ADVERTISEMENT

Most every other in-state school now doing this...

I think the forgotten point in this debate is the non-drinking fan who brings his family to games. With booze sales, the % of fans with family will diminish ...replaced by full time drinkers who come to game to drink, not enjoy foot ball. We have too much of that now. Don't want to preach, and Im too far away now days to attend regular games...but with booze sales, I wont bother...and Im not alone.

I can always go to a Colts game for a real miserable experience...vbg

Reactions: IU Scott
Maybe this is tortured logic, but it's all about incrementality. Those who want to drink at the game or during the game already do. So will selling $10 beer really add to the problem?
I can see those that don't want to go out to the car at halftime may buy one. But all my experience has been there is already plenty of alcohol in MS. Selling beer with controls really won't add to the perceived or real problem, except on the rare occasion.

The best argument is that thousands of fans appear to prefer standing in a parking lot next to the stadium rather than going inside.

Maybe this is tortured logic, but it's all about incrementality. Those who want to drink at the game or during the game already do. So will selling $10 beer really add to the problem?
I can see those that don't want to go out to the car at halftime may buy one. But all my experience has been there is already plenty of alcohol in MS. Selling beer with controls really won't add to the perceived or real problem, except on the rare occasion.
LOL I don't think you noticed all those empty seats my friend. Who do you think will fill them up when beers on tap? vbg

AdolescentEarlyGalapagoshawk-max-1mb.gif

i think he meant winos.a little ripple will do ya.
Do you remember Annie Greensprings???

there's a lot of whiners around here. i think they need to drink more and whine less.

LOL...love the humor...but just for a sec of seriousness...is a person who doesn't want to be around drinkers (drunks) a whinner for saying so? What does that make the people who shove it on them? A**holes seems to fit. Remember to laugh...vbg...

A question for anyone...when they talk about having one designated section in the stadium for liquor...do they mean sales in the stands...possessing a beer...or you can buy beer from kiosks inside then take it to any seat? Anyone know? My wife ask...

A question for anyone...when they talk about having one designated section in the stadium for liquor...do they mean sales in the stands...possessing a beer...or you can buy beer from kiosks inside then take it to any seat? Anyone know? My wife ask...
If they do indeed starting selling beer at the games I would hope they have some designated areas where they don't sell it. I know when my kids were young we went to the Reds game and they have a section where you can't have alcohol in that section and that is where we sat.

Reactions: IUCol
Two things here...1st...Upset, is your point that its too bad to fix so lay back and enjoy it...paraphrase here vbg. Or that Im a drunk...give it a try. Cant beat us, join us argument? Please...no...cant touch that for obvious logic gaps. And Tke….just because its always been bad we should make no effort to clean it up?? Guess that's how you become a drunk,,,lol.

Come on, man! Is that the best debate point for booze at games? Its out of control so join in, be happy? How old are you guys?
Never said it was bad. That is your assumption. I am not a believer that you have to fix the problem that a few have at the detriment of everyone else. IMO there is nothing wrong with social drinking, although I don’t really do it myself.

Reactions: IUCol
Never said it was bad. That is your assumption. I am not a believer that you have to fix the problem that a few have at the detriment of everyone else. IMO there is nothing wrong with social drinking, although I don’t really do it myself.
I agree in principle...up to the point my rights gets stepped on. I was raised to fight for my rights...guess that's all Im saying. People have the right to drink...but not in my face. There is a time and a place for everything. College FB games are not the place for booze...though I might as well be spitting into the wind. Liquor is coming to sports...all sports...college today...HS tomorrow. Why not? High Schools need money too...if that's the key metric..how about biddy ball? Oh you think that's going to far? That is my point entirely. Where do you draw the line? I think its easy to figure out. Others don't. Like smokers in the old days, drinkers will get their way. Theres no whiner like a winer...particularily when there's money in it...vbg

Reactions: Sope Creek
Two things here...1st...Upset, is your point that its too bad to fix so lay back and enjoy it...paraphrase here vbg. Or that Im a drunk...give it a try. Cant beat us, join us argument? Please...no...cant touch that for obvious logic gaps. And Tke….just because its always been bad we should make no effort to clean it up?? Guess that's how you become a drunk,,,lol.

Come on, man! Is that the best debate point for booze at games? Its out of control so join in, be happy? How old are you guys?
No, my point is why decide to not go to a game over a silly reason like allowing beer being sold? People are going to drink beforehand anyway. I doubt tailgating will ever be outlawed. I can think of many other reasons not to attend a game, but the beer topic seems like a petty excuse to me.

Petty? Pretty damn insulting about what important to me...aren't you? Is that the best argument you can come up with? Calling names? The Trump Philosophy...you know...cant think of a good point so name call.

Sorry, I was trying to have a real debate.

I think the forgotten point in this debate is the non-drinking fan who brings his family to games. With booze sales, the % of fans with family will diminish ...replaced by full time drinkers who come to game to drink, not enjoy foot ball. We have too much of that now. Don't want to preach, and Im too far away now days to attend regular games...but with booze sales, I wont bother...and Im not alone.

I can always go to a Colts game for a real miserable experience...vbg

Beer sales in the stadium general areas IMO won't increase the number of over served patrons. The price and line length will keep a lid on that. What we all saw at the bucket game was a concessions cluster fork. The tailgates for which IU is famous provides whatever level of drunkenness you do and will see.

Pass outs will be finally revoked in order to keep the concession sales inside as with other venues, but again, those that want to leave will...and those of us who want to walk 54 yards to the tailgate and come back in will simply buy a second cheap single.

I believe it is possession. The problem with this is that lots of fan seats would need to be relocated (in and out of the heathen areas). THAT will suck for all involved...what a dogfight.

Petty? Pretty damn insulting about what important to me...aren't you? Is that the best argument you can come up with? Calling names? The Trump Philosophy...you know...cant think of a good point so name call.

So, when you attend games, do you insist that those who park and tailgate near you abstain from drinking? If so, how do you inform them that they need to not engage in that activity (something that is technically against the rules at IU but largely unenforced by police and security)? Do you park in “no drinking” designated areas, which are available at several stadiums (including a few I’m aware of in the BiG 10)? Have you pressed the IU athletic department to designate such zones at MS? Finally, since you’re interested in a reasoned debate, what areas of compromise would you be willing to accept in order to agree to alcohol sales in the stadium?

So, when you attend games, do you insist that those who park and tailgate near you abstain from drinking? If so, how do you inform them that they need to not engage in that activity (something that is technically against the rules at IU but largely unenforced by police and security)? Do you park in “no drinking” designated areas, which are available at several stadiums (including a few I’m aware of in the BiG 10)? Have you pressed the IU athletic department to designate such zones at MS? Finally, since you’re interested in a reasoned debate, what areas of compromise would you be willing to accept in order to agree to alcohol sales in the stadium?
Two things: first, I don't watch ballgames from the parking lot so I don't hang out there for obvious reasons. Its a drunks paradise. But if you are so needy for a drink, do it there and stay there.

Second, there is no comprise in right and wrong. There is no place for liquor in amateur atheletics...just like gambling. If you gotta drink, do so in private. There is no public venue I condone booze because of what it does to those who drink, but cant see it themselves. You ever watch an English soccer game? Yeah, that's booze fueled riots...coming to a stadium near you...well, maybe not that bad...vbg...

Even if drinking was confined to a bar inside the stadium that wont prevent drunk fans from going to their seat. I wish there was a compromise, but drinkers always grab for more. this is an old old debate. Its moot. Booze will be sold in amateur venues. HSs are next.

If people didn't get drunk...I'd have no problem with drinking at all. But 66 years old, I've seen where way too many "casual" drinkers end up. Its no good for anyone.

LOL I don't think you noticed all those empty seats my friend. Who do you think will fill them up when beers on tap? vbg
Yea, I noticed the empty seats. It’s because the product is not as compelling enough to fill the stands. I doubt there are many fans saying, “You know, I would buy a ticket and attend the games if only they sold beer...especially the $10 kind.”
THAT is tortured logic.

Second, there is no comprise in right and wrong. There is no place for liquor in amateur atheletics...just like gambling. If you gotta drink, do so in private. There is no public venue I condone booze because of what it does to those who drink, but cant see it themselves. You ever watch an English soccer game? Yeah, that's booze fueled riots...coming to a stadium near you...well, maybe not that bad...vbg...
Carrie Nation approves this message.

I agree in principle...up to the point my rights gets stepped on. I was raised to fight for my rights...guess that's all Im saying. People have the right to drink...but not in my face. There is a time and a place for everything. College FB games are not the place for booze...though I might as well be spitting into the wind. Liquor is coming to sports...all sports...college today...HS tomorrow. Why not? High Schools need money too...if that's the key metric..how about biddy ball? Oh you think that's going to far? That is my point entirely. Where do you draw the line? I think its easy to figure out. Others don't. Like smokers in the old days, drinkers will get their way. Theres no whiner like a winer...particularily when there's money in it...vbg
Another thing is I don't like being on the roads with these drunks driving home

Another thing is I don't like being on the roads with these drunks driving home

I agree with you and that was my original fired up stance against it a few years back (maybe as recently as last year)... The reality (in my opinion) is however, that we already are on the road with the drunks (most of whom become that way tailgating). By bringing a guy inside the stadium, having him drink beer versus hard liquor and cutting him off 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter we "might" actually keep-em at .007 versus .027 BAC (blood alcohol content)...

Once again, I really don't have a personal dog in this fight (aside from shielding my grandson from the antics of a drunk).

If they sell it I doubt I'll even buy one unless they come up with some type of "Quarry Special" that I just have to try once...

Personally, when I pay for a ticket I'm there to watch the game, not to get tipsy and have to run to the bathroom troughs every 15 minutes...

All that said, evidently a large percentage view the availablity of a beer as a pleasurable part of the game experience and stadium ambience...

If I were Fred I'd have the same cold callers who are attempting to sell tickets throw in a brief survey question as to yeh or ney in regard to beer sales. I'd do the same thing by mail (sent to anyone who's bought a ticket in the past five years) and then I'd ask any of the fan sites with the capability of doing so to conduct surveys too.

Taken together the results of all those surveys should give him a fair idea as to whether it would be productive or counterproductive to sell beer (and wine) inside the stadium...

I agree with you and that was my original fired up stance against it a few years back (maybe as recently as last year)... The reality (in my opinion) is however, that we already are on the road with the drunks (most of whom become that way tailgating). By bringing a guy inside the stadium, having him drink beer versus hard liquor and cutting him off 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter we "might" actually keep-em at .007 versus .027 BAC (blood alcohol content)...

Once again, I really don't have a personal dog in this fight (aside from shielding my grandson from the antics of a drunk).

If they sell it I doubt I'll even buy one unless they come up with some type of "Quarry Special" that I just have to try once...

Personally, when I pay for a ticket I'm there to watch the game, not to get tipsy and have to run to the bathroom troughs every 15 minutes...

All that said, evidently a large percentage view the availablity of a beer as a pleasurable part of the game experience and stadium ambience...

If I were Fred I'd have the same cold callers who are attempting to sell tickets throw in a brief survey question as to yeh or ney in regard to beer sales. I'd do the same thing by mail (sent to anyone who's bought a ticket in the past five years) and then I'd ask any of the fan sites with the capability of doing so to conduct surveys too.

Taken together the results of all those surveys should give him a fair idea as to whether it would be productive or counterproductive to sell beer (and wine) inside the stadium...

as of now, the tailgaters who go to the game have 4 hours to shake it off before driving home.

while i have no stats, i'm guessing most of those who just tailgate but don't attend, are local or here visiting someone local, and didn't make a 2 hr drive to just tailgate then head straight back home.

i understand many good people need that alcohol buzz to enjoy the game more.

to those i say drink up before heading in, and give yourself that 4 hr window to sober up some before heading home.

on a side note, i noticed no one took on my post regarding schools in states that have legalized pot, or my reference therein to Doris, Rock, and VIP, the forerunner of "edibles".

Two things: first, I don't watch ballgames from the parking lot so I don't hang out there for obvious reasons. Its a drunks paradise. But if you are so needy for a drink, do it there and stay there.

Even if drinking was confined to a bar inside the stadium that wont prevent drunk fans from going to their seat. I wish there was a compromise, but drinkers always grab for more. this is an old old debate. Its moot. Booze will be sold in amateur venues. HSs are next.

If people didn't get drunk...I'd have no problem with drinking at all. But 66 years old, I've seen where way too many "casual" drinkers end up. Its no good for anyone.

You may turn out to be in the 51% against because from where I usually sit (generally, high middle, west) I have a pretty decent overview of not only the field but also the crowd below me and from what I believe I'm seeing, there's an amazingly large number of families (with young children) seated in the season ticket sections... at least 30% (or more) from what I've seen (and I'm leaning towards the low number)...

Fred would certainly be well advised to poll, at minimum, the season ticket holders prior to making a decision.

As I've noted, I've turned to the dark side (for beer/wine sales) but that doesn't mean I'm right (it's a very, very rare thing but..., occasionally..., I'm wrong;) gasp...)...:D

Well, right and wrong is obviously a subjective standard where this subject is concerned, though it’s clear that you feel you should impose your standards on other adults.

I am curious as to your absolutist views on liquor and amateur sports, understanding that Anheuser Busch has sponsored IU football and basketball games intermittently for decades. Have you communicated your objection to this practice to the appropriate people at IU?

Last edited:
Well, right and wrong is obviously a subject standard where this subject is concerned, though it’s clear that you feel you should impose your standards on other adults.

I am curious as to your absolutist views on liquor and amateur sports, understanding that Anheuser Busch has sponsored IU football and basketball games intermittently for decades. Have you communicated your objection to this practice to the appropriate people at IU?
If MS-13 wanted to sponsor IU BB...would that make it okay to let them? What if they offered more many than the Busch family? Is money the key criteria?

And aren't you imposing on me your drinking? Rhetorical of course...but what is the difference? The way to solve it is to keep the public venues free for booze. Drink on private property all you want. But I have as much right to not be around booze as you have to drink it...

If MS-13 wanted to sponsor IU BB...would that make it okay to let them? What if they offered more many than the Busch family? Is money the key criteria?

And aren't you imposing on me your drinking? Rhetorical of course...but what is the difference? The way to solve it is to keep the public venues free for booze. Drink on private property all you want. But I have as much right to not be around booze as you have to drink it...
Your analog is a comparison of drinking, a legal activity, with a gang known for violence, murder and other illegal activities? Really?

And no one has insisted that you drink, so the difference is obvious.

Where we agree is that you have the right to not be around booze. So, by all means, don’t go to bars, restaurants or other publicly accessible venues that serve alcohol, including any sports stadium that serves it. That is your absolute right and I fully support your exercise of it. And everyone gets what they want. Good solution.

Last edited:
Sorry I disagree. I am in favor of selling beer & wine at games with limitations. I am also in favor of dedicating seating areas within the stadium that will be alcohol free zones. It's a revenue stream for the athletic department that is needed and maybe it will induce a few more fans inside Memorial Stadium.
The logical place to sell and drink at Memorial Stadium would be the area Fred has designated for kids. I wonder if an area at the opposite end could be created for adults to drink?

Just spoke with Fred and he wants to know exactly how much money they're offering? Said he couldn't guarantee any naming rights however... ;)

Yea, I noticed the empty seats. It’s because the product is not as compelling enough to fill the stands. I doubt there are many fans saying, “You know, I would buy a ticket and attend the games if only they sold beer...especially the $10 kind.”
THAT is tortured logic.

Selling beer and wine will not sell seats and won't keep many inside at half. It is purely a highly profitable revenue play, particularly if they take away pass outs. Winning is what fills stadiums, always has been...always will be.

As a social moderate I am offended by both the FOX and MSNBC crowds ranting whatever they are told to rant.... Can we please get a "no political discussion" section? That would be great...

I have as much right to not be around mindless political sheep as you do to be one.

Name calling? A bit dramatic aren't you? Assuming you have attended games in the past, I guarantee you've been seated around others who have already thrown back a few. Did it bother you back then? Or is it just the potential inside sales? Either way, you're going to be around what you don't seem to like at a game, so I'm not sure you have a real argument.

As a social moderate I am offended by both the FOX and MSNBC crowds ranting whatever they are told to rant.... Can we please get a "no political discussion" section? That would be great...

I have as much right to not be around mindless political sheep as you do to be one.
Fox crowd...oh dude,,,you are so far out there....lol...did a fly by huh? Okay...try this, lets wait and see wait those sales do do....hummm...anyway...we'll see...

Name calling? A bit dramatic aren't you? Assuming you have attended games in the past, I guarantee you've been seated around others who have already thrown back a few. Did it bother you back then? Or is it just the potential inside sales? Either way, you're going to be around what you don't seem to like at a game, so I'm not sure you have a real argument.
I guess the insult in in the ear of the offended,,,isn't it...lol come on you can do better than that...vbg

Another thing I hat eis that it seems like people I sit by is always getting up going to the concession stand or the bathroom. The other day I went to the Reds game and the people sitting in my row probably got up at least once an inning so you have to get up and they get in your way of watching the game.

Another thing I hat eis that it seems like people I sit by is always getting up going to the concession stand or the bathroom. The other day I went to the Reds game and the people sitting in my row probably got up at least once an inning so you have to get up and they get in your way of watching the game.

Maybe there is a "get up only once section"

We can personalize this bad boy by row.

NERDS!!

f11b55a3-dd4d-48f0-a09f-190bee019d55_screenshot.jpg

Jesus. The hand-wringing here about selling alcohol...at a football game.... is embarrassing.

I can get a double Crown and Diet at a 10:30am showing of the Ringling Brothers or "Frozen on Ice", and we have people scared about selling beer.... BEER... at a BCS-level football school? :D. Hilarious.

Reactions: Upset Alert
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT