ADVERTISEMENT

More

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Looking at the Big Ten stats, the gap between OSU and IU is not that big.

The meaningfuls:

Average Points Scored - they are 2 (46) - we are 3 (34). They loaded up on Nebraska (52) and Rutgers (49). We've been steady - left some on the field against MSU especially. But 46 is strong.

Average points given up - we're a bit better (19 versus 23). We did better against Rutgers (we gave up 21 - they gave up 27). They did better against Penn State (we gave up 35 - they gave em 25).

They run it for more yards - we throw for more. Fields is more accurate - throws no picks, but ...

The BIG difference? They have picked off 1 - we have picked off 10. But Fields doesn't throw picks. Can we pick him?

An interesting thing - especially considering history - our opponents get penalized more than us! Seems like they can't handle us? OSU had 80 yards in penalties against Penn State - we had 31. Penn State got 100 yards in penalties against us - 31 against OSU. Rutgers got 83 against OSU and 119 against us. We are hard to play against. Also, we have 12 sacks - OSU has 9 and got 5 of them against Penn State.

Odd that they gave Rutgers more rushing than we did.

If we play clean, and they play clean, their passing strength will be against our secondary strength. Their pass defense is also a strength against our strength in passing.
If rushing decides it, we probably don't win.

We have more continuity (more lettermen returning - more starters returning) and have played 4. They are coming off a Covid-bye.

Our best game versus their best game?
Our best game versus their B game?

We can do this.
Don't get on the bus Saturday if you don't believe.

PS - stats don't tell the whole story. The rest of the football world sorta likes our cute little story and thinks we get served up reality this week. That's one way to look at it. Another way is to punch the Haves in thier big arrogant face and ask em if they want some more. I like our team. I hate Ahia State.

My word for the week - Prove It.

You make really good points based on facts and good observations. I was there in 1967 when we beat the #3 ranked(I think) Boilermakers and few thought if would really happen. The Star's headline that Saturday morning on the front page was "Purdue favored by 7 (I can't remember the spread), IU by thousands". On that one day IU was the better team and that is what we will need to be next Saturday for those 60 minutes. This IU team is good with only the run game holding us back from being really good.

If you pressure and contain Fields, he will make mistakes and throw interceptions. Our secondary is really good. If we can make him do that, we can win.

I hope you are right - both that he will make mistakes and that we can pressure him.

I think that if we can get an early score, preferably a lead, pressure him, make him make a mistake and create a little doubt in them, and then keep playing at that same high level ...

I really believe in Penix, Whop, Fryfogle and the others. With or without a high-level run game, we have been able to score.

I REALLY REALLY thought that we were going to beat Ohio State last year (assuming Penix, who was questionable for the game, played). I was sorely mistaken. 2019 Ohio State might have been the best team that I've ever seen us take the field against. I really love our team, but I'm much more cautiously optimistic than last year.

With that being said, Michigan housed us last year in Bloomington and looks like a clown show this year.

The meaningfuls:

Average Points Scored - they are 2 (46) - we are 3 (34). They loaded up on Nebraska (52) and Rutgers (49). We've been steady - left some on the field against MSU especially. But 46 is strong.

Average points given up - we're a bit better (19 versus 23). We did better against Rutgers (we gave up 21 - they gave up 27). They did better against Penn State (we gave up 35 - they gave em 25).

They run it for more yards - we throw for more. Fields is more accurate - throws no picks, but ...

The BIG difference? They have picked off 1 - we have picked off 10. But Fields doesn't throw picks. Can we pick him?

An interesting thing - especially considering history - our opponents get penalized more than us! Seems like they can't handle us? OSU had 80 yards in penalties against Penn State - we had 31. Penn State got 100 yards in penalties against us - 31 against OSU. Rutgers got 83 against OSU and 119 against us. We are hard to play against. Also, we have 12 sacks - OSU has 9 and got 5 of them against Penn State.

If we play clean, and they play clean, their passing strength will be against our secondary strength. Their pass defense is also a strength against our strength in passing.

We have more continuity (more lettermen returning - more starters returning) and have played 4. They are coming off a Covid-bye.

We can do this.

PS - stats don't tell the whole story. The rest of the football world sorta likes our cute little story and thinks we get served up reality this week. That's one way to look at it. Another way is to punch the Haves in thier big arrogant face and ask em if they want some more. I like our team. I hate Ahia State.

That's 2 words. lol

Every team that faces Fields and company needs to worry about defense. This team is far better than any we've played this season and can light up the scoreboard with explosive plays. Our secondary will be tested early and often.
I'm not worried about the secondary, per se. Like I think they can hold their own with anyone in the country.

I'm super anxious about not being able to get pressure even sending LBs. The DBs can't cover everywhere indefinitely.

I think we'll see blitzes every down with the DEs peeling back into coverage like we saw against Michigan. Best bet getting to Fields will be an OL breakdown dealing with the blitz vs. winning a bunch of 1-on-1 matchups.

It's going to come down to the obvious things. OSU is a Kevin Wilson type of team that wants to put a lot of points up on the board. If we are trying to get in a foot race with OSU, its not likely we come out on top. If we can get pressure on Fields and gosh forbid force a couple turnovers then we will see a different looking Ohio State than the country has seen lately. Fields has been able to have his way with teams with little concern of making big mistakes. That could happen again but then again, he hasn't seen a secondary like ours this year either.

I'm not worried about the secondary, per se. Like I think they can hold their own with anyone in the country.

I'm super anxious about not being able to get pressure even sending LBs. The DBs can't cover everywhere indefinitely.

I think we'll see blitzes every down with the DEs peeling back into coverage like we saw against Michigan. Best bet getting to Fields will be an OL breakdown dealing with the blitz vs. winning a bunch of 1-on-1 matchups.
Completely agree. It'll be blitzes all afternoon.

I read today that we've given up 14 pass plays of 20+ yards this season. In the conference, only Rutgers, Michigan and Illinois are worse in that category. That's a scary stat going into a game against Justin Fields.

Hopefully the zone coverage behind the pressures will get the job done.

Reactions: vesuvius13

The meaningfuls:

We can do this.

IU has whopped Ahia state 12 times...10 of those wins have been in the shoe & 4 of the 5 ties have been on their turf...just saying...

Would like to see Tim Baldwin get some touches Saturday- I liked what I saw of him. But also like Stevie Scott the load to try and wear defenses down as well.

Penix has the talent to beat OSU, but thought his footwork and perhaps even decision making was sloppy vs MSU. That could get exploited badly vs OSU, but also could see him/Sheridan working hard to clean that up this week.

I like IU being in a confident game rhythm bs OSU having the long time off (yes to prepare) as they could be a bit rusty to start the game to get going.

OSU has been down before so no lead is safe, have to keep grinding till the clock says zero. But I think this team has the fight in them to give OSU a real run for their money and possibly pull it off. TBD

This will be a tough game for IU but they have the players to match up well with OSU. Penix will need to be on target pass after pass with our receiver catching everything. Defense is playing well and we have areas that should match up well with their offense. The front has the talent and ability to put pressure on Fields even if it takes some secondary blitzes. How well each QB deals with the opponent's defense will determine how the game will go as both will face some pressure. It will be very important for STs to play very well not having mistakes that change the game.

IU has good chance to beat OSU but OSU has the opportunity to set an example; I like our guys toughness to not let OSU do that.

I personally think the 14 passes over 20 yards is a little deceiving because a lot of them came when teams were down multiple scores and throwing everything deep (and the psu game where the defense was gassed).
For instance the michigan game had multiple passes of 20+ with michigan trying to play catchup but that eventually led to 2 ints. Same with rutgers down multiple scores just trying to get in the endzone. Honestly a lot of our stats are deceiving this year. If you look at all of our stats aside from average score you would thing this team isnt very good but if you watch them play they are very good

I personally think the 14 passes over 20 yards is a little deceiving because a lot of them came when teams were down multiple scores and throwing everything deep (and the psu game where the defense was gassed).
For instance the michigan game had multiple passes of 20+ with michigan trying to play catchup but that eventually led to 2 ints. Same with rutgers down multiple scores just trying to get in the endzone. Honestly a lot of our stats are deceiving this year. If you look at all of our stats aside from average score you would thing this team isnt very good but if you watch them play they are very good
I think we are very good. I know we are not Ohio State good. That doesn't mean we can't beat them, but it will require near flawless play and limiting explosive plays by Ohio State.

Think OSU not having a game last week hurts more than helps...seasons can be about learning from games, not just more practice only. Still think OSU reads 21+ favorites and deep down thinks "we're going to destroy their spirit when we crush them" no matter what coaches tell them. So IF IU gets an early score & pick, goes up 14 -0 or something, could see them being in freak out mode. *Granted, they could get poised, find their religion and definitely mount a come back, but it would also be a "new" IU team that would be building off of the momentum and playing with more confidence, not a fear of losing.

OL will need to be on top of game and Penix will need to look sharper than some of his laissez faire attitude against MSU. If IU keeps it close, think IU is the one more nervous than the "we have nothing to lose" Hoosiers.

Think OSU not having a game last week hurts more than helps...seasons can be about learning from games, not just more practice only. Still think OSU reads 21+ favorites and deep down thinks "we're going to destroy their spirit when we crush them" no matter what coaches tell them. So IF IU gets an early score & pick, goes up 14 -0 or something, could see them being in freak out mode. *Granted, they could get poised, find their religion and definitely mount a come back, but it would also be a "new" IU team that would be building off of the momentum and playing with more confidence, not a fear of losing.

OL will need to be on top of game and Penix will need to look sharper than some of his laissez faire attitude against MSU. If IU keeps it close, think IU is the one more nervous than the "we have nothing to lose" Hoosiers.
This is an IU/Ohio State game unlike any previous game in the series. It's the first time in history that it's a Top 10 match-up. Given IU's #9 ranking, there's not a chance they're looking past us. On the contrary, as this is OSU's only scheduled game against a Top 10 opponent and with Illinois, Michigan State and Michigan to follow, this is a rare opportunity for them to impress the College Football Playoff selection committee this season. We will get their very best effort.

I don't know what to expect. The game could be over at halftime, or it could be tight late in the 4th quarter. A loss for the Hoosiers would be disappointing but would not close the door on a very nice season. An IU win, on the other hand, could propel us to the greatest season in school history, with the CFP immediately becoming a realistic goal.

I'm looking forward to The Darkest Day II

I'm predicting a run on this stuff in Ohio starting around 5pm Saturday evening... (along with red and/or gray paint)...😉

- Spoiler: That's DAP Wall Repair Patch above -😀

Last edited:
This will be a tough game for IU but they have the players to match up well with OSU. Penix will need to be on target pass after pass with our receiver catching everything. Defense is playing well and we have areas that should match up well with their offense. The front has the talent and ability to put pressure on Fields even if it takes some secondary blitzes. How well each QB deals with the opponent's defense will determine how the game will go as both will face some pressure. It will be very important for STs to play very well not having mistakes that change the game.

IU has good chance to beat OSU but OSU has the opportunity to set an example; I like our guys toughness to not let OSU do that.

The entire football world outside of Columbus and West Laffy will be IU fans Sat.

A tremendous opportunity.

Ugh. I remember that game. Was it Scott Bonnell who was kicker that day?
It was the Dad of current QB2 Jack Tuttle. I believe his first name is Jay.

Also, if IU special teams field a pooch kick and a pooch following a late punt following a safety in Columbus in 1989, we could have had a 4th consecutive win over OSU.

Woulda shoulda couda.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
It was the Dad of current QB2 Jack Tuttle. I believe his first name is Jay.

Also, if IU special teams field a pooch kick and a pint following a late punt following a safety in Columbus in 1989, we could have had a 4th consecutive win over OSU.

Woulda shoulda couda.
I didn't remember who it was, just remember that we missed a couple of chip shots and passed on one or two other attempts that PS would have surely converted to points. I was sitting directly behind a couple of OSU fans who were actually rooting for us - they wanted Earle Bruce fired that badly. I'll bet those guys were losing their freaking minds the next two years.

Reactions: ESalum86 and DANC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT