ADVERTISEMENT

MSU couldn’t throw it in the ocean today...

Wiedersehen

Junior
Jan 6, 2019
Let’s hope that’s the version of Sparty that we see this week and not the ridiculously good version we saw a week ago.

If we get the bad version of State, we’re back on the right side of the bubble and probably positioned ahead of MSU. Even with a loss at Purdue, one Big Ten tourney win would get the job done.

Yeah. Two of next three and think they’re in. Hopefully MSU is looking ahead too (both Mich games) and maybe the amount of games is catching up. Either way - IU still has a pulse.

Unlikely ... probably. Possible - absolutely.

The snag is that if IU only wins one game in the BTT, they’ll come out of it at .500, since you keep playing until you lose (or ... ugh ... win the whole thing). Wouldn’t they need to win two?

EDIT.
Beat bad MSU. 13-12, 8-10.
Lose, of course, to PU. 13-13, 8-11.
Win game one, BTT. 14-13 (9-11).
Lose game two, BTT. 14-14 (9-12).

Last edited:
The snag is that if IU only wins one game in the BTT, they’ll come out of it at .500, since you keep playing until you lose (or ... ugh ... win the whole thing). Wouldn’t they need to win two?
I had the same question in another thread as I think this is one of, if not the most likely outcomes over the next two weeks.

EDIT.
Beat bad MSU. 13-12, 8-10.
Lose, of course, to PU. 13-13, 8-11.
Win game one, BTT. 14-13 (9-11).
Lose game two, BTT. 14-14 (9-12).

Given the B1G this year, assuming they beat Maryland in that game ... I think they are IN.

As crazy as it sounds ... this season is FAR FROM OVER

Reactions: Wiedersehen
Given the B1G this year, assuming they beat Maryland in that game ... I think they are IN.

As crazy as it sounds ... this season is FAR FROM OVER
That’s fine. I’m not a big brackets dude. I haven’t any idea what the selection cabal might think of a .500 IU. Just pointing out that a team has to win *two* games in the BTT to come out of it in the black.

Why would you want to make the NCAA Tournament? It probably guarantees that Archie comes back next season. We need the bottom to fall out.

CAM is coming back, regardless of what happens next month. As a fan, I want to see TJD, Al, (and others) play in the dance. I want to see those striped pants take the floor in Indy in a game that matters.

I want Archie gone now, interim coach OK. However I want the young men that represent IU on this team to make the tournament even if it means putting up with Archie another year.
It's selfish to want to deny our players a chance to play.

Reactions: Pledgemygrievance
MSU will probably be lites out Tuesday . I hope the Hoosiers play great and win , but I have strong doubts that they will . I don't think that IU will make the the tourney , and to be honest I don't they have played well enough to deserve a bid .

Reactions: kmathum
MSU will probably be lites out Tuesday . I hope the Hoosiers play great and win , but I have strong doubts that they will . I don't think that IU will make the the tourney , and to be honest I don't they have played well enough to deserve a bid .

It obviously doesn’t work this way, but do you think IU is a top 68 team this year?

I think they are - unequivocally and without any doubt. Brutal conference and schedule.

They have two with Mich after IU ... hopefully looking ahead. Probably not, but this IU team has responded best with their back up against the wall. I actually didn’t hate the effort vs Mich. they are top 2 or 3 for a reason.

Reactions: Wiedersehen

MSU will beat IU by double digits. Perfect game for Archie and squad to completely lay a steaming pile at center court at Breslin. With this program, I completely expect it.

F that. Hope the boys go to pound town and mop it up this week. 90% Archie is coming back next year anyway - so let’s get behind these kids. Next year is Judgment Day.
As much as I want our Hoosiers to win, just what in the play from the last month that truly gives you hope we win either of these last two games? Plus Armann is out, Race is playing less than 100%.

We’re not going to catch Michigan St possibly overlooking us. And Purdue?

So then we might win one game in BTT against another cellar-dweller. You think THAT gets us in?

I hope so too, but I fully expect a loss. Just like PU, Rutgers, OSU and UM, those teams just know they are tougher. Did you worry about beating your little brother in the driveway? Those teams don't either.

Reactions: BigMobe
I hope so too, but I fully expect a loss. Just like PU, Rutgers, OSU and UM, those teams just know they are tougher. Did you worry about beating your little brother in the driveway? Those teams don't either.

I think people vastly underestimate how toxic Iu basketball will become if we lose these next two.

when fatjohns and peegs are openly printing articles about if it’s time to move on from Miller with 2 games left..... oh man a PU loss to cement it? 50/50 it isn’t announced he’s fired by the end of the big ten tourney.

I think people vastly underestimate how toxic Iu basketball will become if we lose these next two.

when fatjohns and peegs are openly printing articles about if it’s time to move on from Miller with 2 games left..... oh man a PU loss to cement it? 50/50 it isn’t announced he’s fired by the end of the big ten tourney.
I'm not sure it's not already become that toxic. It's a shame there are no fans, because honestly I don't think it would have made a difference record-wise with this team, but I think it would make an impact with administrators with boos raining down at home and with folks not showing up, and I believe both would have happened this year. Every IU fan I know, even the rainbows and sunshine crowd, is just sick. I record games now, and dread watching them. I generally check the score so I can delete them and not have to put myself through the misery. There is just nothing positive to hang your hat on about our program right now. Awful place to be.

I'm not sure it's not already become that toxic. It's a shame there are no fans, because honestly I don't think it would have made a difference record-wise with this team, but I think it would make an impact with administrators with boos raining down at home and with folks not showing up, and I believe both would have happened this year. Every IU fan I know, even the rainbows and sunshine crowd, is just sick. I record games now, and dread watching them. I generally check the score so I can delete them and not have to put myself through the misery. There is just nothing positive to hang your hat on about our program right now. Awful place to be.

Well lets see what the 100 or so votes we can gather on the hoosier tell us.... lol

Just cuz I don't wanna start a new thread on this, I will throw it here. Man does this not make you sick? We had him!!!!! and half our fanbase thinks hiring him was the worst decision we have made as a program. That just boggles my mind!!!!

Reactions: kmathum
Let’s hope that’s the version of Sparty that we see this week and not the ridiculously good version we saw a week ago.

If we get the bad version of State, we’re back on the right side of the bubble and probably positioned ahead of MSU. Even with a loss at Purdue, one Big Ten tourney win would get the job done.
That is funny. Name a team we played this season who had a "bad day". It doesn't happen. Quite the opposite actually.

As much as I want our Hoosiers to win, just what in the play from the last month that truly gives you hope we win either of these last two games? Plus Armann is out, Race is playing less than 100%.

We’re not going to catch Michigan St possibly overlooking us. And Purdue?

So then we might win one game in BTT against another cellar-dweller. You think THAT gets us in?
One vs Purdue or MSU and presumably they play Maryland game one (and win). Then yes.

unequivocally? You cant unequivocally say they are a top 10 team in the big ten! Can’t say they are better than Duke.

This team has played awful basketball

Maybe crappy b-ball last few games - but their resume is easily top 68. Easily. Zero question. You’re telling me South Dakota and Colorado St would’ve done better with IUs schedule?! I don’t even know where those schools are.

I actually didn’t hate the effort vs Michigan ... they’re a top 2 or 3 team for a reason.

I’m not sure we would’ve seen mass booing, but I do think attendance would’ve plummeted this year as it became clearer that Miller isn’t the guy. As upset as some are, I think many more are simply wearing the scars of two decades of mostly uninspired play and the results that have followed, and they’re losing interest. They’ll always be fans, but they won’t make attending or watching the priority it’s been, and fewer will actively engage with the program.

Apathy is the big winner here, and I think the noise we would’ve increasingly heard this year is the echo off the walls and empty seats in AH. I say all of this with the continued belief that Miller isn’t going anywhere, and also with the realization that our closest rival is poised to be pretty good over the next few years, which will only increase the sting of our descent to irrelevance.

Just cuz I don't wanna start a new thread on this, I will throw it here. Man does this not make you sick? We had him!!!!! and half our fanbase thinks hiring him was the worst decision we have made as a program. That just boggles my mind!!!!

He lied, then cheated, then lied again, then cheated some more, then lied even more. And he was defiant that he only repeatedly broke rules that he promised he would not and that, after all, they really weren’t big rules anyway.

That’s who you wanted as a representative of IU?

Maybe crappy b-ball last few games - but their resume is easily top 68. Easily. Zero question. You’re telling me South Dakota and Colorado St would’ve done better with IUs schedule?! I don’t even know where those schools are.

I actually didn’t hate the effort vs Michigan ... they’re a top 2 or 3 team for a reason.
Unfortunately, "top 68 get in" is not how it works.

They'll have to win 2 of the next 3 games (or 4 if one the wins is in the BTT). Hope like hell they get in, but it's not looking good for the home team.

Indiana basketball is in year four of a coach's tenure and to try to get on the right side of the NCAA bubble, their fans are hoping their under .500 in the Big10 opponent has a bad shooting night.

i just...i don't have words.

Unfortunately, "top 68 get in" is not how it works.

They'll have to win 2 of the next 3 games (or 4 if one the wins is in the BTT). Hope like hell they get in, but it's not looking good for the home team.
Yes. I’ve said that multiple times. I realize that’s not how it works. I’m talking about the team in general being a top 50 team this season.

You didn’t answer the question.

We know what is technically possible. But what in their play the past month can support the Hoosiers actually winning 2 of the next 3?
Thought they played decent vs Mich. have beaten Iowa twice. Took ILL, Wis, FSU to OT. So - I think they are capable. I realize the last few games have been rough ... but,

MSU has played like 6 games in 4 days. Maybe it’s caught up with them and IU can steal one. Maybe they can adjust/prepare to stopping a kid driving to his right all game. Plus they know they have two big Mich games right after IU. And Archie has actually beaten MSU.

Maybe Purdue shoots 20% and water finds it’s level. Then Maryland.

Probable? No? Possible - sure. If IU were playing Michigan again and O$U or someone ... no chance. But that’s not the case.

Anyway, point being .... as brutal as this has been - the season is far from over.

The difference was that Maryland played solid defense. They didn't let Sparty, and more particularly, Henry, get to the basket or drive and dish. Maryland would beat us by 15-20 right now.

Man, the ministry of propaganda is hard at it today.

So what if they played Illinois hard? We also should have been swept by NU, and barely beat PSU.

As far as I can tell we beat 2 NCAA teams all year: Iowa and Maryland.

Can we hang a banner for being lackadaisical? How about TWO banners, one for Jekyll and one for Hyde?

Man, the ministry of propaganda is hard at it today.

So what if they played Illinois hard? We also should have been swept by NU, and barely beat PSU.

As far as I can tell we beat 2 NCAA teams all year: Iowa and Maryland.

Can we hang a banner for being lackadaisical? How about TWO banners, one for Jekyll and one for Hyde?
Point is - they are capable and have shown it at points in this season. They’ve also crapped the bed. I get it.

But MSU, Purdue, and Maryland is not like playing Michigan, Baylor, and Gonzaga

The season is over. This team is done. Next season under Archie would be no better.

ADVERTISEMENT