ADVERTISEMENT

Mostly Peaceful

i didn't read your whole post. too long per usual. biased per usual from what little i read. as for "shy" voters. i didn't make that up. it was chronicled from the polling errors in 2016 as one of many factors.
[/QUOTE]

You do realize that the majority of "my post" was the NYT article I linked and the discussion they included of the analysis Pawlenty and Walker provided of the effect of the protests in their respective states of MN and WI? I mean I linked the article for people to read and I posted large excerpts for some people to be able to conveniently read without having to click the link. I appreciate when folks do that for me, so I tried to return the favor- I hate blind links...

I never accused you of making up the "shy Trump voter" meme, but it has been discussed and researched a little more in-depth than the analysis either you or I made in our respective posts. I read this analysis and had saved it to my file when it was written back in July, but I was too lazy to look it up when I made my initial post.

You'll note it specifically notes and discusses the "polling errors" you referred to. And btw, Jonah Goldberg is a prominent Conservative, so it doesn't make sense to accuse him of bias...

"The theory holds that there is a large reserve army of secret Trump voters who are afraid, in this time of cancel culture, to state their preference, and that’s why the polls are so lopsided.

The theory is partly a hangover from 2016. It’s true that pollsters undercounted Trump voters in that election. But it’s a huge jump to think it was because SMAGA (Secret Make America Great Again) voters were refusing to state their preference. A postmortem by the polling industry went looking for significant numbers of SMAGAs and came up empty.

If people were afraid to tell the truth to pollsters, there should have been a gap between results from polls conducted by humans and machines. There wasn’t. "Interviewer-administered polls did not underestimate Trump’s support more than self-administered [automated] and online surveys." Pew even tested the theory by dividing interviews between live interviewers and automated ones, finding “no significant difference by mode of interview on any of four questions asking directly about Trump."

There were real polling failures in 2016, particularly at the state level, but they weren’t that wrong. An average of the final national polls indicated a Clinton victory of 3.3%. She won the popular vote by 2.1% — well within the margin of error. Pollsters called 47 out of 50 states correctly and they weren’t all that off in the ones they got wrong. Remember, Trump won thanks to 80,000 votes in three states."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/goldberg-army-secret-trump-voters-190948417.html

"Sure, some undecided voters could be considered “secret” voters for one candidate or another, but only if they were lying about being undecided, and there’s little evidence of that. Moreover, common sense would suggest that social desirability bias — the driver for secret or “shy” voting theories — would be strongest in blue states, where Trump will lose no matter what. Many of the anecdotes of secret voters come from Republicans who live in places like New York and California. In states where the race is close — the only states that really matter in this election — something like half the voters support Trump, so why would anyone have to be afraid to say they’re voting for him? "

Last edited:
I believe this was true in 2016 but also believe that the % of "hidden followers" is much smaller in 2020. Additionally, I also believe that a lot of the independents that decided to give "change" a chance or were simply repulsed by Hillary in 2016 will not do so in 2020.
Agree completely. Then there are the Johnson and Stein voters. This go 'round, I think a number of those who cast a third party "protest vote" in 2016 will go with Biden because he doesn't revolt people like HRC did and just to try and put an end to the madness.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
i didn't read your whole post. too long per usual. biased per usual from what little i read. as for "shy" voters. i didn't make that up. it was chronicled from the polling errors in 2016 as one of many factors.

You do realize that the majority of "my post" was the NYT article I linked and the discussion they included of the analysis Pawlenty and Walker provided of the effect of the protests in their respective states of MN and WI? I mean I linked the article for people to read and I posted large excerpts for some people to be able to conveniently read without having to click the link. I appreciate when folks do that for me, so I tried to return the favor- I hate blind links...

I never accused you of making up the "shy Trump voter" meme, but it has been discussed and researched a little more in-depth than the analysis either you or I made in our respective posts. I read this analysis and had saved it to my file when it was written back in July, but I was too lazy to look it up when I made my initial post.

You'll note it specifically notes and discusses the "polling errors" you referred to. And btw, Jonah Goldberg is a prominent Conservative, so it doesn't make sense to accuse him of bias...

"The theory holds that there is a large reserve army of secret Trump voters who are afraid, in this time of cancel culture, to state their preference, and that’s why the polls are so lopsided.

The theory is partly a hangover from 2016. It’s true that pollsters undercounted Trump voters in that election. But it’s a huge jump to think it was because SMAGA (Secret Make America Great Again) voters were refusing to state their preference. A postmortem by the polling industry went looking for significant numbers of SMAGAs and came up empty.

If people were afraid to tell the truth to pollsters, there should have been a gap between results from polls conducted by humans and machines. There wasn’t. "Interviewer-administered polls did not underestimate Trump’s support more than self-administered [automated] and online surveys." Pew even tested the theory by dividing interviews between live interviewers and automated ones, finding “no significant difference by mode of interview on any of four questions asking directly about Trump."

There were real polling failures in 2016, particularly at the state level, but they weren’t that wrong. An average of the final national polls indicated a Clinton victory of 3.3%. She won the popular vote by 2.1% — well within the margin of error. Pollsters called 47 out of 50 states correctly and they weren’t all that off in the ones they got wrong. Remember, Trump won thanks to 80,000 votes in three states."

"Sure, some undecided voters could be considered “secret” voters for one candidate or another, but only if they were lying about being undecided, and there’s little evidence of that. Moreover, common sense would suggest that social desirability bias — the driver for secret or “shy” voting theories — would be strongest in blue states, where Trump will lose no matter what. Many of the anecdotes of secret voters come from Republicans who live in places like New York and California. In states where the race is close — the only states that really matter in this election — something like half the voters support Trump, so why would anyone have to be afraid to say they’re voting for him? "

[/QUOTE]
Lmao look how long. I’m not reading this. Listen, I’m on the toilet maybe a half dozen times a day. During that time I like to take a break and read this board. I like bulk’s posts. Short. To the point. Sometimes a funny pic. I don’t agree with most of TPM TMP’s positions but he gets his message across - short and to the point. Great. If I read whatever the hell you write and whatever random guy on twitter you cherry pick i’d have no time for what others write. What’s more the few times I’ve negotiated my way through your posts they’re just a very long-winded way of saying democrats good republicans bad protesters only good opposition only bad. Not. Worth. Reading. Predictable. And too longggggggggggggg

Lmao look how long. I’m not reading this. Listen, I’m on the toilet maybe a half dozen times a day. During that time I like to take a break and read this board. I like bulk’s posts. Short. To the point. Sometimes a funny pic. I don’t agree with most of TPM TMP’s positions but he gets his message across - short and to the point. Great. If I read whatever the hell you write and whatever random guy on twitter you cherry pick i’d have no time for what others write. What’s more the few times I’ve negotiated my way through your posts they’re just a very long-winded way of saying democrats good republicans bad protesters only good opposition only bad. Not. Worth. Reading. Predictable. And too longggggggggggggg
[/QUOTE]

Whoa, whoa, whoa...wait!
On the toilet 6 times a day? Do you eat a steady diet of ColonBlast Cereal? No wonder you are such a grouchy old man. I guess diaper rash is a bitch.
And am I to assume that you read my posts while all that is going on? That's almost enough to make me stop posting.
Almost.

Reactions: cosmickid

Whoa, whoa, whoa...wait!
On the toilet 6 times a day? Do you eat a steady diet of ColonBlast Cereal? No wonder you are such a grouchy old man. I guess diaper rash is a bitch.
And am I to assume that you read my posts while all that is going on? That's almost enough to make me stop posting.
Almost.
[/QUOTE]
Lmao. I’m very regular. And my office is next to starbucks. Double whammy

Just like all trumpers are so peaceful. Maybe some day soon we can have a president that doesn't flame the fires.

yabut yabut

Maybe someday the left won't rely on violence to get their point across. What they fail to learn from history is that it backfires every single time.

yabut yabut

Maybe someday the left won't rely on violence to get their point across. What they fail to learn from history is that it backfires every single time.

left isn't doing anything. Those aren't left sponsored events numbnuts. Even Biden has said multiple times that he doesn't condone the looting and violence. But the protests themselves, as long as they are peaceful, are perfectly legal.

My guess is the McDonald's manager will be fired by the end of the week.
I don’t know. Mcdonald’s is already defending a class action against black franchisees for directing them to shitty locations with high crime etc leading to lower profits

Just like all trumpers are so peaceful. Maybe some day soon we can have a president that doesn't flame the fires.

You keep making this dumb ass assertion so I am going to ask you to explain how Trump is fanning the flames that causes BLM to go out and mess with diners. If Trump was the racist, arsonist that you keep claiming, would not the roles be reversed? Would it not be his people out messing with people like you when you are having dinner?

Where are all of the working class whites invading the inner city, harassing people? I will give you the two I can think of. Some people in Portland who got tired of 100 days of rioting by a group that supposedly does not exist and the Rittenhouse kid who sent a pedophile and a wife beater to meet their maker. So there are the 2 main ones I can think of. I can give you 100 instances of people who are very clearly not Trump voters rioting in Portland alone.

And please, if you are going to roll out the "right wing agitators" conspiracy BS, please explain why the DA in Portland keeps releasing these people and why Democrat mayors all over the country do not stamp out these Republican ne'er-do-wells. (Hint: because it is a bad idea to throw your own voters in the klink this close to an election.)

This is a left thing. Period. And they are planning more of it unless they get their way in November.

Yup, Trumpers are just peaceful little humans that mind their own business.

Go back to mama's basement. Halfway intelligent people aren't going to buy your crap.

yabut yabut

Hilarious, all the Trump presidency needs is a meaningless war to be consistent with other GOP presidents. I’m guessing that would come in the second term.

Reactions: DrHoops
Joe Biden and the evil witch are corrupt liars. She is willing to watch lot and lots of innocent people rot in jail that she prosecuted just to get a prosecution win and make her record all shiny looking. TRump was not in office when these people incorrectly sent to prison. Of cpurse he is not helping them either. He is just clueless and spouts out anythig he wants.

The Republocrats are on the same team and together have run this country into the ground for the last century. They have concocted a political civil war that should have never happened. Biden in the 90's was the main architect to ramp up funding to escalate wars in the streets claiming it is a war on drugs when drug use is still as rampant as ever. What has been accomplished except running up a massive debt. These drug wars use federal funded local police that target minorities. Could care less about what BLM riots are doing. The govt'. stoked all this. It is to bad that they can't see aligning themselves with Biden is very hypocritical and won't solve anything for them except make the issue worse.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
"On his watch" and its cousin "the buck stops in the oval office" arguments are the dumbest arguments ever. It's telling that the Democrats have increased the frequency of these arguments. Only losers who can't think in terms of cause and effect, let alone articulate cause and effect, make those arguments. That's most of the Democrats these days.

Why does Trump keep playing that stupid game? Joe Biden is not the president, but Trump sure acts like he is.

Hilarious, all the Trump presidency needs is a meaningless war to be consistent with other GOP presidents. I’m guessing that would come in the second term.

What I find so absolutely ridiculous is Trump's assertion that there will be a vaccine "by Election Day". As if science is waiting on an election timeline.

After 4 years, I'm still amazed that this imbecile is still popular among the vast majority of Republicans. It's shocking. Disturbing that anyone can't see through his ridiculous veneer.

The issue is should we vote for a POTUS who is in simpatico with those who run NYC, Portland, Minneapolis, Chicago and the other dozens of cities were police were ordered to stand down, no cash bails are in effect, and prosecutors won’t prosecute those who were arrested during a “peaceful” protest.

CoH, interested in your take on how unlawful protesters are being dealt with in Chicago.

Report is from ABC affiliate owned by the Disney Group which is hardly a conservative outlet. My take is this media outlet is being critical of charges being filed against over a 1,000 arrested over one weekend as 80% of the arrests are for only for disorderly conduct.

Report in part states the following,

Nearly 80 percent of those arrested in Chicago riots last weekend were charged with disorderly conduct, according to police department numbers provided to the ABC7 I-Team on Tuesday.​
Friday, Saturday and Sunday arrests totaled a little more than 1,000; 832 were disorderly conduct.​
"I'm sure the state's attorney and CPD are busy trying to figure out who's going to be prosecuted but possibly felonies, and who isn't," said Jeff Cramer, a former federal prosecutor in Chicago. "I would imagine the majority of people brought in, are not going to be prosecuted."​
Only a fraction of the thousand-plus arrested over the weekend were even presented by police to the Cook County state's attorney for possible serious felony charges, according to preliminary records provided to the I-Team.​
Officials with the state's attorney's office say last weekend the cases of 253 defendants were handed over to their felony review division for possible approval of charges. 184 of those cases-most of them gun charges-were approved and 24 were rejected for an authorization rate they say of 88%.​
Among 40 defendants that were reviewed for burglary, the state's attorney says 26 were approved and four were rejected. That reflects an approval rate of those cases presented by police of 87%.​

that causes BLM to go out and mess with diners.

Do any of you understand what ratio is? Are you really this unaware?

Let's put it this way, if we were playing poker, you would be short stack.

You don't have enough chips to play in this game, you can barely cover the ante.

This thread is hilariously stupid..

The word mostly means a majority. Majority is anything over 50%. So if 50.000000000001 of the protests and protesters are peaceful then that would qualify as mostly. Isolated examples do not disqualify the majority until they equal a majority.

Why are you people so dumb?

Last edited:
only for disorderly conduct.

Winking and disorderly conduct is the problem. Yelling at people who want to dine at an outside cafe, blocking streets, shouting slogans with bullhorns in residential areas, and violating curfew all should be prosecuted. Undercover officers should mingle with the crowds and seize baseball bats, frozen water bottles, and molotov cocktails on sight. None of that is peaceful protests; it just assholes playing a role.

Focusing only on felonies like looters, arsonists, and those those attacking cops with lethal weapons is like trying to stop an explosion while the explosion is happening.

Reactions: dbmhoosier and 76-1
This thread is hilariously stupid..

The word mostly means a majority. Majority is anything over 50%. So if 50.000000000001 of the protests and protesters are peaceful then that would qualify as mostly. Isolated incidences do not disqualify the majority until those incidences equal a majority.

Why are you people so dumb?

Do you really believe this is about numbers? 10 imbedded looters and arsonists in a march of 100 peaceful people can make the whole march look violent. This is a deliberate plan. Once the fires and looting start, the whole protest becomes up for grabs.

Forests = massive protests against systemic racism

Trees = ongoing isolated violence & intimidation

Left reacts to the first, the right is obsessed with the second.

Winking and disorderly conduct is the problem. Yelling at people who want to dine at an outside cafe, blocking streets, shouting slogans with bullhorns in residential areas, and violating curfew all should be prosecuted. Undercover officers should mingle with the crowds and seize baseball bats, frozen water bottles, and molotov cocktails on sight. None of that is peaceful protests; it just assholes playing a role.

Focusing only on felonies like looters, arsonists, and those those attacking cops with lethal weapons is like trying to stop an explosion while the explosion is happening.

What do you think about these folks?

When i see these fine folks i think of the hulk hogan theme song. these are true americans fighting for what's right. heroes really. same bull*hit. other side of the coin.

There is one significant difference at least IMO. These guys are all flying the Trump flag. The shit head anarchists are not under the Biden banner. But these far right nuts are all very into Trump.

[/QUOTE]
I don’t know. The "BLM" protesters and rioters certainly aren't as homogeneous as this crew. The woke kids screaming at diners fall under the ambit of Democrats for sure. i have some in my extended family. i think the BLM side, painting broadly, has more types. the ozark looking crew on the right is more easily defined

There is one significant difference at least IMO. These guys are all flying the Trump flag. The shit head anarchists are not under the Biden banner. But these far right nuts are all very into Trump.

I think this is correct. 100%

What post were you responding to? No connection to mine obviously

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT