ADVERTISEMENT

Mother Tucker

Tucker Carlson's head writer resigned for posting sexist and racist posts on an online forum. I would have guessed that would have been a job requirement.

Tucker is a strange one.

more than any other talking head, i think he could change sides tomorrow, and be a totally different person.

people like to think the hosts are their own people on their shows.

they aren't. they are spokespeople for those defining the terms.

no doubt their personal leanings influence their hire, but once hired and deciding to take the millions, they belong to and serve someone else's agendas. (or risk the millions).

i'm guessing there are many things Rachael could do a full season of shows on that she isn't even allowed to touch, and it annoys the heck out of her that she can't. (especially on her many redundant show nights, when she knows there are many really great stories out there she can't so much as touch, due to not being able to be her own person if it conflicts with her superiors' agendas).

I don't think he would change sides, but he used to be a "normal" Republican. He's (in the words of Bob Menery) "gone full retard" at Fox. I honestly don't believe HE believes the nonsense he's spewing, but he's being paid big bucks to replace O'Reilly and he needs to deliver or be jettisoned.

As Republican strategist Steve Schmidt said on the PBS Frontline episode I linked elsewhere, cable news (mostly Fox), social media, and talk radio have destroyed any kind of centrist dialogue we used to have. Republicans are far worse, though. They're living in a post-fact universe. Trump has now lied over 20,000 times. Any Republican congressmen calling him out?

Nope. I urge people to watch this episode:

I have never voted Republican and Schmidt has left the Republican Party, but his opinion on the state of American politics is exactly what I believe. If there was someone in that ballpark, I could vote for them. Unfortunately, the Republican party is dead and buried. They're the Party of Trump.

Tucker is a strange one.

more than any other talking head, i think he could change sides tomorrow, and be a totally different person.

people like to think the hosts are their own people on their shows.

they aren't. they are spokespeople for those defining the terms.

no doubt their personal leanings influence their hire, but once hired and deciding to take the millions, they belong to and serve someone else's agendas. (or risk the millions).

i'm guessing there are many things Rachael could do a full season of shows on that she isn't even allowed to touch, and it annoys the heck out of her that she can't. (especially on her many redundant show nights, when she knows there are many really great stories out there she can't so much as touch, due to not being able to be her own person if it conflicts with her superiors' agendas).

Reactions: Circlejoe
I don't think he would change sides, but he used to be a "normal" Republican. He's (in the words of Bob Menery) "gone full retard" at Fox. I honestly don't believe HE believes the nonsense he's spewing, but he's being paid big bucks to replace O'Reilly and he needs to deliver or be jettisoned.

As Republican strategist Steve Schmidt said on the PBS Frontline episode I linked elsewhere, cable news (mostly Fox), social media, and talk radio have destroyed any kind of centrist dialogue we used to have. Republicans are far worse, though. They're living in a post-fact universe. Trump has now lied over 20,000 times. Any Republican congressmen calling him out?

I have never voted Republican and Schmidt has left the Republican Party, but his opinion on the state of American politics is exactly what I believe. If there was someone in that ballpark, I could vote for them. Unfortunately, the Republican party is dead and buried. They're the Party of Trump.
It goes both ways, Doctor. Democrats keep up nicely on the lies.

Reactions: Lucy01

You can’t be very successful and be a Democrat!

It goes both ways, Doctor. Democrats keep up nicely on the lies.
The logging of presidential lies by the Washington Post is not a new thing. They did it for Obama and for Bush 43, and maybe even before that. I forget what Obama's lie/distortion tally was for 8 years, but memory seems to suggest it was up near 1,000. Nowhere near the pace of the orange fool, 20,000 in 3.5 years. Bush 43 was similar to Obama in his totals, IIRC.

When he was with MSNBC long long ago he played the George Will role, even down to the bow tie. He was reasonable and coherent, more libertarian than right wing conservative.

Reactions: brianiu and DrHoops
When he was with MSNBC long long ago he played the George Will role, even down to the bow tie. He was reasonable and coherent, more libertarian than right wing conservative.
Still annoying though.
No argument from me. That said, there are few "pundits" that I don't find annoying in some fashion. Even one of my favorites -- Rachel -- drives me up the wall when she goes into her "say the same thing five times in succession simply by changing the wording in the sentence around" routine.

No argument from me. That said, there are few "pundits" that I don't find annoying in some fashion. Even one of my favorites -- Rachel -- drives me up the wall when she goes into her "say the same thing five times in succession simply by changing the wording in the sentence around" routine.
Ya. Agree. If you put yourself out there, you expose your flaws.

I find Tucker to be unwatchable. I know he's smart, and yet he has this schtick to throw regularly intelligence to the wind in order to promote the Fox agenda. All while wearing a smarmy grin.

edit: by the way, I feel the same way about Don Lemon, though I certainly am more in agreement with him. Unwatchable. With Lemon you get a long harangue, stuck on repeat, without the insights or reaching out to guests with intelligence and differing viewpoints that you see with A Cooper or with Cuomo. these days I find myself watching more BBC, PBS, and listening to NPR. Less repetition, better sourcing, less formulaic spin.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrHoops
Trump 2020

s-l300.jpg

Agree 100%. It's his furrowed brow that annoys me. Everything he talks about is framed as something very serious and intelligent, but is actually nonsense geared for the lowest common denominator. He gives Trump a run for his money in terms of outright falsehoods too. It's just embarrassing that there is an audience for that garbage.

I find Tucker to be unwatchable. I know he's smart, and yet he has this schtick to throw regularly intelligence to the wind in order to promote the Fox agenda. All while wearing a smarmy grin.

edit: by the way, I feel the same way about Don Lemon, though I certainly am more in agreement with him. Unwatchable. With Lemon you get a long harangue, stuck on repeat, without the insights or reaching out to guests with intelligence and differing viewpoints that you see with A Cooper or with Cuomo. these days I find myself watching more BBC, PBS, and listening to NPR. Less repetition, better sourcing, less formulaic spin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT