Kirk Ferentz or Barry Alvarez.

I think you guys are really being harsh on Thomas Allen. He's made some plays over the years. Here are his freshman numbers: 2018 (Freshman): Made 28 tackles, 20 solo, with one sack, three for loss, one interception (30 yards), and two quarterback hurries ... played in all 12 games ... posted three stops, all solo, with one tackle for loss in his collegiate debut at Florida International (9/1) ... picked off his first career pass and added one QBH against Iowa (10/13) ... collected his first career sack against No. 18 Penn State (10/20) ... made four tackles with a half-TFL at Minnesota (10/26) ... Academic All-Big Ten selection. ... Also interesting. Micah McFadden was rated the No. 93 outside linebacker by ESPN in high school. Allen, his teammate at the school in Tampa, was rated the No. 29 inside linebacker by ESPN. Also, what really cost us the game Saturday was the offense and the kickoff return for the TD. The roughing penalty didn't help, but the interceptions, fumble at the 2 and the kick return were larger factors.

I coached my daughter at the Varsity level and I was more strict on her than any of my other players.

I would pull her quicker simply because I'd lose my team if anyone even perceived that I favored her. She understood this and made sure she was always prepared to compete.

This one bothers me.

I coached my daughter at the Varsity level and I was more strict on her than any of my other players.

I would pull her quicker simply because I'd lose my team if anyone even perceived that I favored her. She understood this and made sure she was always prepared to compete.

This one bothers me.
What part bothers you?

Reactions: jsenleo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT