ADVERTISEMENT

Most pointless job?

One of my two favorite responses from your cult.

The other one is, god works in mysterious ways.

They are both code for, I have no reasonable, intelligent, logical or practical answer.

I think I will start using those excuses as well. They are handy.

I never use the latter.

There will be scoffers.

It is known.

regarding the most pointless job - it'd gotta be Vanna White's job. I hadn't seen Wheel of Fortune in years and happened to catch a bit recently. The letters are all digital now and supposedly light up when she touches them. She doesn't even have to turn the letters like she did back in the 80s.

I guess an argument could be made that the entire show is completely unnecessary and pointless, but I imagine she is making a crap ton of money for something that is completely unnecessary.

I disagree... In essence, her job is part of a larger category I describe as to "Stand there and look pretty!" This is not the same as the "Bimbo" position from the "Discuss" thread. One may think they are the same, but they are vastly different.

The "Stand there and look pretty" position is sort of like feng shui for hetro-dudes. Their presence adds to the pleasing aesthetics thus fostering an atmosphere conducive for intellectual thought. Without Vanna, contestants would all to frequently descend into fits of Tourette's syndrome, trade snarky jabs at one another and perhaps even disintegrate into anarchy.

Now the "Bimbo" on the other hand is pretty much the opposite... Their role is to create havoc, generally enhanced by mass consumption of alcohol. They are adept at bringing ruin upon the weaker males of the species as this seems to be ancillary to their very nature. Although... some stories of "Bimbos" are legendary, almost mythical... but like most ancient stories, they end in tragedy.

Last edited:
The worthless **** at the restaurant who comes by after you've eaten, but before you've paid the bill and pretends to care if everything was satisfactory and then tries to engage in other small talk. Leave us the fvck alone.

The worthless **** at the restaurant who comes by after you've eaten, but before you've paid the bill and pretends to care if everything was satisfactory and then tries to engage in other small talk. Leave us the fvck alone.

I wonder if this was part of Goat's job at the restaurant.

Ah, I understand now. You don't speak English. That explains it.

Since you obviously aren't going to enlighten yourself: This thread is about jobs and occupations, not hobbies. Anyone can preach as a hobby. We have several here who preach ... just like I lawyer.

However, by definition, a preacher is defined by what he preaches, not where he preaches. A preacher preaches the gospel. Osteen doesn't touch the gospel. He espouses feel good rhetoric, not Jesus.

#notapreacher

Since you obviously aren't going to enlighten yourself: This thread is about jobs and occupations, not hobbies. Anyone can preach as a hobby. We have several here who preach ... just like I lawyer.

However, by definition, a preacher is defined by what he preaches, not where he preaches. A preacher preaches the gospel. Osteen doesn't touch the gospel. He espouses feel good rhetoric, not Jesus.

#notapreacher
In other words, you personally don't think his message is valid.

I don't have a problem with that. I don't think his message is valid either. But let's be honest with what you're talking about. You don't want to grant him the title "preacher" because you don't like what he preaches.

#notapreacher

From Joel's website:

Sharing Hope for Today
We are so thankful for the opportunity to share the greatest message of all with individuals, families and communities all over the world. This ministry is committed to helping people from all walks of life experience the unconditional love and unending hope found only in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

We are sharing this hope with others by providing the basic necessities of food, clothing and medical supplies to those in need. We are using television, internet, podcasts and other new technologies to reach others with the Good News of the gospel. We are dedicated to helping people everywhere be inspired and rediscover their true purpose in life.

#moopsisnotapreacherexpert

In other words, you personally don't think his message is valid.

I don't have a problem with that. I don't think his message is valid either. But let's be honest with what you're talking about. You don't want to grant him the title "preacher" because you don't like what he preaches.

No. He doesn't preach the gospel. Period. I didn't make up the definition.

He's merely a motivational speaker in the guise of a man of God.

He has you fooled. He's done his job.

He's a preacher. One does not have to preach the gospel to be rightly called a preacher. This debate is silly.

From Joel's website:

Sharing Hope for Today
We are so thankful for the opportunity to share the greatest message of all with individuals, families and communities all over the world. This ministry is committed to helping people from all walks of life experience the unconditional love and unending hope found only in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

We are sharing this hope with others by providing the basic necessities of food, clothing and medical supplies to those in need. We are using television, internet, podcasts and other new technologies to reach others with the Good News of the gospel. We are dedicated to helping people everywhere be inspired and rediscover their true purpose in life.

#moopsisnotapreacherexpert

I thought preachers say things out loud not merely write a phrase on a website. Nothing written here is the gospel. And you won't here it come from his mouth.

Please share the gospel with me so that I know he has taught it to you. What has he taught you?

No. He doesn't preach the gospel. Period. I didn't make up the definition.

He's merely a motivational speaker in the guise of a man of God.

He has you fooled. He's done his job.
No, he doesn't have me fooled. I think he's a charlatan. But he's also a goddamn preacher and there are very few things more annoying to me than sanctimonious Christians responding to their bad eggs with, "Well, he's not really one of us." Your religion contains some jackasses. Own it.

I thought preachers say things out loud not merely write a phrase on a website. Nothing written here is the gospel. And you won't here it come from his mouth.

Please share the gospel with me so that I know he has taught it to you. What has he taught you?

He's taught me you are a dumbass who doesn't know either what the word preacher means or who Joel Osteen is. Is that in the gospel?

No, he doesn't have me fooled. I think he's a charlatan. But he's also a goddamn preacher and there are very few things more annoying to me than sanctimonious Christians responding to their bad eggs with, "Well, he's not really one of us." Your religion contains some jackasses. Own it.

You obviously don't know your bible.

I was waiting on that

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/preach

Full Definition of preach
intransitive verb
  1. 1: to deliver a sermon

2. 2: to urge acceptance or abandonment of an idea or course of action; specifically : to exhort in an officious or tiresome manner
transitive verb
  1. 1: to set forth in a sermon <preach the gospel>

2. 2: to advocate earnestly <preached revolution>

3. 3: to deliver (as a sermon) publicly

4. 4: to bring, put, or affect by preaching <preached the … church out of debt — American Guide Series: Virginia>
preacher noun
preachingly play\ˈprē-chiŋ-lē\ adverb

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sermon

Full Definition of sermon
  1. 1: a religious discourse delivered in public usually by a clergyman as a part of a worship service

2. 2: a speech on conduct or duty
sermonic play\ˌsər-ˈmä-nik\ adjective

/mic drop.

I was waiting on that.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/preach

Full Definition of preach
  1. intransitive verb
  2. 1: to deliver a sermon

3. 2: to urge acceptance or abandonment of an idea or course of action; specifically : to exhort in an officious or tiresome manner

4. transitive verb
  5. 1: to set forth in a sermon <preach the gospel>

6. 2: to advocate earnestly <preached revolution>

7. 3: to deliver (as a sermon) publicly

8. 4: to bring, put, or affect by preaching <preached the … church out of debt — American Guide Series: Virginia>
preacher noun
preachingly play\ˈprē-chiŋ-lē\ adverb

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sermon

Full Definition of sermon
  1. 1: a religious discourse delivered in public usually by a clergyman as a part of a worship service

2. 2: a speech on conduct or duty
sermonic play\ˌsər-ˈmä-nik\ adjective

/mic drop.

I've been using dictionary.com for over a decade. I don't pick and choose what site I want to use. You might as well call him a rabbi.

Also, now that I look at it closer, you didn't even provide preacher. You provided preach and sermon.

I've been using dictionary.com for over a decade. I don't pick and choose what site I want to use. You might as well call him a rabbi.

Also, now that I look at it closer, you didn't even provide preacher. You provided preach and sermon.
You don't pick and choose what dictionary to use? You just said you use dictionary.com. I use Mirriam-Webster. No matter.

I assumed one could make the connection between what it means to preach, and one who preaches. I provided a definition of sermon since the top definition by Mirriam Webster of preach is to deliver a sermon. So it is useful in that case to look at what a sermon is, in case one would want to wrongly assert that a sermon is necessarily a message about the gospel.

LOL. I respect you too much to have this fight, Moops, but I know my damn Bible. Better than most Christians, in fact.
Correction: Better than most people who call themselves Christians.

Obviously in the previous post and this post I am referring to the message where Christ states he will say "I do not know you" to many who 'claim' to be followers of Christ ... who have prophesied in His name.

So NO ... I will not OWN up to them as you suggest I should. Not even Christ will.

You don't pick and choose what dictionary to use? You just said you use dictionary.com. I use Mirriam-Webster. No matter.

I assumed one could make the connection between what it means to preach, and one who preaches. I provided a definition of sermon since the top definition by Mirriam Webster of preach is to deliver a sermon. So it is useful in that case to look at what a sermon is, in case one would want to wrongly assert that a sermon is necessarily a message about the gospel.
I also said I have used dictionary.com for over a decade. EXCLUSIVELY. That is not picking and choosing.

Correction: Better than most people who call themselves Christians.

Obviously in the previous post and this post I am referring to the message where Christ states he will say "I do not know you" to many who 'claim' to be followers of Christ ... who have prophesied in His name.

So NO ... I will not OWN up to them as you suggest I should. Not even Christ will.
Whatever. Osteen is a preacher by definition. You are judging him unworthy of the title. That's fine. You have that right. But be honest about what you're doing here.

Whatever. Osteen is a preacher by definition. You are judging him unworthy of the title. That's fine. You have that right. But be honest about what you're doing here.
Whatever. I'm classifying him as a motivational speaker. That is what I am doing here. Is Tony Robbins a preacher?

And I am going to end this here until I have listened to a few of his recent sermons. I haven't listened to him in 5 or so years mainly because his whisper-type voice not because of his message. I know many have said he doesn't preach the gospel and only feel good messages and heretical messages of speaking things into existence. And this lines up with what I heard from him those many years ago. And actually I think I was taken aback by that message although I didn't necessary think him an agent of Satan. But I never heard him preach the Gospel.

So I youtubed him and almost all of the sermon titles fit what I was describing with the motivational speaker mentality. However one was called power of the blood. I don't have time to listen to it all right now but the first 15 minutes seems to have a fair share of Gospel teaching. (And people in the comments are still criticizing.) I need to listen to the rest but it seems they should at least acknowledge this is the one and only sermon every year (Easter) that he mentions the Gospel. Instead they all just seem like trolls with agendas.

After I have listened to a few and drawn my conclusion, I will get back with you. I did listen to a couple sermons and an appearnace on the TOday show last year that solidified the interpretation that I have espoused throughout this thread. However, the 10-15 minutes of this one sermon suggest that there may still be good in him. (Even satan knows the scriptures though.) I'll need to see where he goes with it.

And even still, all the other sermons from this year seem to be more in the motivaitonal speaker lineage. At least in title.

ADVERTISEMENT